Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

3 hour seminar with John Danaher tonight.
    A lot to take in, will need a sleep to properly digest it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

Mellor wrote: »

You lucky.............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you still have two working legs?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Do you still have two working legs?

Was actually focused on escapes, not leg locks specifically. I've done leg locks with him before though.
    Due to his approach to defence, each escape finished with a sub, so there was still some nice heel hook entries. But two triangles set ups where the highlight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

So I have done enough to earn a grading in BJJ.

Great huh? The catch is a 60 euro equivalent fee for the belt and another 60 euro if I want a certificate.

I so far opted for the belt only but the award has not been made yet.

The above are Euro equivalents. I am not in Ireland so no need to name the academy.

I am wondering how boardies see this. A case of money grab or a way of supporting a club/instructor?

• Advertisement

creeper1 wrote: »
    So I have done enough to earn a grading in BJJ.

Great huh? The catch is a 60 euro equivalent fee for the belt and another 60 euro if I want a certificate.

I so far opted for the belt only but the award has not been made yet.

The above are Euro equivalents. I am not in Ireland so no need to name the academy.

I am wondering how boardies see this. A case of money grab or a way of supporting a club/instructor?
    I would have thought your membership fee was doing that.

Sounds like a money grab.

I'm in SBG and while it's pricey, there's no cost for attending a grading or the belt etc.

Grading fees are rarely justified imo.
    Is that to sit the grading, or only if you pass.
    The certificate fee is just bonkers. It costs about 20c, it represents your achievement but it's inherently worthless in itself. How do they try justify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

He has a date in mind in December so presumably it will involve a gathering or maybe demonstration of some techniques. I have no idea.

No attempt was made at justification. Just “these are the prices. Do you want a belt alone or plus certificate?”

I suspect they maybe charged 120 euros in the past and then broke up the price when people balked but really I have no way of knowing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Where's the school? Is the price of everything high where you are? I think if aggressive pricing was the norm and across the board (for example, New York) then I wouldn't be as concerned.

Are your membership fees high or low, is there a chance they are charging for gradings to offset low membership fees?

Is the instructor legit, and are you otherwise happy with his tuition?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

That's madness, i'd find another club if i was you, this guy is treating it as an extra money push before christmas no doubt.

Any gradings/promotions i've attended in the last while since i started, the lads were just handed their belts as a surprise....none were asked for money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Two chances would I pay for me grading. Fuck that.

Moving on from paying for gradings.

Having a discussion with someone last night at the gym, comparing our niggles and injuries. and we got on to stretching, and with the weather turning cold....

We both have dodgy knees, and both have relatively new tendinitis, and he mentioned that he thinks it's actually better to get warm first with some basic movements, shrimps, shoulder rolls and so on, then drill and roll, and then stretch afterwards.

I usually like to try and get over 20-25 mins before class starts and do as much stretching as possible, but no matter how much i stretch, i still feel as stiff as a poker until i actually get warm.

The whole point of this post tho is to ask opinions, Stretching, BEFORE, or AFTER class?

eeloe wrote: »
    Moving on from paying for gradings.

Having a discussion with someone last night at the gym, comparing our niggles and injuries. and we got on to stretching, and with the weather turning cold....

We both have dodgy knees, and both have relatively new tendinitis, and he mentioned that he thinks it's actually better to get warm first with some basic movements, shrimps, shoulder rolls and so on, then drill and roll, and then stretch afterwards.

I usually like to try and get over 20-25 mins before class starts and do as much stretching as possible, but no matter how much i stretch, i still feel as stiff as a poker until i actually get warm.

The whole point of this post tho is to ask opinions, Stretching, BEFORE, or AFTER class?
    I was always of the opinion that static stretching can do more damage beforehand.

Mobility warm up (shrimping etc) then stretch after the class to alleviate some of the stiffness/fight off muscle knotting.

I was always of the opinion that static stretching can do more damage beforehand.

It causes a short term dip in maximum strength. But I don't think there's an damage or injury risk. It's a not great before heavy lifting due to that dip, but shouldn't be an issue before jiu jitsu.

That said a dynamic warm up would be better at loosening you up. Static stretch afterwards or on a different day altogether.

Gonna give tomorrow a blast with just 20 mins of movements and see how I go.

I could use this time to work on some inverting drills, get the back warmed up and basically not suck at inverting!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

A warm-up, for the purpose of preventing injury, needs mainly to elevate body temperature and probably should mimic to some extent the movement patterns to be used in the workout. For BJJ I think it's reasonable to consider that some form of generic dynamic warm-up with BJJ specific movements incorporated is fine. As a rule of thumb a light sweat is probably the place to cut it off, although what's going to get a trainee to that point would seem to potentially be pretty varied.

As someone mentioned, the evidence is that a protracted period of static stretching inhibits performance (probably a moot point for the average BJJ trainee, it must be said... Would be more relevant to a weightlifter trying to set a new one rep max lift, for example). But the main problem with doing that pre-training is that it's not going to raise your body temperature so is actually probably less effective from an injury prevention point of view than running in circles or doing another generic callisthenic movement like jumping jacks, mountain climbers etc.

The other thing that's always worth saying is that a very long, intense warm-up that fatigues you a fair bit is no longer a warm up, it's now a short conditioning workout. I think that's fine if what is intended, but to me it's neither fish nor fowl... Overkill for warming up and probably not the time to try to incorporate proper conditioning into someone's training... It'd be easier to plan and monitor progress done separately. I'd just rather spend that mat time on something BJJ specific only.

Cane across this podcast on The Irish BJJ group on Facebook (also Reddit). Well worth 90mins imo.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1
    419240074963839/permalink/2350272561860581

https://www.soundcloud.com/thousandholds
    If you've ever been curious about some of the other grappling styles out there, you might find this interesting. I was initially inspired to start this podcast when I was in the middle of building this map of folk-wrestling styles and realised that I knew absolutely ****-all about the Irish style on there. A few months of research later, and I finally released the first episode yesterday. Currently just on Soundcloud, but will up on iTunes in the next day or two for anyone who prefers to listen that way.
    I have plans for future episodes on other styles from around the world as well, but I want to do each one justice and put some proper research in, so I definitely won't be banging out episodes every week or so - probably more like every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭cletus

Just saw the paying for grading thing. It's ubiquitous in "traditional" martial arts, but I'd not heard of it in bjj. Have things changed?

When I graded, it was at a Rodrigo Medeiros seminar organised by the club (a bjj revolution affiliate) at the end of the seminar, a number if us we're called up, given our belts, and then thrown on our heads. We weren't even really aware that we were being graded

Anyone else suffer injuries to the backs of their ears? ended up in A&E last night till poxy 4am. Second time this has happened since i started, but opposite ears, first time Caredoc just cleaned it and stuck a bit of glue on it, this time Caredoc wouldn't touch it because he said it needed proper stitches, and i'm taking a medication for psoriasis, and as soon as i mentioned that he didn't want to know.

Was having the best nights training i've had in MONTHS, first roll i had one of my best friends tapped me about 4 times in 3 minutes, other rolls then i was actually progressing a being able to put down the pressure like i could before i got the knee injury. so i was happy that i was getting back to where i was, a few months ago.

The the last roll, i was caught in kind of a weird Kimura but i was able to roll out of it, what ever happened as i was rolling out of it, my right ear got pressed against his left hip and what ever way we both moved, the Tatami embroidery basically tore the back of the ear off me...sliced from top to bottom.

Ended up sitting in A&E for 4 hours before being seen, Triage nurse confirmed it needed stitches, then the doctor said it was too late to stitch it and just glued it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Get a scrum cap or a wrestling ear guard. Some people are more prone to ear problems than others. I have never had an issue but some of the lads I roll with keep getting cauliflower ears. Its a worthwhile investment and they don't cost a lot.

• Advertisement

might have to pick something up.

Can't roll till the glue comes off for fear of opening the wound again.

I tried on a gi jacket last night at home and moved around a bit, and the lapel kinda pushed up in to the ear and it was nasty.

Hopefully class tonight won't actually require a gi jacket and i can still drill the techniques, otherwise i'll be sitting out!

Why are our bodies so breakable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

I started wearing a scrum cap recently. It's hot and sweaty but doesn't annoy me much. I think I'll get a different one though because the strap is a bit rough and cuts into my neck leaving a nasty red line the next day.

Nicky Ryan is ridiculously good. His still only 17. Technically a purple belt, will be a beat by 20 imo.

How long has Nicky been grappling? He's brilliant.

Edit: I found this link https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/rise-ryans-nicky-ryans-first-invitational-match/ which mentions he's been with Danaher since December 2014... that is incredible if he's performing that good after only 4 years of jiujitsu :O

Love him or hate him, Danaher is surely the best jiujitsu coach in the world?

He’s certainly a good coach, but the like of Nicky are rare, super rare. To excell that much in any sport.....

He’s certainly a good coach, but the like of Nicky are rare, super rare. To excell that much in any sport.....

That is true - but with Gordon, Tonon and Crelinsten now fighting out of the "blue basement" and being incredibly successful in competition it can surely be attributed to the level of day-to-day coaching they're all receiving.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    That is true - but with Gordon, Tonon and Crelinsten now fighting out of the "blue basement" and being incredibly successful in competition it can surely be attributed to the level of day-to-day coaching they're all receiving.

It's certainly saying something that everyone from the same gym is literally cleaning up.

Has anyone watched any of his Enter the System DVD's?

He's super rare. I'm not sure that's down to being a genetic freak or anything though.
    If mainly because he has put in an insane about of hours with elite coaching and partners.

If anyone did that over the last 4 years. They might be Nicky Ryan good, but they'd still be pretty damn good.
    Has anyone watched any of his Enter the System DVD's?

I haven't. But the consensus is that they are good, but also very expensive.
    There are probably better sets you could by forbthe money depending on what you want to study.

Seen something pop up on bookface that Roddy is competing at Grapple Kings

• Advertisement

Seen something pop up on bookface that Roddy is competing at Grapple Kings

Yeah I seen that. Against some Polish guy, whose name I didn't recognise.

Advertisement