Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

MadYaker wrote: »

"The Bottom Line"??? She sounds like Thatcher in the 80s. What a daft hypocritical tw@t.

Have a special sale/allotment for long time registrations with no purchase attached to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,348 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

robinph wrote: »
    It is majorly oversubscribed of course, but I'm not sure I belive that 1 million number were actually trying for tickets. I'd have counted as 4 people trying this morning via completely different network connections. And also it would mean that over 10% of the UK population is all trying and that is clearly nonsense.

UK population is just under 66 million. Add in the Irish population and that's 71.5 million. Were a million people online trying for tickets this morning then that's far from 10% of the combined populations and closer to 1.4%. Believable I reckon. I personally know seventeen people who had no luck today, far less successful than in any recent year.

"The Bottom Line"??? She sounds like Thatcher in the 80s. What a daft hypocritical tw@t.

Have a special sale/allotment for long time registrations with no purchase attached to them.

Harsh. And utterly unjustified. Rein in the bile.

The Eavises have cut out touts and have a system where everybody has an equal chace of securing tickets. I didn't succeed today but I don't mind. I hope that those who did have a great time there and I'll get back to Glasto sometime in the future.

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Harsh. And utterly unjustified. Rein in the bile.

The Eavises have cut out touts and have a system where everybody has an equal chace of securing tickets. I didn't succeed today but I don't mind. I hope that those who did have a great time there and I'll get back to Glasto sometime in the future.

Disagree completely. She was called out on a lousy booking system, quaked in her knickers and responded with an arrogant "let them eat cake" retort.

I have no doubt that there's magic in dem dere fields, which is the attraction, but there's nothing in terms of actual acts (including headliners) that can't be seen down the road every month or two.

Disagree completely. She was called out on a lousy booking system, quaked in her knickers and responded with an arrogant "let them eat cake" retort.

I have no doubt that there's magic in dem dere fields, which is the attraction, but there's nothing in terms of actual acts (including headliners) that can't be seen down the road every month or two.

Glad I didn't give her my fifty quid now.

She simply explained that there were two million people registered trying to get tickets and hence many people missed out. The booking system is egalitarian and works sufficiently well. Unnecessarily calling her a tw@t for this is at best churlish.

• Advertisement

She simply explained that there were two million people registered trying to get tickets and hence many people missed out. The booking system is egalitarian and works sufficiently well. Unnecessarily calling her a tw@t for this is at best churlish.

It's not. She addressed a potentially loyal crowd with the puritanical "the bottom line". Totally inappropriate and counter intuitive.

She was challenged on a sh1t booking procedure and impetuously reacted badly to the criticism. If she's not going to think beyond money and acknowledge those who want to give her the cash but don't get the opportunity then you wonder does she deserve it in the first place.

I'd like to go to Glasto but truthfully I think I'm a victim of FOMO more than anything else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is majorly oversubscribed of course, but I'm not sure I belive that 1 million number were actually trying for tickets. I'd have counted as 4 people trying this morning via completely different network connections. And also it would mean that over 10% of the UK population is all trying and that is clearly nonsense.

UK population is just under 66 million. Add in the Irish population and that's 71.5 million. Were a million people online trying for tickets this morning then that's far from 10% of the combined populations and closer to 1.4%. Believable I reckon. I personally know seventeen people who had no luck today, far less successful than in any recent year.
    Knew I'd screw up the decimal place, it's still way too big a number though. Yes loads of the people we know are registered, but that's because we hang out with people who are interested in Glastonbury.

It might possibly be about 1% of the population that have been to Glastonbury where I live, but that is in the biggest city closest to the site and its far more of a thing here than anywhere else. Not a chance those 2 million registrations are unique people or that half of them were trying for tickets yesterday. I could belive a multiple of 2 or 3 times the number of tickets for people trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I see nothing wrong with that tweet whatsoever, all she is saying is when demand > supply people are going to be left unhappy. As I said earlier, I'm just glad these tickets can't find their way onto the second hand market as usually when demand > supply a bunch of leeches can make a lot of money.

Also, I would say the 2 million refers to registrations capable of getting tickets. A lot of those will be people who had no interest in going this year and made zero attempt.

