Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Large animals who just didn’t have time to adapt evolutionary strategy to fear humans or defend against them. It generally took about a millennium in Australia and the Americas for humans to elimate the large beasts.

Mammoths survived with human populations far longer, in fact the juries out on what caused the extinction. Of course mammoths were hunted by Neanderthal and even homo erectus so they probably developed a fear of humans in general over millions of years.

I saw a documentary on the extinction of mammoths a couple of years ago. The last mammoths died less than 4,000 years ago. There was an isolated population of about 500 extant on Wrangel Island in the Arctic ocean until humans arrived from the mainland. As an aside, the programme did an excellent reconstruction of how they were hunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The show seinfeld has earned more than $3BN in syndication since it finished. Jerry Seinfeld is worth around $900M, practically all of it from the show.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I saw a documentary on the extinction of mammoths a couple of years ago. The last mammoths died less than 4,000 years ago. There was an isolated population of about 500 extant on Wrangel Island in the Arctic ocean until humans arrived from the mainland. As an aside, the programme did an excellent reconstruction of how they were hunted.

There were mammoths roaming the earth at the same time the great pyramids were being built which i always find very hard to imagine.

There were mammoths roaming the earth at the same time the great pyramids were being built which i always find very hard to imagine.

Yeah. It's actually very recent, relatively speaking. However, mainland mammoths became extinct 10,000 years ago with only tiny isolated populations surviving on a few islands such as Wrangel. There is also a theory that harmful mutations caused by such a small gene pool led to their extinction before humans arrived. The hunting reconstruction in the documentary was still very cool though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Named after Russian explorer Baron Ferdinand von Wrangel, who, after reading reports and hearing Chukchi (indigenous group inhabiting the shores and peninsula of northern Siberia) stories of land at the island's coordinates, set off on an expedition (1820–1824) to discover the island, with no success.

In August 1867, Thomas Long, an American whaling captain, landed there and called it Wrangel Island after him in honour of his efforts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Shane MacGowan earns approximately £385,000/£400,000 per year from Fairytale of New York royalties.

The song started life as a bet. Elvis Costello, who was the Pogues producer at the time of conception bet Shane MacGowan and co-writer Jem Finer, the band’s banjoist, that they couldn’t come up with a Christmas record that wasn’t slushy. Costello however didn't go on to produce this track.

The lyrics mention: “The boys of the NYPD choir still singing ‘Galway Bay’.” The NYPD doesn’t actually have a choir, but it does have an Irish pipe band who are featured in the music video. They didn’t know ‘Galway Bay’, so they played the ‘Mickey Mouse Club March’ instead, and the video was later slowed down to fit the beat.

The Pet Shop Boys 'Always on my Mind' kept it off the #1 slot at the top of the UK charts and MacGowan's reaction to be being pipped to the post was: “We were beaten by two queens and a drum machine”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Everybody has probably seen one of those photographs that show a dwarf and a giant side-by-side. For example...

Quem-Foi-Adam-Rainer-17.jpg

Now imagine the same person taking up both positions in different times in their life.

Adam Rainer was born in Austria in 1899. By age 18 he was only 4ft 6 tall, with adult dwarfism being defined as under 4ft 10.

However, despite being so small, medical records show that Rainer had remarkably large hands and feet. At age 18 and 4ft 10 he wore US size 10, or what we would call size 9 shoes.

As WW1 was breaking out that same year he tried to join the army, but was rejected for being much too small. He probably wished he was bigger.

Three years later, aged 21 and now 4ft 8, his feet had doubled in size to US size 20 (so big I can't find a conversion chart, for comparison Shaquile O'Neill is US 23).

However, it wasn’t just his hands and feet that experienced this massive growth spurt, it was his entire body.

By the time he was 31 he measured 7ft 1, almost 2 1\2 feet in ten years. He was now technically a giant.

This was all caused by a tumor on his pituitary gland which led to an overproduction of growth hormones.

After this was removed he continued to grow, but much more slowly.

He died aged 51, 7ft 9, the only person in recorded history to have been th a dwarf and a giant.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

This might have been mentioned already but I will put my hands up and admit that I didn’t read all 689 pages.... I know, I know, I should be ashamed of myself!

Anyway, the fuel gauge in a car has the picture of a fuel pump. On this little fuel pump, the side that the nozzle is on usually determines which side of the car you fill the fuel tank on. Some also have a little triangle pointing to the left or right.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The nozzle pointer bit is not true at all.

(The triangle bit apparently is)

cdeb wrote: »
    The nozzle pointer bit is not true at all.

(The triangle bit apparently is)

Did you just debunk my amazing fact 😂 The nozzle has been on the correct side in any car I checked. Hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

Did you just debunk my amazing fact �� The nozzle has been on the correct side in any car I checked. Hmmmm

Anecdote is not data...
    Been debunked several times here already.

Anecdote is not data...
    Been debunked several times here already.

I’ll just go back to my corner so and search for something new :(

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Just after seeing this system this morning after using the words for years & years.

million, billion, trillion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers

Probably obvious when you think about it, just never did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Due to the effect of gravity on time, time essentially speeds up the farther you get from a massive object and slows the nearer you get, the earths core is approximately 2.5 years younger than it's surface, despite both forming at the same time.
    The more massive the object the greater the effect - the suns core would be approx. 40,000 years "younger"

I'm off to hide now before fourier catches me and exposes me for all to see as a waffling gobshíte:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just to emphasise the difference between million and billion.

A million seconds is around 11 days.

A billion seconds is over 31 years!

And another thing about a million, if you got a euro every single day since Jesus was born you still wouldn't be near having a million euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just to emphasise the difference between million and billion.

A million seconds is around 11 days.

A billion seconds is over 31 years!

And another thing about a million, if you got a euro every single day since Jesus was born you still wouldn't be near having a million euro.

Well, yeah, you'd only be getting them since 2002 like. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Due to the effect of gravity on time, time essentially speeds up the farther you get from a massive object and slows the nearer you get, the earths core is approximately 2.5 years younger than it's surface, despite both forming at the same time.
    The more massive the object the greater the effect - the suns core would be approx. 40,000 years "younger"

I'm off to hide now before fourier catches me and exposes me for all to see as a waffling gobshíte:D
    No quite accurate. I just worked it out there and it's 39,735.54 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Fourier wrote: »
    No quite accurate. I just worked it out there and it's 39,735.54 years.

In my language, approximately 40,000 means anywhere from 2 to a million:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The word agitprop originated in Soviet Russia as a shortened name for the Department for Agitation and Propaganda set up c. 1920. The department was later renamed the  Ideological Department.

The term 'agitprop' is now defined as a type of political strategy in which the techniques of agitation and propaganda are used to influence and mobilize public opinion. 'Agiprop' as a shortened combination of two existing words is reminiscent of George Orwells ideas of Newspeak as detailed in his book 1984.

In the years after the October Revolution of 1917, an agitprop train toured Russia with artists and actors performing plays and broadcasting propaganda. The train had a printing press on board to reproduce posters which were distributed by being thrown out of the windows as the train passed through villages.

220px-Plakat_mayakowski_gross.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Did you know, 0f the previous 8240 posts up until mine, only 341 have been repeated, and only 73 of these have been repeated 3 or more times...There have been just under 1100 different posters to this thread, and now one poster more thanks to me...

Do you mean repeated as in the same thing has been posted again without reference to other posts, or just quotes?

If the former then how did you work it out.
    ...Was constipated so had some "free time" to check...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can I ask, how did you check?

Are such metrics available to view?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

Can I ask, how did you check?

Are such metrics available to view?
    ...Oh no not at all, I didn't check one bit...Just picked random numbers in my head ðŸ˜ðŸ˜...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Kylie Minogue has 2 different songs called Love at First Sight and 2 called Closer.

Madonna has 2 different songs called Forbidden Love.

Lenny Kravitz has 2 different songs called Believe.

Mary J Blige has 2 different songs called Don’t Go.

Boyzone have a song called "No Matter What" and one called "No Matter".

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Kylie Minogue has 2 different songs called Love at First Sight.

Madonna has 2 different songs called Forbidden Love.

Mary J Blige has 2 different songs called Don’t Go.

Thin Lizzy released two songs called 'Sarah'. One about Phil Lynott's daughter, and another earlier song about Lynott's grandmother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Scooter have two songs called 'Faster Harder Scooter'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Scooter have two songs called 'Faster Harder Scooter'

Scooter has only one song, released under various names.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

The plural of court martial is courts martial.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭mr chips

The plural of knock-on (in rugby) is knocks-on.:)

mr chips wrote: »

That's not true!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

mr chips wrote: »

The dictionary, open in front of me, says otherwise. "Plural: Knock-ons."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement