Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Do you mean they've never been released digitally as a single? Because I have a Police CD in my car right now with Walking on the Moon on it

You have a Police CD with the Reggatta De Blanc album version of Walking On The Moon on it.
    mzungu wrote: »
    Aye, that is my reading of it. Released on vinyl back in the day as a single but not on cd / digital. They do appear on albums and best of compilations digitally etc.

What I am getting at this: the single edits of those four songs are still unavailable on CD.

While CD singles were obviously not an option at the time of release, all four bands have released numerous compilation albums (Best Ofs, Greatest Hits, Singles collections) over the years - as well as reissues of albums that originally included these songs. In addition there have been thousands of opportunities to include these single edits on Various Artists compilations over the last 35 years. You must notice that there are new retrospective 1980s compilations released every couple of weeks.

Double Dutch is on the first Now album but when they issued it on CD for the 25th anniversary (and again for the 35th anniversary), they mistakenly used the album version.

Walking On The Moon (and Message In A Bottle) are in the same boat - Police and V/A compilations always use the longer album versions. The single versions of both tracks are both 60 seconds shorter than the LP mixes.

AntMusic likewise - the mix on Kings Of The Wild Frontier is about 25 seconds longer than the 7" and is invariably included everywhere. Once an error is made, it keeps cropping up over and over again.

The version of Once In A Lifetime that we heard on the radio back in 1980 / 81 was more than a minute shorter than the Remain In Light album take.

These aren't obscure songs. They sold by the truckload. The fact that the versions we heard on the radio still haven't made it to CD or iTunes at this point in time is staggering.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You have a Police CD with the Reggatta De Blanc album version of Walking On The Moon on it.

What I am getting at this: the single edits of those four songs are still unavailable on CD.

While CD singles were obviously not an option at the time of release, all four bands have released numerous compilation albums (Best Ofs, Greatest Hits, Singles collections) over the years - as well as reissues of albums that originally included these songs. In addition there have been thousands of opportunities to include these single edits on Various Artists compilations over the last 35 years. You must notice that there are new retrospective 1980s compilations released every couple of weeks.

Double Dutch is on the first Now album but when they issued it on CD for the 25th anniversary (and again for the 35th anniversary), they mistakenly used the album version.

Walking On The Moon (and Message In A Bottle) are in the same boat - Police and V/A compilations always use the longer album versions. The single versions of both tracks are both 60 seconds shorter than the LP mixes.

AntMusic likewise - the mix on Kings Of The Wild Frontier is about 25 seconds longer than the 7" and is invariably included everywhere. Once an error is made, it keeps cropping up over and over again.

The version of Once In A Lifetime that we heard on the radio back in 1980 / 81 was more than a minute shorter than the Remain In Light album take.

These aren't obscure songs. They sold by the truckload. The fact that the versions we heard on the radio still haven't made it to CD or iTunes at this point in time is staggering.
    Ah yes, I catch your drift. :)

Somewhat related, Radiohead named themselves after the Talking Heads song 'Radio Head' from the True Stories album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Fourier wrote: »
    I know that the adjective noun order is reversed in "court martial" because it is taken from French during the Norman invasion. Do all open compounds come from French?

Where the adjective noun order is French the plural does tend to be the first word, the noun. Attorneys General, for instance. Its not universally French though as the plural for mother-in-law is mothers-in-law, so open compound words do have that logic too even if not from the French. However the plural of knock on is knockons because it isn't really an open compound word. Anymore

Heres a nice list.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/58764/26-fancy-unusual-plurals-work-attorneys-general

also you are all wrong about using figuratively instead of literally in hyperbole. It could be used but its bad style, and literally within a figurative sentence is not to be taken literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Australia is slightly wider than the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,752 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

and a good bit wider than Pluto:

plutoaussie.jpg?w=1000&h=580&crop=1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Shut. Up! :eek:
    loyatemu wrote: »

plutoaussie.jpg?w=1000&h=580&crop=1

SHUT! UP!!!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

loyatemu wrote: »
    Ahhh, I was wondering where Pluto went since they downgraded it from its planet status...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The Earth is closer to the sun during winter (N'Hem) than in summer.
    But with the 23circa tilt, you'll be lucky to see it in the depths of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There were wine jars found in Pompeii marked 'Vesuvitum" - A portmanteau of Vesuvius (the nearby volcano) & vitum (The latin for wine). This is apocryphally recognised as the first example of a portmanteau & a marketing pun.

GHOST MGG wrote: »
    France was still executing people by guillotine when the first star wars movie was released......

Anyone I say that to is shocked by how recent it is.

It was still there when the second Star Wars movie came out. Finally abolished in 1981.

The final victim was described as "like a child who knows it's time to go to bed but refuses to go" - a reference to him asking for a third cigarette and being denied it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The cells in your skeletal system regenerate almost constantly, but the complete process takes roughly 10 years. So you have a different skeleton to the one you had back in 2008!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Traffic roundabouts have been knocking about for quite a while in different guises such as Traffic Circles and Rotaries. But it wasn't until the mid 1960's in Britain that the modern roundabout was introduced.
    The big difference was that it was designed to allow traffic to flow on and off the roundabout and most importantly it gave the right of way to traffic already travelling on the roundabout. Before this it was normal that traffic on the roundabout gave way to traffic entering the roundabout. This was an historical hang-up from days of horse and carts and trolley busses on Traffic Circles and Rotaries.
    The British notion of compromise and co-operation took off around Europe (especially France) and became the norm throughout the world except for the U.S where they were still treated with disdain and pessimism by both motorists and town planners until the 1990's.

It took 35-40 years for the real effects of the ITV colour strike 1970-71 to filter through.

At the time, very few people had colour television sets so the fact that programmes were shot in black and white for three months made little or no difference.

Fast forward to the period between 2005 - 2010 when Network DVD released huge chunks of the ITV archive - with loads of television series DVDs having black and white episodes mixed in with colour ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

retalivity wrote: »
    There were wine jars found in Pompeii marked 'Vesuvitum" - A portmanteau of Vesuvius (the nearby volcano) & vitum (The latin for wine). This is apocryphally recognised as the first example of a portmanteau & a marketing pun.

Ahem, vitum is the genetive plural of vita (Latin for life), the Latin word for wine is vinum.

Vesuvitum hence is a lovely portmanteau* of "Vesuvius, life and wine", kind of "drink wine of the Vesuvio slopes and enjoy life", or such like. Or in modern Irish talk: "get drunk and talk shíte".
    The Romans, their legacy is endless ...

*Portmanteau comes from the French for clothes hanger, a suitable word were you can hang all your clothes (or words) higgledy-piggledy. But it's also a linguistic term called portmanteau allomorph, which means when a unit of meaning varies in sound without changing the meaning.

Apocryphal means fictitious. So how can it be recognised as the first example of whatever?

Sincerely, little-miss-knows-it-all :o

or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Carry wrote: »
    Ahem, vitum is the genetive plural of vita (Latin for life), the Latin word for wine is vinum.

Vesuvitum hence is a lovely portmanteau* of "Vesuvius, life and wine", kind of "drink wine of the Vesuvio slopes and enjoy life", or such like. Or in modern Irish talk: "get drunk and talk shíte".

*Portmanteau comes from the French for clothes hanger, a suitable word were you can hang all your clothes (or words) higgledy-piggledy. But it's also a linguistic term called portmanteau allomorph, which means when a unit of meaning varies in sound without changing the meaning.

Apocryphal means fictitious. So how can it be recognised as the first example of whatever?

or maybe not.
    This is a great post, but apocryphal usually implies not simply fictitious, but something whose authenticity is doubtful, not quite the same thing. To say that it is the first marketing term isn't necessarily fictitious, rather it's highly doubtful that it was the very FIRST. Might be the first of which we're aware. I think apocryphal is more akin to "legendary" rather than "fictitious".

Apocryphal to me means that has been said with conviction, but also doubt as it cannot be ultimately proved.

There may well have been some lad that came up with "tig-rice" in mesopatamia ahead of that, but alas we are not to know...Id love that to be true though!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Conor McGregor has a Boards account.
    I bet you didn’t know that (unless you are a fan of the MMA forum.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75385047&postcount=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Conor McGregor has a Boards account.
    I bet you didn’t know that (unless you are a fan of the MMA forum.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75385047&postcount=1

I thought the account had been banned ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm in the US for work and saw this in Golden gate park (My photo)

IMG-20181007-155421.jpg

It seems a bit out of place. A bit of googling shows that it was donated to the city by a former mayor in 1919. The mayor was an Irish emigrant who was very pro irish independance. He actually had 4 made. 3 are in the US and one is in stephens green in Dublin.

And here's a photo of the statue being unveiled in San Fran in 1919.

devalera.jpg
    http://www.sfmuseum.org/hist10/devalera.html

Recognise the guy who's trying to raise money for Irish Independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Grayson wrote: »
    When De Valera was in New York as part of that fund raising campaign he availed of the services of a law firm founded by Thomas Addis Emmet, Robert's older brother. One of the associates at the firm at the time was Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

One of Thomas Addis Emmet's direct descendants was killed in the Paris Bataclan terrorist attack in 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The worst rail crossing disaster in the history of America happened on the 1st December 1938 in Sandy Utah. A High School bus.

A massive blizzard ran through the area all night and into the morning.

A series of unfortunate events then occured to set the tragedy in motion.

The bus wouldn't start that morning, putting it behind by 45 mins.

The Flying Ute freight train to Salt Lake City was also delayed because of the storm.

At exactly 8.35am the school bus approached the crossing, the driver eager to make up time, and thinking that the train had all ready gone through, briefly paused before pulling across. His vision was limited with the storm

At that exact moment the Flying Ute Steam Engine came bursting through the blizzard and hit the bus 3 quarter side on, killing 24 and dragging the wreckage for half a mile.

The tale quarter of the bus was severed and spunout to the side. 8 students survied this.

It seems like fate in a way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭IvyTheTerrific

or maybe not.
    I thought portmanteau was a coat stand or clothes rack not a clothes hanger?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I presume that the "port" part meant "porter", as in, "to bring" or "to carry".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

New Home wrote: »

Port to carry and manteau as in a cloak. A portmanteau was a suitcase that opened into two equal sections.

Lewis Carroll first used it as an example of blended words, in Trough the Looking Glass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Grayson wrote: »
    No.

But I recognise the guy raising funds for a controlling interest in a new national newspaper.

Barrow, Alaska, is America's nothernmost town. It is closer to both Tokyo and St. Petersburg than it is to Washington D.C.

Sorry about the maps! I could not find any that show the actual distance, so I used three separate ones via Google images where both places are visible as a backup.

Below is Barrow (Utqiaġvik on this map) to Tokyo.
    3214821_web1_AJOC_071617_quintillion-System-Map-May-2017.jpg

Below is Barrow to St. Petersburg.
    9844d20dbf4567417618df4dcae8f757.jpg

Below is Barrow to Washington D,C.
    washington-dc-political-map-new-usa-and-canada-map-i-of-washington-dc-political-map-768x701.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Home wrote: »
    When you import port the porters* port the port to the port of Porto in Portugal

*Maybe they drink Guinness?

When you import port the porters* port the port to the port of Porto in Portugal

*Maybe they drink Guinness?

That's very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Actors who play James Bond "give away their rights to wear a tuxedo in any other film".

This was circumvented by Pierce Brosnan in the movie The Thomas Crown Affair by wearing an unbuttoned shirt and a white bow-tie which wasn't tied around his neck.

• Advertisement

Liechtenstein & Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic/Slovakia did not have diplomatic relations until 2009.

After WW2, Czechoslovakia looked to reclaim any German possessions within their borders, occupied land, stolen art etc. Liechtenstein was/is the last remnant of the Holy Roman Empire, the predecessor to the German empire, and the Liechtenstein royal family owned a heap of land & estates in silesia/morovia - modern day czech/slovakia - over 1,600 sq km, more than 10 times the size of their own country. They were a bit peeved to have their hereditary possessions lumped in with the expropriation that was going on with all the other nazi stuff - Liechtenstein in the war was not invaded, but looked to switzerland for guidance and help, and tried to remain neutral but ultimately acquiesced to the Nazi's. The royal family spent the next 60 years trying to get the land back, including going to the UN. They eventually gave in and relinquished their claim.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement