Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey believes Travellers should not be recognised as an ethnic minority

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 163 ✭✭shady acres

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Is Casey's wife very smart and deal with his company or does he have a hidden business-brain that is not on show? He comes across as a near-simpleton with scant idea of how the welfare or political system works. A tiny bit of prep would have done the job. And no setup at all, after his remarks he has to expect questions and challenges. He got off very lightly, I think Tubridy actually felt a little sorry for him.

don't bring caseys wife or anybodies family into this
    sheesh, just when you think they can't sink any lower

• Registered Users Posts: 68,235 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All everybody sees is you acting as a defender of the worst scumbag behaviour and lawlessness in the country - mostly traveller related but others too.

I'm glad you are not one of the many elderly country residents terrified in their own homes tonight.

How big of you.

What would be bigger is you calling these people out and standing up to them and defending the weak in society.

I live in the country and I have never defended criminal behaviour. But have at the misrepresentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Peter Casey would make a brutal TD. This is my opinion despite agreeing with some of his comments during the Presidential Election.

However Tubridy was a disgrace tonight. He led a complete one sided interview whereby he displayed arrogance and bad manners in equal measure. The fact that it was such an obvious ambush will probably help Casey down the road.

The annoying thing is that Tubridy is completely inconsistant in his treatment of his guests. He refuses to ask hard questions of people who he knows he is incapable of handling in a verbal fencing match.

The obvious one tonight was Mary Robinson. Her latest crusade has been well publicised over the last few weeks i.e the environment and climate change. She has been beating this drum and connecting the human diet with the phenomonon. So much so that she has turned vegetarian as it is better for the environment. I've no issue with this. We all know we have major problems with climate change.

However, not once did he ask her what she would say to Irish beef farmers who contribute 3billion to the Irish economy which she is basically saying needs to be seriously reduced or eliminated. No hard questions. Just a fluffy how brilliant Mary is interview.Why? Because he knows Mary Robinson would chew him up and spit him out if he tried to take her on intellectually

Contrast it with Caseys and its like a different show.

My feelings on Tubridy have always been pretty indifferent. Afer tonight i've realised what a spineless dick he is

Exactly, barely able to string a sentence together all they could do was get aggressive. The fat one in particular .

quelle surprise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

When Ryan Tubridy (nice and all as he seems) becomes a moral and social vocal mouthpiece for the average Joe Soap I die a little inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Casey trying to defend his Phoenix Park comments was what sounded the most demented. He deserves to be ridiculed.

I agree.

He's a moron but he's hit a nerve. I'd say for every person that is a genuine bigot about travellers, there are lots that are essentially liberal people but feel that the issue needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I live in the country and I have never defended criminal behaviour. But have at the misrepresentation.

You are defending the travellers constantly.

Fine - that's your issue.

I want to know now what you say to the many terrified elderly people down the country tonight (never mind the middle aged) that are in their own homes frightened they will be broken it to, beaten up, robbed or killed while you and people like you constantly defend this group.

Tell us what you have to say to them?

You like coming across all morally righteous.

I know where my morals and sympathy lie - and it's not with the perpetrators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

jm08 wrote: »
    Tubridy has a lot of fans - otherwise he wouldn't be where he is.

Tubridy is where he is because his grandfather Todd Andrews was one of the founders of RTE. He is hardly there because of looks or talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

don't bring caseys wife or anybodies family into this
    sheesh, just when you think they can't sink any lower

You didn't answer my question on the mutual exclusivity of terms.

And the above (very clear) point I made is that Casey seems so stupid that his wife must have made the company money. A very clear compliment to her so drop the faux outrage.

And answer my prior question please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Type #LateLate into Twitter and look at the Twitter response. Everyone laying into Ryan Tubridy, and saying Peter was ambushed. Even liberals who don't agree with him.

This was a big failure by RTE and Tubs. Irish people aren't stupid they know a set up when they see one, and they don't like when people are treated unfairly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Mon the Cass! Fcuk the pikies!

TBH, neither side did well tonight & I voted Casey No 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

How come, out of over 300k so few are willing to stand up and speak publically?

Official Ireland only deems RTE, The Irish Times, and a few carefully selected others as being worthy of that voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

can we all just agree on one thing

tubs is a bellend

Anyone catch Tubridy try to threaten and intimidate Casey??

"if I lose control, you'll know about it."

What a statement from TV host to his guest. Twitter caught wind of it anyway, Tubridy making a fool of himself again acting the hardman.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

How come, out of over 300k so few are willing to stand up and speak publically?

Because most people don’t have a national platform. Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Felt for Casey. He had tubs interrupting him every moment to break his stride. Also the plants in the crowd. He was getting rushed and interupted. Yet stood his ground on his comments. I'd like to see him as taosiach

You are defending the travellers constantly.

Fine - that's your issue.

I want to know now what you say to the many terrified elderly people down the country tonight (never mind the middle aged) that are in their own homes frightened they will be broken it to, beaten up, robbed or killed while you and people like you constantly defend this group.

Tell us what you have to say to them?

You like coming across all morally righteous.

I know where my morals and sympathy lie - and it's not with the perpetrators.

Not once did I defend anyone who preys on the vulnerable. Not once. And your desperation to see me as a defender of that speaks volumes.

the ethnic status of travelers isn't going to change. they are an ethnic minority. no amount of nashing of teeth and pounding the keyboard will change that.

wrong
    my gf is a traveller
    are you saying she is different to me,

don't be afraid to answer i'm here all night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not once did I defend anyone who preys on the vulnerable. Not once. And your desperation to see me as a defender of that speaks volumes.

So do you condem those gangs that attack elderly isolated people?

What a statement from TV host to his guest. Twitter caught wind of it anyway, Tubridy making a fool of himself again acting the hardman.

Tubridy couldn't disguise his contempt, which undermined the credibility of the interview. Casey was up against it, and coped admirably in the face of open hostility from presenter & audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Actually, in the context of that interview, he said that because he had lost control, while Casey was never a slick salesman, he handled himself impressively.

Now, I say impressively, he clearly isn't part of the well oiled PR/Comminications Clinic type Irish politician with the matching PR/Communications Clinic questions, but nonetheless, if I'm honest I wouldn't have been able to handle that pressure with as much dignity as Casey did.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,616 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

You can't bring yourself to criticise the group mostly responsible.

Now is your chance. Address it to the travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Felt for Casey. He had tubs interrupting him every moment to break his stride. Also the plants in the crowd. He was getting rushed and interupted. Yet stood his ground on his comments. I'd like to see him as taosiach

The problem with interviewing Casey is that he doesn't finish any of his sentences so its hard to figure out what the hell he is trying to say.

Actually, in the context of that interview, he said that because he had lost control, while Casey was never a slick salesman, he handled himself impressively.

Now, I say impressively, he clearly isn't part of the well oiled PR/Comminications Clinic type Irish politician with the matching PR/Communications Clinic questions, but nonetheless, if I'm honest I wouldn't have been able to handle that pressure with as much dignity as Casey did.

I'd probably referred to the people in the audience as bowzeys when they kept shouting across me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

People invited along to ask questions. For balance given what Casey has stirred up. And not at all unusual for the programme.

He was interrupted as he wouldn't give answers. No idea what welfare he would cut as promised. He actually said he'd increase pensions and has no idea what he's doing. No idea whether he'd start a party or whether Fianna Fail would let him in (answer - they won't and have already said so). No idea which councils nominated him and where he'd stand. In fact he may put himself up in four constituencies (pretty sure that's illegal) and some other incoherent nonsense.

As an interviewer when you have a shambolic brain fighting to work in front of you it's best just to give up. Tubridy did well to persevere.

I think he done well, I wouldn't have been able to handle it either. Very few people would have. He's not even a good speaker and still done okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Shame on Turbidy, RTE and the Travellers.

Peter Casey GOAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Yup. He wouldn't say that to 'darling' John Connors.

I'll agree with you there.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    People invited along to ask questions. For balance given what Casey has stirred up. And not at all unusual for the programme.

He was interrupted as he wouldn't give answers. No idea what welfare he would cut as promised. He actually said he'd increase pensions and has no idea what he's doing. No idea whether he'd start a party or whether Fianna Fail would let him in (answer - they won't and have already said so). No idea which councils nominated him and where he'd stand. In fact he may put himself up in four constituencies (pretty sure that's illegal) and some other incoherent nonsense.

As an interviewer when you have a shambolic brain fighting to work in front of you it's best just to give up. Tubridy did well to persevere.

Well it was hostile and tubs wasn't in control

• Advertisement

You can't bring yourself to criticise the group mostly responsible.

Now is your chance. Address it to the travellers.

How many times do you need me to say, 'the traveller community' have issues?

Casey and his idiotic ramblings isn't going to make people safer in their beds. All Casey will do is ignite.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement