Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland - lack of air and naval defence.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Brazil are the main customer of the of KC390 so presumably they will be the main advert of attention for launch. They have ordered a total of 26, 1 to be delivered in 2018 followed by 2 in 2019 then the rest in to be delivered by 2022.
    For EU customers which mainly are Czech Republic and Portugal, however Portugal are to ask for a further two more.
    Ireland hasn't confirmed the purchase but it's looking likely to that type of aircraft.

I seen that during leaders questions two weeks ago that he wants the radar capability but he was challenged by opposition about having interceptor aircraft as it was put to him it's all good seeing something coming your way but not being able to do something about it is a another thing he commented that he is happy with the idea of having IAC reps look for the right aircraft as we cannot rely on the RAF he mention clauses with Brexit etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭sparky42

Brazil are the main customer of the of KC390 so presumably they will be the main advert of attention for launch. They have ordered a total of 26, 1 to be delivered in 2018 followed by 2 in 2019 then the rest in to be delivered by 2022.
    For EU customers which mainly are Czech Republic and Portugal, however Portugal are to ask for a further two more.
    Ireland hasn't confirmed the purchase but it's looking likely to that type of aircraft.

So a total of 3 would be in service around the time the CASA's need to be replaced. Yep it would be insanity for Ireland to try and get them (even assuming that we could buy some slots of the Brazilians to get them in 2019-2020). We have tried being launch/near launch customers before and it's brought us nothing but problems. Whatever the budget is, go for the NATO standard that has the largest customer base and stick with that. Anything else is beyond stupid.
    I seen that during leaders questions two weeks ago that he wants the radar capability but he was challenged by opposition about having interceptor aircraft as it was put to him it's all good seeing something coming your way but not being able to do something about it is a another thing he commented that he is happy with the idea of having IAC reps look for the right aircraft as we cannot rely on the RAF he mention clauses with Brexit etc.

That's called the opposition being the opposition, none of them would vote for the budget increase for any FJ capability and everyone in the Daíl knows that. Kehoe has feck all interest in the DF and would never get the Cabinet to sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

sparky42 wrote: »

So a total of 3 would be in service around the time the CASA's need to be replaced. Yep it would be insanity for Ireland to try and get them (even assuming that we could buy some slots of the Brazilians to get them in 2019-2020). We have tried being launch/near launch customers before and it's brought us nothing but problems. Whatever the budget is, go for the NATO standard that has the largest customer base and stick with that. Anything else is beyond stupid.

That's called the opposition being the opposition, none of them would vote for the budget increase for any FJ capability and everyone in the Daíl knows that. Kehoe has feck all interest in the DF and would never get the Cabinet to sign off on it.
    I agree , Embrear are good a commercial airlines and have came up with the design to compete as AC130 Hercules which they said is there main competitor and are thriving to beat in the market.
    I personally think Embrear have set the bar far too high with comparing it to an aircraft that is tried and tested.
    If the IAC are looking for something cheap and as good as the KC390, I believe the AN178 has been tried and fitted to do similar taskes but it is Eastern European built which they never liked for some reason.

I agree , Embrear are good a commercial airlines and have came up with the design to compete as AC130 Hercules which they said is there main competitor and are thriving to beat in the market.
    I personally think Embrear have set the bar far too high with comparing it to an aircraft that is tried and tested.
    If the IAC are looking for something cheap and as good as the KC390, I believe the AN178 has been tried and fitted to do similar taskes but it is Eastern European built which they never liked for some reason.

Why? Again you are suggesting a design that has zero operational success, it's less advanced than the KC390 with only 1 in testing. The replacement for the CASA's need to be MPA's and neither of the designs you've suggested are MPA's at all.

There's the C 27J Spartan or the CASA 295, those are the two runners, everything else is nuts to start looking (particularly the two you've suggested).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Why? Again you are suggesting a design that has zero operational success, it's less advanced than the KC390 with only 1 in testing. The replacement for the CASA's need to be MPA's and neither of the designs you've suggested are MPA's at all.

There's the C 27J Spartan or the CASA 295, those are the two runners, everything else is nuts to start looking (particularly the two you've suggested).

And one is $28m and the other is $40, so its easy read which one we'll be getting.

As with the PC12,, this is pretty much well flagged, there'll be no KC390 here.

• Advertisement

And one is $28m and the other is $40, so its easy read which one we'll be getting.

As with the PC12,, this is pretty much well flagged, there'll be no KC390 here.

Pretty much, as you say it's been well flagged, as I said at best we might get a third if we were very lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

A new PC9 arrived in today. This one has two atomic bombs strapped to the wings. Take that North Korea :P:p

19756574_1796582947035987_5279864295609506912_n.jpg?oh=8024c13a6fe04a705707f90ff4907671&oe=5A0ADDCE

19554916_1796582900369325_4007908696650672575_n.jpg?oh=92e0ab46d98112907ecf6790162ff428&oe=59C3C84C

A new PC9 arrived in today. This one has two atomic bombs strapped to the wings. Take that North Korea :P:p
    snip

Hopefully the others will get fitted with the tanks as well, or perhaps look at other pods that could increase their usefulness.

