Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Star Wars: The Mandalorian [** Spoilers **] [Disney+] (US Pace)

• 04-10-2018 10:47am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Confirmed to be the titled of the hitherto unnamed live-action Star Wars TV show; Jon Favreau posted on instagram, given set photos have already popped up so I expect more info to start trickling in.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BofTUzhBtrZ/
    After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe. The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far rom the authority of the New Republic....
    Post edited by The Black Oil on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sabine Wren?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bryce Dallas Howard, Taika Waititi, and More to Direct ‘Star Wars’ Live-Action TV Series..

Disney has revealed the first look and directors for its “Star Wars” streaming TV series “The Mandalorian.”

Dave Filoni, who has worked on “Star Wars: The Clone Wars” and “Star Wars Rebels,” will direct the first episode of the series. “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi, Bryce Dallas Howard, “Dope’s” Rick Famuyiwa, and Deborah Chow (“Jessica Jones”) will direct additional episodes.

As previously announced, Jon Favreau will write and executive produce the series. The plot details were first revealed on Wednesday, with Favreau teasing “The Mandalorian” on Instagram.

“After the stories of Jango and Boba Fett, another warrior emerges in the Star Wars universe,” read his post, in the style of a “Star Wars” opening crawl. “The Mandalorian is set after the fall of the Empire and before the emergence of the First Order. We follow the travails of a lone gunfighter in the outer reaches of the galaxy far from the authority of the New Republic.”

Favreau is executive producing the show, which is being developed for Disney’s as-yet untitled streaming service, along with Filoni, Kathleen Kennedy, and Colin Wilson. Karen Gilchrist will serve as co-executive producer.

News that Disney was developing the live-action series was first revealed by CEO Bob Iger in March. It’s one of several projects in the works for the growing “Star Wars” universe at the studio.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-wars-the-mandalorian-directors-first-look-1202969766/

First look.

mandalorian.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

IS that actually a scene from it?

It could just be a piece of art or computer graphics, hard to tell if its actually an actor in a suit or not, the CGI is that good these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: merging with thread that was started yesterday :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That's definitely not CGI. Looks the part from that single screenshot anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One things for sure: if Disney's (presumably initially US focused) streaming service doesn't get an international partner, it'll be one of the most pirated shows ever. Actually, even if it does it'll still be the biggest; the first 'proper' Star Wars TV show is a heck of a milestone.

Netflix is streaming Titans here, which implies the DC network won't be available here so maybe the same for this.
    I can see Sky getting the rights since they got other Star Wars shows. Though Disney mightn't be too keen after losing the Sky bid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

NIMAN wrote: »
    IS that actually a scene from it?

It could just be a piece of art or computer graphics, hard to tell if its actually an actor in a suit or not, the CGI is that good these days.

It is a real guy in a real suit. It might not be an actual scene - maybe it they just had him pose for a an announcement video but "production has begun" means it is shooting.

Faverau is writing all the episodes apparently that is an awesome list of directors - with the best man in charge of the first episode. :)

I thought shooting was a long way off yet - the is great news.

I don't think we need to worry about the whose or whens of seeing it over here - Disney will get that sorted as it won't want this pirated

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    One things for sure: if Disney's (presumably initially US focused) streaming service doesn't get an international partner, it'll be one of the most pirated shows ever. Actually, even if it does it'll still be the biggest; the first 'proper' Star Wars TV show is a heck of a milestone.

Why do they need a partner? Surely they can manage it by themselves?

Why do they need a partner? Surely they can manage it by themselves?

So many tv stations around the world have bought the rights to Disney films and tv shows for Disney to set up the worldwide steaming site just yet.

So they may need to a partner like Netflix or Amazon till they get back the rights

No point of having a worldwide streaming site when you have so little content to put on it would be my guess.

So many tv stations around the world have bought the rights to Disney films and tv shows for Disney to set up the worldwide steaming site just yet.

So they may need to a partner like Netflix or Amazon till they get back the rights

No point of having a worldwide streaming site when you have so little content to put on it would be my guess.

New original content like this might be enough to get it running.

Disney own a lot of stuff that has been out of circulation for years too.

BTW, there is DisneyLife. Can't Disney just put their new streaming series on that?

I hope there is going to be mix of real locations and actual alien worlds.

And aliens that aren't just background.

New original content like this might be enough to get it running.

Disney own a lot of stuff that has been out of circulation for years too.

BTW, there is DisneyLife. Can't Disney just put their new streaming series on that?

Disney won’t even have the rights to stream first 6 Star Wars films till 2024 in the States so that will give you an idea how complicated the rights are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Not sure if the whole thing is further complicated or simplified by the whole Disney / 20th century fox takeover. I'm assuming Sky would be the bus obstacle to streaming content to UK and Ireland.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Not sure if the whole thing is further complicated or simplified by the whole Disney / 20th century fox takeover. I'm assuming Sky would be the bus obstacle to streaming content to UK and Ireland.

Sky here will now be owned by Comcast who beat out Disney last week in the takeover.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Sky here will now be owned by Comcast who beat out Disney last week in the takeover.
    Hadn't realised comcast won the bidding war.

Wonder how long the Sky / Disney contract lasts so.

Disney won’t even have the rights to stream first 6 Star Wars films till 2024 in the States so that will give you an idea how complicated the rights are.

I know that but there is a lot of other content in Disney's vaults besides Princesses, Marvel and Star Wars.

And they already have streaming service over here.

They have enough for multiple channels here so sure they have enough for a service.
    And the stuff airing here is mostly recent so as was said, with all the stuff in the vault as well as new streaming material, they're sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Any back to the show , the Mandalorians always interested me since I played the Knights of the Old Republic Game on the x-box where you found out alot more about them and it has set after the Mandalorian wars so I'm really looking forward to this , I hope there isn't much clinging to the Fett's and its allowed to be it's own thing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Any back to the show , the Mandalorians always interested me since I played the Knights of the Old Republic Game on the x-box where you found out alot more about them and it has set after the Mandalorian wars so I'm really looking forward to this , I hope there isn't much clinging to the Fett's and its allowed to be it's own thing

Have you been watching Clone Wars and Rebels? There's a bunch of story there.

As Slydice said, there is a lot in the animated shows to learn about the Mandalorians. It is some of the best stories they told. And the upcoming Clone Wars final season will return to Mandolore.

And Faverau voiced Pre Vizla (a Mando vilain in Clone Wars) too.

The Mandolarian prime minister told Kenobi Jango feat "was no Mandolorian". I'm unclear as to whether that means Jango was just using stolen armour or whether his life as a mercenary was an embarrassment to his people so he was disowned.

I think we can expect some minor references to the Fetts - maybe this new guy gets mistaken for Boba a couple of times or something - but I don't think they will very much want this show to be it's own thing.

And I hope they are making a fun action adventure show - I love Force Awakens and Last Jedi but they are far too grim with Leia & Han's kid being evil and killing of Luke & Han. I think the writers were far to concerned with giving the heroes a good send off and missed that Mark Hamill has enough love and life in him to play Luke for the next few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Mandalorian — the title of which references a legendary tribe of warriors in Star Wars canon — will follow a “lone gunfighter” (played by Pascal) who becomes part of the Star Wars universe “after the stories of Jango and Boba Fett.”

https://tvline.com/2018/11/13/star-wars-tv-series-pedro-pascal-cast-the-mandalorian

Gina Carano joins the cast she won't need a stuntwoman to do her fight screens anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

More (exciting) cast members revealed; Giancarlo Esposito, Emily Swallow, Carl Weathers, Omid Abtahi, and Werner Herzog!

Some great casting there.

• Advertisement

Werner Herzog? Holy heck, my interest has immediately perked up. That's a fabulous piece of esoteric casting.

Advertisement