Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should self inflicted wounded people use our A&E departments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I have an inkling some-times why triage nurses don't want to send someone home or tell them to go see a GP instead - I am figuring it could be to do with suing or something like that .. they may have even had in thepast situations where they have told people "its not really a thing for A&E" .. then sent them home and they died or something or it was really bad and the hospital got sued .
    Just guessing like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Yeah by the sounds of your OP theres a lot of things you’ve never heard of.

Go to any A&E with no doctors letter you’re charged €100 w/o a medical card. Some will send a bill some (Waterford hospital) charge you on the spot.

Nope, you're only charged if you don't get admitted. If you do, then its 80/night for the bed up to 10 days a year but the A&E is free.

Even then the bill is postedmonths later and there are frw consequences for not paying.

2010 - that's the last time I was in A&E with pulmonary embolism - bloody nightmare , could hardly breath. Waiting for hours even after seeing the triage nurse to get assessed , some people in there looked like they didnt had any (showing) physical afflictions (like broken arms and open wounds) .. they looked better than i did anyway - I walked in though, sent by the doctor. maybe if I called an ambulance I might have been seen quicker ... maybe - a lot of people coffing and spluttering in the waiting room, think it was the flu season - the nurses didnt seem rushed off their feet , even got to hear of 'what went on last night when they went out to a nightclub' plus other patients personal details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If someone is involved in a car accident through no fault of their own , its an accident and could also be an emergency situation.

How do you mean? Car accidents are easily one of the most common sources of injuries and it should be widely accepted that getting in car could be considered a relatively dangerous thing, even if it is completely normal and everyday/mundane.

Why not argue, anyone in a car accident should not be treated because they are taking a gamble on their 2 tonnes of metal being easy and predictable to control?

I'm short no. A&E should be for everyone, regardless of injury, and they do prioritise on severity as much as possible. I'd like there to be separate triage areas for elderly people and kids however as they sometimes have to wait 18+ hours in a seat while watching all the eejit and drunks clog up the doctors' time

Weepsie wrote: »
    How do you mean? Car accidents are easily one of the most common sources of injuries and it should be widely accepted that getting in car could be considered a relatively dangerous thing, even if it is completely normal and everyday/mundane.

Why not argue, anyone in a car accident should not be treated because they are taking a gamble on their 2 tonnes of metal being easy and predictable to control?

I'm short no. A&E should be for everyone, regardless of injury, and they do prioritise on severity as much as possible. I'd like there to be separate triage areas for elderly people and kids however as they sometimes have to wait 18+ hours in a seat while watching all the eejit and drunks clog up the doctors' time

Good points raised

• Advertisement

i am retiring to bed now its 1.20am old time and 12.20am new time (dont forget to put your clocks back) - I shall check back in tomorrow.

it be a bit of irony tonight if I fall out of bed and break something and end up in A&E :)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭cbreeze

yo what ED did you go to where they have a refreshment trolley? Mother**** the two I’ve been to (Wexford and Waterford) would watch you starve before offering anything :pac: in fairness to Waterford the nurses offered tea and coffee once admitted while waiting on a ward.

Beaumont - fresh tomato soup and egg sandwiches and tea, coffee and biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭cbreeze

i am retiring to bed now its 1.20am old time and 12.20am new time (dont forget to put your clocks back) - I shall check back in tomorrow.

it be a bit of irony tonight if I fall out of bed and break something and end up in A&E :)

Night night, Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Nope, you're only charged if you don't get admitted.

Not true. I was charged €100 recently before being seen.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

If someone is brought into A&E unconscious, should the staff wait until they regain consciousness before starting treatment so that they can find out if the injury was self-inflicted? Or how about if I'm doing some DIY at home and my screwdriver slips and goes through my hand. Is that self-inflicted or an accident?

In the long and inglorious history of dumb AH threads, this certainly has to rank up there amongst the dumbest of them all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

Zaph wrote: »
    If someone is brought into A&E unconscious, should the staff wait until they regain consciousness before starting treatment so that they can find out if the injury was self-inflicted? Or how about if I'm doing some DIY at home and my screwdriver slips and goes through my hand. Is that self-inflicted or an accident?

In the long and inglorious history of dumb AH threads, this certainly has to rank up there amongst the dumbest of them all.

Well, we all know you shouldn’t have been playing with screwdrivers. Do you have a safe pass to operate one?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,019 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

those kind of things, and loads more like those situations , i am going to go out on a limb and say "no one forced you to do those things, and they are not 'accidents' " and so why should these kind of people block up A&E departments across the country - far better to take them to some kind of private hospital and charge them for the medical treatment they receive?

If someone is involved in a car accident through no fault of their own , its an accident and could also be an emergency situation.

It would know hard to know exactly who was at fault right away. Without an investigation taking place.
    If someone accidentally falls over at home and breaks a bone or a hip or something ... thats an accident.

What if the person fell over a piece of clutter or something that was in the way or it was because they didn't get something repaired.. It was careless so I take it these people shouldn't be treated.

if someone has a stroke at home , that is an emergency

Was the person a smoker and advised to give up?
    Did they ignore the warning signs?

If a child swallows a lego brick thats an emergency.

How did this happen was it due to neglect and the child not being under proper supervision. It's sounds like carelessness to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

if someone decides to run a marathon ( wink.png ) and falls down due to exhaustion or has a heart attack , is that an accident?
    It means they probably have a bad heart.
    By the logic you used in ascertaining the other things weren't accidents no one forced this person to drive a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That has to be one of the more idiotic mé féinist ops I've ever read. OP if you seriously think that way do us all a favour and hop on the next plane going to America

• Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Water John wrote: »
    A & E don't make moral judgement calls. They work to save lives.
    Amen to that. The same goes for the thousands of people involved in voluntary rescue organisations all over the country .. Mountain Rescue, Coastguard, RNLI etc. etc. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I try not to make a habit of it - when i have before its been circa 3 or 4 hour wait from memory - there were also clearly some people in there that could have gone to their GP for what they went to A&E for (although I am not medically trained to asses their predicaments I have to add :) )

naw, I havent been for years , thanks be to God
    Jesus Tapdancing Christ do you even read your own posts before submitting them?

You know absolutely nothing about anyone else's medical situation or whether or not they were sent to the a&e by their gp.

The last time I was at A&E it was for a 'sore throat' that was actually quincy and was very close to blocking my airways.

People don't go to A&E for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Zaph wrote: »

And of course, all suicide attempts should be left to die or suffer serious life altering injury, cause screw mental illness, Andy has better things to be doing than waiting his turn in an A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

But Andy.
    Some of the people who had strokes smoked....
    Some of them are diabetic which might be due to their diet....
    Should all these people be turned away because it's their fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

i'm not even going to think about it - its the subject I am putting forward (and I am getting it now, people think its a stupid suggestion)

, its not about me or my family - off the top of my head there is nothing I can think of recreational wise where we would ever find ourselves in that situation that I could think of - you know like we dont go climbing mountans (we not me personly or my kids :) ) nor run marathons .. nor go out jogging nor do any dangerous activities .. so I think the only way we would find ourselves in A&E would be for reasons of an accident or emergency out of our control

Don't exercise - dangerous although by doing so you will eventually add far more unnecessary load to health services. Your entire logic is to gloss over actual problems in our health services by potentially endangering lives or making minor injuries far more serious in long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Andy today it's "old time", in summer it's "new time".

Roger sorry don't have a link, just saw a docu on drunk tanks in some Australian State, maybe Victoria. It would just take the rowdiness away from the nurses and other patients. Often these just need time to sober up, regular clients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Firstly this has to be the most stupid thing I’ve ever read.

You must not read many of Andy's posts then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Jack Dee got you covered op.

Skip to 3.20 for ops issue

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭blairbear

OP, I am not going to read through all of this silliness but as an ED doctor, you do realise that we WANT to see the patients you described? They are traumas. Emergency Medicine as a training specialty is primarily geared towards seeing these traumas. We don't like that patients have been injured but we enjoy treating them and helping them. You must have been very bored to start this thread. You haven't a notion what you're on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

HSE A&E departments across the land choc a block with waiting hours sometimes around the 4hour wait. The name is 'accident and emergency'

if someone decides to run a marathon ( ;) ) and falls down due to exhaustion or has a heart attack , is that an accident?

No pet, that's an emergency, as mentioned above and if you've only ever had to wait 4 hours in A&E then you're a lucky man indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I love that you class jogging as a dangerous activity :D

Also, how the feck do you accidentally swallow a Lego?!

Was in a+e last night with my daughter. Seen by the nurse immediately. Brought from there to a cubicle straight away and a doctor was with us in minutes. They couldn't have done more for her and they were also so so kind to a frightened little girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭manonboard

If someone chooses to climb a mountain and falls and hurts themselves , is that an accident?
    Yes.
    If someone gets blind drunk and falls over and hurt themselves or gets into a fight , is that an accident ?
    Yes.
    if someone decides to run a marathon ( ;) ) and falls down due to exhaustion or has a heart attack , is that an accident?
    Yes.

Your post defeats itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Andy we all know by now that you intentionally post bollix for amusement and engage in the replies (from newer users) to keep the charade going.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

What if I get an aneurysm from reading one of your scuthery threads. Whose fault is that

• Registered Users Posts: 32,871 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Has Andy been back to defend his idea or has he realised it was a really **** idea and just too embarrassed to reopen the thread?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I love that you class jogging as a dangerous activity :D

Also, how the feck do you accidentally swallow a Lego?!

Was in a+e last night with my daughter. Seen by the nurse immediately. Brought from there to a cubicle straight away and a doctor was with us in minutes. They couldn't have done more for her and they were also so so kind to a frightened little girl.

By being a child?

Advertisement