Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have an annual subscription for Yoga For BJJ that I got comped because I had a few problems with their site. Repeatedly having difficulty logging in, problems with what was showing on my account overview page, etc. So can't fault the customer service in that it was a generous way to correct for the issues.

Good things about Yoga For BJJ:-

Sebastian is a good teacher and the various beginner and intermediate video series make sense and if you follow them 2-3 times through then that's a very productive way to spend a couple of months. In order to manage just from streaming them in your own home you probably do need to have a pretty good sense of body awareness and maybe ideally have some background in yoga or physical training. Although there's a 'yoga for rocks' program designed for people who are very immobile I think if that's you then it's probably best to get hands-on work with someone to avoid any issues.

Price-wise it is not hugely expensive and I did make a lot of progress sticking to it for the few months. My joints felt better, my guard improved and I was sleeping better at night (typically did the sessions after the kids were in bed and before I went down myself).

'Bad' things about Yoga For BJJ:-

I feel like after the beginner and intermediate video series were run through a few times and I had a grasp of the basic flows that the rest of the videos and series - often body part specific or themed - just weren't of that much interest to me. I felt like I just wanted to keep repeating and getting deeper into the basic flows I was internalising. And at that point I stopped really using the site and just started delving into that on my own, doing more research and looking at other teachers' materials. For me the site had a lifespan, I cannot imagine continuing to use it for several years as some users seem to.

Price-wise there are some other Yoga paysites which are also worth a look, and which arguably have bigger libraries and more experienced teacher rosters on offer, for a little less money.

One of the biggest things I took away from yoga in general is this idea of integrating breathing and movement. Hard to explain, and people might think they're doing it already (probably not, though), but found it a bit of a lightbulb moment when I got into it. Seems to be relatively easy with a modern flow style of yoga, I think it's a good match for BJJ.

As far as the guy with the bad shoulder goes: I'm not sure that I'd necessarily rush into yoga or some other means of mobilising it without finding out what's going on first. Without knowing what the underlying cause of the weakness and pain mentioned is, I don't think I'd be rushing to make it really mobile. Could just mean an injury is more likely to occur due to instability.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Agree with all of the above. Saved me some typing.
    Full disclosure, I got a few months free on yoga4bjj, (via a very sound poster here on boards). The instruction is top quality, jiu jitsu specific in regards to guard, passing, recovery, etc. But, huge but, getting flexible is not about comblex yoga flows, it's about simple positions constantly and consistently.

My guard improved most from watching TV sitting in my deepest squat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Mellor, in regards to the squat watching TV....i've been trying this, but i can't get past a certain point, i can just get my hips to be level with my knees.

I also have difficulty bending over and touching my toes, i have crazy tight hammies....anyone have any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭RoboRat

eeloe wrote: »
    Mellor, in regards to the squat watching TV....i've been trying this, but i can't get past a certain point, i can just get my hips to be level with my knees.

I also have difficulty bending over and touching my toes, i have crazy tight hammies....anyone have any tips?

Keep stretching them, gradually you will see them improvement but you have to consistently stretch them.

eeloe wrote: »

Raise you heels two inches on a block of wood or anything solid. Can you squat deeper or better now? If so it's probably your ankle mobility that's an issue. Continue to do squat stretches on a block, and work on ankle stretching directly.

• Advertisement

So Eddie Cummings has left DDS/Renzos and joined Unity. It was rumoured months ago that Eddie was no longer taking Danahers classes. But surprised he actually left the association entirely. Many suspect that Eddie was the brains behind the DDS leglock system - at the very least he was hugely influential and the best leg locker at Renzos.

Huge gain for Unity, which is already an unreal Gym.

So had my MRI last week, results came back.

ITBS Syndrome is the diagnosis, which is weird, considering that would give me pain on the outside of my knee/leg...but all the pain i'm getting is around where my MCL would be.....weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Has anyone here tried to train with a broken finger? Went to a beginners class last night, my gym has started a new programme, during a takedown my fingers got squished between a guys calf and thigh and then I heard something crack in my finger. Had an x-ray today and they told me its broken. It's my index finger on my left hand so it's currently taped to my middle finger. Have to get a custom splint next week.

I'm guessing there's not much I can do seeing my left hand is partially decommissioned? The nurse said it would take about 6 weeks to heal.

Kind of irritated as this was a beginners class, everyone was brand new so thought injury would be less likely. I've been to a few classes before and the last time I went I twisted my knee trying to do a getup and I think I also reaggregated a previous shoulder injury.

Am starting to wonder if it's a sign that I should try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

veganrun wrote:
    Kind of irritated as this was a beginners class, everyone was brand new so thought injury would be less likely. I've been to a few classes before and the last time I went I twisted my knee trying to do a getup and I think I also reaggregated a previous shoulder injury.

Honestly, I think an injury is far more likely when training with beginners. I tend to show up to class anyway if I'm injured, you can still learn by watching the lesson and possibly even more by watching people roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

veganrun wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried to train with a broken finger? Went to a beginners class last night, my gym has started a new programme, during a takedown my fingers got squished between a guys calf and thigh and then I heard something crack in my finger. Had an x-ray today and they told me its broken. It's my index finger on my left hand so it's currently taped to my middle finger. Have to get a custom splint next week.

I'm guessing there's not much I can do seeing my left hand is partially decommissioned? The nurse said it would take about 6 weeks to heal.

Am starting to wonder if it's a sign that I should try something else.

There's a higher chance of you being injured in a beginners class than a higher belt class full of people who know how to execute moves properly.

• Advertisement

You could be right. I just went as I thought it would be good to start off with everyone at the same level, I've only been to a few classes myself.

I thought I broke my toe a while ago. Turns out I snapped the ligament (which is probably worse).
    I took a few days off to ice it, but came back a few days later to training. I just buddy tapped it to the toe beside it. Competed the next weekend.
    Toes are probably a bit easier to keep passive when rolling. You'll probably be instinctively trying to grab stuff with the broken hand. So I'd put in inside your gi jacket or belt and roll with one arm.

Finally got to the clinic yesterday to get this splinted. Seems like I should have been referred last week but wasn't for some reason. They told me its a hairline fracture and a chip. They just put a splint on but it's more like a gun holster shape that has both my index and middle finger and all across my palm and wrapped around my wrist. I thought I would have had just something wrapped around my index finger as that is the only thing broken.

Anyway they said no sports, and to keep this on at all times except for showering and washing my hands. Have to wear this for 2 weeks then go back when apparently they will remove it and give me exercises to do.

The bjj coach suggested just taping my finger up and coming back but I don't think I'm that keen to get back to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Vegan, tbh - it's not life and death. Take the time off to heal and come back when you're fit.

It's really not worth training through any major injuries unless you're aiming to compete in some major international competition, imo.

Two weeks off is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Just go run on a treadmill and work your cardio instead.

Yeah it's grand, just a bit of a nuisance wearing this thing. Will see next week when I can get back to training.

I think part of it is that I have only been to a few classes so haven't achieved much in bjj terms other than walking in the door and the love for it is not there yet.

At the same time I don't really want to give up and want to get promoted. Confusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Yeah it's grand, just a bit of a nuisance wearing this thing. Will see next week when I can get back to training.

I think part of it is that I have only been to a few classes so haven't achieved much in bjj terms other than walking in the door and the love for it is not there yet.

At the same time I don't really want to give up and want to get promoted. Confusing :)

Hey -

Dont worry if you dont love it yet, it would be strange if you did!

Consider loving a guy/girl after only a few dates! bit mad (although sometimes it happens i guess)

In terms of your injury, training through pain and other associated problems would be normal for maybe a zeasoned competitor, but i would never recommend a hobbyist, nor a beginner train in those conditions.

My own brother, who practises jiu jitsu full time, just took three weeks off with a finger injury, it was a minor dislocation - no fracture - but your hands are essential for jiu jitsu - and the whole tucking your hand into your belt thing only causes more problems in my opinion (i also HATE rolling with someone who handicaps themselves like that).

He used the time off to pursue other hobbies and interests, while keeping on top of the physical by lifting weights etc at the gym.

Jiu jitsu isnt going anywhere, dont be afraid to take the time off - no matter how long youve been in the game, if its necessary - its necessary!

good luck with recovery!

Yeah hopefully this will will heal up soon. My coach got in touch today and invited me down to watch the class this evening. We had a really good chat and is made me want to go back. Im not sure how long I will need to take off, I think trying not to lean on the hand etc will be tricky but let's see what they say in terms of training. I will probably go back next week to watch the class again.

I can't really do weights or cycle at the mo but I'm walking a lot so hopefully that will help. I should use this time to clean up my diet a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yeah hopefully this will will heal up soon. My coach got in touch today and invited me down to watch the class this evening. We had a really good chat and is made me want to go back. Im not sure how long I will need to take off, I think trying not to lean on the hand etc will be tricky but let's see what they say in terms of training. I will probably go back next week to watch the class again.

I can't really do weights or cycle at the mo but I'm walking a lot so hopefully that will help. I should use this time to clean up my diet a bit.

Sounds bad enough for me to suggest looking at taking a month off (at least), and if it heals before then that's great.

If you say there was a small fracture?.. Defo a month, or more.

Going to class to watch is always a good idea for two reasons. First you'll still pick up on something no matter how small, and second it ensures you don't lose that time to something or someone else.

Lost time is very difficult to get back, so be selfish with the time you want to give to martial arts.

I don't think it's that bad tbh. They said a hairline fracture and a chip. It's just the way the splint is, my index and middle fingers are inside it even though the index is the one that has the fracture. So I can't use my hand for much as those two fingers are immobilised. I'm supposed to get it off this week all being well, it's 3 weeks tomorrow since I broke it. I will ask them when I can go back to contact sports. At least getting back to lifting weights and cycling would be good.

I don't think it's that bad tbh. They said a hairline fracture and a chip. It's just the way the splint is, my index and middle fingers are inside it even though the index is the one that has the fracture. So I can't use my hand for much as those two fingers are immobilised. I'm supposed to get it off this week all being well, it's 3 weeks tomorrow since I broke it. I will ask them when I can go back to contact sports. At least getting back to lifting weights and cycling would be good.

So my timeline guess is more or less spot on.

If you were more experienced and looking at competing anytime soon there might be a case for strapping it, hoping for the best then planning a rest period after the competition, I've done this a lot (to the detriment to my health if I'm to be honest).

Its really difficult to get it through to beginners that its important to take time out to recover & heal and here's what's difficult to hear, there is such a drop out rate in all styles of martial arts that its simply not worth risking something which will likely give the player bother long after they've moved onto something else.

If you stick it out in a few years these few weeks rest will seem like nothing, hardly a blip on your radar and you'll be taking time off like this more and more the older and more experienced you become.

Its frustrating being injured, I know it and I also know that this won't be the last or the worst injury you'll suffer in the game.

• Advertisement

Haha I was hoping I wouldn't get a worse injury than this!

If you don't have at least one niggly injury at any given time, then you're not training ha ha.

You'll find the weeks when you're not injured are the rare ones.

If you don't have at least one niggly injury at any given time, then you're not training ha ha.

So true, it had to be said twice.

Making sure the message got across :D

Tazzimus wrote: »

Damn, how are you all training?.

I didn't pick up significant injuries until my late 37's.. More or less the same injuries but longer recovery in my 40's and now at 52 when I'm injured I train more BJJ than Judo to recover.

Uninjured I split my training 70/30 in favor of Judo over BJJ.. Injured, I drop the Judo.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

It depends what you consider an injury. A niggly toe you strained in a scramble? Some people say injured, some people not.
    A hyper extended elbow from tapping too slowly on armbar, slight loss or ROM? Injured or not?

If you're completely mental like the guy I first trained under, a dislocated shoulder? pfft Walk it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭sonic85

Hows it going lads? I started BJJ about  a month or so ago and I'm enjoying it but I'm getting very frustrated with an issue I'm having.

Before I started I hadn't done any kind of sport and very little in the way of exercise for the previous 5 or 6 years and I'm struggling with rolling. Basically after the first one I am fcuked! I have very little left in the tank and all strength is gone from my arms. I'm getting a bit down over it to be honest because I'm the only one in the class that has to sit out every second roll to try recover.

Can anybody give me any advice? Thanks!

sonic85 wrote: »
    Hows it going lads? I started BJJ about  a month or so ago and I'm enjoying it but I'm getting very frustrated with an issue I'm having.

Before I started I hadn't done any kind of sport and very little in the way of exercise for the previous 5 or 6 years and I'm struggling with rolling. Basically after the first one I am fcuked! I have very little left in the tank and all strength is gone from my arms. I'm getting a bit down over it to be honest because I'm the only one in the class that has to sit out every second roll to try recover.

I was the exact same as you when I started buddy, your stamina will come.

What I found helped was to have one round of rolling and one round of drilling. This really helped me because the drilling round wasn’t 100%, but it kept the heart rate up and let my body adjust to being under pressure while also recovering.

The plus side to this, people don’t drill enough anyway, it’s just learn a technique for 45-60 mins, and then try and kill each other for an hour. Drilling will improve your game so much!

• Advertisement

sonic85 wrote: »

Go slower, and lighter.
    while cardio and fitness is a factor, it's almost a certainty that you are going too hard and using too much energy in the first roll.
    It's normal to not know what you are doing. But doing it harder

Advertisement