Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It’s getting quite wild in Cork now. Some pretty strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

"calm before the storm" here in swords..mild enough out there..thanks to all here for updates and information,much appreciated...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

We are starting to get battered here right now, sw , lets hope it wont last long

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Wind has picked up a lot here in Limerick in the past 10 mins. Pressure 992 and falling rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

This tweet gives a really good idea of the possible gusts over the country tonight and into morning... Fresh! 😁

https://twitter.com/wxcharts/status/1050442380476858368?s=09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Still relatively calm in Clew Bay, a bit of wind but nothing eyebrow-raising for this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

goat2 wrote: »
    We are starting to get battered here right now, sw , lets hope it wont last long

Where are you it helps when we know and hope other posters will post their locations

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pressure falling rapidly now. Valentia 9pm 990hpa, 10pm 986hpa

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Where are you it helps when we know and hope other posters will post their locations

SW kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wind suddenly picking up in Galway now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Wind starting to howl around the house now in Sth Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Wind has picked up in Cork City at around 22:10

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind picking up in S Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Weather underground app has a very useful layer for their map which shows data from personal weather stations including recent gusts.
    Search for "Weather underground" app in your App store.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

In a yellow warning area here in South Tipp but winds have definitely picked up in the past 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,325 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Still quite calm in Galway - west of city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭thomil

Winds definitely stronger, some pretty intense gusts. Sustained winds picking up as well, although I can't give you figures, as my weather station doesn't have a wind gauge... yet. Air pressure hovering around the 990 mbar mark, and still 14ºC outside, although it feels colder. From the way it looks on Met Éireann's weather radar, it should start raining in earnest within the next 30-45 minutes, maybe sooner.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Here are approximate timings for the peaks of the worst winds, so that we can cut the "load of nothing" posts out before they start.

South-west coast: 2/3am
    Cork/South coast: 5/6am
    Midlands: 5/6am
    South-east: 6/7am
    Dublin/East Coast/Ulster: 7/8am
    Galway/Mayo: 12pm/1pm
    Donegal: 4/5pm
    Limerick: might peak twice here, first around 2am, then again around 11am/12pm.

The big gap with the west is because they're largely escaping the initial frontal winds, and getting hit more by the core winds as the storm centre passes to the west later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Very calm in Dublin here nothing happening yet. Also was throwing up a server error when trying to post there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Big pick up in the wind in Little Island , east of cork city . Trees are constantly moving with some moderate gusts but nothing too out of the ordinary yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Very heavy rain and strong winds here now,. Sw beara peninsula

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

What's it like in Galway city? Seems pretty calm in East Galway, at least where I am. Have an interview in the city tomorrow so hoping things aren't disturbed too badly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭xraylady

Killarney. Winds really building with driving rain. Very loud with extremely strong gusts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

MJohnston wrote: »
    Here are approximate timings for the peaks of the worst winds, so that we can cut the "load of nothing" posts out before they start.

South-west coast: 2/3am
    Cork/South coast: 5/6am
    Midlands: 5/6am
    South-east: 6/7am
    Dublin/East Coast/Ulster: 7/8am
    Galway/Mayo: 12pm/1pm
    Donegal: 4/5pm
    Limerick: might peak twice here, first around 2am, then again around 11am/12pm.

The big gap with the west is because they're largely escaping the initial frontal winds, and getting hit more by the core winds as the storm centre passes to the west later on.

That's interesting, I expected Galway's worst winds to be around 9am during rush hour traffic.
    That will be good for the possible storm surge given the high tide is at 7:50am.
    We're essentially still 12 hours away from peak gusts. It's still quite calm in Galway now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Picking up here in Limerick City too in the last 30 mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That's interesting, I expected Galway's worst winds to be around 9am during rush hour traffic.
    That will be good for the possible storm surge given the high tide is at 7:50am. Thanks.

Note that my post contains what I approximate as the peak of the winds, I didn't say that Galway would be unaffected earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DennyPa

First post, long time viewing the thread. Killarney based and it’s wild. Howling wind and driving rain.. must say ye are great with the updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Watergrasshill in Cork (exposed site).

Pressure dropped to 991
    Gusts of up to 49km/h now.

Rain just started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

No rain in bishopstown Cork City yet. Still a clear sky with some cloud it looks like but hard to tell. Windy though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Getting rough-ish here, halfway along Kenmare bay been building up the last half hour or so.

Advertisement