Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.

Garda Recruitment Stage 3 (2018 Campaign)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 SHIELDSRED

Well, I got interview and form B etc at the beginning of September. I had to pick a date between the last 2 weeks of September. So really you could minimum 2 weeks to prepare.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

Cathyc125 wrote: »
    Has anyone got a date for the physical yet?

I believe the physical is after the medical in this campaign, in 2016 it was before

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cathyc125

Henry2006 wrote: »
    I believe the physical is after the medical in this campaign, in 2016 it was before
    At stage two in the induction the guard the physical was before the medical this year

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lets hope

Cathyc125 wrote: »
    At stage two in the induction the guard the physical was before the medical this year

They might change it up because there is quiet few failures in the physical.
    But i did the medical few months before physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

I’m filling in my form b, I was told you had to put in details of your first cousins but I can’t see mention of cousins on the form itself just aunts and uncles

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Uweir32 wrote: »
    I’m filling in my form b, I was told you had to put in details of your first cousins but I can’t see mention of cousins on the form itself just aunts and uncles

First cousins only come into it when you enter Templemore. Think it's only the ones that live in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dubj

Elliot192 wrote: »
    First cousins only come into it when you enter Templemore. Think it's only the ones that live in Ireland too.

Hi just wondering did they post this form out to you? I just booked in for my stage 3 yesterday and I can’t find a copy of the sheet they gave us leaving the stage 2 exam which outlines what we need to bring to interview. Would you have this by any chance?

dubj wrote: »

Hi just wondering did they post this form out to you? I just booked in for my stage 3 yesterday and I can’t find a copy of the sheet they gave us leaving the stage 2 exam which outlines what we need to bring to interview. Would you have this by any chance?

They email it to you in a couple of days,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

What do people usually wear to the interview? Suit or nice shirt & pants?

Got my date now, currently jogging & doing park runs, lots of gym work for physical, and starting to prep answers for competencies for the interview.

Beep test & Interview are my only fears going forward... !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

bottar1 wrote: »
    What do people usually wear to the interview? Suit or nice shirt & pants?

Got my date now, currently jogging & doing park runs, lots of gym work for physical, and starting to prep answers for competencies for the interview.

Beep test & Interview are my only fears going forward... !!!

Suited and booted but I've seen lads in shirt, tie and trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Red59

Does anyone know how long the medical/fitness tests are on after the interview ?

Red59 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long the medical/fitness tests are on after the interview ?

I would also like to know this. I've already started prepping for fitness because I'm fearing the beep test, I'd say it wouldn't be too long, I hear you get the interview results after about 2 weeks, so then after that, a month or two??

Anyone have any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

bottar1 wrote: »
    I would also like to know this. I've already started prepping for fitness because I'm fearing the beep test, I'd say it wouldn't be too long, I hear you get the interview results after about 2 weeks, so then after that, a month or two??

Anyone have any idea?

I'm from the 2017 campaign. I did my interview in November and didn't have the physical until July so the wait could be months. The process can be very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lynch93

I just got my invite for my interview a couple days ago and booked a date. Do they email me out form B and or anything else needed? Tried finding answer here and just see people are filling it out but not sure where you get it. Thanks

Lynch93 wrote: »
    I just got my invite for my interview a couple days ago and booked a date. Do they email me out form B and or anything else needed? Tried finding answer here and just see people are filling it out but not sure where you get it. Thanks

They will email it to you through PAS. That and familiraistion material.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Any idea what OOM they're on. Still up to 350 is it ?

Ladies... what did you wear to your interview? Dress or trousers be grand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Ladies... what did you wear to your interview? Dress or trousers be grand?

I wore a trouser suit but you'd be grand in a dress/skirt as long as you look smart. That said, all the women I saw wore trousers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 S_e_a_n

Hi, just wondering if someone would know about this, Form B states they can contact my employer in advance of interview, not really ideal for candidates who may but be successful and then their employer knowing they are looking to leave,, my references are separate and I'd rather they didn't contact my employer, can I just tick the box for refusing this , would it go against me? Also if Aunts and Uncles separate from their partners years ago do I still need to include their ex partner

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

S_e_a_n wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if someone would know about this, Form B states they can contact my employer in advance of interview, not really ideal for candidates who may but be successful and then their employer knowing they are looking to leave,, my references are separate and I'd rather they didn't contact my employer, can I just tick the box for refusing this , would it go against me? Also if Aunts and Uncles separate from their partners years ago do I still need to include their ex partner

Pure speculation but I woudn't say it would look good. Then again, they do ask you for permission to contact them where as they don't ask permission to contact the rest of your referees.

I spoke with my employer and told her it was something that I was considering and that it wouldn't effect my current contract (which is true). I understand not wanting to let them know but if you think they'd be reasonable about it at all I'd just have a quiet word with them.

Also, it's just aunts and uncles, not their partners.

Yeah was thinking the same thing. My boss is pretty descent so will do no harm hopefully, ah okay so even if they married I can leave them off the form only put my relatives on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

S_e_a_n wrote: »
    Yeah was thinking the same thing. My boss is pretty descent so will do no harm hopefully, ah okay so even if they married I can leave them off the form only put my relatives on it?

It won't look bad if you don't want them to contact your current employer, it would be common for people not want perspective employers not to contact their current employer.
    It will be your local station that contact all your reference, if your other references are solid then won't matter. If there is a problem with any of your other references (their reference is too vague, they refuse to give you a reference or the local sergeant came to find that you don't know your reference too well and it's not a true reflection on your character they will ask you in your local interview to give you another reference.
    Ticking that box won't make a difference to your application.

Blood relatives only, no need to include the people married into your family.
    Hope that helps.

Perfect, thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mright123

Hey guys, I would really appreciate if someone could give me a rough answer to this. What OOM has been called for stage 3 so far? This is my first campaign and I'm quite unfamiliar with how long it generally takes. My OOM is 700 and I am wondering how long would I be waiting around to be called to interview. I am fairly confident that they will reach my OOM as they said that they were recruiting 800 in this campaign. Lastly, I also saw previous comments earlier on in this forum, where other candidates said that if you 'pass stage 2 your guaranteed an interview'. If that is true. Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

Hey, has anyone had issues filling in the Form B? When I write long addresses in the blanks, they don't fully appear on the page. Adjusting the width or lenght of the cell or the row doesn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

Anyone that's done their interview so far, does the interview panel ask for multiple answers on the same competency, and if so, which ones?

I have my interview next week but I'm unsure about how many answers to prepare for each.
    Any advice would be appreciated :)

Anyone that's done their interview so far, does the interview panel ask for multiple answers on the same competency, and if so, which ones?

I have my interview next week but I'm unsure about how many answers to prepare for each.
    Any advice would be appreciated :)

I’ve only got one main example for each one so I hope that’s prepared enough to not need more lol - im very concerned about the motivation to be a garda question, is it still an example based question do ya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

I’ve only got one main example for each one so I hope that’s prepared enough to not need more lol - im very concerned about the motivation to be a garda question, is it still an example based question do ya reckon?

You need more than one example. I gave 2 for each and passed but got asked for 3 on one competency because 2 I provided perhaps weren't that strong or relevant.

I strongly advise having 2 minimum. Have 3 really. They will always ask to give an example of a time you made a tough decision and after your finished they will ask for another time.

Be able to intertwine them and all focused on the Garda role and how they would help you in the role.