Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Recruitment Stage 3 (2018 Campaign)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

al1990 wrote: »
    Is it worth appealing if you fail on just report writing? I got 35?

It might not change the outcome but you have nothing to lose.

Think there is a v short window for lodging an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 al1990

Cheers mate 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

OOM between 50 and 75 but I won't be able to advance. May have to take the Irish test and since I'm not from here, it is quite a big ask and I will likely fail it. I am doing what I can to salvage this campaign for myself anyway.

I have a year of second language in university but it is at too low a level.

I don't give up easily though but if anyone is in the same boat and studying for the Irish test, PM me sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

Does anyone know where i can find the job simulation questions that were given on the 4th of september up in public jobs centre? or is it even possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Does anyone know where i can find the job simulation questions that were given on the 4th of september up in public jobs centre? or is it even possible
    It wouldn't be much of a test if people had those.

If you did one of the career services preparation courses they have many similar answers with the rationale given. I'm not too sure if you can still sign up for the online course but worth checking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭howsitgoingboy

It wouldn't be much of a test if people had those.

If you did one of the career services preparation courses they have many similar answers with the rationale given. I'm not too sure if you can still sign up for the online course but worth checking up.

Well i obviously knew they wouldnt put the Q's up before the test like, i just thought they might put them up after...the reason why i ask is i thought the answers given to the question were broad and were all relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Have any of you guys went into your local garda station and tried to talk to a current garda about the job and the like? I'm thinking it would be good to do and be able to talk about in the interview...

If anyone did do this, how'd you get in contact, did you go in person, or call them to arrange it or?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

bottar1 wrote: »
    Have any of you guys went into your local garda station and tried to talk to a current garda about the job and the like? I'm thinking it would be good to do and be able to talk about in the interview...

I don't know if I would just land in to the station. If someone you know has anyone they can put you in contact with , it might be a bit less awkward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

bottar1 wrote: »

I don't know if I would just land in to the station. If someone you know has anyone they can put you in contact with , it might be a bit less awkward.

I know a retired Garda in my order of malta unit, probably better to talk to him as I know him. I'll do that instead. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Are interviews for the first 350 still taking place?
    And have they called the group's in group's of 175?
    Thanks

With the announcement today about garda recruitment in the budget 2019, does that mean for definite that there will be a new Garda competition next year?

al1990 wrote: »
    With the announcement today about garda recruitment in the budget 2019, does that mean for definite that there will be a new Garda competition next year?

No idea but it definitely means there will be 4 intakes next year. I would be surprised if there wasn't a new competition unless there is some plan to freeze recruitment I'm 2020, but that would fly in the face of all past media releases on the topic of increasing member numbers.

Sound man ðŸ‘😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

No idea but it definitely means there will be 4 intakes next year. I would be surprised if there wasn't a new competition unless there is some plan to freeze recruitment I'm 2020, but that would fly in the face of all past media releases on the topic of increasing member numbers.

Was there not a few recruitment campaigns last year? I thought there were 3? If I’m correct, this would lead me to believe that there be a few this year (2018)?? Or am I missing something??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

job seeker wrote: »
    Was there not a few recruitment campaigns last year? I thought there were 3? If I’m correct, this would lead me to believe that there be a few this year (2018)?? Or am I missing something??

There's only ever one campaign a year, there are are several 'intakes' a year where people that are waiting to go to Templemore are picked from the list and called down.

Strider wrote: »
    There's only ever one campaign a year, there are are several 'intakes' a year where people that are waiting to go to Templemore are picked from the list and called down.

There were two in 2016 but that could have been because there were none in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

Regarding order of merit and when to expect an interview. I had a look at a family member's pervious 2016 campaign. They scored in the 1000s and got offered an interview a month or so later. However each campaign is always a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Strider wrote: »

Ah I see. That’s what I’m mixing up.. cheers for clearing that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ciara2018

Just wondering about the competencies do you get them when you receive the invitation with the date of your interview or in the first email we got saying we passed stage 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Koccy89

Ciara2018 wrote: »
    Just wondering about the competencies do you get them when you receive the invitation with the date of your interview or in the first email we got saying we passed stage 2

We will get them when we get our invitation to stage 3 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

Koccy89 wrote: »
    We will get them when we get our invitation to stage 3 :)

I got mine later. I'd have to check to be sure but I think I got mine just over a week before my interview, maybe two at most.

You can prepare though, there are different threads floating round on here with examples of approx 8 potential competencies. I prepared examples for all of those. Then when I got the actual competencies I tailored them a bit and used the extra ones as back ups. There can be some overlap.
    You can also use your time now to think over your life/career, and think of moments that stand out, where your strengths shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

Alright lads, I'm a bit lost on the Form B bit about references. It says to list 2 general referees and then it goes on to say "References should be attached, where available."

Does this mean I ask the referees I have listed to write up a character reference in writing to attach to the Form B?

Cheers :)

Alright lads, I'm a bit lost on the Form B bit about references. It says to list 2 general referees and then it goes on to say "References should be attached, where available."

Does this mean I ask the referees I have listed to write up a character reference in writing to attach to the Form B?

Cheers :)

Yes. I did this when it was practical (ie not burdensome on the person). It isn't strictly necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Koccy89

I got mine later. I'd have to check to be sure but I think I got mine just over a week before my interview, maybe two at most.

You can prepare though, there are different threads floating round on here with examples of approx 8 potential competencies. I prepared examples for all of those. Then when I got the actual competencies I tailored them a bit and used the extra ones as back ups. There can be some overlap.
    You can also use your time now to think over your life/career, and think of moments that stand out, where your strengths shine.

That's great thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

Hi guys,

Anybody know when the interviews are for the higher OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kellbag91

farrelly90 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Anybody know when the interviews are for the higher OOM?

How long is a piece of string, jokes. Obviously all dependant on your placement. I would think the second 350 will be called up in a month or so. I'm basing this off a family members results, they were offered an interview a month or so after they received a score. But it could be different this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭farrelly90

kellbag91 wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string, jokes. Obviously all dependant on your placement. I would think the second 350 will be called up in a month or so. I'm basing this off a family members results, they were offered an interview a month or so after they received a score. But it could be different this time.

This is going to be a long road I’m presuming so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cathyc125

Has anyone got a date for the physical yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 JenM1984

Hi there,

How far in advance do you get your interview date? I wanted to do a prep course but there doesn’t seem to be any available right now.

Advertisement