Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,141 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Are you a parody account?

97% of argentines are themselves descended from European colonisers.

If you accept that the descendants of Spanish and Italian settlers in South America have a right to self determination

it follows that you must also accept that the descendants of British settlers in the Falklands have that same right

To argue otherwise would make you a raging hypocrite

I am talking about stacked decks/gerrymandering, not self determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I am talking about stacked decks/gerrymandering, not self determination.

You are a fool. People of British descent are a minority in Gibraltar. People of British descent are a majority in Australia.

Even when changing the goalposts you still miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Aegir wrote: »
    wow, aren't you really cool and edgy using the Spanish term for the Falklands. it is Las Malvinas or the Falkland Islands by the way, if you want to be factually correct. Calling it The Malvinas just looks like you're trolling.

where have you repudiated my statement about them not being a colony and having self governance? all you have done is make snide comments about doffing caps.

You have said nothing of substance and when asked for your opinion, duck the question because it's a bit too hard.

The Falklands falls in to colony status according to the UN's description, because their description is very poor and very widely disputed. The UN is the first to acknowledge this. Guadeloupe and La reunion for example aren't classed as colonies because despite being thousands of miles from Paris, they are considered part of France. They have no self governance and no route to full independence. The Falklands, on the other hand, has QEII as monarch and depends on the UK for foreign relations and defence (which isn't surprising really when their closest neighbour keeps on rattling its sabre in their direction every time their economy goes to **** and the government needs a bit of deflection).

Which group of Islands sounds more like a colony?

So, come one, as you are the great all knowing one, what's your solution? Give the Islands to Argentina, against the wishes of the majority of the people there and their government, or make the UK abandon it and leave it wide open to Argentine aggression?

preferibly, the uk gives them back to their owner, argentina. if not, enough pressure to make the uk abandon them. there won't be argentine aggression as argentina will get them either way.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

You are a fool. People of British descent are a minority in Gibraltar. People of British descent are a majority in Australia.

Even when changing the goalposts you still miss.

Changing goalposts? Me?

When did I mention Gibraltar and Australia????

preferibly, the uk gives them back to their owner, argentina. if not, enough pressure to make the uk abandon them. there won't be argentine aggression as argentina will get them either way.

What about the other empires on your list, and their territories? Does it only count when the territory is disputed by a large, powerful, first world power like Argentina?

Look, look, I'll save you the trouble, it's because it's the UK you're talking about, and the Scots on the Falklands can go to hell as far as you're concerned because it would be worth it to land a blow on the UK (and besides which they deserve it for being pro-British, amiright?).
    Changing goalposts? Me?

My apologies: it was orignaly end of the road who brought up colonies and overseas possessions. You just picked it up and ran with it, focusing all your attention on Falklands to the exclusion of any other overseas territory of every other country in the world to fail in making the point that the voting system was gerrymandered (I don't think you understand the term) when there never was a significant permanent population on the island to begin with!

• Advertisement

What about the other empires on your list, and their territories? Does it only count when the territory is disputed by a large, powerful, first world power like Argentina?

Look, look, I'll save you the trouble, it's because it's the UK you're talking about, and the Scots on the Falklands can go to hell as far as you're concerned because it would be worth it to land a blow on the UK (and besides which they deserve it for being pro-British, amiright?).

the other minny empires should be forced to ditch their colonies also.

:D:D

Would the main disputer be that colonist with the most number of colonies left on the list by any chance?

Keep towing the line Aegir and refusing to see what others, including British people themselves can see. If it looks like a colony, acts like a colony and is viewed as a colony, it most likely is a colony.
    We know it embarrasses Britain these days to have them, but there you go.

So still dodging the question and making snide self righteous remarks then Francie.

And suddenly, on cue, 'we' don't want to talk about the UK anymore on a thread about the UK and it's poppy.

What a surprise.

In what world does the Falklands belong to Argentina?

So still dodging the question and making snide self righteous remarks then Francie.

I am not dodging a question, I am refusing to do down a rabbit hole with somebody who has already proven that no other opinion than his/her own is the correct one.

And it is off topic, as this sidebar about colonies is too.

• Advertisement

the other minny empires should be forced to ditch their colonies also.

You mean those people should be forced out of the country they are a part of? That's pretty damn high handed, eotr.

You mean those people should be forced out of the country they are a part of? That's pretty damn high handed, eotr.

High handed like this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-45300739

no, just the territory. the people can remain part of whatever country they like, they just won't be ruled by that country if they choose to continue to live on the territory, which they will be allowed to continue to live on, if they so choose.

And suddenly, on cue, 'we' don't want to talk about the UK anymore on a thread about the UK and it's poppy.

What a surprise.

