Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

I voted for Casey, not because I thought he would be a great president, tbh I knew he wouldn't win, but because he raised topics that need to be raised IE: our welfare state that we hard pressed taxpayers fund but get very little benefit from.

I and those that voted for Casey gave our vote as a message to all the political parties that we are sick of the status quo, sick of our taxes going on sub standard healthcare and work shy spongers.

The interview tonight was a sham, Casey is no politician and that RTE leech is just a publicity whore rolling out the token travellers to show us all how wrong we are in our stereotypes.

Ask the traveller gangs around the world how they identify themselves when they scam people with dodgy work, do they call themselves travellers or Irish? We all know the answer, they trade on the trust and goodwill that we as a people receive when we travel abroad and they abuse it and destroy the reputation of us all, then come home and play the minority card.

Casey is no saint and will never lead the country but if he succeeds in bringing these issues out into the light of day for debate and resolution then he deserves a tip of the cap for his effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I think the way Casey was treated tonight on the Late Late Show will do more to bolster support for him than go against him, a big fail for Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Nah. I voted Casey No 1.

He highlighted issues that needed to be addressed & fair play to him for that.

I hope the debate continues on this.

However, he seems so out of touch on a lot of levels. Wanting to be in FF for fooks sake!

FF is a toxic brand here now buddy.

Hitch your wagon to a different breed of horse Peter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

How come, out of over 300k so few are willing to stand up and speak publically?

I'LL DEBATE YOU MATE ANY TIME ANY PLACE, LIVE STREAM,

don't run away now

Admldj wrote: »
    I voted for Casey, not because I thought he would be a great president, tbh I knew he wouldn't win, but because he raised topics that need to be raised IE: our welfare state that we hard pressed taxpayers fund but get very little benefit from.

I and those that voted for Casey gave our vote as a message to all the political parties that we are sick of the status quo, sick of our taxes going on sub standard healthcare and work shy spongers.

The interview tonight was a sham, Casey is no politician and that RTE leech is just a publicity whore rolling out the token travellers to show us all how wrong we are in our stereotypes.

Ask the traveller gangs around the world how they identify themselves when they scam people with dodgy work, do they call themselves travellers or Irish? We all know the answer, they trade on the trust and goodwill that we as a people receive when we travel abroad and they abuse it and destroy the reputation of us all, then come home and play the minority card.

Casey is no saint and will never lead the country but if he succeeds in bringing these issues out into the light of day for debate and resolution then he deserves a tip of the cap for his effort.

Exactly my sentiments, I voted for Casey as well, living as I do not far from a traveller stronghold here in Co Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just after watching the programme rerun when I got home from the pub.
    Tubs and RTE did their best to ambush Casey with all the pre-arranged traveller audience questions but he gave more than he got.
    As I said earlier Casey is not a politician but he was well able for them and he's a bit of a Shyt-stirrer which is funny.
    The whole thing imploded when Tubs got angry and lost his cool.
    Fair play Casey, you did much better than I bought you would.
    Epic fail for RTE and Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Isn't it bizarre that RTE didn't put in to the audience, real travellers, the ones that most people are familiar with? You know, the vast vast majority of travellers.
    Instead they found two who have college places. I cannot swallow that they were being impartial there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Tubs and RTE did their best to ambush Casey with all the pre-arranged traveller audience questions but he gave more than he got.
    As I said earlier Casey is not a politician but he was well able for them and he's a bit of a Shyt-stirrer which is funny.

i agree Tubs was desperate to land a few punches but Casey didn't let him. That Pavee Point person was a fool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Nah. I voted Casey No 1.

He highlighted issues that needed to be addressed & fair play to him for that.

I hope the debate continues on this.

However, he seems so out of touch on a lot of levels. Wanting to be in FF for fooks sake!

FF is a toxic brand here now buddy.

Hitch your wagon to a different breed of horse Peter.
    I hate FF too, never voted for them and unless something huge change won't do so anytime soon. Think Caseys only point was Independents don't really have the power to do anything much. I kind of agree, Casey being elected a Independent TD in Donegal won't change anything really. Sadly FF/FG have this country on lockdown. If you could change one of them from the inside it might work, but that is almost impossible to do. The system here really suits the status quo.

You were right anyway about the ambush. I actually didn't think it would be to that extent! But yes agree he done better than I thought too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

hit me now with the childer in me arms!

Isn't it bizarre that RTE didn't put in to the audience, real travellers, the ones that most people are familiar with? You know, the vast vast majority of travellers.
    Instead they found two who have college places. I cannot swallow that they were being impartial there.
    I actually thought since they were in UCD and college, they would really put it on Casey. But they were awful speakers. Did I hear correctly they are in Pavee Point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's not going to change the minds of many who voted for Casey. All tonight did was confirm that Tubridy and his ilk are out of touch with many ordinary Irish people. Ambushes are counter intuitive anyway. It would be better for everyone if the issues Casey raised were addressed properly, not dismissed as small minded racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

I guess you're not a fan, don't worry though enough do agree with him to make a change.

