Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whistleblower: Maurice McCabe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Yawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    More character and bravery in him than 99% of the population.

He has done the state a good service. Your point is completely irrelevant.

If taking your job serious, being ethical and expecting the same standards of others is considered "awkward" then god fooking help us as country.

There really is no hope. This behaviour originates from the top down beginning at the door of the Taosigh, past and present and will take a strong leader to overturn the culture.

In fairness when Varadkar was made aware of what was going on when he was minister for transport he brought it to the attention of the public straightaway and that’s when the whole scandal made the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaintyDavy

Just got finished watching tonights episode, to say im shocked to the core would be an understatement. What they done to that man was disgusting.

I hope he gets millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

makes you wonder what other good and innocent people have been destroyed at the hands of the gardai. The chances of this being a once off laps in integrity are nil. This is an organisation well versed in malice. Filthy dirty institution.

I ordinarily decry big compo payouts but in this case I hope mccabe gets a big cheque for services rendered. Ideally it would come out of the pension pots of callihan and taylor but we don't do consequences in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Any sign of those 5 mobile phones and laptops?

You know, the ones possibly with information about policing and security in the state? At the highest levels of An Garda Siochána

Considering they went after McCabe for a laptop he never even had....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

makes you wonder what other good and innocent people have been destroyed at the hands of the gardai. The chances of this being a once off laps in integrity are nil. This is an organisation well versed in malice. Filthy dirty institution.

I ordinarily decry big compo payouts but in this case I hope mccabe gets a big cheque for services rendered. Ideally it would come out of the pension pots of callihan and taylor but we don't do consequences in this country.

Let’s be honest it’s a minority of the Gardaí.

Let’s not paint the whole force the same.

That’s very unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭frankythefish

Reading these posts alone hints at why mccabe had so many problems. A lot of posters on here criticising him, and seemingly wishing he had kept everything quiet. Perhaps disappointed they not getting their penalty points quashed these days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Let’s be honest it’s a minority of the Garda

That’s very unfair.
    I stand by my comments. I didn't say every individual member of the gardai was bad but the organisation as a whole is clearly corrupt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

cursai wrote: »
    Yawn.

Do you think he deserved the treatment he received?

Wheety wrote: »
    Do you think he deserved the treatment he received?

No. Of course not. None could say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Yawn.

You should send your yawns to the family of Sylvia Roche Kelly,whose needless murder was brought to light by Maurice McCabe.

https://www.thejournal.ie/jerry-mcgrath-guerin-report-1457028-May2014/

It is these complaints, it has been alleged by Sergeant Maurice McCabe, sparked an “urgent attempt to dispose of [the Mary Lynch] case as quickly as possible and at all costs”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

AllForIt wrote: »
    How can you say that?

Because he's on the internet and it doesn't cost him anything to say it.

Wesser wrote: »
    Shocking to watch I never knew all the details. Harrowing to watch really.

I’m the same as you. I always thought the whole thing started with the penalty points so last night was an eye opener. Miss D’s father, the man that was reprimanded for being one of those drunk at a suicide investigation and then getting into a Garda unmarked car, is a very dangerous man.

It was also McCabes duty as Sergent in charge at his station to report the issues there to his superiors. Would the same not be expected of someone of rank in the army?

He admitted that when he moved to mullingar and a Garda told him that a ticket he had issued had been wiped that he made it more of a mission to investigate the whole thing because of how he had been treated in Cavan.

What then happened to him after that is the stuff of nightmares. I’m glad he and his wife agreed to the documentary as I found it hard to follow the news reports at the tribunal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This may seems a bit controversial

what happened to him is sick.

But he does seem like he was an awkward fecker to be honest.
    You wouldn't like to work with him.

Absolutely. We are talking about policing Baileboro at the end of the day not Harlem in the 1970's. I saw the results of over zealous and stickler for the rules policing ruin a small town in Tipperary to the extent that nobody would drive in to do business there or for a finish co operate or communicate with the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Allinall

Wheety wrote: »
    Are you a Garda?

He either is, or was if you check post history in the Emergency Services.

Not very good at cover ups it seems.

Allinall wrote: »
    He either is, or was if you check post history in the Emergency Services.

