Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

eyrie wrote: »
    I just went to look up last year's novices thread from this time last year to see what people did in terms of recovery/when to start back running etc, and look what I found from a certain 2017 novice:
    Now who do you think said that??

*cough* skyblue46 *cough* :D
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105163526&postcount=5647

Words of wisdom :pac: Thankfully it didn't all fall on deaf ears......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭downtheroad

3.31.19 - just missed my target but delighted to have finished. Got seriously bad cramps in my hamstrings going up that hill around Milltown, and had to stop to stretch the legs out a few more times including the UCD flyover, RTE, RDS and near the canal. The supporters on the streets were fantastic, offering encouragement and help with stretching. Fantastuc atmosphere on the day, couldn't fault it. In hindsight I went out too fast, splits were around 1.40 and 1.50, but you live and learn. Just delighted to now be a marathon runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

3.31.19 - just missed my target but delighted to have finished. Got seriously bad cramps in my hamstrings going up that hill around Milltown, and had to stop to stretch the legs out a few more times including the UCD flyover, RTE, RDS and near the canal. The supporters on the streets were fantastic, offering encouragement and help with stretching. Fantastuc atmosphere on the day, couldn't fault it. In hindsight I went out too fast, splits were around 1.40 and 1.50, but you live and learn. Just delighted to now be a marathon runner.

Congrats on the finish and a great time!

Next stop the sub 20 5k? When are you going for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭downtheroad

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Next stop the sub 20 5k? When are you going for that?

Before the end of 2018 hopefully! Not sure I'll have it in me this weekend, legs still don't know what hit them.

• Advertisement

Before the end of 2018 hopefully! Not sure I'll have it in me this weekend, legs still don't know what hit them.

It wouldn't be advised to do anything more than easy stuff for 3 weeks. Even if you feel good over the next few days the body is still in a state of repair. Let it rest and recover. It will make you stronger in the long term and reduce the risk of injury. Any racing or tempo work in the 3 or 4 weeks after a hard marathon is pure insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

It wouldn't be advised to do anything more than easy stuff for 3 weeks. Even if you feel good over the next few days the body is still in a state of repair. Let it rest and recover. It will make you stronger in the long term and reduce the risk of injury. Any racing or tempo work in the 3 or 4 weeks after a hard marathon is pure insanity.

I couldn't agree more with this. Even if you feel great the risk of injury in the 3 weeks after a marathon is elevated. Apparently even Kipchoge takes a month off after a marathon and if it's good enough for him!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Skyblue I'm shocked! It wouldn't be like you to tell us to slow down :D looking forward to resting my legs and only doing light runs. Will be following this advice. After all our fearless leaders didn't see us wrong for the marathon itself! ðŸ‘ðŸ¼ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭MiketheMechanic

Sorry - this one is a bit long. Grab a coffee and some popcorn.
    Has all the highs and lows and craziness of marathon running :-)
    This thread and its predecessors have been part of my running family for the past 6 years. So thank you and enjoy.

DCM 2018 - Race report - PB and paying it forward.

Wake at 6.00am - Slept reasonably well, all things considered. Feel rested.
    Prepare carefully rehearsed Breakfast – goes down well.
    2 x instant porridge, 1/2 bagel and butter, 500ml Lucozade, 1/2 nature valley bar and 400ml water with High5 electrolyte tab.
    Pre-Race
    Wrap up well with gloves and an extra hoodie over running jacket and singlet.
    Decide to wear race sunglasses as it looks like it will be a sunny morning - despite the cold.
    Leaving the Davenport hotel, I meet a whole army of runners in the lobby. Get out onto the street and get a burst of (nervous) energy with the opening guitar riff of "Word of Mouth" stuck in my head that kinda says "bring it on" to me. Atmosphere building nicely.
    Walk along top of Merrion Square to Wave 1. Boy, it’s cold.
    See clubmate Shona with the 3.20 pacers, gave her a hug and wish her the best. "PB today, right?", I say.
    Make some small talk with a few runners around me - helps with the nerves. Get talking to a lady dressed as a nun. Can't resist the temptation and wish her the "blessed of luck" today.
    The nun appreciates the pun.
    8.40 already and I do the briefest of warm ups - leg swings, calf stretch, hamstrings, arms.
    Take an aqua gel at 8.50am. Sip 1/2 a bottle of 330ml water up to 8.55am
    8.57am - Hmm, thinking I need to pee a bit - too late now - I'll be fine after 2-3 miles. I dodge a barrage of flying bottles and discarded tops.
    9.00am Gun fires. I shuffle/walk to line after gun goes (no point running yet, right?), starting about 40 seconds behind the gun.

Mile 1
    Bunching up on the first corner as always - lads flying into each other – I avoid the chaos. Calm down lads. Plenty time for sprinting later.
    Meet my wife and kids after half mile at the top of Stephens green, throw my hoodie to them - but keep spare running jacket and gloves. Still cold.
    Target pace of 8.01 - force myself to do 8.11 - better 10 seconds too slow than too fast on mile 1 for sure.

Mile 2
    Settle in for second mile - go really fast downhill towards the Liffey despite best efforts.
    Actual pace 7.41 instead of 7.55 planned pace, oooops!

Mile 3 uphill through Stoneybatter - easier to maintain pace now.
    Lovely leafy section on North Circular Road just before entering the park. Sip 1/2 bottle of water at 1st station.
    8.03 actual vs. 8.06 planned pace - that's more like it.

Mile 4 - Into the park and finally some space. Stay in the middle of Chesterfield Avenue, avoid the camber.
    Talk to an Irish guy with a Swiss & Aussie passport who works for Emerson. Time passes.
    Shake out the arms - feeling good.
    7.50 actual vs. 7.58 planned pace -still ok - bit fast

Mile 5
    Passing the Aras, the park section seems to go by quickly.
    7.55 actual vs. 8.03 planned pace. Not a disaster, but need to slow a little, so my 10k split doesn't arrive too soon.
    Mile markers seem to be 0.1 mile or more past where my watch beeps - am I running that much further? – I need to focus on running straight line tangents for the next few miles!

Mile 6
    Leaving the park, and huge crowds in Castleknock, great support. Need to watch it here that I don't get carried away with the pace.
    7.53 actual vs. 7.58 planned pace. Better.
    First proper split – I go through the 10k timing mat which gives me a 10k split of 49.35 actual vs. 49:42 planned time - perfect - settles the nerves.
    I haven't gone out too fast (yet).

Mile 7
    Looking down at my watch and paceband, and congratulating myself on a good 10k split, and then drat, feck, blast it, look up and I've just ran past a water station.
    First error of the day. Was supposed to grab a water bottle and pop my electrolyte tab into it. I ask around fellow runners if anyone has a spare bottle.
    Silence, pounding of feet, no reply. 10 seconds elapse, I ask again, this time a guy turns around and hands me a 3/4 full bottle, tells me to keep it. Sound man. That could have been costly.
    Need to maintain concentration. Only takes one slip up....
    7.52 actual vs. 8.03 planned pace. Naughty.

Mile 8
    Back into the park. I've always really liked this part of the course. Park looks splendid. Herds of deer off to our left watching all the crazy runners on a frosty morning.
    Have a decision to make now. Do I jettison my running jacket and gloves? Is it warming up enough? Will I be cold later and regret it? 3 fast miles coming up.
    Take a gamble, take it off. I present it to a lady standing at the side of the road. She looks a little startled! Shake out the arms. Feels good to be lighter.
    7.43 actual vs. 7.51 planned pace - "will you shlow down Tommy!"

Mile 9
    Fast downhill out of the park, taking first gel of the day. Feeling fantastic. Running mate Niall comes from behind me and runs with me. Great to see a familiar face.
    Was expecting that he was minutes up the road ahead of me. Says his injury is bothering him. We run together for a few miles. I try to distract him.
    We exit the park for the last time and grab a water bottle at the Chapelizod station, take a few sips, there's supposed to be Lucozade too, but it's in CUPS! WHAT USE ARE CUPS? Calm down.
    But seriously, I can't drink from a cup while doing a 7.45 mile? What were the organisers thinking?
    7.41 actual vs. 7.52 planned pace.

Mile 10
    I quite like this part of the course too. The guy cooking the BBQ is out, as always. Strange smell on a late October morning. The pull of St Laurence's hill doesn't bother me.
    I chat to Niall and do a mental check from head to toe. All systems good - check!
    Shout "oggy oggy oggy" going through the tunnel - childish, but it's my tradition at this stage and get's a good laugh from the other runners nearby who reply with “oi, oi, oi”.
    Some support on the course! Friend Seamus is out shouting support to me - gives me a boost at the top of the hill. I let Niall run ahead, as I think his pace is faster right now. Run your own race Mike.
    7.42 actual vs. 7.51 planned pace - again, it's ok, bit fast - just need to watch it.

Mile 11
    Meet my running coach Joe at the mile 11 marker - great boost to see your running coach. Give him a wave as he takes a few photos!
    Crowds through Kilmainham are brilliant as always. Meet a lad called Ciaran who is from the Belpark Tri club in the area, we chat for a few miles.
    Shake out the arms, grab a water from the station.
    8.02 actual vs. 8.02 planned pace. Perfect pacing - gives me a little confidence boost.

Mile 12
    Amazing crowds and atmosphere on the Barn bridge - like a stage of the Tour de France, with people closing in on both sides of the road.
    Still feeling fresh and the weather has warmed up nicely now - no longer worried about the cold.
    7.48 actual vs. 7.55 planned pace.

Mile 13
    Water station and Lucozade. Cups again, but this time, I dive behind the volunteers and grab a bottle of Lucozade. Will have to sip a bit more of it to make up for the lack of one back at Mile 10
    Halfway already, and second proper timing mat coming up, will give me an idea on how I'm really doing.
    Halfway split of 1:44.17 actual vs. 1:44:44 planned - this is ok - a little faster than planned, but not a disaster by any means.
    Feeling good, can still achieve a negative split, as long as I mind myself from here to mile 20. Good atmosphere and nice crowds along here.

Mile 14
    The Crumlin road - not my favourite part of the course. There's actually a pull here. Road surface not great either. Have to watch each step for ruts in the road.
    Sip my Lucozade. Still chatting to Ciaran from the Belpark Tri club. Makes the mile pass a bit quicker. Look around. Haven't see Niall, unfortunately I think I've passed him. Great support at the Walkinstown roundabout.
    8.03 actual vs. 8.03 planned pace - Perfect pacing - is this going to be my day?

Mile 15
    I never seem to have much to see or do on this part of the course. Smile to the crowds. Incline is downhill, so just keep it steady. Shake out the arms properly this time. Recognise some of the runners that have been around me for a few miles now.
    7.59 actual vs. 7.57 planned pace.

Mile 16
    Meet my friend Niall K and his girls who give me a big shout of support as I hit Mile 16. Great boost that I wasn't expecting. Water station, grab a bottle, take an electrolyte tab. Less than 10 miles to go now.
    My mind starts trying to do the maths, adding 10 x 8 min miles to my time. Is sub 3.30 possible today - you betcha! Game on!
    7.57 actual vs. 7.53 planned pace.

Mile 17
    I love the section after the left turn into Bushy park / Templeogue Road heading for Terenure. Road surface is perfect, slight downhill and I motor well along here. Still feeling good. Take a gel.
    7.55 actual vs. 7.58 planned pace. It's too early to start attacking the mile times. Steady as she goes.

Mile 18
    Absolutely love Terenure village - the noise, the crowds, the atmosphere! I pass the 30k point - on target - well 11 seconds behind - 2:28:17 vs 2:28:04 according to my watch, but that's ok.
    Running with a group of Esker Club runners. Shake out the arms. Might forget to do this later on with excitement, fatigue and everything happening. Will be meeting the family in 1 mile now which gives me a little boost.
    Nice downhill section coming up. Game face on!
    7.49 actual vs. 7.51 planned pace.

Mile 19
    Downhill towards the Dropping Well Pub and the 9 arches. Big crowds in Milltown as always. Huge support. Keep a close eye out for my wife and kids. Big red helium balloon tied to the buggy does its job beautifully, and I pick them out of the crowd with ease. We have practiced this pit stop at home (I kid you not!). Step in, old hat off, quick towel down, new hat on, take my bottle of water/electrolytes, fist bump / hug the wife and kids and I'm back on my way again. What did it take - 8 or 10 seconds at most? I'm re-energised now, must remember to take it steady - the toughest section is coming up for the next 20 minutes.
    7.53 actual vs. 7.51 planned pace. Not bad considering the pit stop.

Mile 20
    Tough uphill pull along here into Clonskeagh. For the first time today I feel tired. I chastise myself out loud when I realise that I'm looking down at the ground and my running form is very poor.
    I straighten myself up and attack the hill. The hill saps the energy a little. Still running well though. Decide that I need to "dig in" from here to the top of Heartbreak Hill at Mile 22, and then it's basically downhill to the finish from there, right?
    8.00 actual vs. 7.51 planned pace. Hmmm - slowing a bit - is this the start of trouble?

Mile 21
    Get chatting to Tom, Bobby, John and Frank from the big group of Esker runners I saw earlier. They are doing a steady pace and have another lad from the club pacing with them (Ronan?) to ensure they make sub 3.30.
    Ronan holds my water bottle while I extricate my last electrolyte tab of the day from my pocket and unwrap the cling film. Sound man. This operation seemed much easier earlier in the race,
    I must be tiring mentally as well as physically now. These lads seem like good company to keep for a few miles though.
    Which is exactly what I do. They tell me a story about a marathon they ran at Everest base camp, the mad yokes! Keeps my mind off the temporary discomfort which passes.
    7.56 actual vs. 7.56 planned pace. Whew - was fearing that I was slowing - but not at all.

Mile 22
    Before I know it, there's the Lucozade station at the bottom of Heartbreak hill. I attack the hill, and get a sense of relief as I head down Foster's Avenue. That's the worst part over, I tell myself.
    Confidence starting to build a little now. Get a lovely unexpected boost when I see clubmate and friend Jonathan and his family cheering for me at the bottom of Foster's Avenue turning onto Stillorgan Road.
    I think of all the Sunday mornings we've run in Crecora and Patrickswell over the past few years. 3 and a bit miles to go. I can do this.
    8.05 actual vs. 7.59 planned pace. Slowing all right - Careful now, need to get back under 8 min miles!

Mile 23
    Take my last gel for the final push. There's one extra "emergency" one left in my belt, but I won't be needing it, and can't really stomach it anyway. The Stillorgan Road seems to go on for ages, and there's the UCD flyover at last.
    Final hill of the day. Time to push on. And there's Seamus again from Mile 10 earlier, cheering me loudly. Delighted with the unexpected support, just where it’s needed. Down Nutley lane and I'm buzzing a bit now as I pass RTE. I look around. The Esker lads are gone. I've left them behind.
    Does this mean I'm ahead of 3.30 pace, or have they hit trouble?
    7.46 actual vs. 7.56 planned pace. Christ, how did I pull back 10 seconds? Ok, I'll take it. Keep pushing Mike.

Mile 24
    Passing St Vincent's hospital, I literally tip my hat in their direction. I swallow hard. This time 4 years ago, I ended up in A&E there doing this marathon. But not today Mike, not today!
    I grab a final water at the station and thank the volunteer for, well volunteering! He seems genuinely delighted and says I'm the first person to say it today which makes me both happy and sad at the same time.
    Make the final left turn onto Merrion Road and I'm on the home straight. 2 miles to go and I'll be on Mount Street. I do a final systems check - head to toe. Feeling fine. No problems. Time to push on.
    7.51 actual vs. 7.49 planned pace. Confidence growing.

Mile 25
    Passing the British Embassy, I'm picking off other runners left and right now. Not just the walkers. Am I speeding up? Crowds starting to build. I love this part of the course. Leafy, shaded streets.
    Familiar landmarks. Looking forward to the RDS. In my head it's only a mile and a bit to go from here. I walked it the previous day from the Expo. Easy peasy.
    I pass the 25.4 mile point. A mile to go. Watch is saying just under 3:20:00 and mentally I add 8 minutes to my time. Is sub 3.28 possible?
    Pull like a dog, Mike! I grit my teeth (literally, there are photos!) and convince my legs to leave it all on the field. Feck it, it's now or never. Training scene music from Rocky IV playing in my mind.
    7.53 actual vs. 7.55 planned pace.

Mile 26
    On to Northumberland Road - crowds cheering both sides - I'm focussed on running straight line tangents in the middle of the street.
    Feeling good, feeling strong. Nothing going to stop me. This makes all the training seem worthwhile. How I wish I could bottle this feeling.
    7.48 actual vs. 7.59 planned pace. Cruising now. I think I can see the finishing chute.

Mile 26.0-26.37
    On Mount Street. Running like a lunatic now. My running form has gone out the window. Fists clenched, just going for it. Aiming for that blue carpet.
    I feel like the Declan Moffett character from the Tommy Tiernan sketch.
    I hear my name and look to my right and see clubmates Ger and Marion roaring encouragement at me from the crowd. Feeding off this and the rest of the crowd now.
    This is actually going to happen.
    6.44 actual vs. 7.59 planned pace - yep that's heading for 5k pace right there at the end - crazy stuff.
    Cross the line. Elated, euphoric, emotional (very), stop the watch, check the watch, 3:27.46, 3:27.46. Takes a second or 2 to sink in. Nailed it. Mission Accomplished!

Post race
    I let out a few roars and whoops as I line up to get my medal. Need to release some of this energy and adrenaline or I'll burst.
    Get my T-shirt - such lovely volunteers, taking their time, making every finisher feel special. I make my way up towards Merrion square.
    My hotel is just over the security fence, but I have to go the long way around, back up Fitzwilliam street. Seems a bit cruel on the runners who have just done 26+ miles.
    Not to worry - the sun is shining and my legs are feeling surprisingly good. My day is about to get more exciting.
    I finally get out into the public area, moving through the waiting crowds of people and make my way to Baggott St Lower.
    I see a fellow finisher lying by himself on the ground under a tree. A well-earned rest I'm thinking, but that body position can't be comfortable. Something’s off.
    "Well done", I say to him. No response. "Are you ok?", I ask. "Mmmmm" comes the low reply. "Do you need help?" I ask.
    "Ahhhhhh, yes, I think so", comes the slurred barely audible reply. I recognise the symptoms from bitter experience. Exhaustion, hyponatremia. "Be right back buddy!”, I assure him. Adrenaline kicks in.
    I sprint back through the crowd, pushing people out of my way until I get to the barrier, where I find 2 security guards and yell to them to radio for some bike medics. In fairness, they arrive up to me in 30 seconds.
    I take them to our friend who hasn't budged. He's in good hands now though. I shake the guys hand, tell him he will be ok and leave the medics to do their job. Head back down Kildare Street and finally meet my family outside the Davenport. Hugs and high 5s.
    Huge excitement and sense of achievement. Marathon running - nothing in the world like it.

MtM

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Clibee

Hi everyone,

Would someone mind adding my details to the table, my bib number was 16944 and time was 4:44:34.

I yet again didn’t get to meet ye! I picked up a friends bib number and had to meet her to give it to her.

Biggest lesson learned :

Although I was in Dublin for 8, I was waiting at ye entry point to the race till almost 9:20 on my friend. Then by the time we used toilets etc , we were late arriving to the start line, the pacers had gone. It wasn’t the best start. It was too awkward to check my phone for times etc so I just ran the 42km. So I’ve decided to buy myself a forerunner. .

Great reading the reports and strava.

Well done to all of ye.

So any ideas what programme we could follow now? I’m signing up for next year again and will most certainly be following this group to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Thanks so much for the fantastic information and advise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Clibee wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Would someone mind adding my details to the table, my bib number was 16944 and time was 4:44:34.

I yet again didn’t get to meet ye! I picked up a friends bib number and had to meet her to give it to her.

Biggest lesson learned :

Although I was in Dublin for 8, I was waiting at ye entry point to the race till almost 9:20 on my friend. Then by the time we used toilets etc , we were late arriving to the start line, the pacers had gone. It wasn’t the best start. It was too awkward to check my phone for times etc so I just ran the 42km. So I’ve decided to buy myself a forerunner. .

Great reading the reports and strava.

Well done to all of ye.

So any ideas what programme we could follow now? I’m signing up for next year again and will most certainly be following this group to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Thanks so much for the fantastic information and advise.

There will be a Graduates thread in the next month or so, keep an eye out for that. It will be on the Training logs sub-forum, I think.

Link to last year's thread: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057812163/1

Well done on Sunday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

MiketheMechanic you've a great way with words, I felt like I was back on the course for a second! Well done on your race, sounds like it went perfectly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I hadn't put my predicted time on the table before Sunday as it was so much slower than everyone else. However, on reflection my finish time might encourage some slower runners to join the thread next year.

Can someone please insert the details for me please? Bib 17232. Predicted time 5.59.59. Actual time 5.46.13. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭kittyclaws

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    11799|Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|4:13:21
    5524|coogy|03:40:00|03:57:01|
    17857|Helenasca|04:40:00|04:46:32|
    9724|roosterman71|03:50:00|04:00:31
    17251|kittyclaws|04:50:00|04:46:01|
    2167|sann|03:40:00|3:37:44|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    11409|Chippyrun|04:30:00|4:41:21
    18515|Themadhouse|04:29:59|4:39:51
    14084|Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|4:37:12
    19107|MickOB94|04:45:00|05:25:27
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|3:15:50|
    3608|imknackered|03:28:00|03:21:05|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|03:49:53|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|04:18:45
    9584|yido1882|03:59:00|03:59:33
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|03:26:34|
    8176|ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|03:55:38|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    16144|Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|4:45:18
    12563|Applegirl26|04:40:00|04:55:17
    18033|aloooof|04:25:00|4:26:49
    8187|hedgehoggy|03:43:30|3:38:48
    14086|Misky|04:45:00|4:37:14
    8060|Alorra|03:40:00|03:28:13
    11654|Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|04:23:02
    10516|Buzwaldo |04:10:00|04:12:13
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|03:39:52
    |Comic Book Guy |03:26:00|
    9799|The man in red and black |03:45:00|03:42:19
    12133|Rossi7 |03:54:59|4.05.31
    7312 |eyrie |03:57:30|03:55:26|
    |Clibee|04:40:00|
    |downtheroad|03:30:00|
    |Corbally|04:00:00|
    19428|blueberrypie |04:40:00|04:36:03
    |Hobbyjogger |03:49:59|03:54:23|
    |Effibear |04:50:00|
    10809|juke|04:50:00|05:01:38
    |bluestone |04:25:00|
    16260| Corcaigh07 |04:29:59|04:28:24
    11521| Julie2tubz |04:25:00|04:30:23|
    12008| ryaner777|04:00:00|04:01:56|
    17232| gypsylee|05.59.59|05.46.13

Well done, well under your goal - have you signed up yet for next year?! I heard a rumour that it will sell out by Christmas, so I signed up when the priority email came thru :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Sorry - this one is a bit long. Grab a coffee and some popcorn.
    Has all the highs and lows and craziness of marathon running :-)
    This thread and its predecessors have been part of my running family for the past 6 years. So thank you and enjoy.
    Super time and report MiketheMechanic! I think I'm just as much in awe that you remember so many details from each mile as I am of the racing itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Bib No.|Username|Target Time|Actual Time
    11799|Mr. Guappa|03:59:59|4:13:21
    5524|coogy|03:40:00|03:57:01|
    17857|Helenasca|04:40:00|04:46:32|
    9724|roosterman71|03:50:00|04:00:31
    17251|kittyclaws|04:50:00|04:46:01|
    2167|sann|03:40:00|3:37:44|
    |Summerflower|04:29:59|
    11409|Chippyrun|04:30:00|4:41:21
    18515|Themadhouse|04:29:59|4:39:51
    14084|Aoifemcc19|04:45:00|4:37:12
    19107|MickOB94|04:45:00|05:25:27
    |Chabsey|03:15:00|3:15:50|
    3608|imknackered|03:28:00|03:21:05|
    |tbukela|03:38:00|03:49:53|
    |Naked Lepper|04:15:00|04:18:45
    9584|yido1882|03:59:00|03:59:33
    |cullenswood|03:29:59|03:26:34|
    8176|ReeReeG|03:49:30|
    |Bucketybuck|03:59:99|03:55:38|
    |Pilot1087|04:40:00|
    16144|Strawberry Swan|04:30:00|4:45:18
    12563|Applegirl26|04:40:00|04:55:17
    18033|aloooof|04:25:00|4:26:49
    8187|hedgehoggy|03:43:30|3:38:48
    14086|Misky|04:45:00|4:37:14
    8060|Alorra|03:40:00|03:28:13
    11654|Dealerz2.0|04:15:00|04:23:02
    10516|Buzwaldo |04:10:00|04:12:13
    |AdrianII |03:59:59|03:39:52
    |Comic Book Guy |03:26:00|03:53:50
    9799|The man in red and black |03:45:00|03:42:19
    12133|Rossi7 |03:54:59|4.05.31
    7312 |eyrie |03:57:30|03:55:26|
    16944|Clibee|04:40:00|04:44:34
    |downtheroad|03:30:00|
    |Corbally|04:00:00|
    19428|blueberrypie |04:40:00|04:36:03
    |Hobbyjogger |03:49:59|03:54:23|
    |Effibear |04:50:00|
    10809|juke|04:50:00|05:01:38
    |bluestone |04:25:00|
    16260| Corcaigh07 |04:29:59|04:28:24
    11521| Julie2tubz |04:25:00|04:30:23|
    12008| ryaner777|04:00:00|04:01:56|
    17232| gypsylee|05.59.59|05.46.13

I have really enjoyed reading all the reports so far, my turn now I guess!
    I headed up to Dublin on Saturday evening and stayed with a friend of mine in Fairview. he had kindly collected my race pack at the expo due to a few last minute travel alterations at home.
    Actually slept surprisingly well that night and woke up before the alarm at 6. Downstairs for my usual pre run breakfast of overnight porridge and yoghurt and a cup of coffee. Put all the gear on after that, took on some water and had half a banana before sharing a taxi into the start area with my friend and his wife who were also taking part.
    Left it a bit late to come in so had to miss the pre arranged meet up with fellow novices near The Shelbourne. Dropped the bag off and headed to starting area. Do the usual pre race stretches and join a que for the loo even though I don't feel the need. Its something to pass a bit of time and by the time I reach the head of the que I actually need to use it!
    Take my place well back the street from the start line and walk towards it when the gun goes and start running about 50 metres before the line.
    Take it conservative for the first couple of miles due to the numbers in and around me. It starts to spread a small bit once we are into mile 3 but at this point I'm a bit bothered that my legs don't feel as fresh as I had hoped and this conservative pace doesn't feel nearly as comfortable as it should.
    I'm still enjoying the atmosphere and the miles are steadily clocking up and before I know it we are into Castleknock. Go through the 10k mark and I have started even more conservatively than I had intended but I'm happy at that as my one worry from the training runs was maintaining a slow pace early on.
    Enjoy the benefit of the decline for the next couple of miles and heading back into the park. I have picked up the pace after the first 10k but it still feels more of an effort than it should. Great crowds coming into Crumlin and before I know it we are coming up to the halfway marker.
    At this point I do a mental check and still don't feel I'm running the way I should be and wonder what exactly I did wrong during the taper period! Decide the best course of action at this point is to ease back a bit and in fairness it works. The crowds are great but I don’t know this part of Dublin at all and thinking back on it now I don’t remember much about this third quarter be it other runners or landmarks. Get a nice boost when i pass the viaduct coming into Milltown and all of a sudden the 20 mile marker is in view up ahead. Shorten my stride to get up this incline, pass under the marker and checking my watch I see I’m still inside par to make my goal time.
    I’m no sooner under it when i get a sharp stab of cramp out of nowhere in my left calf. Luckily I’m running along the footpath and my abrupt hop and stop doesn’t affect anyone other participant behind me. Shuffle towards a welcoming tree but now what do I do. I have mentally prepared for the going getting tough in the last 10k but never occurred to me that I may cramp up as it has never happened to me before.
    In the back of my mind I remember a friend once saying curling your toes was a good way to alleviate the pain of a cramp in your leg. Give it a try and make a mental note to rebuke him when i meet him next as it does nothing for me! Lean up against the tree and stretch my calf and that seems to have the desired effect. The only problem is that I know I have stopped now and its going to be tough to get back in a decent rhythm now. I start back by slowly jogging and very gradually up the speed. A minute later I get cramp back in both calves and I’m in agony and don’t need to be told that I’m in real bother. 6 miles still to go and I feel like I’m hobbled like Paul Sheldon in Misery.
    The next few miles just pass in a blur. Whole 5 minute blocks pass by and it feels my progress is negligible. I’m stuck in a cycle of walking, jogging, cramping, stopping, stretching, and mentally cursing myself. I’m also picturing my wife at home hitting the refresh button on the tracker to see what has happened to me and can sense her rising worry.
    I progress down the right side of Nutley lane to get away from people and somewhere along here I have to stretch both calves again when suddenly my left thigh muscle decides to join the party and my leg is pretty much locked in position. Only thing I can think of doing is digging my fingers into the thigh muscle and doing a crude massage, it seems to work and that cramp eases off. I’m now cursing myself for not accepting the couple of offers of legs rubs i got during the previous 4 miles.
    Into Ballsbridge and it’s now the long straight run to the finish line. Well that’s how I had visualised it but instead my endless cycle of cramps continues on. Into the last mile and I curse myself again as I see the crowd barriers are now on the road so I no longer have trees or lampposts to lean up against to stretch. This is horrible as I have to embarrassingly ask people to move their hands so that I can latch onto the barrier at various points to stretch. Seems to go on forever before I get to the blue mat coming up to the finish line. My calves have one last laugh though and I’m forced to pull to the side one last time to stretch along the barrier at this point, looking like a right idiot to any spectators! A steward wraps his arm around me to help me to the finish line but I tell him my predicament and he allows me to finish by myself. In under the line, stop my watch and finish in 3:53:50.
    Get my medal but feel like a total fraud crashing someone else’s party. Do a slow shuffle around Merrion square to retrieve my bag full of self reproach and freezing cold. Get my bag and nice steward tells me well done and repeats it after seeing the look of disappointment and bemusement on my face. Ring my wife straight away to end her worry and explain what happened. Hobble to the side of the street to get some clothes on and take a few photos for the participants either side of me. Have a lot of congratulatory messages on my phone from family and friends on my phone but copy and paste a reply to all outlining my disappointment and disgust.
    There end my marathon story! A few days later and I’m physically fine but mentally bruised. I have already signed up for next year though. It’s not that I feel I have unfinished business or but because while i finished a marathon, I don’t feel like I have ran one. Instead I feel like I ran 20 miles and then just shuffled to the finish. Anyways there is always next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Training
    Decided to follow the Meno plan for this. Had been interested in it for the couple of years I have been basically lurking around here and reading up on others marathon plans. Liked the fact that there are only two days prescribed and the rest is make up the mileage in your own time. Helps with my OCD tendencies as if I was following a plan that said “Run on Monday” I’d be silly about “having” to run on the Monday. The Meno plan let me decide what days to run the non-prescribed runs.
    There was a bit of chat on one of the Training Logs about this plan and if it was suitable for a novice marathoner. I read this with interest and then kind of ignored it! I had seen one or two other novices who had similar shorter distance times as me use it to good effect so threw caution to the wind.
    Training block started on Holidays in Co Clare back in July. Think I missed 21km out of about 1050 prescribed. That was early on in the plan where I rested a niggle. Had plenty of other niggles throughout the 17 weeks but kept them in tow (thank God, injury was my biggest worry), a fortnightly visit to my local Physical Therapist for a deep massage helped a lot (if even to quell any doubts about any of the niggle, they were usually answered with a “You’re fine, get over it!”)
    I loved the variety of the midweek sessions that Meno set, and also the way the long runs were mixed around. Didn’t think I would do the 35km at all and was relatively happy to cap it at 32km but that weekend a load of other 22milers popped up on the Strava feed so that actually gave me the confidence to go for it. I remember getting mentally tired towards the end of that one, and thinking “will I just run for another 7km and get this fcekin thing over and done with”!
    I loved all the new routes I took and places I went to during the miles. I ran the entirety of the course a load of times in different parts and I think this helped me a lot also

Buildup
    I was ridiculously nervous the week coming up to it. Was getting annoyed with myself for feeling so nervous…. it’s just a race. The day before dragged and I just wanted it to be race day. All gear ready, alarm set and pre-race grub prepared. Slept grandish, and up at 6am. Was finally getting excited now until I realised on the drive to Dublin that I forgot my banana and bagel! Panic, annoyance, followed by calm…. this is just pre-race stress, you can get something else.
    Met my mate and parked up and walked towards the start line. Very excited now, and met my other mate and had a quick chat. Walked into the Wave I area but hung back from start line. Bumped into Skyblue who was remarkably calm for a person who was about to smash it! Let the first Wave off and waited around for Wave II to come in, and got into the front of that beside the 3:30 pacers

Race
    Good buzz starting off…. tucked in beside the pacers but they seemed to be going faster than I was ready for and they took a bit of a lead. Caught them back up by the Liffey but the same thing happened again. Checked my watch and they were ahead of pace so I let them off keeping them in sight. Going up Chesterfield Avenue was good fun, and the buzz into Castleknock was deadly. Then the weird calm of being back in the park with little or no crowds. All was quiet and it was like everyone was talking a collective breath, we were a quarter way through. Got a pang of doubt about whether my HR was too high, and I was pushing too much, but pushed that to the side and had a quick pee stop instead of worrying about it!
    Up under the bridge after Chapelizod was still behind the 3rd 3:30 pacer but was happy enough, knew there was a long way to go. Up through Crumlin…. had heard horror stories of this drag but we were blessed with the weather and there was zero wind which helped a lot. I had my name on my t-shirt and was getting a lot of shouts. Unusually for me I loved this attention. Always gave a smile and a wave when I heard my name and this brought further acknowledgement from the crowd. Stayed towards the edges of the groups so i could high 5 kids along the way. We both got a buzz out of doing this. Quick check of time at half way and we were a min and a half under target….and this was behind the 3rd pacer. The first one was another minute ahead I reckon. Was still feeling good so kept trucking along at my own pace keeping pacers in sight.
    Shortly after Walkinstown I eased passed the 3rd pacer, not by much but had a but more open road and was happy with my pace. Chatted to couple of other runners and did a quick check of myself….all felt good. Another pee stop and on we went. The kms were flying by. Massive buzz going into Milltown. Crowds were amazing, and really closed in on us. Lots of shouts for my name and I was roaring back at the crowd “C’MON ME” I’d reply. Was getting great boost out of it. Up to Roebuck and knew what to expect, met a work colleague at top and we high fived, was the hard part done? Just as we reached the top my left knee went bang with a pain. Noooo, don’t do this now. Limped for a while, concentrated on other things, get to the finish line thoughts, and seemed to pull through. It was very sore but my brain was somehow ignoring it. Was meeting other mates at UCD flyover so concentrated on that. More high fives, and quickly onto Merrion Road. Knew my OH and 3 kids would be along here, and started to feel the emotion. Gathered myself and spotted them in Ballsbridge with their cousins. Massive high fives and cheers. Knew I had this, if my hamstrings didn’t snap! They felt like they were on the verge of doing this, but I kept going. Walkers everywhere now, lots of people stopping. Found myself up near the first pacer at this stage and a quick look at the watch and knew I had 3:30 in the bag….who-whooo. Reached the blue carpet, quick point to the sky (this was for you Dad), and I had done it. 3:26:34.

Deadly buzz, and met the family and friends for grub afterwards. Tired, sore but elated. Dublin Marathon did not disappoint. The legendary crowd is indeed amazing at not at all over-hyped.
    Well done to all on this thread for the work you all put in, whether targets were reached or not. Getting to the start line at all is a massive achievement, it takes a lot of time, energy, mental space to get through the training block.
    Will I run another one…. No certainly not, never again, hmmm, maybe, eeehhhm, definitely.

Thanks to the mentors for their words of wisdom along the way too….negative splits were certainly the main mantra…I did a quick check of mine…2 second negative split…that counts doesn’t it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

eyrie wrote: »
    I just went to look up last year's novices thread from this time last year to see what people did in terms of recovery/when to start back running etc, and look what I found from a certain 2017 novice:
    Now who do you think said that??

*cough* skyblue46 *cough* :D
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105163526&postcount=5647

I passed just over 2,100 people between 10k and the end. I had a great run, never hit the wall, came in just 4 mins over my estimated time. Smiling in all my pics. The first 7 miles advice is gold!!! Of course, now being told I didn't push myself hard enough lol! Can wait until next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭M.m.m.

sassyj wrote: »
    I passed just over 2,100 people between 10k and the end. I had a great run, never hit the wall, came in just 4 mins over my estimated time. Smiling in all my pics. The first 7 miles advice is gold!!! Of course, now being told I didn't push myself hard enough lol! Can wait until next year.

I'd say that was more down to your training than specifically doing the first 7 miles slowly.
    That 7 mile advice was common knowledge on all marathon boards, forums and the Irish Runner yet lots of people hit the wall and wernt smiling after 17 miles anyway unless they were nut jobs or sadists lol.

I think you can safely say you under performed but well done on enjoying the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Where did you see this? Id be curious to see this also.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Where did you see this? Id be curious to see this also.
    Thanks
    Go to the TDL page
    https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results

Find yourself, and then click on your number

Go to the TDL page

Thanks for that. I was looking for it too. :)

Thanks for that. I was looking for it too. :)

I'm all about the numbers lol

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Go to the TDL page

Cheers for that, really cool to see how much your position changes through the markers!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

After two days of elation at not having to plan my next run, and four days battling my worst ever man-flu, it's about time I got this report in.
    Health Warning - for Insomniacs only. Skip to the synopsis at the end. You have been warned.
    Background;
    I generally cycle for fitness and am used to long 100-160 k events, and pacing myself for these. Did an 11 hour longest to date cycle last April of 228 very hilly kilometres. Have always done a bit of running, generally local 10ks and such, but trained up to a HM last year (1.55). My OH did DCM last two years and I thought the atmosphere when supporting her was fantastic, so said I would do it sometime. After wavering I bit the bullet and signed up on the last day ('less than 500 entries left') putting down anticipated finish time of 4.15.
    Opted to train 3 times weekly with one days cycling (which disappeared after Sept 8th). Got all my long runs in including a 21 and a 20 miler three weeks out which I overdid a bit finishing too fast - was sore after, thus no run in the first week of taper and just a small bit thereafter, including 8 miles the weekend before. Did the same HM as last year during the training block and was disappointed to get the same 1.55 as last year, but I had zero taper.

The Plan - I settled on a target of 4.10 based on HM times - had flirted in my mind earlier that I might go for 4.00, but thankfully reality prevailed. Got pacing plans from Kellygirl (thanks) but they were in miles and I was too used to working in KMs (the cyclist in me) and didn't fancy carrying a plan with 42 points on it. Doing the HM I used to break it into 7k segments so I did the same for Dublin. Six segments of 7k each and leave 4-5 minutes for the last bit where the distance on my watch would exceed 42.2.
    Slow start, aspirational negative split etc I decided 7k segments of 43, 42, 41, 40,40,40 would get me my goal, and would be easy to keep tabs on on the day. I know, just enjoy your first marathon and go for a time next time out, but this was going to be a one time only event for me, so had to make this one count.

The Day - Up early, breakfast, bus with running club to Mespil, landed at eight, changed too late to look for the Shelbourne, headed on down to the start. Second breakfast of overnight oats before the bag drop (I often run just after a meal - daft I know, but I'm used to it). Had planned to run with a buddy from the club, but lost him between loo stops and bag drop. Anyway maybe better to pace myself. Lined up just behind the 4.20 pacers - planned to stay there well into the park.

KM 1-7 We're off!. Couldn't believe I was finally here, brilliant atmosphere. Just four and a bit hours to go and I'll be a marathon runner! Wasn't held up as much as I thought we might, but it did bunch at one stage and I said to myself 'lots of people have to walk some of the marathon' so I got it out of the way early and walked 20 metres or so, but didn't lose position. The 4.20 guys were somehow well ahead, but I just ran what I thought was an appropriate pace. Hit the Park and going up Chesterfield Ave. I had a glance at the watch - was doing under the planned 6.09/km, but felt ok. Passed the pacers along here somewhere I think. 6.28, 5.58, 5.50, 5.54, 6.00, 5.47, 5.46. (41.43) -just under 42 for 7k and feeling ok.

KM 8-14 Up along the Avenue, glanced at the watch - doing under 6.00 per km instead of just over it, but while I keep checking the pace, I run by what I feel is ok and sustainable, rather than rigidly to the watch. Have a little think about the birthday girl and count my blessings. See a runner from the first wave walking back down the side of the avenue against the flow - felt sorry for him, but reckon he headed out at his target pace and had an injury kick him in the teeth. Reminds me that the marathon has no mercy and will find you out. Plenty of support along here, braving the cold. It's only along here that I discard my hat but still have a long sleeved top over my running top. Out of the park and under the 10k gantry in exactly one hour - the watch says I'm going slightly quicker than 6 mins / km so I guess that's the line / GPS discrepancy. Took my first fig roll at 10k as planned. Into Castleknock and loads of support again, but not quite the 'Wall of Noise' I had been expecting. I guess I had built it up too much in my head. Still a massive turnout all along here considering the cold. Down along and towards the park again I catch sight of the 4.10 guys up ahead. That's the place for them, don't get tempted into trying to reel them in - bide my time. Back down into the Park again. I take the chance, as I had on Chesterfield, to run on the grass a bit to lessen the impact on the joints for a short while. No cutting corners though, honest. 5.54, 5.55, 5.51, 5.59, 5.48, 5.36, 5.43 (40.46) Under 41 for that section, feeling ok.

KM 15-21 Catch up with a guy I met on the bus on the way up. Sixty years old, doing his fourth marathon this year, his sixth ever, after starting running 2 years ago! He's aiming for a 4.30 PB and his plan is do the first 10 k in 57 minutes or so, keep going as well as he can, then walk when he has to in the second half, and limit the losses from then on. He's on his sixth marathon - who am I to argue. I run with him for a while, he tells me to go ahead, but I'm at just the pace I want, and he's comfortable too, so we pass about 2 k or so together. Pure gentleman, lovely guy, good company. We're gaining on the 4.10 pacers now, almost up to them, but I know I'll leave them off on St Laurences road. Have my second and third fig roll at 15 and 20k, with a gel in between - I'm picking up a bottle at each water stop and sipping gently, discarding it before the next water station. Pull back the pace as planned up Laurence's road, Oggy, Oggy Oggy under the bypass - this is brilliant. 19, 20, 21 I'm gaining on the pacers again, running sustainably I reckon, without lapsing to long slow run pace. I remember Skyblue advising somebody in an earlier post to keep it steady to Walkinstown roundabout and push on from there if they felt it was in them. That's my target now - keep her steady to that point, always giving up a bit on the drags.
    5.40, 5.52, 6.08, 5.43, 5.48, 5.42, 5.52. (40.45) My total on the watch suggests to me I've done that one in 40 - a bit ahead of target, happy days..

KM 22-28 Up along the Crumlin road, supposed 0to be a bit of a drag, but I don't feel it. Tip along keeping 20-40m behind the pacers. Through the halfway in 2.05, that'll do nicely thank you. Great support at various points along the way, but I cant remember them all, just locked in my own thoughts - I'm running a marathon, I'm halfway, doing ok, maybe can get a bit under the 4.10, how much? Have another gel to keep topped up, with caffeine this time. Long way to go though, get to Walkinstown and take stock. Well I got to Walkinstown and guess what - I didn't feel it was in me to push past the pacers with over ten miles to go. That's grand, just stay with them, they started a bit ahead of me, that's ok. Was comfortable enough though, had another fig roll at km25, but it was work - nobody said the marathon was easy. 5.52, 5.46, 5.51, 5.45, 5.38, 5.51, 5.50, (40.33) Still under 41 for that section I calculated at the time.

KM 29-35Was looking forward to this bit before today started - leafy suburbs, more down than up, near Trinity Hall where son no.1 was ensconsed - (could be a bolthole if I was having a mare) and my family were waiting at Alexandra College, KM32 with fresh rations and support. Couldn't wait to see them. I was working, but comfortable. No point in leaving it all to the end to hope to sprint the last few K. Passed the 30k mark in about 2.57, keep a bit in reserve and 4.10 is attainable. Met my wife and two lads at Alexandra College (where I had supported her the last two years). Took a sip of flat coke, didn't feel I needed more food, but took a snickers - had one gel left anyway. Great to see them, loads of encouragement, was sent packing, don't delay, nice pep in my step. I reckoned I had a fair idea of the rest of the course. Short hill in Milltown, steep but short Heartbreak Hill (with a little drag up to it), then freewheel down Fosters mostly flat to the finish. Well I should have studied it better. Was doing ok, holding my own, not easy, but sure if it was, everybody would be doing it. Onto Clonskeagh road, here's the drag, pull back the pace, maintain the effort. The road is wide here, and you can see up a good bit, it was steep enough drag, but would probably peter out around that bend? Plenty of walkers here, but I was going ok considering. Around the bend, the drag goes on, and on, and on. Digging really deep here not to slow too much, but I wasn't so confident now, surely the Heartbreak brow must be soon. Please. I opened the gel, but couldn't swallow it. The snickers in my hand held no appeal. I didn't need the energy just a distraction, it was my legs and mind hurting. But still I was running and many were walking. 5.50, 5.56, 5.36, 5.48, 5.53, 6.06, 6.37 (41.46) Seemed about 42 by my calculation - I had lost a bit to the drag. Not sure if I was even conscious of passing that 7k segment.

KM 36-42 I promised myself the reward of a small walk after I crested Heartbreak. As it happened I walked through the lucozade station, and again for about 10-20 yards at the crest of the hill. My legs were pretty drained and my head was a bit battered, but I knew the hills were over. Heading down Fosters Avenue where I had banked on a bit of a reprieve though wasn't as easy as I hoped. Downhill as it was I failed to get above 6.00 /km and knew that 4.10 was going to be difficult, but maybe I would get a second wind. Onto Stillorgan road, legs tight but no cramp. If I stop to walk once I might stop many times – keep running. I know the way home but I'm fighting for my time. Aware that I'm running, just about, while many are walking. Spot the ambulance tending an unfortunate here - hope they were ok. Got down Nutley onto the Merrion road. Only about 2 miles to go? I can manage this, pushed on a bit with my second wind, felt I was working hard, but motoring a bit better now. Glanced at the watch to see that my speed was still the same. Not going to look at the watch again until the finish. Was passing walkers and a few runners, but probably more were passing me? Got a shout from a friend from home. Great crowds along Ballsbridge to the finish, but I had tunnel vision and could hear little. Not a death march, but a metronomic zombie shuffle. Didn't trust myself to look up too far ahead - didn't want to see a marker or finish away in the distance. Passed the 800 mark, but still didn't look up and couldn't pick up the pace any.
    6.41, 6.03, 6.19, 6.04, 6.23, 6.19, 6.19 (44.08) The marathon starts in the last six miles.

42-42.4 The last 400 metes on my watch. I tried a gallop, but didn't really have it. Was passing almost nobody here and being passed by plenty. In hindsight perhaps many of those had walked a fair bit of the last six miles, but nobody was walking the last few hundred metres. Crossed the line, pressed the watch 4.12.xx, I'll take that. But I was too spent for much emotion or reaction. I was just focused on existing.

Got the medal, shirt etc. Looked down and had a half melted snickers in my hand. Forced half it down me, probably did no harm, but don't know if it did much good.
    I was pleased, but not elated. Relieved that the months of running hadn't come totally unstuck and that I managed to limit the damage when it got tough.
    For sure, if I was better trained, or had less setback in taper time, I might have made 4.10.
    Maybe had I gone slower earlier I might have finished better.

Aftermath. Walked around finish area loosening out, picked up medal shirt etc. & headed for McGrattans. Met The Man in Red & Black, who I knew, & Hobbyjogger who I met in training. Also had a chat with Saan? who aced it (as did the other two). Thought I should be hungry, so ordered food. Could only eat quarter of it. Met Ariana (sorry, should have offered my seat earlier) and Kellygirl who I forgot to thank for the pacebands. Great to meet them (& Skyblue briefly later). The effort they put into managing and keeping us all on the straight and narrow was huge and many thanks to them. All us boardsies, and a fair few lurkers I’ll wager, benefitted from their advice and guidance. My OH lurked the novices threads for the last two years on her way to her two marathons, both better paced and judged than mine.
    Special word to Coogy for his brilliant work on the caricatures which were a nice touch for the mentors. Mustn’t have been easy managing that deadline as well as work and training for DCM.
    Had to head off back to the Mespil as a bit shattered, sorry I didn't speak to more. Met my running buddy from the park, and he had a PB of just about 4.40 and was happy out.

Synopsis. Ran my one and only (who knows) bucket list marathon. Didn’t hit my A target, but happy nonetheless. Massive thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Great event. Now back to shorter stuff. Great event, great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Congrats to all who completed the marathon this year, a great achievement. I’ve signed up for next year and it will be my first.

My pbs are roughly 20mins for 5km, 42.5mins for 10km and 1hr 34mins for a half marathon.

My training will be limited (two to three times per week realistically) due to work/small kids but I plan to start now and build up my distance and fitness slowly over the year.

I haven’t run further than a half marathon yet so not sure how much the extra distance will impact my pace. So am wondering what is a realistic time to aim for. My first goal is to finish it and I think a sub 4hour marathon is realistic with a sub 3hr 30mins being the best I could expect. Is this a realistic target for time?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Great report Buzwaldo. Lovely to meet you after for a quick chat. Had to head early to catch train for Killarney. You never know. You might get that marathon itch again hopefully.
    Paudie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭chabsey

ParkRunner wrote: »
    Congrats to all who completed the marathon this year, a great achievement. I’ve signed up for next year and it will be my first.

My pbs are roughly 20mins for 5km, 42.5mins for 10km and 1hr 34mins for a half marathon.

My training will be limited (two to three times per week realistically) due to work/small kids but I plan to start now and build up my distance and fitness slowly over the year.

I haven’t run further than a half marathon yet so not sure how much the extra distance will impact my pace. So am wondering what is a realistic time to aim for. My first goal is to finish it and I think a sub 4hour marathon is realistic with a sub 3hr 30mins being the best I could expect. Is this a realistic target for time?

In my first marathon I got a sub 4 hr time and have never run a 5k faster than 21 mins. Not sure if that means you can definitely do it but in my opinion you shouldn't have a problem.

Also just checked and my PB for the half is two minutes slower than yours and I got it during this years DCM where I got a 3:15 so I'd say definitely you can get sub 4.

ParkRunner wrote: »

It's probably too early to even consider target times. Keep up the training and take a look at where you stand. Yes sub 4 is practically certain, 3:30 probable and 3:15ish possible but no point in even worrying about that now. Your training will dictate what you can target on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

What's the best way to get back to pre marathon training pace? Is there a plan that I could follow. Obviously not looking to rush things for now. But want to get back the 'speed' (I use that word loosely) I had before I started this morning training.

I've signed up for DCM19 aswell. So planning on working on pace over the winter and then back to slow coach again next summer.

TIA

Advertisement