Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment Stage 3 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Did anyone move oom from just outside the top 350 and jump up considerably?
    I'm assuming some people from outside that number moved up to account for the people that failed, but I'm curious to know if someone got a higher oom than someone who passed from the first cohort.
    Just wondering if our oom can change yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭leheaven

Has anyone requested the feedback of the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

leheaven wrote: »
    Has anyone requested the feedback of the interview?

How do we do this I would really like mine

• Registered Users Posts: 25 traceyf933

Yeah I was just outside 350 but moved up a good chunk after interview results yesterday...probably due to no shows and fails from the earlier batch

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stuky69

Had interview yesterday. Hard to know how it went. Focused on certain jobs in certain competencies. Didn’t get to use my volunteering as much as I would have liked. They focused on jobs directly related to Garda role e.g customer facing and confrontational roles like barwork and briefly looked at current job. Seemed hard but fair overall in my opinion and gave an opportunity to let you get out what they wanted to hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

How high is the OOM that are being called to interview roughly? I looked at the message from 3rd Oct that said they called or were calling up to OOM 350 then.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

CZ 453 wrote: »
    How high is the OOM that are being called to interview roughly? I looked at the message from 3rd Oct that said they called or were calling up to OOM 350 then.

They're somewhere in the 500's at the moment so I've been told think maybe even mid 500 range.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

CZ 453 wrote: »

I’m only a few spots after 350 and I got interviewed on Thursday just gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

I am mid 400s and had mine this morning. Found that I was able to answer all their questions but they pulled more from work and prepared competencies weren't able to be used so much. Time flew. I felt the Garda tried to catch me out on motivation to be a Garda.

I talked so much everything was like a blur, I do t know what my most language was like or anything. Just was in the zone trying to get through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

bottar1 wrote: »
    I am mid 400s and had mine this morning. Found that I was able to answer all their questions but they pulled more from work and prepared competencies weren't able to be used so much. Time flew. I felt the Garda tried to catch me out on motivation to be a Garda.

I talked so much everything was like a blur, I do t know what my most language was like or anything. Just was in the zone trying to get through it.

I felt the same about the “motivation to be a Garda” ... that for me was the hardest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

Anyone know what batch they are on at the moment? i was 430ish and had mine monday! Any ideas of what the batches are? like 350-550 is one batch etc?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Linenbasket

I felt the same about the “motivation to be a Garda” ... that for me was the hardest

Can I ask in what way was it hard? Was it the way it was asked or something else? Thanks.

Can I ask in what way was it hard? Was it the way it was asked or something else? Thanks.
    I'll pm you

Harder as in I had to think a bit more carefully, my answers didn't come out as quick, I felt like I needed to be more careful with answering his questions from his body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Linenbasket

I'll pm you

Thank you !

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gadaves

Harder as in I had to think a bit more carefully, my answers didn't come out as quick, I felt like I needed to be more careful with answering his questions from his body language.

Ya I felt the inspector was annoyed with me from the start for some reason, maybe because my interview was at 4pm and they were tired if I had it to do again I'd go in at 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paddyjken

Gadaves wrote: »
    Ya I felt the inspector was annoyed with me from the start for some reason, maybe because my interview was at 4pm and they were tired if I had it to do again I'd go in at 9.

I did mine at 9.15am and i felt the inspector had no interest in being there at all.
    Body language was very bad but the other two in the room seemed very approachable.

Exact same feeling I was trying to get across. But maybe they are all briefed like that to rattle you.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

Exact same feeling I was trying to get across. But maybe they are all briefed like that to rattle you.

No. My inspector was beaming with a smile the entire time and even helped me out when another panel member was expressing confusion about my employment history. I thought they were briefed to be super friendly so that we aren't rattled by the only uniformed member in the room.

Maybe that isn't what people want to hear but I was convinced I failed afterward. A lot of us are....don't worry or read into body language. More than half of applicants pass stage 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Koccy89

I just got my invite for the interview for two weeks time :D

Koccy89 wrote: »
    I just got my invite for the interview for two weeks time :D

Congrats :-)

No. My inspector was beaming with a smile the entire time and even helped me out when another panel member was expressing confusion about my employment history. I thought they were briefed to be super friendly so that we aren't rattled by the only uniformed member in the room.

Maybe that isn't what people want to hear but I was convinced I failed afterward. A lot of us are....don't worry or read into body language. More than half of applicants pass stage 3.

I suppose it's just perception, maybe he was trying to help me in clarifying details so id hit more marks. He did try to smile. I'll hope for the best, no matter what I'll get this job someday 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Got my invitation for interview! So happy and very nervous haha

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Had my interview today. I thought I had prepared well, very well actually but I felt the interview wasn’t great. I felt the two members from PAS or wherever were very hard to please, they kept probing into my interpersonal and my delivery of results, so I feel I may have dropped short in them. The other competencies went well I think and the Garda inspector seemed very nice also. It’s going to be a very long 3 weeks wait to find out my faith . Not getting my hopes up though.

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    Had my interview today. I thought I had prepared well, very well actually but I felt the interview wasn’t great. I felt the two members from PAS or wherever were very hard to please, they kept probing into my interpersonal and my delivery of results, so I feel I may have dropped short in them. The other competencies went well I think and the Garda inspector seemed very nice also. It’s going to be a very long 3 weeks wait to find out my faith . Not getting my hopes up though.

Had mine yesterday feeling the same

• Advertisement

When I was asked this I had a great answer prepared but not long into talking I was asked questions. So I didn’t get to say everything I wanted but instead got to bring in other things. I was told at the start of the interview that they will cut across you to ask questions and don’t be disheartened, they just want to know more.

Uweir32 wrote: »

I read on one of the PAS forms that we can get in touch with them to request the feedback. I can’t check where I saw that at the moment but I will and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Gadaves wrote: »
    Had mine yesterday feeling the same

I suppose I probably didn’t hit the marks and they were trying to pull me up asking into it. I hope I hit it or I will be devastated. Third time trying now and it’s really exhausting at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lealor17

jojomama wrote: »
    I found the interview tough to be honest. The questions really thew me even though I had prepared and really don't lack experience and I was so nervous! I know I haven't got it, so hard not to beat myself up and go through it over and over. Think they might be near the end of this batch so probably not long left for people to wait for results

I was the exact same and they kept stopping me and asking different questions and then my answers ended up being all over the place! Don't worry I'm doing the exact same and am going over what I should have said differently, but look I don't think we should beat ourselves up and instead use the experience we got from the interview to use again if we need too. The best of luck to you and hopefully the results will be out soon!

Did you get your result already or have just finished it?

I felt the inspector was friendly as could be. I also convinced myself it didn’t go well yesterday but no point dwelling on it now.

• Advertisement

traceyf933 wrote: »
    Yeah I was just outside 350 but moved up a good chunk after interview results yesterday...probably due to no shows and fails from the earlier batch

That's interesting, I suppose based roughly off the numbers in this thread it seems to be around 1 in 7 that have failed, which would be around 50 people.

Just on the inspector in the interview, mine was a female in plain clothes. She was quite nice. Her questions were firm but fair.
    Motivation to be a Garda seems to have thrown a lot of people. I think what they're looking for more than anything is that you actually know what the career entails, rather than the general perception of the Gardai by laypeople. Not only that but your motivation comes from a genuine place, rather than a monetary or power-seeking desire. And as mentioned before, to know what your initial 2 years training (especially the 8 months in Templemore) encompass.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 userunkown

Does form b still ask for a garda reference?

userunkown wrote: »
    Does form b still ask for a garda reference?

You can add a Garda reference but it’s optional

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

leheaven wrote: »
    Uweir32 wrote: »

I read on one of the PAS forms that we can get in touch with them to request the feedback. I can’t check where I saw that at the moment but I will and get back to you.

I rang yesterday and they told me to email my request to gardarecruitment2018@publicjobs.ie

That's interesting, I suppose based roughly off the numbers in this thread it seems to be around 1 in 7 that have failed, which would be around 50 people.

Just on the inspector in the interview, mine was a female in plain clothes. She was quite nice. Her questions were firm but fair.
    Motivation to be a Garda seems to have thrown a lot of people. I think what they're looking for more than anything is that you actually know what the career entails, rather than the general perception of the Gardai by laypeople. Not only that but your motivation comes from a genuine place, rather than a monetary or power-seeking desire. And as mentioned before, to know what your initial 2 years training (especially the 8 months in Templemore) encompass.

Hopefully then, because I had referenced speaking to a current garda, showed knowledge of shift system, templemore training, subjects etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭User2206

Can anyone send me on the competency’s if they have them? I’ve checked all the familaration booklets that we’ve been sent since application and I can’t see anything with them mentioned on it? Thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

It might be correct. I jumped up 50 places, in fact

User2206 wrote: »
    Can anyone send me on the competency’s if they have them? I’ve checked all the familaration booklets that we’ve been sent since application and I can’t see anything with them mentioned on it? Thanks ��

You will get them with the invitation to the interview, don't worry

Oruam wrote: »
    It might be correct. I jumped up 50 places, in fact
    Well congrats, either way you must have done a very good interview. Having one of the highest ooms in your cohort you'd have been doing well just to maintain your position.

Hearns2017 wrote: »
    I suppose I probably didn’t hit the marks and they were trying to pull me up asking into it. I hope I hit it or I will be devastated. Third time trying now and it’s really exhausting at this stage.

Have you got to the interview stage before??

• Advertisement

Well congrats, either way you must have done a very good interview. Having one of the highest ooms in your cohort you'd have been doing well just to maintain your position.

Thank you, but I wouldn't say my oom is among the highest ones in my group: I'm just in the low 200s now (which is grand for me, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

Is there anyone booked in for an interview next week? Just wondered if last week was the end of the batch or if they had more to get through. Trying to anticipate when results might be out, as it's on my mind

jojomama wrote: »
    Is there anyone booked in for an interview next week? Just wondered if last week was the end of the batch or if they had more to get through. Trying to anticipate when results might be out, as it's on my mind

Batch ended today.

If the batch ended yesterday... I say we could get results end next week possibly.

Stuky69 wrote: »
    Batch ended today.

And What was your OOM?

OscarKilo wrote: »
    And What was your OOM?

400ish

Stuky69 wrote: »
    400ish

Cool, hopefully we find out tomorrow!

OscarKilo wrote: »
    Cool, hopefully we find out tomorrow!

I’d be surprised like. I was gearing up for a 3 week wait but I done mine last Monday. Hardly get the results after a week like!

rossd92 wrote: »
    I’d be surprised like. I was gearing up for a 3 week wait but I done mine last Monday. Hardly get the results after a week like!

They have them graded pretty much as soon you walk out so I wouldn't surprised. I got mine a week after which meant some people only had to wait 2 working days. I'm fairly sure both interview cohorts have had their results the Tuesday after the last interview day (we did anyway).

• Advertisement

They have them graded pretty much as soon you walk out so I wouldn't surprised. I got mine a week after which meant some people only had to wait 2 working days. I'm fairly sure both interview cohorts have had their results the Tuesday after the last interview day (we did anyway).

that would really be great, put me out of my misery haha. fingers crossed we wake up to them so, and that its good news of course!

Advertisement