Hopefully the others will get fitted with the tanks as well, or perhaps look at other pods that could increase their usefulness.

I doubt it. These were probably used to fly it from Switzerland. I bet they'll go back to Pilatus.

I doubt it. These were probably used to fly it from Switzerland. I bet they'll go back to Pilatus.

Wonder did the originals use them to fly over? Guess we won't know for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

what a waste of money . :rolleyes:

EDIT: by that i mean the pc9 is a waste of money not that spending money on aircraft is a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Those are really just sticker prices, the latter has been offered for less and the former has been offered for prices comparable to the latter's sticker price...

Biggest boons for Airbus is the fact that we already have two CASAs and that the C27J has no proven MPA fit out. The C27J works for people with a dozen or so C130Js who see it as a way to reduce hours with a smaller, complementary aircraft with system and engine commonality - the Australians for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Incorrect. The aircraft stopped en route.

The drop tanks will be staying also with more to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Negative_G wrote: »
    Incorrect. The aircraft stopped en route.

The drop tanks will be staying also with more to arrive.

What do the drop tanks allow the planes to do - just spend more time flying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ezra_ wrote: »

Yes they increase range.

They increase drag, weight and decrease performance though.

ezra_ wrote: »

Secretly they are just covers for AIM-9X air to air missiles. That way the lefty lunatics in this country wont start blabbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Secretly they are just covers for AIM-9X air to air missiles. That way the lefty lunatics in this country wont start blabbering.

ahh poo.

I was hoping they were the new secret Jet modules :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Oohh, in a nifty stealth case... 😀

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Oohh, in a nifty stealth case... ��

Well to be fair the proposed "Advanced Superhornet" design actually does have such cases to reduce returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

chem wrote: »
    years ago, when I was a kid, I would visit my relations in Kildare town over the summer. I used to love going to the army camp there and have a look around. Security was not an issue there. We used to play on the anti aircraft guns:eek:

I remember seeing a radar dome on the site and was always wondering what hi tec wonderous devise was in it. One day I spotted a man heading to the dome with a wheelbarrow. I hid and waited for him to open the doors to the dome. I couldnt wait to see the radar dish. He opened both doors wide. I watched. He then went inside and filled his barrow with turf:eek:

The bloody thing was full of turf!! Kind of ruined my childhood dreams of the Irish army that day:(
    Perhaps the army was preparing for a turf war? :D

Sorry for the necro post but reading through this thread I couldn't resist. :)

• Advertisement

So in the budget it was mentioned about buying new Light tactical armored vehicles. Does that mean they are replacing the RG-32's?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭leinsterjack

So in the budget it was mentioned about buying new Light tactical armored vehicles. Does that mean they are replacing the RG-32's?

These would be very nice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_L-ATV

However I would imagine we'll get something considerably cheaper and operationally sub-standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Those French VBL's are tiny and are going to be phased out by the French Army

The Eagle is impressive, though I can't see what makes them better than the RG32's we already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Eavesdropping on this thread. When I was a kid and traveling from Dundalk to Dublin by train, we sat on the ‘sea’ side if possible until Mosney. Then we moved over to the other side so we could see the air corps airplanes parked in a field at Gormanstown. There was early alway 2 parked up and of course in my imagination they were Spitfires , ready to do battle in the sky. Oh the innocence. :)

Those French VBL's are tiny and are going to be phased out by the French Army

The Eagle is impressive, though I can't see what makes them better than the RG32's we already have.

That they work? Our 32s have terrible reliability apparently.

That they work? Our 32s have terrible reliability apparently.

What stops them? Engine, electronics or suspension?
    They're clocking up the hours at this stage...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    What stops them? Engine, electronics or suspension?
    They're clocking up the hours at this stage...

I heard they are badly made balls of ****e :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

joeysoap wrote: »
    Eavesdropping on this thread. When I was a kid and traveling from Dundalk to Dublin by train, we sat on the ‘sea’ side if possible until Mosney. Then we moved over to the other side so we could see the air corps airplanes parked in a field at Gormanstown. There was early alway 2 parked up and of course in my imagination they were Spitfires , ready to do battle in the sky. Oh the innocence. :)

Depending on how old you are you could have seen some spitfires. Though more correctly we had Seafires not Spitfires until the mid 1950's. We had spitfire trainers for a short time as well.

• Advertisement

I heard they are badly made balls of ****e :D

Oh grand, we'll go through an exhaustive selection process and just get the same thing again so... 😀

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement