Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should self inflicted wounded people use our A&E departments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

I see bullying is rife still in AH and supremacy rules where one person can can post a load of crap but another person cannot - some things never change.

let me know when I can take this gun away from your heads holding ye hostage and forcing you to read and join in with my posts

EDIT: checks to see if "attack the post, not the poster" still exists in rules for Boards.ie ...

Andy I do not know you but bullying?

Your thread was stupid I mean really people are having a go at the thread, not you.

Just off the top of my head if I was drunk and got into a car with a driver over the limit and arrived in the hospital with serious bleeding by your logic I should be left to die for my self-inflicted stupidity?

You are right nobody is forcing anybody to read your thread but your post was for feedback?

Perhaps you never read the tale of the emperor's new suit?

Now give up nobody is bullying you the thread you posted was silly the only reason you feel you are being bullied is you are trying to defend your silly thread.

This is my first post in this thread and yes I am attacking your thread not you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

i dont mind a bit of craic and leg pulling but (and I know you cannot always depict the tone of people on here because you cannot see the facial expressions etc) but some people come across a little bit un-hinged and very vitriol getting so upset about the slightest little things like posts/suggestions and the person that posts on here which is quite disturbing really - maybe they are just keyboard warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭Raichu

i dont mind a bit of craic and leg pulling but (and I know you cannot always depict the tone of people on here because you cannot see the facial expressions etc) but some people come across a little bit un-hinged and very vitriol getting so upset about the slightest little things like posts/suggestions and the person that posts on here which is quite disturbing really - maybe they are just keyboard warriors

I think you need to go back to bed Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I tell you what its awful easy to upset people these days!
    I see bullying is rife still in AH and supremacy rules where one person can can post a load of crap but another person cannot - some things never change.
    It seems you are the person that has gotten upset as people didn't agree with your latest drunk post... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,346 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If we were to go down this road, why would we limit it to A&E?

It would be much more effective if it applied to ALL hospital admissions - anyone who doesn't take 30 minutes exercise five times a week, eat their five fruit and veg every day, or anyone who smokes, or drinks more than the recommended weekly limits - they should all be turned away at the door given their self-inflicted conditions, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Drunks and junkies should go to the back of the line.
    Simple as that.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Simple as that.

Unless they have a life threatening condition they usually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Simple as that.

Or if they overdosed and are going to die then they should be seen to if they are the most urgent cases there, and that is how it works and it shouldnt change!

Hospitals should just save whoever is dying, not choose who is worth saving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

well it is based a bit on favouritism then if the patient is seen by triage nurse first and if she/he decides who can and cannot wait to get treatment - and the judgmental logic could fail as well - maybe there should be a better system where regardless of infliction old people and children and disabled people should be pushed towards the start of the list to get them sorted first and on their way or admitted to a ward if needed (and if one is available)

Not sure why I’m bothering but why would an elderly person, a disabled person or a child in the least pressing category get brought through to be treated first for the sole reason that they are in one of those categories? People in those categories can be in the least urgent grouping as much as any other demographic.

Simple as that.

then on the other hand wouldnt you rather have the loud-mouth rowdy abusive drunks seen first and out so other people can get a bit of peace whilst they are waiting

• Advertisement

Not sure why I’m bothering but why would an elderly person, a disabled person or a child in the least pressing category get brought through to be treated first for the sole reason that they are in one of those categories? People in those categories can be in the least urgent grouping as much as any other demographic.

Well unless there’s someone waiting in critical condition all of those groups are in fact seen first. Especially children. However kids go to the paediatric dept so it’s a little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

then on the other hand wouldnt you rather have the loud-mouth rowdy abusive drunks seen first and out so other people can get a bit of peace whilst they are waiting

If they're that bad maybe there isn't much wrong with them (not a professional attitude of mine, I know, but an EMT i know said it'soften the conscious but quietest people you need to worry about).

There was one possible drunk in the waiting area near me and the security guys had to eject him because he was making lewd comments to the room in general, at the top of his voice.

If they're that bad maybe there isn't much wrong with them (not a professional attitude of mine, I know, but an EMT i know said it'soften the conscious but quietest people you need to worry about).

There was one possible drunk in the waiting area near me and the security guys had to eject him because he was making lewd comments to the room in general, at the top of his voice.

yes have actually heard a paramedic say this before - if they are called out to an RTA they go to the quietest people first if they can - if someone is shouting out it means they are at least conscious (even though must be in terrific pain)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Jesus Andy now you are contradicting your OP, one minute you are saying drunks and addicts to the back of the line or not at all and then you are saying, maybe they should be seen first. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Jesus Andy now you are contradicting your OP, one minute you are saying drunks and addicts to the back of the line or not at all and then you are saying, maybe they should be seen first. :)

and it upsets you or annoys you in what way exactly?

Is there a link? Boards search engine never works for me. :)

Andy's threads are AH appropriate, I think. At least they're not vicious.

This. Be kind, people. Yes, he's very wrong in my view (and the view of many other's) but nobody has to read him, and certainly nobody has to be personally nasty to the poor créatúr.

This. Be kind, people. Yes, he's very wrong in my view (and the view of many other's) but nobody has to read him, and certainly nobody has to be personally nasty to the poor créatúr.

sure no one was nasty to be fair. Just telling him how it is. This idea is stupid and from what I’ve read there’s a history of it. Just like when he made a thread about people wearing glasses that don’t suit them. :pac:

Indeed, people can disagree/debate/ignore. To me it seems like a thought exercise more than a solid opinion.
    He seems fairly compos mentis to me...I was surprised by the thread as I don't remember this aggravation on his posts the last time I looked in on Boards...

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    sure no one was nasty to be fair. Just telling him how it is. This idea is stupid and from what I’ve read there’s a history of it. Just like when he made a thread about people wearing glasses that don’t suit them. :pac:

see this is my problem i dont mind people saying my ideas or posts are stupid (after all in the original post I did ask what others thought) - but read back this thread properly and some peoples answers directed directly to me and of subjects I have raised in the past and then tell me if the attacks (yes some are going to call that OTT word to use, but I will use it because I cannot think of another word ATM) are not aimed directly to me in a derogatory way

I mean shyte if i said something about another member the way a few members have said about me on here calling me stupid, and an embarrassment to the people of sligo and to stop posting shyte - the mods would have been down on my like a ton of bricks and told me to refrain from attacking other users on here and give me a warning or a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 19,913 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If someone accidentally falls over at home and breaks a bone or a hip or something ... thats an accident.

That’s not an accident. I’ve seen these auld biddies recklessly swivel their torsos without turning their legs. Brought it on themselves. Send them to private hospital and let them pay for their crimes.
    if someone has a stroke at home , that is an emergency

Stroke might be genetic but it can also be due to reckless lifestyle over years. Let them go to private hospital.

You could find someone to blame for anything if you want.

I’m happy to pay tax so nobody has to worry about paying for healthcare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,358 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

and it upsets you or annoys you in what way exactly?

Not annoyed at all, just found it funny.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,913 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Double post

RaichuMGS wrote: »
    Well unless there’s someone waiting in critical condition all of those groups are in fact seen first. Especially children. However kids go to the paediatric dept so it’s a little different.

Yes, so are they are still ranked behind people who urgently need to be seen. As it should be if they aren’t seriously ill or injured. Andy appeared to be saying they should be top of the queue no matter what, which is just daft. That person with a dangerously high temperature and an abscess about to burst* can wait, this child has a cut that doesn’t even need stitches!

* I presented to A&E in this condition and was rushed right through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

A and E departments all over the world would be empty if people werent stupid.

People are stupid.

Welcome to the world.

A lot of people in this world have trouble boarding a plane and parking their car. Does the fact that they f*ck themselves up occasionally really surprise you?

Yes, so are they are still ranked behind people who urgently need to be seen. As it should be if they aren’t seriously ill or injured. Andy appeared to be saying they should be top of the queue no matter what, which is just daft. That person with a dangerously high temperature and an abscess about to burst* can wait, this child has a cut that doesn’t even need stitches!

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of abscess?
    I was with someone with a dental abscess that caused ''lockjaw'', he was delirious with a temp. but waited four hours.
    I had the symptoms of a ruptured appendix and waited about that long, too. I could offer many examples of serious symptoms but long waits.
    Maybe it depends on the hospital.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of abscess?
    I was with someone with a dental abscess that caused ''lockjaw'', he was delirious with a temp. but waited four hours.
    I had the symptoms of a ruptured appendix and waited about that long, too. I could offer many examples of serious symptoms but long waits.
    Maybe it depends on the hospital.

I won’t be going in to details on the illness but because of the location, I was at a very high risk of developing septicaemia. It wasn’t a dental abscess. I was a very sick person, the pain I was experiencing alone had caused me to drift in and out of consciousness and my temperature was very, very high. I was producing enormous amounts of pus which was leaking from the abscess. Another 24 hours and I doubt I’d still have been alive.

things have got to be put into perspective - of course you have to weigh up the situation at the time and choose what is best - but if you have a room full (and not every case is an emergency in an A&E department all of the time (that sounds weird but I think its accurate sometimes) - in those cases some people certain people may need to be seen quicker than others - if that is what is already happening and thats how it works these days ... good!

Not annoyed at all, just found it funny.

too late I have already made up my mind that you was trying to point score and also catch me out :)

I won’t be going in to details on the illness but because of the location, I was at a very high risk of developing septicaemia. It wasn’t a dental abscess. I was a very sick person, the pain I was experiencing alone had caused me to drift in and out of consciousness and my temperature was very, very high. I was producing enormous amounts of pus which was leaking from the abscess. Another 24 hours and I doubt I’d still have been alive.

Sounds awful and it's only right that you were given prompt attention. The person I accompanied was in a similar state to yours. The infection had spread into his system.
    I did develop blood poisoning and lifelong complications from my condition and I know of many similar cases who were very sick, very obviously, but didn't receive prompt treatment...
    I do think it's a problem in the particular And E that he and I used on those occasions (which I won't name, of course!). The system on paper doesn't always seem to match the system as it is put into practice.

• Advertisement

Sounds awful and it's only right that you were given prompt attention. The person I accompanied was in a similar state to yours. The infection had spread into his system.
    I did develop blood poisoning and lifelong complications from my condition and I know of many similar cases who were very sick, very obviously, but didn't receive prompt treatment...
    I do think it's a problem in the particular And E that he and I used on those occasions (which I won't name, of course!). The system on paper doesn't always seem to match the system as it is put into practice.

Yes, that A&E sounds awful. I unfortunately have been through A&E in a few different hospitals and I was rushed through everything time I needed to be. I do find it hard to believe that I wouldn’t have been brought straight through with the condition I was in with the abscess at the hospital you describe but maybe. I would have gone unconscious if there had been any kind of wait though so that would have got them moving.

Advertisement