Not very good at cover ups it seems.

Never was but work with therm.

Who is Taylor?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Let’s be honest it’s a minority of the Gardaí.

That’s very unfair.
    When it's at the very top of the force it paints a picture of rot through and through. When you have posters on here calling him a trouble maker for expecting gardai to show up for their rostered duty it's pretty clear how warpped we are as a society. We have a police force that reflects that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Who is Taylor?

Yer man with the big glasses that used to play snooker.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    When it's at the very top of the force it paints a picture of rot through and through. When you have posters on here calling him a trouble maker for expecting gardai to show up for their rostered duty it's pretty clear how warpped we are as a society. We have a police force that reflects that.
    So a few people in an organisation of 14000 condemns the rest. And the claims of one man is enough evidence. Without ANY disciplinary action having been undertook. And this doesn't smell funny?

• Advertisement

Edward M wrote: »
    Yer man with the big glasses that used to play snooker.

Ah Dennis :D

Hang on this guys wife even said that he was a stickler for the rules and never relaxed even when out socially. As I said we are talking here about policing Baileborough ffs!. BTW I didn't hear him say anything good about any colleagues he worked with for so many years.

So a few people in an organisation of 14000 condemns the rest. And the claims of one man is enough evidence. Without ANY disciplinary action having been undertook. And this doesn't smell funny?
    The Garda Commissioner smeared him as a paedophile who abused his own kids. I know where the stink is coming from.

Hang on this guys wife even said that he was a stickler for the rules and never relaxed even when out socially. As I said we are talking here about policing Baileborough ffs!. BTW I didn't hear him say anything good about any colleagues he worked with for so many years.
    Ah well, that's alright so. Sure it's only Baileborough. No need to show up for work, or go out on patrol when you do. Just collect your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrsoft

Never was but work with therm.

Well then you should know.

Anyone working there should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

And uncovered a load of corruption... As a result smear campaigns occurred within the Gardai about him to destroy his credibility. And you're concerned that he was a stickler for rules?

Ah well, that's alright so. Sure it's only Baileborough. No need to show up for work, or go out on patrol when you do. Just collect your wages.

You are painting a picture, like the programme did with dim lighting and mood music, of a state of anarchy in Baileborough which was never the case. He rightly pointed out shoddiness on the job but at the samr time also appears to have alienated just about everyone he worked with. I would be interested to hear what the people of Baileborough thought of him and how the town has been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hang on this guys wife even said that he was a stickler for the rules and never relaxed even when out socially.

And?
    BTW I didn't hear him say anything good about any colleagues he worked with for so many years.

Why does that matter? He gave an account of the incidents relevant.

Besides, in his position you'd wonder how many you could count on given how they all closed ranks and the scum that were putting up pictures online with darts in a rat and referencing him because he had the temerity to report 'malpractice', to put it mildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You are painting a picture, like the programme did with dim lighting and mood music, of a state of anarchy in Baileborough which was never the case. He rightly pointed out shoddiness on the job but at the samr time also appears to have alienated just about everyone he worked with. I would be interested to hear what the people of Baileborough thought of him and how the town has been affected.

Do you think that maybe he was alienated for rightly pointing out the 'shoddiness' of turning up at a scene locked?

And that maybe those people who alienated him and then posted vile comments and pictures on social media were the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

davidmarsh wrote: »
    He left the force recently, didn't he..

What's next for him I wonder.

I hope the exposure and positive reaction that this brings him can restore some of his confidence and faith in people, generally speaking. He's still a young man with so much to offer.

I don't get the impression from him that he'd be content with the feet up every day enjoying his compensation (ie. drinking tea, like a real Guard!)

He wont be employed again in a hurry.

What employer would be happy for someone who is such a stickler for rules that he would be reporting every breach right left and centre.

At the end of the day there is a job to be done and for the most part the Garda Siochana does a very good job and the vast majority of people who signed up arent corrupt.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/garda-tony-golden-was-shot-in-the-back-as-he-helped-assault-victim-inquest-told-1.3470901

This very brave man represents what I feel about the Gardai and most people who have needed the Gardai would feel the same.

Advertisement