Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

tretorn wrote: »
    I have to agree, he seems to have complained about everyone he ever worked with and in fairness we have spent enough time on him now. I wouldnt like colleagues to be going snitching about me behind my back, there has to be an element of trust between people working together.

The Government have kicked the Gardai up and down the street over this and to be honest I think the vast majority of the Gardai work very hard and do a very good job, we can do without plenty of politicans but we wont last five minutes without the Gardai.

I was led to believe points were being cancelled all over the place but it turns out very few points were actually cancelled and most of the cancelled ones were cancelled for recorded reasons.

I think the new commissioner saying he isnt sure that Callinans costs will be paid will make the general body of Gardai very angry. They are probably angry enough about the top job going to an outsider and who can blame them.

No, just the incompetent/corrupt ones. Unfortunately quite a few of them it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Arghus wrote: »
    It's usually the awkward feckers who challenge the status quo. But, I see what you mean. But in the case, considering what he helped bring into public light about the culture in the force, then, I guess, too bad about the fellas he worked with.

He was an 'awkward fecker' because he did not tolerate the lazy, seriously negligent habits of the so called 'guardians of the peace' in his station. Too bad for him he did not row along with them. :rolleyes:

But, good for the people of Ireland, that he seemed to have been the only one among his colleagues to possess a conscience and work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Seems an odd sort of fellow, upset colleagues every station he went to

It must have been very upsetting to be reminded to show up for work when rostered.

Seriously, what you're getting from this is that G McC is odd and not the culture of a police force that turns a blind eye to showing up pissed to the scene of an incident when off duty, interfering with the scene and driving the unmarked garda car whilst pissed and off duty? Do you not find that a little "odd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Wheety wrote: »
    Are you a Garda?

lol every time some one doesn't immediately agree with your particular opinion they must be the 5o right ?

its like watching a child throw a tantrum

do you think there are rows of lads and lassies in the Phoenix park typing furiously into social media and boards to counter the partially validated claims of one man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tretorn wrote: »
    I have to agree, he seems to have complained about everyone he ever worked with and in fairness we have spent enough time on him now. I wouldnt like colleagues to be going snitching about me behind my back, there has to be an element of trust between people working together..

This is utter nonsence. The Gardai are not some private enterprise where your point might have some validity in rare cases if ever. The guards are public servents paid for by the tax paying public. They are not ppl who have any alligence to their work colleauges precicely because they are public public public serverts. Its shocking how some ppl dont get that one fundamental point or how it's not condidered important by some. The guards arn't the Klu Klux Klan or a Mexican drug cartel or ISIS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,548 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

There's a lot of ordinary people who had dealings with him who wouldn't call him an honourable man.

The way he was treated by senior management was horrific and he did a good thing by bringing in corruptness to light but that doesn't make him a saint.

we have all come across people who are hard to work with and for.

He seems like a guy who pulled everyone up for everything and we are only hearing his side of the story now.

A reporter who covered the story before - said much the same as above.

It is no excuse for what happened - but I'm sure people didn't like working with him.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The reporter who 'said much the same' wouldn't have been Paul Williams, or his ilk, by any chance? :mad: There were plenty of reporters who were only too happy to listen to Dave Taylor spout the lies Callinan wanted him to put about re Maurice McCabe.

KaneToad wrote: »
    The content is important enough to be presented in a factual manner without the need for arty abstract images and mood music to manipulate the viewers.

Let the facts speak for themselves.

'manipulate the viewers'? Are you for real??

At this stage, the viewers are well acquainted with the facts of the case! The only manipulation carried out was by Callinan and his stooges in the force. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

We hate truth tellers in this country. Honesty is despised. Look at Jonathan Sugarman.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭davidmarsh

eagle eye wrote: »
    There's a lot of ordinary people who had dealings with him who wouldn't call him an honourable man.

The way he was treated by senior management was horrific and he did a good thing by bringing in corruptness to light but that doesn't make him a saint.

By his own admission he became obsessive when it came to highlighting malpractice.

Is it no wonder he became obsessive..

They threw everything they had at the man. If they had anything at all on him, they'd have buried him.

They had nothing. Absolutely nothing. He can only be a man of utmost honour and integrity to come out the far side of this intact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

TallGlass wrote: »
    I am sorry but the RTÉ Player is a joke, it's hopping and buffering all over the place here at 512k. Do RTE invest in anything other than paying high salaries, this is not the first time this has happened when I have gone to watch a popular live programme.

512k? Thats 1990s tier bandwidth. No wonder its buffering!

Awkward ??? The man wanted other gardai to be like him.
    He was paid to do a job and he wanted to do it right .
    What da **** is wrong with people in this country ???
    Members of the force were drink driving , not turning up for work , cancelling penalty points .
    This really is a banana republic .
    Full of gob****es that do a job , take the pay and do **** all .

Spot on!!!

It is shocking that so many people still condone the slapdash attitude the gardaí displayed towards their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Shocking to watch I never knew all the details. Harrowing to watch really.

You turned off the program so why are you still commenting on it?

