Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

He is odd though and had upset a lot of people, it sounds like he was looking to hang colleagues to get ahead. It's such a weird case / story.

Is the station quiet this evening Frankly. Sure you might get out for a few scoops later.......

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

shocking tale overall but the story of John Wilson taking the horse off the tinker on Grafton St and riding it back to the station surely got plenty of laughs nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Disgusting is an appropriate term but it wasn't Maurice McCabe who deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

What Maurice McCabe was put threw was absolute torture ud nearly breakdown watching everything he and he's family went threw I hope he's well compensated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

cursai wrote: »
    What did he actually expose? That some people didn't like him?

For one thing he exposed a very dangerous precedent, where employees of the State can ruin peoples lives with absolutely no consequence for their actions.

Think about that for one minute.

If he hadn't recorded the meeting in Mullingar, he would have been ruined by the lies of 2 senior Gardaí (Part 2 will cover this).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fair play to Maurice McCabe. He is a brave man and he has done the state a great service.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

TallGlass wrote: »
    So if I was a Garda watching this wanting to speak out, I wouldn't. What have the government done to seriously address this issue.

Absolutely. You'd be crazy to do it.

McCabe said it himself at the start of the programme......if he had any idea where this road was going to take him, he'd never have done it in a million years.

Its just insane what this guy has been put through.

You'd like to think the Charleton tribunal might change things. I seriously doubt it however.

Official Ireland has a long track record of repeated abuses of power by the elite who dine at the top table.

How many tribunals of inquiry have we been through over the last 25 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Seems an odd sort of fellow, upset colleagues every station he went to

Are you a member by any chance??:rolleyes:

Link, proof, do expand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Needles73 wrote: »
    Is the station quiet this evening Frankly. Sure you might get out for a few scoops later.......
    In an unmarked car no doubt..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He is odd though and had upset a lot of people, it sounds like he was looking to hang colleagues to get ahead. It's such a weird case / story.

It's more odd to set up an account to make moronic comment to get your kicks.

Negative marking applies. -57/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

Walked in the front door with his head high. Jesus he's some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

He's a media strawman

F*cking hell. How stupid are you?

And your newly registered thanker :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Dickie9

I'd say every garda that was working tonight had there feet up in the station with there tea and biscuits :)

There is no better way to get ahead than resigning your position.... and calling out inappropriate and sometimes criminal behaviour in your own organisation....

Some people cannot handle courageous people who upset the status quo no matter how corrupt that status quo might be. Perhaps it a colonial thing or a parental problem but I know many people loyal to the Gardaí are disgusted that the Garda force is not held in such high regard anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

gmisk wrote: »
    In an unmarked car no doubt..

The only way to do it, big bag of chips for the few lads back in the station who didn’t get out

I know McCabe was not involved in exposing this particular rot but people should remember this happened in 2017...
    THE ACTING GARDA Commissioner has confirmed he will not be pursuing disciplinary action against anyone in the organisation in relation to the breath test scandal.
    Dónall O Cualáin was speaking in a public session with the Policing Authority this afternoon. He told members that the organisation “unreservedly apologises for the unacceptable behavioural and governance failures” which led to the recording of 1,400,000 phantom breath tests on the garda Pulse system.

He's a media strawman

Another wind-up merchant. McCabe exposed endemic corruption in the Gardaí. In spite of all the vitriol he received, he remained resolute to his principles. For that, he is to be lauded as an honourable public servant who sacrificed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

He's a media strawman

He got disenfranchised after raising issues in Cavan, spotted the fraud with penalty points that was ongoing while he was in Mullingar and raised it, showing to the the RSA etc.

So you could say sour grapes or whatever but at the end of the day he was doing the right thing and exposing fraud. It wasn't like they were 105km/h in a 100 zone, they were serious repeated infringements that endangered life. Everyone should be aggrieved about this fraud.

What happened after that is everything snowballed, instead of the garda management conducting an inquiry and the gardaí cancelling points getting disciplined the whole thing spiralled out of control and went from the sublime to the ridiculous.

So what he ended up exposing without intending to was total corruption and mismanagement right up to the very top of the organisation. 'Disgusting' individuals, closing ranks and doing everything in their power to destroy this man and his life. And as someone else has said in this thread, if they're willing to do this to one of their own, what could they do to an ordinary joe soap.

Fair play to Maurice McCabe, more power to him and pity there aren't ten thousand more like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

How many other campaigns have been orchestrated against innocent people? I wonder how Callinan, Sgt McCabes colleagues with the plastic rat, their 'friends' who blanked them etc enjoyed this evenings programme? A lot of squirming, I bet.
    It beggars belief that Callinan is collecting a big fat pension. He should be behind bars.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

This may seems a bit controversial

what happened to him is sick.

But he does seem like he was an awkward fecker to be honest.
    You wouldn't like to work with him.

I have to agree, he seems to have complained about everyone he ever worked with and in fairness we have spent enough time on him now. I wouldnt like colleagues to be going snitching about me behind my back, there has to be an element of trust between people working together.

The Government have kicked the Gardai up and down the street over this and to be honest I think the vast majority of the Gardai work very hard and do a very good job, we can do without plenty of politicans but we wont last five minutes without the Gardai.

I was led to believe points were being cancelled all over the place but it turns out very few points were actually cancelled and most of the cancelled ones were cancelled for recorded reasons.

I think the new commissioner saying he isnt sure that Callinans costs will be paid will make the general body of Gardai very angry. They are probably angry enough about the top job going to an outsider and who can blame them.

Some people cannot handle courageous people who upset the status quo no matter how corrupt that status quo might be. Perhaps it a colonial thing or a parental problem but I know many people loyal to the Gardaí are disgusted that the Garda force is not held in such high regard anymore.

There's definitely something in that. Like people are more concerned with the perception than the reality, especially the older ones who are trying to maintain some kind of notion they have. Or a notion they think others have.

It's all a crock. Gardai leaving the force in big numbers but nobody wants to hear that or look behind the reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Seems an odd sort of fellow, upset colleagues every station he went to

Go through a systematic, malicious and vindictive smear campaign on a scale like that for having a conscience and sense of duty and try being all sunshine and roses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

For one thing he exposed a very dangerous precedent, where employees of the State can ruin peoples lives with absolutely no consequence for their actions.

Think about that for one minute.

If he hadn't recorded the meeting in Mullingar, he would have been ruined by the lies of 2 senior GardaPart 2 will cover this).

So he just wasnt liked and he recorded it? Is it because it's the gardai in particular that makes it so revalatory? People need to look beyond that and question why others in the organisation haven't backed him up? The whole story is humdrum and the media are making a killing off exposing a petty story. It's only semi curious to us people who don't get a regular glimpse into organisation.
    Frank Serpico he is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

McGuinness said that Callinan told him "a file was being prepared on McCabe"...I wonder was it the TUSLA file he was referring to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

After watching this youd have to wonder if this account was set up someone on the inside to try continue discrediting him...

Frank Serpico he is not.

Interesting comparison.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

archer22 wrote: »
    McGuinness said that Callinan told him "a file was being prepared on McCabe"...I wonder was it the TUSLA file he was referring to ?
    I still don't believe that it was a copy/paste mistake by a lone contractor

tretorn wrote: »
    I think the new commissioner saying he isnt sure that Callinans costs will be paid will make the general body of Gardai very angry. They are probably angry enough about the top job going to an outsider and who can blame them.
    What a load of twaddle.
    Why would the Gardaí give a toss about that lying tossers costs not being paid?

Also if they are p#ssed off at an outsider getting the job.... Who can blame them!?! Me for one...putting the insider Nóirín ó Sullivan in charge after Callinan worked out brilliantly lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I'm hearing words like 'total corruption' and 'right up through the ranks', how come no one else has come forward. The organisation is old fashioned, insular and backward but it's not the Phillipine national police force. Be realistic please.

Advertisement