Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

joeysoap wrote: »
    You have it right. They want as many as possible going for priority and 2 cabin bags.

Correct as you don’t have to check in your cabin bag.

Enjoy it now those prices are ‘introductory’ prices. :)
    Yes, it is known in the marketing world as a "come on" - think about it, you turn up at the airport dragging your bags and with your boarding pass, you generated, in your hot little hand, 8€ lighter. They wave you through, no baggage labelling, you hold out your pass and your passport (open at the picture page of course) and climb up the steps with you bags, get into your seat (what price seat if you want leg room?) after lifting your 10kg into the rack. 
    RyR did what? Bought the plane at a big discount from Boeing, recruited pilots who paid for their training and their uniforms; ditto the cabin staff; and took you to your destination. 
    Who wins?and next year you will pay €12 or maybe more if you want legroom. 
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Allinall

BarryM wrote: »
    Yes, it is known in the marketing world as a "come on" - think about it, you turn up at the airport dragging your bags and with your boarding pass, you generated, in your hot little hand, 8€ lighter. They wave you through, no baggage labelling, you hold out your pass and your passport (open at the picture page of course) and climb up the steps with you bags, get into your seat (what price seat if you want leg room?) after lifting your 10kg into the rack. 
    RyR did what? Bought the plane at a big discount from Boeing, recruited pilots who paid for their training and their uniforms; ditto the cabin staff; and took you to your destination. 
    Who wins?and next year you will pay €12 or maybe more if you want legroom. 
    Enjoy

Conveniently ignoring how much the flight itself cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

If you have - what used to be a check in bag- and - what used to a carry on bag then plus is probably cheaper now,

Your ‘bigger’ bag is checked in, your can take your wheelie bag on board, you have a fair choice of seats, you don’t have to wait to check in and you have priority boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Just to let people know, if you had any flight credit from booking through Ryanair rooms, that credit may be gone since the website upgrade. I've just gone to book a flight and there's no credit there and it's not passed it's expiry.

In addition, I notice that if you're booking flights for more than one person, there's no option to just pay for one person to get priority boarding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

whampiri wrote: »
    Just to let people know, if you had any flight credit from booking through Ryanair rooms, that credit may be gone since the website upgrade. I've just gone to book a flight and there's no credit there and it's not passed it's expiry.

In addition, I notice that if you're booking flights for more than one person, there's no option to just pay for one person to get priority boarding etc.

Good luck getting that credit back.

Anyone remember the €10 credit they were offering a few years ago for signing up to MyRyanair? Yeah, they never gave it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

I contacted their customer service. Not holding my breath.

Allinall wrote: »
    Conveniently ignoring how much the flight itself cost.

Not ignoring, nowadays a RyR flight to a destination where other airlines fly, is, more or less, the same price as the others.
    If you get in very early you can get a deal, but the later you book, the higher the price, same as other airlines.

Finally, before RyR you paid and arm and a leg, but they carried your bag...:pac:

My post was not anti RyR, just a description of the process, same as the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Not ignoring, nowadays a RyR flight to a destination where other airlines fly, is, more or less, the same price as the others.
    If you get in very early you can get a deal, but the later you book, the higher the price, same as other airlines.

Finally, before RyR you paid and arm and a leg, but they carried your bag...:pac:

My post was not anti RyR, just a description of the process, same as the others.

Went to the Canaries a couple of weeks ago, booked a couple of weeks beforehand, Aer Lingus were hunrdeds dearer for flights at pretty much the same times, same airports. And they've been consistently dearer for most flights I've taken over at least the past five years. I'd fly with them if they were cheaper despite the horrendous service I've had from them in the past, but they almost never are.

MOH wrote: »
    Went to the Canaries a couple of weeks ago, booked a couple of weeks beforehand, Aer Lingus were hunrdeds dearer for flights at pretty much the same times, same airports. And they've been consistently dearer for most flights I've taken over at least the past five years. I'd fly with them if they were cheaper despite the horrendous service I've had from them in the past, but they almost never are.

You don't have to fly AL, especially not when they know the Canaries can carry the prices, lots of people "prefer" to travel AL, cannot think why.

Also, loads of other airlines, mostly "foreign", fly to the Canaries, RyR competes with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

MOH wrote: »

Any saving I made with Ryanair was wiped out by being left stranded in Warsaw and the only option offered was to take a flight to an airport in a Different country and pay around 300 euros for a taxi home (If I could even manage to get one to take us)

Don't get me wrong, I'll still use Ryanair, on some routes there isn't really and option, just I'd avoid using to a destinations with a Mickey Mouse airport.

E.G.
    Modlin Airport vs Chopin
    Charerloi vs Zavantem
    Weeze vs Dusseldorf

Better to pay the extra few quid and fly to a decent airport so you have options when your flight gets cancelled.

• Advertisement

I’m flying to Faro next week. €35 with Ry, + 8 for priority (or + 10 for cabin bag checked in.)7am- ish flight.

AL are charging €65. Can take bag onboard. 1pm - ish flight. For €20 diff, for me it’s a no brainer anyway. AL win this one , a) time is better for me b) softer seats.

Returning with RY. Price wins on this one.

Pick n mix .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭deezell

Even if you make a saving with RA, after enduring all the Byzantine bag rules, there's always other fear factors. Crappy outlying airports as mentioned, or when if using the same main airport (eg Schipol in Holland), you have to depart from a gulag like tin shed, crammed in and seatless. (I can't imagine what it must be like to suffer a 2-3 hour delay in those circumstances). Then there's the flight itself. I've suffered a foodless and wine/coffee less return flight in a manky plane from the canaries, the outbound flight being full and those passengers obviously in party mood. I witnessed a cabin crew removing toilet tissue from the jacks to wrap and serve baguettess on a similar return flight, the dried out reheated offerings being the only items left on the menu. Then of course there's the passengers themselves. A single skanky hen party, and it's like the Carrick on Shannon train on Friday. You get what you pay for, and I'm thinking that a saving of up to even a €100 on a trip whose overall door to door cost is running at 600-800 for a couple's city break, is not worth the potential hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Sadly for some of us FR are the only game in town. No alternatives.

Sadly for some of us FR are the only game in town. No alternatives.

Very True. BTW, the flight abbreviation FR, does that stand for 'F****g Ryanair' ? Just wondered.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

You have to admire Ryanair's ability to find new ways of extracting "optional" extra charges from customers.

To those of us stubborn enough to avoid the credit card charges in the past by using the alternative payment methods or being happy enough to switch seats on board to avoid paying for seats and spend the extra saved in other areas of our lives, the new charge for taking a bag on board is pretty unavoidable unless you are going for a day trip.

I have to say, I really thought that I would see average fare fall to compensate. However, from the couple of flights I have looked to book over the last couple of months for travel after 1 November, that would not appear to be the case.

For me, I'll continue to look for options that minimise the overall cost whether that means flying Ryanair or not. Whilst some trips made this year would not have differed if the new baggage policy been in place, there are definitely a couple of trips that I probably wouldn't have made simply because they wouldn't have reached that pivitol "let's do it" price point. Trips that involve two legs to get to your final destination suddenly also become that little bit less attractive.

Will be an interesting one to watch to see if others follow or use it as a point of differentiation.

Agree. Flying to UK airport to say fly on to Malaga/Faro etc not as doable under the new rules. ( Dublin to Leeds last year €15, Leeds to faro £25. Less than 2 hour stopover involved. Dublin to Faro same date €150)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Bull. Obviously I can't speak for every flight, but I do fly a fair amount from Cork - to London and holidays etc. Aer Lingus (effectively the only other choice) very rarely come within even an asses roar of FR prices - FR are normally much, much cheaper. While I agree their latest baggage rules are taking the piss (and will possibly bite them on the ass), I normally find them fine to deal with. Only ever had one serious delay - for which FR paid me €250 to sit around Gatwick for the day getting trollied - cheers Mick!

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

While I agree their latest baggage rules are taking the piss (and will possibly bite them on the ass)

It's starting to bite ... in order to fill up those planes to 96% capacity they're having to drop base prices to €7.99 flights.

€2 less than there previous minimums, still another €4 to go to make up for the hand baggage charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Nope.

Hi all,

I booked a flight for me and my family, on the same booking, and added priority and 2 cabin bags for myself.

Unfortunately, I can not go on this flight now. Can I transfer the priority and 2 cabin bags to another member of my family on the same booking?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I booked a flight for me and my family, on the same booking, and added priority and 2 cabin bags for myself.

Unfortunately, I can not go on this flight now. Can I transfer the priority and 2 cabin bags to another member of my family on the same booking?

Ask on the Web Chat, if they say no then make sure you check in online and book a middle seat between your family so they have a bit of extra space. Or check one of them in, see which seat it is and then book your one next to it.

Just picked this up on the New York Times - about the latest 737 following the crash in Indonesia

"The pilots’ union for American Airlines, which also flies the Max 8, said Tuesday that the emergency system in question had not been included by Boeing in the standard operating manual. In addition, the flight checklist — which contains information for manually overriding the emergency system — was incorrect, the union said.

The emergency system is intended to maneuver the plane out of a stall, when its nose is often angled too sharply upward. The system automatically pushes the nose down. If activated incorrectly, it could have sent the plane into its fatal dive, especially if the pilots were not properly trained on how to deal with such a situation.

Boeing has delivered 200 of the planes to airlines around the world, with many more in the pipeline. It is already in use in the United States by American Airlines and Southwest, and other customers include Air Canada, Norwegian Air and Icelandair."

and Ryanair, or is it the long distance version?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ryanair do not have any Max (8 or other variants) at the moment.