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

cursai wrote: »
    I still don't believe that it was a copy/paste mistake by a lone contractor
    Theres defo more to that story. I'm also a great believer in the saying 'there's no smoke without fire'. Well never know the truth of it.
    Can you elaborate? You also believe what exactly? Go on, nail your colours to the mast Martin.
    mynamejeff wrote: »
    Are you a Garda?

lol every time some one doesn't immediately agree with your particular opinion they must be the 5o right ?

do you think there are rows of lads and lassies in the Phoenix park typing furiously into social media and boards to counter the partially validated claims of one man.
    Do you think there's none??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion.

Are you a journalist?

You don't find it at least a bit disquieting that the senior Guard in the country saw fit to help blacken the mans name, rather than to actually even engage with some of the underlying issues that McCabe rose in the first place?
    You don't find that a bit disturbing?

Maybe you don't regard the actual complaints that McCabe initially rose to be of incredible significance in and of themselves, but isn't that almost beside the point?

What's more significant in many ways is how the McCabe story clearly shows a culture in place from the top down in the organisation to not ask questions and ostracise those that do. It's a pretty bad reflection on the established way of doing things in what is supposed to be our forces of law and order. To even indirectly bring this to light is a public service and to rage against the McCabe story because you think it's been overblown by the media is missing the point in the extreme IMO.

Seems an odd sort of fellow, upset colleagues every station he went to

Another one! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What an odd fellow, someone who had a conscience about doing his job properly!:eek:

Upsetting colleagues who were sloppy and negligent about their duties!! :eek:

What low standards and ethics some people on here seem to possess. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I still don't believe that it was a copy/paste mistake by a lone contractor
    Theres defo more to that story. I'm also a great believer in the saying 'there's no smoke without fire'. Well never know the truth of it.
    Can you elaborate? You also believe what exactly? Go on, nail your colours to the mast Martin.
    Are you a Garda?

Do you think there's none??
    TallGlass wrote: »
    I am sorry but the RTÉ Player is a joke, it's hopping and buffering all over the place here at 512k. Do RTE invest in anything other than paying high salaries, this is not the first time this has happened when I have gone to watch a popular live programme.

512k? Thats 1990s tier bandwidth. No wonder its buffering!
    When it's set to auto on mine, it chooses 512k.
    And no, there was no 512k in Ireland in the 1990s. Try mid 2000s before anyone had a domestic 1mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

I think all guards at times are not liked for one reason or another, but for the number one to call him a kiddy fiddler and Tulsa to make a report that he was interfering with his on kids is serious sh1t that will always be associated with the man.
    I have a good friend who works in the civil service and says that there is two types of worker the do and the don’t, the ones that wants that to do work and the ones that don’t and management think more of the don’t. Sums up the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Yeah.

• Advertisement

His colleagues turned up at the scene of a suicide locked. And then drove off in the unmarked car.

Yep, upsetting people like that must make him the odd one.

+100

At least Drew Harris is considering asking for the plug to be pulled on funding his defence.

Hope he does more than consider it!

I'm curious to know if any if the friends who turned their backs on the couple have since apologised.

Hope they felt duly ashamed if they were watching Lorraine McCabe tonight.

Icsics wrote: »
    Unbelievable, I hope the McCabes get millions

And I hope we don't have to pay for Callinan's defense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

brooke 2 wrote: »
    And I hope we don't have to pay for Callinan's defense!

Callinan's pension and those of all the others involved should be taken and given to the McCabe family as compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Think about that for one minute.

If he hadn't recorded the meeting in Mullingar, he would have been ruined by the lies of 2 senior Gardaí (Part 2 will cover this).

This is not true. Those guards are suing for libel. Maurice McCabe's version of events from that meeting are the same as those of the guards. Stick to the facts.

Maurice McCabe was brave and honest and exposed malpractice in his job. There is no need to sensational the events. The facts speak for themselves and are there for all to read in the tribunal's publications. Maurice McCabe can hold his head high.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

That you, Callinan?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Who is called to be a saint in the course of their work life?
    He's been accused of several horrific things he did not too. I doubt any of those wishing to do his down would've left out details of anything dishonorable he'd done if it could be proved.

He did his duty and more than during his work life. Even if he was an obnoxious ass behind the scene, he has done absolutely nothing to deserve what the treatment he got from colleagues all the way up through the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

What did he actually expose? That some people didn't like him?

He's a media strawman

What did he expose ?

Are you having a laugh.

He exposed the level of messing and ineptitude at the highest levels of policing in this state.

For that Garda Senior Management tried to fúcking bury him, the veracity and downright thuggery of which would be more reserved for Mosad agents than so called upholders of the peace and policing of this bloody country.

But you know all that when your contributions were nothing more than apologetics in this very long thread that sets out the whole sad, sorry and quite "disgusting" mess.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057598962

The timing of the RTE programme couldn't be better. Callinan's legal fees should not be paid by you and me. He should pay for it all himself. And it currently under discussion.

Criminal and Civil proceedings should follow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

This may seems a bit controversial

what happened to him is sick.

But he does seem like he was an awkward fecker to be honest.
    You wouldn't like to work with him.

More character and bravery in him than 99% of the population.

He has done the state a good service. Your point is completely irrelevant.

If taking your job serious, being ethical and expecting the same standards of others is considered "awkward" then god fooking help us as country.

There really is no hope. This behaviour originates from the top down beginning at the door of the Taosigh, past and present and will take a strong leader to overturn the culture.

Advertisement