I think the 1 in 10 chance sounds about right so if you do coach, main sale and resale you are down to close to 1/3. Then make sure you are in a group of more than 3 and you have a odds on chance of getting your hands on tickets for the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

no, everyone has the same chance with the current system.

your sour-grapes whinging is hilarious and pathetic at this stage. get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats wrong with the booking system? Everyone has the same chance to get tickets. As it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 yannanevotna

Ahhhhh!
    6 of us gave this one a real shot ! Averaging 4 devices / person across 3g/4g/vpn/wi-fi. 1 in Norwich, 1 in Liverpool, one in the South and 3 in the North. 2 of the party headed into work yesterday morning to use their dedicated lease lines. 4 of us got the holding page, personally I had it on 5 devices for 95% of the 35 minutes, f5ing continuously but less than the 60 / sec suggested on efests website. 
    Absolutely gutted yesterday tbh. But will give the resale a rattle. We put a small deposit down on a Bristol campervan which is fully refundable if unsuccessful in both main and resale. Maybe this was tempting fate, who knows? One of the group in Belfast knows 1 person who got a ticket, none of the rest of us know any . There will obviously be a huge number in for the resale. Not much can be done now, so batten down the hatches for the next 7 odd months.
    People will be disappointed, but its as fair a system as there is out there...could you imagine the touts getting their greasy mits on batches of tix and how much they'd fleece folk for? 
    Congrats to those who were successful, jammy gits !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It's not. She addressed a potentially loyal crowd with the puritanical "the bottom line". Totally inappropriate and counter intuitive.

She was challenged on a sh1t booking procedure and impetuously reacted badly to the criticism. If she's not going to think beyond money and acknowledge those who want to give her the cash but don't get the opportunity then you wonder does she deserve it in the first place.

I'd like to go to Glasto but truthfully I think I'm a victim of FOMO more than anything else.

Everyone who genuinely puts in the effort and tries to get tickets is "Loyal". You think people who get tickets regularly are just getting the tickets out of habit? Everyone who tried really wants to go.

So do they parcel off 1/4 or 1/5 of the tickets for people who have registered but never gotten tickets? Have a separate system just for them? And what of the people in that group don't get them? Do you include them in a smaller group next year. Do you have any idea what that would cost to implement?

They have done their utmost to make it as fair as possible: Deposit system, Pre-registration and photo. All designed to make it so only genuine fans get to go. I think their system should be praised. The only gripe is that there should be a way of transferring tickets to pre-identified friends if people can't attend but that's a minor point.

There have been years where I have tried and didn't get tickets. That's just life. Plain and simple.

As for her tweet: I can't see anything wrong with the wording or tone. The bottom line is that there are only so many tickets/ so much space. They don't want to go down the Ticketb*stard mode of charging extra for "premium" tickets/priority as this would gut the very nature of Glastonbury.

I know people are mad that they didn't get tickets but let's not throw the toys out of the pram. I mean good luck in April during the resale (It is[/] possible to get tickets then. I have twice) but do bear in mind that EVERYONE is a loyal supporter. Not just the ones who couldn't get tickets.

Plus, you think it's bad this year? Gonna be a slaughter in 2020 for 50th anniversary

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Plus, you think it's bad this year? Gonna be a slaughter in 2020 for 50th anniversary

I was wondering why I was seeing people suggesting 2020 would be harder, usually the toughest years are the ones after a fallow year, and the easiest are directly after a mudfest.

I should definitely get priority tickets for the 50th anniversary seeing as my first was the 25th anniversary. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd say the "hype train" will be in full effect for the 50th, even more so than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The mud in16 didn’t make tickets any easier to get for 17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Basq wrote: »
    I'd say the "hype train" will be in full effect for the 50th, even more so than usual.
    According to efests etc, Bowie, Prince, Queen, Nirvana and Beatles all confirmed. And Oasis reunion.

..... And I'll believe the Oasis reunion when I see it

Here again are the words she used:

There are 2 million people registered, so demand far outweighs supply. Unfortunately that is the bottom line. We all work together to try and make it as fast and fair as possible. Good luck in April and thanks for your reasoning

Doesn't sound at all arrogant to me. And nothing wrong with the system. The demand is just too high. There are far worthier objects for your anger than someone who puts a lot of effort into setting up a great festival.

Knew I'd screw up the decimal place, it's still way too big a number though. Yes loads of the people we know are registered, but that's because we hang out with people who are interested in Glastonbury.

It might possibly be about 1% of the population that have been to Glastonbury where I live, but that is in the biggest city closest to the site and its far more of a thing here than anywhere else. Not a chance those 2 million registrations are unique people or that half of them were trying for tickets yesterday. I could belive a multiple of 2 or 3 times the number of tickets for people trying.

In my crowd approximately one in three/four of the people usually get tickets so that could give a rough idea of the numbers trying. Yesterday was none in seventeen. Impossible to get the true figures but I'd guess a bit more than 2/3 times the tickets available.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

In my crowd approximately one in three/four of the people usually get tickets so that could give a rough idea of the numbers trying. Yesterday was none in seventeen. Impossible to get the true figures but I'd guess a bit more than 2/3 times the tickets available.

Seemed to be 1 in 10 ish yesterday. Only 3 of us from our wider group of 25+ ish got in and that was pretty successful.

That's just a guess at the ratio of people who you know who were trying or were unsuccessful at getting tickets. Yes there is loads of people vocal on social media about how they haven't got tickets at the moment, but that is really just a tiny number shouting very loudly. 1 million is a massive number and whilst I can believe there have been approaching 2 million registrations carried out on the Glastonbury system, a large number of those are going to be duplicates because they forgot their number, duplicates because people used a different email, duplicates for a new hair do or a registration for their cat.

Glastonbury and See Tickets could clean that data up and come up with a number of genuine people registered on their system and eligible to purchase tickets, but they cannot make any valid claim on how many actual people were attempting to buy tickets. The only information they have is that their server was overloaded.

They don't know by who or how many of those were the same person trying from multiple devices and IP addresses. Anyone who had a mobile phone and PC would have counted as two, a small bit of extra trickery and I was making attempts from 4 different internet connections and 6 different browser sessions. Until they take your registration numbers though they don't know anything about the numbers trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with that tweet whatsoever, all she is saying is when demand > supply people are going to be left unhappy. As I said earlier, I'm just glad these tickets can't find their way onto the second hand market as usually when demand > supply a bunch of leeches can make a lot of money.

Also, I would say the 2 million refers to registrations capable of getting tickets. A lot of those will be people who had no interest in going this year and made zero attempt.

I think the 1 in 10 chance sounds about right so if you do coach, main sale and resale you are down to close to 1/3. Then make sure you are in a group of more than 3 and you have a odds on chance of getting your hands on tickets for the festival.

I can't see anything wrong with her tweet either, but re your last paragraph; I'm no expert on statistics, but that would work if no one else was doing the same, but we know that most are. There's only so many tickets available, so people buying in groups etc are kind of cutting their own throats in a way.

"People are scramblin', like dogs for a share"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

A friend asked me the "how would you do it better?" question. Have a week where people can submitted their orders. Same system, same booking page, same 6 person per booking limit... but it goes into a queue and then at a set time the tickets are randomly distributed across the orders in the queue.

No 9am Sunday rush
    No operating system,browser, voodoo being blamed for timeouts etc.

You can obviously cancel your order up to the the moment of the allocation. If you are allocated you pay the deposit as normal.

The only downside I could imagine was there'd be issues with holding payment on file or similar contract law stuff that might need to be ironed out but even if people allocated had 24hrs to put in payment after allocation it could be made work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Toast wrote:
    A friend asked me the "how would you do it better?" question. Have a week where people can submitted their orders. Same system, same booking page, same 6 person per booking limit... but it goes into a queue and then at a set time the tickets are randomly distributed across the orders in the queue.

And what does this really solve? People who missed out will still moan!
    Our extended group managed I think 24 tickets while trying for 30, know another large group who got none.
    One guy managed to get most of them, whether that was down to luck, technique, strategy or what I have no idea

That's just a guess at the ratio of people who you know who were trying or were unsuccessful at getting tickets. Yes there is loads of people vocal on social media about how they haven't got tickets at the moment, but that is really just a tiny number shouting very loudly. 1 million is a massive number and whilst I can believe there have been approaching 2 million registrations carried out on the Glastonbury system, a large number of those are going to be duplicates because they forgot their number, duplicates because people used a different email, duplicates for a new hair do or a registration for their cat.

Glastonbury and See Tickets could clean that data up and come up with a number of genuine people registered on their system and eligible to purchase tickets, but they cannot make any valid claim on how many actual people were attempting to buy tickets. The only information they have is that their server was overloaded.

They don't know by who or how many of those were the same person trying from multiple devices and IP addresses. Anyone who had a mobile phone and PC would have counted as two, a small bit of extra trickery and I was making attempts from 4 different internet connections and 6 different browser sessions. Until they take your registration numbers though they don't know anything about the numbers trying.

2 million registered, not wild guesswork to say that half of those tried yesterday. Of the 40/45 people I know who are registered (none with a second registration, what's the point of that with the anti-touting measures in place?) at least 17 tried yesterday. There are almost 72 million people in the UK and Ireland (I've not counted people registered from mainland Europe & further afield) and It's not a huge stretch to have one in 72/1.4% of the population trying yesterday. Over 4% of the UK population applied to get tickets for Oasis at Knebworth. And Glasto is surely better than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Wooderson

If yer desperate to go, give Oxfam or Workers Beer a shout.

2 million registered, not wild guesswork to say that half of those tried yesterday. Of the 40/45 people I know who are registered (none with a second registration) at least 17 tried yesterday. There are almost 72 million people in the UK and Ireland (I've not counted people registered from mainland Europe & further afield).

It's not a huge stretch to have one in 72/1.4% of the population trying yesterday. Over 4% of the UK population applied to get tickets for Oasis at Knebworth. And Glasto is surely better than that!

It is a massive stretch to claim those numbers. You have to discount anyone under the age of 12, who doesn't need a ticket and isn't counted in the attendance numbers, take out another massive chunk of the population under 18 who whilst they want to go don't have the buying power to do so, then take out people over the age of 50 who whilst they do go in much bigger numbers to Glastonbury there is nothing like any statistically significant %'age of their population going. Then you are probably left with a population of about 25 million who could go if they were interested and that is where that 1 million number of people has to come out of.

Glastonbury is far more accessible to my peer group of local friends and acquaintances than most other parts of the country, and if you go to Glastonbury then you are far more likely to know other people who go to Glastonbury, but it's still not close to 1 in 25 of the people I know of who would have been trying.

Where did that 4% of the population trying for tickets to Knebworth come from? I don't recall that being a question on the census. So the only place that number is pulled from is 4 million IP addresses hitting their server at once, so again means less than nothing when trying to relate that to the actual population.

Chelon wrote: »
    I can't see anything wrong with her tweet either, but re your last paragraph; I'm no expert on statistics, but that would work if no one else was doing the same, but we know that most are. There's only so many tickets available, so people buying in groups etc are kind of cutting their own throats in a way.

"People are scramblin', like dogs for a share"
    You are right. I knew as I was typing it out that it didn't quite add up. But trying for coach, main sale and resale will definitely increase chances. And I believe the group system works because I find when someone can get in and buy 6 tickets it is often very easy for them to go in and buy again and again. Am I right in thinking this year you could not use the same card to purchase a second batch of 6?

Also, 2019 demand must be high given last years fallow year and 2020 will be even worse. I'm in the 'didn't apply for 2019 but will for 2020' camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Simona1986 wrote: »
    And what does this really solve? People who missed out will still moan!
    Our extended group managed I think 24 tickets while trying for 30, know another large group who got none.
    One guy managed to get most of them, whether that was down to luck, technique, strategy or what I have no idea

It stops people blaming their failure on the overloaded system. There's a big difference between knowing you've your name in the hat for a draw rather than being stuck refreshing an unresponsive website which becomes fuel for conspiracy theories. It puts everyone on an even footing regards chance and I believe that will make people feel somewhat better if they miss out (there will always be moaners but they shouldn't factor into anything).

The only reason I can imagine people would want the existing method to remain over my suggestion is because they believe that the 9am Sunday sale somehow acts as a filter for the fair-weather fans (It really doesn't) or if they've some method of gaming the system as it stands (I doubt any exist any more that aren't pure superstition from a technical point of view).

That systems is more in line with what I've had to do for 2012 Olympics and 2015 Rugby World Cup and have to admit I'd have no problem if they did that. Although I do think that I would lose an edge from being part of a large group as I've mentioned in my previous post but maybe I'm imagining that edge.

• Advertisement

no, everyone has the same chance with the current system.

your sour-grapes whinging is hilarious and pathetic at this stage. get a grip.

I've noticed a pattern of you being rude to me in general here on Gigs and Events across a number of threads.

I've never been rude to you, give it a rest please.

Advertisement