Bull. Obviously I can't speak for every flight, but I do fly a fair amount from Cork - to London and holidays etc. Aer Lingus (effectively the only other choice) very rarely come within even an asses roar of FR prices - FR are normally much, much cheaper. While I agree their latest baggage rules are taking the piss (and will possibly bite them on the ass), I normally find them fine to deal with. Only ever had one serious delay - for which FR paid me €250 to sit around Gatwick for the day getting trollied - cheers Mick!

I did say "when other AIRLINES".... I didn't mean Cork, where, as I said in another post "people prefer AL, cannot think why" and there is no other choice and relatively few time options.

L1011 wrote: »
    Ryanair do not have any Max (8 or other variants) at the moment.

Good, that's a relief. The NYT article said the Max 8 crew manual was short on details on what to do with the newest stall management options. The FAA has approved an update of the manual.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Ask on the Web Chat, if they say no then make sure you check in online and book a middle seat between your family so they have a bit of extra space. Or check one of them in, see which seat it is and then book your one next to it.

Asked on the Web chat and they changed it to another member of my family with no issues. Happy out and pleasantly surprised!

I did say "when other AIRLINES".... I didn't mean Cork, where, as I said in another post "people prefer AL, cannot think why" and there is no other choice and relatively few time options.

Air Lingus usually have much better slots (Early Morning and late evening)

Don't have some weird baggage Policy

Staff are paid a decent wage

Use the Air Bridge in Airports (So you aren't waiting for a Bus to get to and from the bus)

Have actual connecting flights (not a point to point airline only)

Are in the IAG Group so if your flight is indeed cancelled you can get a flight with another Airline in the IAG Group quite easily with an actual connection rather than Ryanair telling you to fly to stansted, go pickup your luggage, leave through customs check and go back in through security again.

Allow you to sit together without having to pay extra fees.

Fly from Main airports rather than Airports that are 1 or 2 hours away from the City they say it is.

That's all I could think of just in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

redcup342 wrote: »
    Air Lingus usually have much better slots (Early Morning and late evening)

Don't have some weird baggage Policy

Staff are paid a decent wage

Use the Air Bridge in Airports (So you aren't waiting for a Bus to get to and from the bus)

Have actual connecting flights (not a point to point airline only)

Are in the IAG Group so if your flight is indeed cancelled you can get a flight with another Airline in the IAG Group quite easily with an actual connection rather than Ryanair telling you to fly to stansted, go pickup your luggage, leave through customs check and go back in through security again.

Allow you to sit together without having to pay extra fees.

Fly from Main airports rather than Airports that are 1 or 2 hours away from the City they say it is.

That's all I could think of just in 30 seconds.

Some of those points are moot (some are not), Ryanair now use airbridges in many airports, (mainly because they were forced to)

Ryanair offer connections now with its own flights, it sells Air Europa flights and will soon offer inter-airline connecting flights

Ryanair fly to most major airports nowadays, with Heathrow and Charles De Gaulle being the odd ones out. They fly to Frankfurt Main, Amsterdam Schiphol, Madrid, Munich, Barcelona, Gatwick etc.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Some of those points are moot (some are not), Ryanair now use airbridges in many airports, (mainly because they were forced to)

Ryanair offer connections now with its own flights, it sells Air Europa flights and will soon offer inter-airline connecting flights

Ryanair fly to most major airports nowadays, with Heathrow and Charles De Gaulle being the odd ones out. They fly to Frankfurt Main, Amsterdam Schiphol, Madrid, Munich, Barcelona, Gatwick etc.

They fly from Dusseldorf International as well, you just were on a bit of a lucky dip as to weather it was a Ryanair Flight Crew or a Lauda Motion Flight crew depending on which one was on strike.

But their top hubs.
    Stansted (My least favorite airport and in the middle of nowhere)

Milan Bergamo (Middle of nowhere, no air bridge)

Brussels Charleroi (Middle of nowhere, walk to plane)

Barcelona Girona (94 KM from Barcelona, no air bridge)

Frankfurt Hahn (126 km from Frankfurt Main Center, No Airbridge)

Dusseldorf Weeze (90 KM form Dusseldorf, if you have a late flight back, any sort of Delay you are f*cked, will miss your bus and will need to pay around 250 euros for a Taxi, you can't even sleep in the airport, No Air Bridge either and you need to get a bus back to the Terminal)

And to point out, their connecting flights are with another Airline, not their own flights. You can't book a connecting flight and use Lauda Motion as an example.

• Advertisement

The thing with Ryanair is, you don't breathe easy until you are standing at you destination. It always feels like a trial, or endurance test. You can sense this tension from the assembled passengers from check in until you clear the destination airport. I'm sure there are 'I survived Ryanair' lapel badges.

Advertisement