Well that's a pretty good way to dodge the question Francie! Probably doubly uncomfortable that I brought up the Commonwealth countries and their 'gerrymandered' populations, along with drawing attention to their use of the UK's poppy?

6418864-16x9-940x529.jpg

That's Melbourne btw. That bastion of imperialist cruelty.

With thanks to Folkstonian.

Well that's a pretty good way to dodge the question Francie! Probably doubly uncomfortable that I brought up the Commonwealth countries and their 'gerrymandered' populations, along with drawing attention to their use of the UK's poppy?

6418864-16x9-940x529.jpg

That's Sydney btw. That bastion of imperialist cruelty.

Wow, that's a lot of poopies, did they pay for all of them? They might be able to equip them aircraft carriers properly if this goes on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

That’s Federation Square in Melbourne!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I'm so sick of this poppy debate. Who gives a f*** if you wear it or not!

no, just the territory. the people can remain part of whatever country they like, they just won't be ruled by that country if they choose to continue to live on the territory, which they will be allowed to continue to live on, if they so choose.

Sure why not.

Let’s guve Ireland to the French while we’re at it, in fact why not all of the British isles, they’re a lot closer to France than the Falklands are to Argentina.

bilbot79 wrote: »

:confused::confused: Why click on a thread called 'Poppy' and continue to do so?

There are literally hundreds of threads I don't click on...coz guess what? They don't interest me. And therefore, they don't bother me.

Just sayin like. :rolleyes:

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Ireland as a state didn't, Ireland as an island within the geographical term of The British Isles did.

Ha. Relentless with reverting to the jingoistic terminology in the face of reality, aren't you.

British Empire, 1921:

400px-British_Empire_1921.png

British Empire, 2018:

main-qimg-e20ae6e00ebe0ca691e628ad0e6a2be5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

bilbot79 wrote: »

Irish Republicans is the correct answer. It really upsets them. See this thread for proof. For a bunch of lads and lassies who want nothing to do with the UK, they spend an awful lot of time thinking about it.

Ha. Relentless with reverting to the jingoistic terminology in the face of reality, aren't you.

British Empire, 1921:

400px-British_Empire_1921.png

British Empire, 2018:

main-qimg-e20ae6e00ebe0ca691e628ad0e6a2be5

Just a slight inaccuracy; Your mind is still firmly occupied but it doesn’t seem to be highlighted on the map

Berserker wrote: »
    Irish Republicans is the correct answer. It really upsets them. See this thread for proof. For a bunch of lads and lassies who want nothing to do with the UK, they spend an awful lot of time thinking about it.

A few seconds on google. A growing number objecting to the poppy fest within Britain...bloody shinners!

http://noglory.org/index.php/articles/75-this-year-i-will-wear-a-poppy-for-the-last-time-says-91-year-old-veteran
    https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/remembrance-sunday-2018-poppy-war-royal-british-legion-far-right-symbol-a8619931.html

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/wearing-poppy-remembrance-sunday-forces-748486

Just a slight inaccuracy; Your mind is still firmly occupied but it doesn’t seem to be highlighted on the map

The UK mightn't be on any map after 11pm on 29 March next year.........

f76.gif

Barely one sentence? Check.
    Ignores substance of post? Check
    Tries to hide failings through redirection? Check
    Repetition? Check

So a bit like our ardent droidman, but with an amusing irony with the accusation of.. I really can't.. jingoistic terminology!

I now know what SpanishEyes meant ages ago in this thread about his use of the term Godwin. You think calling someone an imperialist wins your argument for you! You must do, because you keep doing it over, and over again.

I am not dodging a question, I am refusing to do down a rabbit hole with somebody who has already proven that no other opinion than his/her own is the correct one.

And it is off topic, as this sidebar about colonies is too.

Aah, so now you’re chickening out of actually giving your opinion, suddenly we have to get back on topic.

That says it all really.

Aah, so now you’re chickening out of actually giving your opinion, suddenly we have to get back on topic.

That says it all really.

Call it what you want. I ain't going there Aegir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Think it's going to disappear into nothing? I think not. :D

I can tell you what will be in place by then, a nice hard border between Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland. And the Southern Irish are going to end up paying for the EU's portion of that bill.

f76.gif
    Has Donegal been expelled?

• Advertisement

Your links aren’t evidence of a growing anything. There’s no data in any of them.

People have always opposed the poppy for whatever reason. All power to them, truly. Their freedom to express a different or minority view is to be cherished.

The RBL anticipates it will receive its highest ever sum from a single remembrance period this year however. Maybe people are giving more, maybe more people are giving, again there’s no data to support a specific claim.

The appeal is not on the way out though, not just yet.

Advertisement