Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Same..we did get tickets on sunday and had planned to book camplight for 2019..it saved us last year arriving in on the bus at 2 on that scorching hot wednesday..probably would have passed out in that heat if we had to pitch a tent..will be badly missed. Seemingly Worthy View and other offsite camping companies felt it was unfair they were inside the fence :(
    I doubt it, Worthy View is owned by GFL anyway, and is now putting Camplight in their area. (e: and Worthy View easily sells out too).
    most of the other off-site companies offer Yurts etc and facilities for hundreds/thousands, so Camplight would have been irrelevant to them.

GFL wanted them to move from Pennards to elsewhere on-site last year, they refused for silly reasons, put up some petition on facebook apparently, and now are being moved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Could you expand on this?

We're taking small campervan over from Dublin, planning rosslare to fishgaurd currently. Happy out getting there but worried about planning for traffic on the way home - thinking Tuesday ferry home with an overnight somewhere

Just click on "Short breaks & holidays" on their website. Select hotel for one night and put in as sailing out on one day and returning the next. Then it will give you an option for alternative sailings and you can just select the ferries you want.

We usually pick the cheapest hotel, it will be nothing great (but some are very good) but after Glastonbury anything is welcome. Plus it makes the whole trip cheaper than just ferry alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Smart money seems to be on Paul McCartney, The Cure and then maybe Kylie or Madonna. As usual with the rumours around this time id say at least one of them is correct. None of those interest me, be a bit odd going and not seeing even one pyramid headliner. We got Radiohead in October last time I wonder will they give us one name this october as well? We'll surely have something confirmed before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

MadYaker wrote: »
    Smart money seems to be on Paul McCartney, The Cure and then maybe Kylie or Madonna. As usual with the rumours around this time id say at least one of them is correct. None of those interest me, be a bit odd going and not seeing even one pyramid headliner. We got Radiohead in October last time I wonder will they give us one name this october as well? We'll surely have something confirmed before xmas.

Emily Eavis ruled out Madonna & Fleetwood Mac last week. Looks like The Cure and McCartney are near certainties as you say, possibly Kylie as the third or doing a big afternoon slot. Arctic Monkey may be back again and don't be surprised to see The Eagles in one of the legends slots. So far so conventional, but it matters not a jot at Glasto when you've so so many other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Arctic Monkey may be back again
    Been following the Headliners thread on eFests and the guy who runs a US Artic Monkeys forum, who is apparently very much in the know, says they're out for Glasto.

https://twitter.com/blakejp/status/1050771580593176576?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Kylie isn't big enough to headline, she'll be in the legends slot on Sunday afternoon if she plays.
    Eagles are playing gigs Friday and Sunday of that weekend, and don't do back-to-back gigs at all on their tour, let alone 3 nights in a row, so 99% ruled out.

Kylie isn't big enough to headline, she'll be in the legends slot on Sunday afternoon if she plays.
    I'd say she's nailed on for Legends Slot.

Eagles are playing gigs Friday and Sunday of that weekend, and don't do back-to-back gigs at all on their tour, let alone 3 nights in a row, so 99% ruled out.

Beg to disagree. Record sales and the venues she continues to play would imply otherwise. But legends slot more likely.
    And you're probably right about The Eagles, but of all the places to make an exception for......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can't see Kylie headlining. Don't think she's big enough. Would be good for the Legends slot although did hear that Diana Ross' name being bandied about for that. I'm usually 50/50 about the Legends. Lional Richie was brilliant and fun but skipped Kris Kristopherson last time to go to see Aine Cahil in a pub (And then Elbow in The Park).

It's hard to know. I mean it looks like probably Paul McCartney but you gotta wonder if they'll hold anyone back for a year for the 50th. I'm sure they'd love to go all out for 2020 and I'm sure acts would love to hold out for that too.

I suppose, as usual, some rumours are true and some aren't. The way it's going for the last couple of years, I'm assuming we'll hear two of the headliners and possible the Legend by Christmas.

Can't see Kylie headlining. Don't think she's big enough. Would be good for the Legends slot although did hear that Diana Ross' name being bandied about for that. I'm usually 50/50 about the Legends. Lional Richie was brilliant and fun but skipped Kris Kristopherson last time to go to see Aine Cahil in a pub (And then Elbow in The Park).

It's hard to know. I mean it looks like probably Paul McCartney but you gotta wonder if they'll hold anyone back for a year for the 50th. I'm sure they'd love to go all out for 2020 and I'm sure acts would love to hold out for that too.

I suppose, as usual, some rumours are true and some aren't. The way it's going for the last couple of years, I'm assuming we'll hear two of the headliners and possible the Legend by Christmas.

Ghostdancer said the same and again I disagree. She may not be our headliner of taste but she remains huge. Just finished a UK tour where she sold out every major arena in the country including three nights at the London O2. As a comparison Paul McCartney did two nights there three years ago and didn't sell out the second, The Cure did one night on their last visit. All can sell out Hyde Park. Personnaly I'd prefer her not to headline.

And re Macca for 2020 people who've seen him more recently than I have say his voice is going? If true then 20 months is a long time to wait for it to deteriorate further. Anyone seen him in the last 12/18 months?

• Advertisement

And re Macca for 2020 people who've seen him more recently than I have say his voice is going? If true then 20 months is a long time to wait for it to deteriorate further. Anyone seen him in the last 12/18 months?
    He sounds fine for a man of his age.. it's not as strong as it was but hearing The Beatles hits in a singalong on the Pyramid would be incredible!

Here's a recent gig from Central Station in NY:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,494 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah saw him in Madison Square Garden last September. Voice has lost a bit of power and range obviously but still decent. Was the best time I've seen him, having seen him 4-5 times over the last 15 years.

He'll play next year or won't play again. End of his tour, probably the last big world tour like that too. He'll be 78 in 2020 and off tour.

Emily said hes the "top of the list" to headline and he said "yeah probably" himself when asked if he would play. Plus his daughters are in-family campaigning for it. Would be shocked if he didn't now at this stage.

https://www.glastofestfeed.com/latest/news/paul-mccartney-reveals-glastonbury-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Discokiiid

My source told me

Madonna 100% headlining
    Kylie legend spot
    Lana Del Rey
    George Ezra
    The Cure

Will all feature!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Aphex Twin been rumoured to be doing festivals in the summer, he could easily close the Park Stage like Jon Hopkins 3 years ago and I think Four Tet closed it one year too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

That would be delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭declanleo

Emily Eavis ruled out Madonna & Fleetwood Mac last week. Looks like The Cure and McCartney are near certainties as you say, possibly Kylie as the third or doing a big afternoon slot. Arctic Monkey may be back again and don't be surprised to see The Eagles in one of the legends slots. So far so conventional, but it matters not a jot at Glasto when you've so so many other options.

Kendrick Lamar?
    Pearl jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭declanleo

Can they afford to wait another year?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Got Worthy View this morning but will probably cancel to stay inside the fence..has anyone who flies over brought those 2/3 person popup tents with them?..just wondering what ryanair/aer lingus class them as..an extra case or something else. We will have big backpacks already so pop up tents will be extra. TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Got Worthy View this morning but will probably cancel to stay inside the fence..has anyone who flies over brought those 2/3 person popup tents with them?..just wondering what ryanair/aer lingus class them as..an extra case or something else. We will have big backpacks already so pop up tents will be extra. TIA
    I think WV is great and felt a lot closer to the side of the festival I prefer compared to years I camped inside the fence.

It all depends on when you plan on arriving and where you plan on pitching up. I would not rule WV out just because its outside the fence.

It’s barely outside the fence but the hill up to it is a ballache apparently. Very few people who do worthy view have much negative to say about it. It’s closer to the SE corner than many of the other campsites.

If you already have WV paid for I’d stick with it and forget about the pop up tent. Ryanair will charge you a fortune to bring that and carrying them around is a pain. If you decide to ditch WV buy a fold up tent and fit it inside your bag, that’ll be cheaper than paying Ryanair extra to fly the pop up over and back. Should be doable, I have a 90 litre rucksack and in that I can fit everything I need for the 5 days apart from my drink and I bring a 3 man tent just for me.

• Advertisement

Yep. 90 L Rucksack too: 4 man tent (Just for me and mah beer :) ), sleeping bag, Camping bed, clothes etc. (Including my "going home" clothes wrapped in clingfilm") and bulky clothes like a fleece and good reusable poncho, battery packs. I do also have a carry-on which has another 2 changes of clothes, bin bags, plugs etc. I go over on Wednesday morning to get my food and booze in Bristol and then head to Glasto on Thursday morning. Typically aim to be on site, tent erected and 2 drinks in by noon. (Always amazes me, you're sitting there, all done, having a drink and thinking "Must be 5 or 6 by now". You look at your watch and see it's 1..... Oh dear :) )

Just remember to bring back what you bring there. Love The Farm and all that. It's one thing bringing it there, it's another thing to pack up and bring it all back after 4 or 5 days there.

Ah great good tips there lads thanks.,S.M.B. we'd be arriving about 12 midday on wednesday..were spoilt last year staying with camplight so tents sent up for us on arrival in pennards just below the tipi field..also really enjoy staying that side of festival as usually end up in southeast corner..got worthy view as a kind of insurance as its fully refundable less £15 so thought it was worth it..being honest i think its the thoughts of making it up that hill to WV at 5 or 6am as were usually last of the stragglers :D

Madyaker never thought of putting a foldup tent in the rucksack cos was thinking wouldnt have room but now you say it we had a bit of extra room last time so would fit it in and stick drink bought in bristol and spare clothes in a carryon as you say TheIrishGrover so that would work well. 2015 we stayed in campervan west which was a right trek to the main stages and back at night from SE corner so just thought it was so much better staying right in the middle of it all last time.

Owe ye all a pint at the Brothers bar now..thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The Hill is a pain but I was expecting worse based on stories. In saying that, the hill combined with a bad weekend of weather would probably change my view.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    The Hill is a pain but I was expecting worse based on stories. In saying that, the hill combined with a bad weekend of weather would probably change my view.

Yeah actually looks ok..there is a video on youtube :o but as you say the weather might change that..then there would be the benefits of a good hot shower if it was a muddy one..ok thinking too much now :pac:

Well, it's 8 months away now. Now that tickets are got I tend to try to forget about it until about March or so. Otherwise ya drive yerself mad (And others by constantly going on about Glasto this and Glasto that. I got p*ssed off with myself about that a couple of years ago). So, until acts are officially announced, I'll try to stay outahere :)

Ah great good tips there lads thanks.,S.M.B. we'd be arriving about 12 midday on wednesday..were spoilt last year staying with camplight so tents sent up for us on arrival in pennards just below the tipi field..also really enjoy staying that side of festival as usually end up in southeast corner..got worthy view as a kind of insurance as its fully refundable less £15 so thought it was worth it..being honest i think its the thoughts of making it up that hill to WV at 5 or 6am as were usually last of the stragglers :D

Madyaker never thought of putting a foldup tent in the rucksack cos was thinking wouldnt have room but now you say it we had a bit of extra room last time so would fit it in and stick drink bought in bristol and spare clothes in a carryon as you say TheIrishGrover so that would work well. 2015 we stayed in campervan west which was a right trek to the main stages and back at night from SE corner so just thought it was so much better staying right in the middle of it all last time.

Owe ye all a pint at the Brothers bar now..thanks for that :)

I’ll hold you to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pjf2013

We were lucky enough to get a camper van pass last Saturday, just looking for any tips... looking to rent one over there as I don’t think any of us could face that drive home

• Registered Users Posts: 38 yannanevotna

pjf2013 wrote: »
    We were lucky enough to get a camper van pass last Saturday, just looking for any tips... looking to rent one over there as I don’t think any of us could face that drive home
    we've a motorhome booked through these guys:

https://www.motorhomehire.uk.com/locations/bristol

£1299 for a 7 berth, Monday to Monday with 3 named drivers. The £199 deposit is fully refundable right up to the end of April which suits us as we didn't manage to get tickets in the main sale. 20 mins from Bristol airport they reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pjf2013

we've a motorhome booked through these guys:

https://www.motorhomehire.uk.com/locations/bristol

£1299 for a 7 berth, Monday to Monday with 3 named drivers. The £199 deposit is fully refundable right up to the end of April which suits us as we didn't manage to get tickets in the main sale. 20 mins from Bristol airport they reckon.

Thanks for that. Will check them out

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

20 mins from Bristol airport they reckon.

Lol. If you fly from the airport maybe.

Depending on what time of day you are landing will have a massive effect on the timing obviously, but you're looking at closer to an hour each way assuming the M4/M5 don't grind to a halt then all bets are off.

Advertisement