Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭b318isp

mzungu wrote: »
    The Blackbird was capable of speeds reaching 2,200mph (3,540kph) while its futuristic shape and black paint full of radar-absorbing iron made it virtually undetectable.

It also expanded by up to 11" in supersonic cruise due to heat. A consequence of this was that the plane would weep fuel on the ground and in subsonic flight - requiring it use a special fuel - JP7 (Triethylborane) - which had low volatility. See pic below of the trails.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JP-7

1280px-Lockheed_SR-71_Blackbird.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The Blackbird was capable of speeds reaching 2,200mph (3,540kph) while its futuristic shape and black paint full of radar-absorbing iron made it virtually undetectable.
    The stealth bit isn't really true, while it did have a reduced radar cross-section of about 10 square meters, Soviet radar technology was easily able to detect it.

The problem for the Soviets was actually doing something about it, if a missile was launched, the Blackbird would accelerate to the aforemented speed and simply outrun the threat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The technology behind the Blackbird was a partial spin-off if the U2 spy plane which was developed and tested under great secrecy at Groom Lake Airforce Base - also known as Area 51

The Russians have their own area 51 though it is far less well known, it is called Kapustin Yar and became operational in 1946. It housed many german rocket scientists captured during WW2. The base is still in active use today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Madagascar, that massive island off the coast of Africa, was only settled by people around 350AD. The mad thing is, it wasn't settled from Africa - rather by people arriving from Borneo, across the Indian Ocean!

Similarly, New Zealand was uninhabited until about 1350.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

New Home wrote: »
    Prince wrote "Manic Monday", too, which was one of The Bangles' greatest successes.

He only wrote it for them so he could get jiggy with Suzannah Hoffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

The technology behind the Blackbird was a partial spin-off if the U2 spy plane which was developed and tested under great secrecy at Groom Lake Airforce Base - also known as Area 51

The Russians have their own area 51 though it is far less well known, it is called Kapustin Yar and became operational in 1946. It housed many german rocket scientists captured during WW2. The base is still in active use today.

I remember reading something in a book years ago (could have been fictional) about an enormous Russian training ground for spies that was basically a number of entire towns, I.e. American, English, French towns with everything authentic and only the designated language spoken.

Amazing if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Nixonbot wrote: »

When I read that I flat out didn't believe you. Had to go looking it up. Amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Big Nasty wrote: »
    I remember reading something in a book years ago (could have been fictional) about an enormous Russian training ground for spies that was basically a number of entire towns, I.e. American, English, French towns with everything authentic and only the designated language spoken.

Amazing if true.

It is true, nobody knows how many such towns were purpose built but the most well known one was Vinnytsia in what is now Ukraine. In 1959 a spy school was established there and a mock up American town was constructed, the CIA learned of it's existence in 1960.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I also believe that there are no native NZ mammals, except bats who flew there. Any mammals now there were introduced by humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

surely we cant know that about NEw Zealand tho.

Maybe we just havent found the fossils/bones yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

There are and were a handful of native mammals there, though the only live ones seem to be bats and sea-going mammals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammals_of_New_Zealand

But certainly, there were very few prior to the arrival of the Maori and other Pacific Islanders some 700 years ago.

It is a rule of the internet that I must now post the great Blackbird speed check story.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Worse has been done for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is true, nobody knows how many such towns were purpose built but the most well known one was Vinnytsia in what is now Ukraine. In 1959 a spy school was established there and a mock up American town was constructed, the CIA learned of it's existence in 1960.

Didn't take them long

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Our bones are unbelievably strong. In fact, ounce for ounce, our bones are stronger than steel. If you had a bar of steel a comparable size it would weigh nearly five times as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Our bones are unbelievably strong. In fact, bounce for bounce, our bones are stronger than steel. If you had a bar of steel a comparable size it would weigh nearly five times as much!

FYP there, Tigger. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

DrumSteve wrote: »

So you're saying if I send her a little ditty I'm in with a chance?:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

She might see you in a different light. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...Did you know, 0f the previous 8240 posts up until mine, only 341 have been repeated, and only 73 of these have been repeated 3 or more times...There have been just under 1100 different posters to this thread, and now one poster more thanks to me...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The stealth bit isn't really true, while it did have a reduced radar cross-section of about 10 square meters, Soviet radar technology was easily able to detect it.

The problem for the Soviets was actually doing something about it, if a missile was launched, the Blackbird would accelerate to the aforemented speed and simply outrun the threat.
    The Americans knew this and AFAIK the Blackbird never crossed Russian territory instead doing side scans.

China and other countries were crossed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Giant insects filling the niche of mice ?

Top predators and herbivores are large birds ?

Lots of species wiped out when mammals arrived.

Of course like Madagascar all the big birds were killed off around the time humans arrived. Just like lots of large terrestrial animals died when humans arrived elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

...Did you know, 0f the previous 8240 posts up until mine, only 341 have been repeated, and only 73 of these have been repeated 3 or more times...There have been just under 1100 different posters to this thread, and now one poster more thanks to me...

Do you mean repeated as in the same thing has been posted again without reference to other posts, or just quotes?

If the former then how did you work it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Giant insects filling the niche of mice ?

Top predators and herbivores are large birds ?

Lots of species wiped out when mammals arrived.

Of course like Madagascar all the big birds were killed off around the time humans arrived. Just like lots of large terrestrial animals died when humans arrived elsewhere.

Large animals who just didn’t have time to adapt evolutionary strategy to fear humans or defend against them. It generally took about a millennium in Australia and the Americas for humans to elimate the large beasts.

Mammoths survived with human populations far longer, in fact the juries out on what caused the extinction. Of course mammoths were hunted by Neanderthal and even homo erectus so they probably developed a fear of humans in general over millions of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Abraham Lincoln (16th President of the United States) at the age of 21 was the unofficial wrestling champion of his county in 1830.  He was an accomplished wrestler and is honored in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater.

There is only one recorded instance of him losing in during his wrestling years which spaned 12 years, according to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame (NWHOF)

gozunda wrote: »
    Abraham Lincoln (16th President of the United States) at the age if 21 was the wrestling champion of his county in 1830.  He was also an accomplished wrestler and is honored in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in Stillwater.

There is only one recorded instance of him losing in during his wrestling years which spaned 12 years, according to the National Wrestling Hall of Fame (NWHOF)
    Greco-roman wrestling, rather than the flying circus of WWE, I presume?
    trump-austin-mcmahon-lashley-1-gty-1160.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He's got hold of the wrong man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

mikhail wrote: »
    Greco-roman wrestling, rather than the flying circus of WWE, I presume?
    It was confirmed earlier in the thread that he defeated Vince McMahon in a ten hour cage fight using his signature move "The Gettysburg Compress".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The cast of Friends make $20 million a year from syndication revenue. The show finished in 2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I didn't know this but the rising Australian singer Dean Lewis who sings "It'll Be Alright" is actually in his early 30s! For some reason I thought he was a lot younger.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

You have more synaptic connections in your brain then there are stars in the Milky Way Galaxy.

Astronomers estimate that there are more than 200 billion stars present in the Milky Way Galaxy. But neuroscientists estimate the number of synaptic connections in the average 3-year-old is close to 1 quadrillion. After that, a refining process occurs, leaving the average adult with about half that many, or roughly 500 trillion synapses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,156 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

py2006 wrote: »
    The cast of Friends make $20 million a year from syndication revenue. The show finished in 2004.

The show seinfeld has earned more than $3BN in syndication since it finished. Jerry Seinfeld is worth around $900M, practically all of it from the show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement