Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Mince Pie wrote: »
    How is that different to the current system except its less hassle in its current format.

I'm not advocating for one of the other. However, were they to run a lottery then it's less prejudicial to those with slower computers/bad servers/in an area with poor broadband. Say 800,000 apply, computer picks out 150,000 (or 75,000 to allow people to take along a registered pal). Arguably makes it more democratic.
    See my above post, my mate got a ticket while out fishing in a river etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Mince Pie wrote: »
    See my above post, my mate got a ticket while out fishing in a river etc etc.

Yep, I get that. I also think it's utterly random. We were very organised yesterday but no luck. And no complaints from any of us. It's worked out in the past and hopefully will again in the future.

To give a perception of utter fairness though it's hard to argue against a lottery. People can't blame any problems with servers, systems, broadband, etc. Just numbers coming out of a hat. Downside is not being able to go with a crowd of pals.

Whatever way they do it will annoy some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It doesn't pit potential purchasers against each other at the mercy of See Tickets dodgy servers and who has the best bandwidth, number of devices etc to get round the vagaries of the site.

Being left in a holding pattern I dont have a problem with and if I'm out of luck in the queue then fine but not being able to access the site at all, and then others about to hit the pay button being crashed out is inequitable.
    Not being able to access the site is simply being part of another form of queue. From what I can tell getting onto the site in the first place isn't random (I believe they use some queueing tool on a load balancer that ensures that traffic is evenly distributed amongst their servers, no idea how crude it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Broadband speed has nothing to do with it. Its a text only website on TDay. 1Mbps would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Beans_On

anyone have any info on collecting camping gear (air matrress etc) from the the Site itself.
    or even better, is there any operation where you can collecting cans down there? (at closer to off licence prices rather than bar prices)

getting ahead of myself but would be interested as weighing up pros and cons of driving v flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Beans_On wrote: »
    anyone have any info on collecting camping gear (air matrress etc) from the the Site itself.
    You could glamp with the likes of Worthy View / Tangerine Fields etc and have all that setup for you in advance, at a premium obviously.
    or even better, is there any operation where you can collecting cans down there? (at closer to off licence prices rather than bar prices)
    Don't recall anywhere selling cans on site.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

getting ahead of myself but would be interested as weighing up pros and cons of driving v flight

There are plenty of camping supplies stalls around the site where you'll be able to buy everything you could need from the airbed to the tent and a seat to sit on. Getting hold of wellies after the second day or so of mud might be trickier though.

You won't be able to buy any cans on site, although there will be plenty of people wandering around the main stages among the crowds selling individual cans they have carted in, and loads of vodka jellies. If flying then people usually get the taxi driver to stop off at an off license on the way to the site to stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

3hour ferry from dublin then a 5 hour drive to Glastonbury before you hit the traffic. It will be be some slog on the way home

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

44 of the 68 in our groups got tickets. 1 of the groups got bus tickets and tried again for others on Sunday. Of my group of 5, 2 of us were lying in a heap in Spain,one was travelling and the wife forgot all about it. Look forward to seeing you all on the farm lol.

Yeah. The Cosy Camper take pre orders and have your order ready for collection when you get there. I do it every year. Airbed, pillows, sleeping bags etc.

Open for orders now.

https://www.cosycamper.co.uk/?post_type=festival&p=23

Driving for the sake of a few warm cans is madness by the way. Bring money, its lighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

If you're going on ferry take Stena line, book it as a hotel break rather than a simple ferry crossing, it usually work sout cheaper and you'll get a free night in hotel in Wales or wherever either on way there or back.

Just book it as a one night stay then you can adjust your return sailing day to suit. I've done it many times and it always works out cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah. The Cosy Camper take pre orders and have your order ready for collection when you get there. I do it every year. Airbed, pillows, sleeping bags etc.

Open for orders now.

Driving for the sake of a few warm cans is madness by the way. Bring money, its lighter.

This is tempting... id only have to bring the tent then.

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is tempting... id only have to bring the tent then.

I bring a tent, socks and boxers for 5 days, 3 tshirts, 1 pair of shorts, a jumper and toiletries. Thats it. Pick up a box of wine in a supermarket en route.

People bring way too much stuff with them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Pick up a box of wine in a supermarket en route.

Then once you've polished off the wine on day one, blow air back into the bag and you have yourself a nice pillow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Open for orders now.

Do you bin all that kit annually? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭Alkers

Chelon wrote:
    If you're going on ferry take Stena line, book it as a hotel break rather than a simple ferry crossing, it usually work sout cheaper and you'll get a free night in hotel in Wales or wherever either on way there or back.

Could you expand on this?

We're taking small campervan over from Dublin, planning rosslare to fishgaurd currently. Happy out getting there but worried about planning for traffic on the way home - thinking Tuesday ferry home with an overnight somewhere

Wooderson wrote: »
    Do you bin all that kit annually? :confused:
    You can drop it back to them.

Basq wrote: »

Yup they take it all back.

If I can't be arsed I just lob in in the stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Flights are pretty cheap right now for anyone flying to Bristol. I think we’re going to fly Tuesday evening and get an early bus to the fest on Wednesday.

:(

Love the farm, leave no trace.

• Advertisement

^ Pretty sure that was sarcasm tbf..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Basq wrote: »

Yup they take it all back.

Is that before or after pissing in it? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Emily did a Q&A last night,

robbed from efestivals:
    - The headliners WON'T be: Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin or Madonna!
    - There will be an added area in the South East corner.
    - They are looking at spreading the after midnight crowd by making Silver Hayes and The Park run later.
    - No plastic ban enforced but efforts to reduce plastic sold on-site. More water stations will be built too.
    - 1.5 million people applied for tickets this year
    - They are looking into a part-ballot for next year

...and she mentioned deck chairs! Blamed Tesco and the like for selling them so cheap. Said they are all piled up at the end of the festival and she hates them!”

Are the loop going to be on site next year ?
    -we have been working hard to get a drug testing facility at the festival and are trying to get them onsite next year

Are there still plans for an alternative festival such as the one talked about elsewhere
    -They have no plans currently to be running an alternative ... Glastonbury keeps them busy enough

What infrastructure changes can we expect to see in terms of changes from 2017-2019 ?
    -There will be a new area in the south east corner to help alleviate some of the pressure from the overcrowding when the headliners finish , there will also be improvements to the park Arcadia and Silver Hayes to help with this too

Do you believe lots more people were trying this year ?
    -there were 1.5 million attempts to buy tickets

Is she happy with the way See Tickets handled the sale on sunday ?
    -The ticket sale was limited initially with max hits upto the 12 minute mark , when it eased off and then demand slowly built again ... they have been talking to see about improvements to the payment part of the site and the crashing should not have happened and they will learn from this

Anyway that was my questions ....other bits and pieces were her fav act was Bowie and Led Zeppelin her ultimate act ......plastic bottle ban would be for traders only but she likened it for punters to the festival requests for nos and lanterns and that they would appeal to festival goers to help in doing this with lots more water points provided ..... she had had many requests for sponsorship but they weren't interested in any more .... and a book to look forward to on the 50th anniversary

oh and just another one .... It doesn't look like camplight will be there ... they have there own alternative accommodation in Worthy view

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

...and she mentioned deck chairs! Blamed Tesco and the like for selling them so cheap. Said they are all piled up at the end of the festival and she hates them!”

Whatever about Deck Chairs, I didn't notice an increase in them last time, it was those f*cking huge inflatable bean-bag type things. They were f*cking EVERYWHERE last time. Taking up the space of at least 3 camping chairs. And then the ignorant sods complaining about not being able to see past people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

If I had got a ticket I would be well annoyed by the lack of Camplight (festival's decision not theirs). They were very handy for flying over without a tent, much cheaper than the alternatives and better situated... used them the last two times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Madonna for the 50th so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

"part-ballot for next year"? Has Emily been following the thread? Hi Emily!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

S.M.B. wrote: »
    "part-ballot for next year"? Has Emily been following the thread? Hi Emily!!!

How wud that work, most want to go to Glastonbury with friends. Maybe if they linked applications and each joint application whether its for 2 or 6 ppl gets one ball in the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Toast wrote: »
    If I had got a ticket I would be well annoyed by the lack of Camplight (festival's decision not theirs). They were very handy for flying over without a tent, much cheaper than the alternatives and better situated... used them the last two times.

Same..we did get tickets on sunday and had planned to book camplight for 2019..it saved us last year arriving in on the bus at 2 on that scorching hot wednesday..probably would have passed out in that heat if we had to pitch a tent..will be badly missed. Seemingly Worthy View and other offsite camping companies felt it was unfair they were inside the fence :(

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    How wud that work

I don't think it will. Probably just chucking it in there to calm down the negativity for people not getting tickets this year.

Not getting tickets after a fallow year is a pain in the arse to be fair. Means no Glasto for at least 3 years.

Advertisement