Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Recruitment Stage 3 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 originalhobo

rossd92 wrote: »
    Hey guys, i have my interview next week and feel my examples of competencies are possibly not enough? how do they ask for them, if ye are allowed explain? Do they just say tell me a time when you showed resiliency or whatever competency or are they more specific?

They're asked in a similar vein to what you've said, but some have said in the thread that they may ask for up to 3 examples for each competency, so I'd have at least 2 answers prepared for each. Give yourself some breathing room with your answers so you can apply it to however they ask the question aswell.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

They're asked in a similar vein to what you've said, but some have said in the thread that they may ask for up to 3 examples for each competency, so I'd have at least 2 answers prepared for each. Give yourself some breathing room with your answers so you can apply it to however they ask the question aswell.

Second this.

Also the reason you want more than one example prepared is they can ask you when you demonstrated a certain competency ay a specitic time in your life or in a certain job or when you were in uni, so it is good to have backup answers prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 rossd92

Cheers, i dont think ive ever worked myself so much over an interview in my life :( haha.

Second this.

Also the reason you want more than one example prepared is they can ask you when you demonstrated a certain competency ay a specitic time in your life or in a certain job or when you were in uni, so it is good to have backup answers prepared.

Ya i have 2 examples prepared for each competency and i feel fine talking about them i guess, just not sure if they are good enough examples. Will have to see on the day i guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭OscarKilo

Hi folks,

Had my interview in the 300s OOM, I never asked when I would find out as to the results of the interview, any of my fellow boards.ie folks around my OOM or even anybody remotely close to my OMM know what timeframe there is?

OscarKilo

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Vital Work

OscarKilo wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Had my interview in the 300s OOM, I never asked when I would find out as to the results of the interview, any of my fellow boards.ie folks around my OOM or even anybody remotely close to my OMM know what timeframe there is?

OscarKilo

Took me just under 2 weeks to get my results, I think once the certain block of interviews is over they issue the results for everyone in that block. Not 100% sure on that though. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mrletsdothis

Does anyone know when you receive your interview results, do you get a mark on how well you did in each competency?

Vital Work wrote: »
    Took me just under 2 weeks to get my results, I think once the certain block of interviews is over they issue the results for everyone in that block. Not 100% sure on that though. Hope that helps.

Cheers for the reply I greatly appreciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Does anyone know when you receive your interview results, do you get a mark on how well you did in each competency?

No you just get your new OOM unless things have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Oruam

Elliot192 wrote: »
    No you just get your new OOM unless things have changed.

Shouldn't the OOM change after each of the blocks? Like, what if somebody from the second block moves up in the OOM and pushes down people from the first block, who already got their new position?

Anyone know will they only do the background check using your form B if you pass the interview? Or does the process start anyway because I imagine they have meetings after he interview to decide who gets out through

Anyone know will they only do the background check using your form B if you pass the interview? Or does the process start anyway because I imagine they have meetings after he interview to decide who gets out through

If you pass, the application is forwarded to Garda HQ and then it is sent to your local station or the vetting department, not sure which comes first.

If you don't pass, assume everything you have written in form B this year will be compared to whatever you submit next year.

I really doubt anyone would vet you for the craic if you don't pass the interview.

Oruam wrote: »
    Shouldn't the OOM change after each of the blocks? Like, what if somebody from the second block moves up in the OOM and pushes down people from the first block, who already got their new position?

I wondered this myself. But if you are 300 at Stage 2 and ace the interview, when you average your scores it would be impossible for you to usurp the guy who has an OOM of, say 12, I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lealor17

After just completing my interview on Friday, I think the actual wait for the results will be the hardest part! Best of luck to anybody left to do there's in this batch!

lealor17 wrote: »
    After just completing my interview on Friday, I think the actual wait for the results will be the hardest part! Best of luck to anybody left to do there's in this batch!

Did they tell you when we would find out? 😄

• Advertisement

lealor17 wrote: »

Did they tell you when we would find out? ��

PAS told me on the day that it would be 2-3 weeks after the interview before we get results back.
    2 weeks seems very quick though so I'd imagine it would be closer to 3-4.

PAS told me on the day that it would be 2-3 weeks after the interview before we get results back.
    2 weeks seems very quick though so I'd imagine it would be closer to 3-4.

I see, when did you sit your interview? You in the 300s with your OOM?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gadaves

Hey congrats to all that have passed, have my interview on Tuesday just wondering do they ask much about what you know about training and the day to day life as a trainee? Or is it all competency based?

Also is a suit mandatory because I will have to buy a new one if that's the case.

Also the questions they ask in regards to the competencies, how are they phrased are the specific or vague?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 lealor17

They said in the interview that it would be 3 weeks before I find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Gadaves wrote: »
    Hey congrats to all that have passed, have my interview on Tuesday just wondering do they ask much about what you know about training and the day to day life as a trainee? Or is it all competency based?

Also is a suit mandatory because I will have to buy a new one if that's the case.
    There is no dress code but you would want to be wearing slacks, a shirt, tie and dress shoes for the interview (so essentially yes, a suit). Pennys is your friend here if you haven't any of those. I wore a blazer as I normally would for an interview. I was also advised to have a 'tight' haircut.

Just to repeat about the interview results, our results were released the Tuesday after the last interview in my cohort. I was only waiting a week for mine despite being told 3-4 weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

It is a formal interview so in my option a suit is essential. Rememeber it is a uniformed profession you are being interviewed for so I'd be turned out. Polished shoes etc.
    I would learn off training structure/pay structure and Garda Ranks.
    Questions asked are specific to your carrier/ education history.

Anyone know how they treat you? Is it a friendly atmosphere like normal job interviews or are they tough and interrogating?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

rossd92 wrote: »
    Anyone know how they treat you? Is it a friendly atmosphere like normal job interviews or are they tough and interrogating?

Friendly. They want to hear about what you've done and they will do their best to keep it as calm and friendly as possible. It's of no one's benefit if you're nervous and on the defensive throughout. That being said they will ask thorough questions so prepare well.

Thanks for the responses, is it all based on the competencies and your application form, or are there any curve balls like questions about the training in temple more?

Thanks for the responses, is it all based on the competencies and your application form, or are there any curve balls like questions about the training in temple more?

It's not a curve ball. You are expected to know the modules and roughly what you will be studying and for how long ie the different phases. All this information is available on the garda website. You don't need to be an expert but you do need to be familiar with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Last year for mine they asked me had I looked up the training programme, I said I had and they left it at that and moved on. Could go either way.

Strider wrote: »
    Last year for mine they asked me had I looked up the training programme, I said I had and they left it at that and moved on. Could go either way.

True that! But in my interview they wanted to know everything I knew about the modules and phases. I'd only had a quick look and forgot what some of the modules were and what they were about. Turns out it didn't affect my results in the end but it didn't look good and left me feeling glad when the motivation to be a garda segment was finally over. Shed a lot of sweat that day!

I see, when did you sit your interview? You in the 300s with your OOM?

Yeah around that number, I sat mine 2 weeks ago so hopefully not long until results are out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Elliot192 wrote: »
    True that! But in my interview they wanted to know everything I knew about the modules and phases. I'd only had a quick look and forgot what some of the modules were and what they were about. Turns out it didn't affect my results in the end but it didn't look good and left me feeling glad when the motivation to be a garda segment was finally over. Shed a lot of sweat that day!

Might I ask you one thing about this... for the Motivation to be a garda did you have a prepared answer, as in... a specific event, or are you pulling multiple things you did...

For example, my prep for the other 4 competencies is two solid examples with lots to talk about, but for Motivation to be a garda I'm guessing its more general, showing everything you did?? And your knowledge of what the Garda do, what units your interested in, etc?

I was going to use my decision to volunteer as an example for it, and support that with other knowledge of the Garda, does anyone have an opinion on if thats suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

Second batch of interview results out!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Can’t believe I passed! On to the next stage... I was told in PAS that should be around January time - do we think that’s still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Linenbasket

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Can’t believe I passed! On to the next stage... I was told in PAS that should be around January time - do we think that’s still the case?

Congratulations that's great ! How long were you waiting for the results?

Congrats!!!

Where were you on the OOM going into the interview? did it change much with the new results?

I moved up about 90ish I think. A week and half wait as I was on the second last day of the interviewing I think. Some would have waited longer

Congrats!! What OOM were you before the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Polly26

I moved up about 90ish I think. A week and half wait as I was on the second last day of the interviewing I think. Some would have waited longer

congratulations to you all..I passed too.. Here still in shock..I moved up 140 places..it’s such a relief to have results after waiting 3 weeks..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dubj

I did my interview a week ago tomorrow but got no message today with results?? Anyone else the same? Well done to everyone who passed!!

• Advertisement

dubj wrote: »
    I did my interview a week ago tomorrow but got no message today with results?? Anyone else the same? Well done to everyone who passed!!

Yeah I did my interview last week too, I think we are in the batch after these. I was told in PAS it usually takes 2-3 weeks like what others said here.

And congrats to all who passed , well done !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dubj

Yeah I did my interview last week too, I think we are in the batch after these. I was told in PAS it usually takes 2-3 weeks like what others said here.

And congrats to all who passed , well done !!

Thanks for that another bit to wait! Best of luck to you

I’d be in the same boat late last week also, I’d imagine we are gonna be next week or the following!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jojomama

I found the interview tough to be honest. The questions really thew me even though I had prepared and really don't lack experience and I was so nervous! I know I haven't got it, so hard not to beat myself up and go through it over and over. Think they might be near the end of this batch so probably not long left for people to wait for results

jojomama wrote: »
    I found the interview tough to be honest. The questions really thew me even though I had prepared and really don't lack experience and I was so nervous! I know I haven't got it, so hard not to beat myself up and go through it over and over. Think they might be near the end of this batch so probably not long left for people to wait for results

I remember you posting similar prophecies about how well you did in stage 1 or 2 and you made it to stage 3. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies! If not this time, then next time. The interview process is so transparent that it is easy enough to improve and get in with the right kind of coaching, practice or self reflection.

Just out from my interview there, had 2 examples prepared for each competency but needed nearly 4 for each was flustered at one point hope it doesn't go against me too much
    Went in hoping the nerves didn't get to me but ended up getting asked if I thought I was overconfident.
    Now for a couple weeks of torture waiting.

• Advertisement

bottar1 wrote: »
    Might I ask you one thing about this... for the Motivation to be a garda did you have a prepared answer, as in... a specific event, or are you pulling multiple things you did...

For example, my prep for the other 4 competencies is two solid examples with lots to talk about, but for Motivation to be a garda I'm guessing its more general, showing everything you did?? And your knowledge of what the Garda do, what units your interested in, etc?

I was going to use my decision to volunteer as an example for it, and support that with other knowledge of the Garda, does anyone have an opinion on if thats suitable?

When I did my interview PAS/AGS didn't give us any information about what they expected us to cover in each competency. It sounds like they do now so I would stick to what you've been given. But yeah it is essentially why do you want to be a guard, what do you know about the job and the training and what makes you think you'd be any good at it. Plus if you are v young/v old/ on a reasonable or high salary/ have a mortgage etc be prepared to answer questions about how you'd fit in/cope with a drop in pay /the training/possibility of being moved to the other end of the country etc.

As for the units you are interested in make sure you are realistic and have done your homework ie it'll be 3 - 6 years before you'll be in any position to even think about moving and there are a lot of very experienced people in the queue ahead of you. So don't rush in to the interview and say something like you want to join the armed response unit or the dog unit or be a detective (unless you were in a specialist army unit or a UK police force K-9 unit or something like that...)

So yes if you've volunteered and that has motivated you to become a guard that sounds like a good plan. But make sure you cover whatever information you have been given about the competency.

I had an example. It wasn't great but I got through it.

jojomama wrote: »

Ah I feel the same. I had lots of examples practiced but their questioning was very specific; for example they chose a past job and asked me a question about it.. where my example was related to another job. And also they cut me off so many times so I dunno... all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

Ah I feel the same. I had lots of examples practiced but their questioning was very specific; for example they chose a past job and asked me a question about it.. where my example was related to another job. And also they cut me off so many times so I dunno... all we can do is wait and hope for the best.

In the same boat as you, waiting for results will definitely be the hardest part.

Last weeks interviews were from the next batch you won’t get your results until everyone in your batch has completed their interviews. Could be another 2/3 weeks for you I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

That except same scenario happened me in my interview. Don't be too worried.

• Advertisement
Advertisement