Such as?
    Are you talking about the GE?
    The movement leader, just sounded like he didn't have a clue how to tackle the GE.
    Not a hope in hell will he win a single seat

Not a hope in hell will he start a party

Not a hope in hell of rising up trough an existing party

Look at Renua complete flop

You guys stay here online doing what you're good at, ranting and raving. politics is more a real world thing, not for you.

A person who kept coming into my mind during the whole campaign was Padraig Nally, that man was tormented by the "ethnic minority" for years and on that one evening that he finally tried to defend himself and his property he was punished for it

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

don't run away now

No I won't, why would I do that

Are you OK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Weird how you people who hate Casey are the ones most obsessed with him.

Still rattled after he got 20% of the vote?

Wow, you said "rattled".

That, is like, such a pwn.

INTERNET super-hero alert!

don't run away now
    But would your asylum allow visitors in?

They should have wheeled out the 'nice reasonable knacker' that was on the Brendan O Connor show last week.

Instead, they drew in ignorant Pavees to the 'discussion' .

CLOSE DOWN PAVEE POINT RIGHT NOW!

Ignorant cretins, the lot of them!

See it as an investment to the future of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Looks like Tubs and RTE mishandling and ambushing has led to more folk siding with Casey.

What were they thinking, so much for his bluster about being "real".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    But would your asylum allow visitors in?

If it's an asylum run by Eoin O'Broin it will allow anyone in :D

It's not going to change the minds of many who voted for Casey. All tonight did was confirm that Tubridy and his ilk are out of touch with many ordinary Irish people. Ambushes are counter intuitive anyway. It would be better for everyone if the issues Casey raised were addressed properly, not dismissed as small minded racism.

This is how the left works. They are spoilt children who dont believe in debate. They push an unfounded narrative and try and bully everyone to going along with it and those who dont are smeared.....but the world is beginning to wake up and see them for what they are. And they are desperately clinging to the bit of power they have.

On the other point, since when did the establishment, give a fúck about the electorate anyway? See bank bailout 2008.

I'd probably feel more foolish if I had voted for the leprechaun who trousered another grand today, plus expenses.

it would make you puke
    closing down rural garda barracks and paying 100,000's to a communist poet
    sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

All everybody sees is you acting as a defender of the worst scumbag behaviour and lawlessness in the country - mostly traveller related but others too.

they won't because it's imaginary nonsense. fake news.
    I'm glad you are not one of the many elderly country residents terrified in their own homes tonight.

How big of you.

What would be bigger is you calling these people out and standing up to them and defending the weak in society.

we do. some people don't want to hear it because it doesn't suit their agenda however.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

The biggest loser tonight was intelligent discourse. Everyone involved came across poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You are defending the travellers constantly.

Fine - that's your issue.

so what if he is defending the travelers from ill informed comments and stereotypes? because that is all any of us who will step in to defend the travelers are doing.
    I want to know now what you say to the many terrified elderly people down the country tonight (never mind the middle aged) that are in their own homes frightened they will be broken it to, beaten up, robbed or killed while you and people like you constantly defend this group.

Tell us what you have to say to them?

nothing as nobody is defending the criminals within the traveling community and everyone agrees the laws of the land must be enforced.
    You like coming across all morally righteous.

even if that was true, which it isn't, it's irrelevant because defending people from ill informed comments isn't being done because one wants to be morally righteous, but because it is the correct thing to do.
    I know where my morals and sympathy lie - and it's not with the perpetrators.

so no different to the rest of us then.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Tubridy is where is because his grandfather Todd Andrews was one of the founders of RTE. He is hardly there because of looks or talent.

an absolute snake in the grass

it would make you puke
    closing down rural garda barracks and paying 100,000's to a communist poet
    sickening

Be better to close down Pavee Point.

Cut off the oxygen to the swines involved in it.

They do the travelling community no favours whatsoever.

CLOSE IT DOWN NOW LEO!!!

You are defending the travellers constantly.

Fine - that's your issue.

I want to know now what you say to the many terrified elderly people down the country tonight (never mind the middle aged) that are in their own homes frightened they will be broken it to, beaten up, robbed or killed while you and people like you constantly defend this group.

Tell us what you have to say to them?

You like coming across all morally righteous.

I know where my morals and sympathy lie - and it's not with the perpetrators.
    I'll presume you're just as outraged at the entire settled community of Ireland for the murder in Athy, the murder in Foxrock, the murder of Gareth Hutch and the abduction and rape in Ringsend, etc.

Add in any amount of crimes committed by members of the settled community.

I guess, by your logic, the only conclusion one can come to is that settled people are scum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tubridy is where is because his grandfather Todd Andrews was one of the founders of RTE. He is hardly there because of looks or talent.

Go on, ill humour you, draw us the timeline of how this happened?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement