Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Estonia is the only country in Europe beginning with the letter 'E'!

It's also the only country in Europe with 0% corporation tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Does Eire not count?

Water John wrote: »
    Does Eire not count?

Not its widely used name, but I suppose so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Espana?

I suppose if it was qualified as being in English, you are correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Eh, England?

Is that the UK. Questions as to what constitutes, a country? Usually member of the UN or such international Orgs, as per Richard Osman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Eh, England?

Part of the U.K., innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Eh, England?

Gb/uk says hello

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

So England is not in Europe? Wow, that Brexit deal went through quicker than I thought it would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,832 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

In a 49 number lotto system the odds of picking 6 numbers are 1 in 13,983,816

Or to put it another way. Get a piece of rope or string, that's 39 feet long.
    In a wide open area, arrange the rope or string in a circle, end to end, the best you can.
    Get a single grain of sand or dirt (use tweezers!) and place it anywhere you wish inside the circle.
    Get a second grain of sand. Close your eyes, and "disorient" yourself as to where the grain of sand is that you placed inside of the circle (have someone spin you around or something!).
    While you're inside the circle, drop the second grain of sand from 1 foot up.
    Your chances of hitting the first grain of sand with the second is roughly equal to the odds of "1 in 13,983,816."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Quazzie wrote: »

In a wide open area, arrange the rope or string in a circle, end to end, the best you can.
    Get a single grain of sand or dirt (use tweezers!) and place it anywhere you wish inside the circle.
    Get a second grain of sand. Close your eyes, and "disorient" yourself as to where the grain of sand is that you placed inside of the circle (have someone spin you around or something!).
    Your chances of hitting the first grain of sand with the second is roughly equal to the odds of "1 in 13,983,816."

Really? I would've thought that the odds of picking 6 numbers were 6 in 6? The odds of picking the right numbers is a different matter.

Really? I would've thought that the odds of picking 6 numbers were 6 in 6? The odds of picking the right numbers is a different matter.

43063749fe79fe88635cf2fe7fd6794254856e70f35be22226c8b99aaa5b986c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭KevRossi

When you import port the porters* port the port to the port of Porto in Portugal

*Maybe they drink Guinness?

When you import Porto port, porters port port to Porto's port in Portugal.

^That's the version we learnt in school IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

The odds of winning the Irish lotto (6 balls correct) is only slightly better with only 47 balls in it. 1 in 10,737,573.

But trying to win the Euromillions, which is effectively 7 balls, is simply pants
    at 1 in 139,838,160,

Instead opt for winning 1m from just the 5 main numbers (1-50), ignoring the stars, which has odds of about 2m/1.

The city of Bratislava is the capital of Slovakia and the only capital city that is built where 3 countries meet; Slovakia, Austria and Hungary. They also have 3 totally distinct languages from three major language groups.

There are only about 15 capitals built on their countries borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

The theme tune to the TV gameshow Going For Gold was composed by none other than Hans Zimmer!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/hans-zimmer-soundcloud-music-contest

There are a million times as many ants in the world as there are humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Is the bolded but correct? It would seem to negatively affect the odds.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Is the bolded but correct? It would seem to negatively affect the odds.

If the rope's length mentioned is a little unreasonable, for every foot above the circle that you drop the second grain of sand, you can reduce the length of the string by the same amount. For example, if you dropped the second grain of sand from a ladder 10 feet up, you'd need a length of string that is 10 times shorter than the one in #1, or a 40/10 = 4.04022 foot long piece of string.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭lan

But trying to win the Euromillions, which is effectively 7 balls, is simply pants
    at 1 in 139,838,160

It’s hard to get your head around just how small your chance of wining the lottery really is.

One example I like to help visualise it is, you’re about twice as likely to be able to guess someone else’s mobile phone number off the top of your head than you are to win the Euromillions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

lan wrote: »
    It’s hard to get your head around just how small your chance of wining the lottery really is.

One example I like to help visualise it is, you’re about twice as likely to be able to guess someone else’s mobile phone number off the top of your head than you are to win the Euromillions.

Why, though? :confused: Aren't the odds even worse if you have more numbers? (10, in a mobile phone)?

Also, I'd be curious to know how many chances (combined) you'd have to win any of the other prizes. I can't do the maths, I'm afraid.

New Home wrote: »
    Why, though? :confused: Aren't the odds even worse if you have more numbers? (10, in a mobile phone)?

Also, I'd be curious to know how many chances (combined) you'd have to win any of the other prizes. I can't do the maths, I'm afraid.

The prefix can only be 1 of 3 tho. 086 086 or 085

So it's 3x10x10x10x10x10x10x10
    =1 in 30,000,000

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ah, of course! That makes sense, thanks Quazzie. :)

New Home wrote: »

For a phone number each digit can be 1 of 10. Let's assume it could be anything. So the number of possibilities is 10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10. For the Lotto if you were guessing the numbers in order it would be 47*46*45*44*43*42. Since you don't have to do them in order you can then divide by 6*5*4*3*2*1.
    The number of possibilities in each case is important. Guessing a 3 digit number would be 10*10*10 or 1000 possibilities. Guessing 3 letters is 26*26*26 which is 17,576 possibilities.

Cheers for that.

The prefix can only be 1 of 3 tho. 086 086 or 085

So it's 3x10x10x10x10x10x10x10
    =1 in 30,000,000

After the 08x the next number cannot be a 0, so we have 3x9x10x10x10x10x10x10 = 27,000,000

FWIW Roscommon GAA are raffling a house worth €425,000. There is a max of 15,000 tickets and they cost €100.

The odds are the same as getting 4 numbers + Bonus in the Irish Lotto.

I used to play the Euromillions in a small syndicate of 4 people. I never understood why we played it and not the Irish Lotto as even sharing a €2,000,000 win is a life changing amount.

KevRossi wrote: »
    After the 08x the next number cannot be a 0, so we have 3x9x10x10x10x10x10x10 = 27,000,000

FWIW Roscommon GAA are raffling a house worth €425,000. There is a max of 15,000 tickets and they cost €100.

The odds are the same as getting 4 numbers + Bonus in the Irish Lotto.

I used to play the Euromillions in a small syndicate of 4 people. I never understood why we played it and not the Irish Lotto as even sharing a €2,000,000 win is a life changing amount.

It can be, I know someone who's number starts with 0

But my maths are slightly off as I forgot about 083 numbers :o

It's 1 in 40,000,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

089 too :) 089, 087, 086, 085 and 083. I don't think 088 is used anymore?

• Advertisement

I don't think so, either. So, there's Vodafone, Three, Tesco, An Post, Lycamobile... are there any more?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement