Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,094 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Hatch did not have a good look at all when dismissing the protesters. Telling them to grow up, shooing them and then waving bye bye.

Tone deaf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

The man is constantly at war with his own citizens. If you are not part of his narrow base and world view then you are the enemy. He has no concept of what a President is or how to tolerate diffenerces. Why are people falling for this? America has become a shadow of what it was.

Un-Employment jobless numbers were announced today and they hit 3.7%.. its been over 40 years since they saw that , and thats just one of the achievements of the Trump Administration... a shadow of itself.. I dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

everlast75 wrote: »
    we have witnesses on both sides contradicting each other.

If only the FBI could have spoken to the 40+ people who wanted to talk with them, instead of being curtailed on two fronts.

If you, like others here, thinks that the investigation by the FBI was full and thorough, I have a pile of magic beans to sell you.

A friend of CBF saying they felt pressured to change their original of knowing nothing.

Look back a week ago and see the people here who thought the FBI would finally wreck Brett Kavanaugh's nomination.
    Sell them your magic beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Un-Employment jobless numbers were announced today and they hit 3.7%.. its been over 40 years since they saw that , and thats just one of the achievements of the Trump Administration... a shadow of itself.. I dont think so

Yes indeed. Selling the children's future to create jobs so that you get re-elected is so patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The 'greatness' of a country is not measured in numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

RobertKK wrote: »
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/friend-of-dr-ford-felt-pressure-to-revisit-statement-1538715152

#IBelieveHer because I am gullible and unquestioning...lots of ??? over CBF.

I believe her because I found her to be credible giving her testimony, because Kavanaugh lied, because Ford passed a polygraph, because the stuff she did remember was backed up by Kavanuaghs calendar and Judge's book and because the FBI investigation was deliberately sabotaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

A friend of CBF saying they felt pressured to change their original of knowing nothing.

Look back a week ago and see the people here who thought the FBI would finally wreck Brett Kavanaugh's nomination.
    Sell them your magic beans.

The people a week ago who thought the Investigation would wreck his nomination did not know at that time that the White House would initially limit the number of witnesses who could be talked to to four and once they were caught out in the lie that they were not limiting it, lied again and then expanded it to 10.

There are 40+ people who wanted to speak to them

They are all facts. Granted, they don't fit your narrative, but please don't let that stop you.

And as for what that limited and hamstrung investigation found, was printed out in one report and each senator was given 5 minutes to read it, without pen or paper to take notes.

Transparency at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nobody can complain about the jobless numbers, the lower the better.

But firstly, I didn't think Trump believed any of these numbers, so its hard to put on credence on them now.

But, 184k jobs were created last month, which is down on expectations. And it is continuing on a new 8 years trend of net job increases.

What people are questioning, is the longer term price to be paid for these jobs. If they are based on short terms gains due to trade war or exchange rate then they cannot be sustained. So the question is, what policies has Trump rolled out that have resulted in him making a difference.

That is not a dig at the numbers, but it is important that we understand if this is something that he is doing, and thus can control, or something that is happening regardless, and thus outside of his control.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Nobody can complain about the jobless numbers, the lower the better.

But firstly, I didn't think Trump believed any of these numbers, so its hard to put on credence on them now.

But, 184k jobs were created last month, which is down on expectations. And it is continuing on a new 8 years trend of net job increases.

What people are questioning, is the longer term price to be paid for these jobs. If they are based on short terms gains due to trade war or exchange rate then they cannot be sustained. So the question is, what policies has Trump rolled out that have resulted in him making a difference.

That is not a dig at the numbers, but it is important that we understand if this is something that he is doing, and thus can control, or something that is happening regardless, and thus outside of his control.

Thats an interesting position to take, asserting that a countrys record stock market, a record jobs market, a record low unemployment rate , a consumer confidence near record highs , the list goes on are NOT the result of the policies of the administration in power.

Do you have an example of that, a developed nation seeing a booming economy and none of it is the result of the policies of their government.

When the next batch of economists come thru, the ones who didnt pin their flag to the mast of the anti-Trump ship , they will write the history of how the Trump Administration achieved this remarkable turnaround with broad economic strokes and policies and a multi-faceted approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Initial voting underway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

we have witnesses on both sides contradicting each other.

If only the FBI could have spoken to the 40+ people who wanted to talk with them, instead of being curtailed on two fronts.

If you, like others here, thinks that the investigation by the FBI was full and thorough, I have a pile of magic beans to sell you.

When you consider that there have been 6 previous background checks of the man's life and past, you consider the breadth of his alleged crimes, when you add to that this an international story which involved an allegation that would have at least many people who could corroborate incriminating details, do you think it is likely that nothing has been corroborated?

Politics aside, do you think in a couple of months, say the Swetnick claim has not had a single detail corroborated, will you feel differently? I've said I'd feel a lot differently if the spiked punch claim has even one other person to corroborate it. Just from a probability standpoint I feel like it's highly unlikely it happened. With the single victim crimes it's a bit more difficult, but Swetnick's claim should be easier for reasonable people to assess imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Thats an interesting position to take, asserting that a countrys record stock market, a record jobs market, a record low unemployment rate , a consumer confidence near record highs , the list goes on are NOT the result of the policies of the administration in power.

Do you have an example of that, a developed nation seeing a booming economy and none of it is the result of the policies of their government.

When the next batch of economists come thru, the ones who didnt pin their flag to the mast of the anti-Trump ship , they will write the history of how the Trump Administration achieved this remarkable turnaround with broad economic strokes and policies and a multi-faceted approach.

Or intelligent economists might write about how he beggared the country by borrowing way beyond its means for short-term political gains, gave corporate tax cuts to his cronies paid for by entitlement cuts for the poor, failed to provide healthcare for ordinary people and destroyed the world's last chance to halt fatal climate change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Job Statistics are nearly always altered, fluffed, amended and so on; it's a standard tactic of any government to make the job numbers look good 'cos they're one aspect of an economy's health most demonstrable to the man or woman on the street. It shouldn't need saying that any statistic coming from the Trump administration should be treated to the same scepticism that would be applied to any other government, in any nation.

Cheering from the rafters without deep diving into where those numbers are coming from is folly, and betrays a bias more obvious and foolhardy than any contrary accusation of 'anti-Trump'. Yet as is normal, here we are with some folk.

Governments fudge the numbers; it's kinda what they're good at.

And scepticism is particularly important in this era of the obnoxiously titled 'gig economy', where 'job' no longer equates to financial security or permanence. Oh the job numbers might be up, but people may not be spending more or living better. 100,000 'gigs' aren't worth much against (say) proper, permanent roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's great to see Donald continue the good work of the Obama administration, isn't it?

When you consider that there have been 6 previous background checks of the man's life and past, you consider the breadth of his alleged crimes, when you add to that this an international story which involved an allegation that would have at least many people who could corroborate incriminating details, do you think it is likely that nothing has been corroborated?

Politics aside, do you think in a couple of months, say the Swetnick claim has not had a single detail corroborated, will you feel differently? I've said I'd feel a lot differently if the spiked punch claim has even one other person to corroborate it. Just from a probability standpoint I feel like it's highly unlikely it happened. With the single victim crimes it's a bit more difficult, but Swetnick's claim should be easier for reasonable people to assess imo.

It's important to understand what a background check entails. I heard it explained yesterday. They check the bona fides of your qualifications and work history, they interview your previous lecturers and managers, they interview your references. I'm not sure why a back ground check would have revealed any of the sexual assault allegations unless Kavanaugh used one of his victims as a reference.

Murkowski is a no, but Flake/Collins and Manchin (red state democrat) is a yes.

I wonder if Murkowski's no will influence Flake/Collins come the final vote?

I believe her because I found her to be credible giving her testimony, because Kavanaugh lied, because Ford passed a polygraph, because the stuff she did remember was backed up by Kavanuaghs calendar and Judge's book and because the FBI investigation was deliberately sabotaged.

She lied during her testimony about the polygraph, and did help others in how to pass one. probably why they are inadmissible in a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Pelvis wrote: »
    Murkowski is a no, but Flake/Collins and Manchin (red state democrat) is a yes.

I wonder if Murkowski's no will influence Flake/Collins come the final vote?

Collins said how she votes in Cloture might not be how she votes in the end, she has a presser at 3pm EST to announce her position.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Collins said how she votes in Cloture might not be how she votes in the end, she has a presser at 3pm EST to announce her position.
    True, both Collins and Murkowski voted yes for Betsy Devos in Cloture but voted no in the end.

Even if she does vote no, as Manchin is voting yes I think they'll need Flake to flip also.

She lied during her testimony about the polygraph, and did help others in how to pass one. probably why they are inadmissible in a court.

What lie did she tell about her polygraph?

I wonder how Pence will vote if it goes 50-50. I wouldn't be so sure on a yes from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ireland circa 2004/5

What lie did she tell about her polygraph?

I wonder how Pence will vote if it goes 50-50. I wouldn't be so sure on a yes from him.

Her ex boyfriend of 6 years had this to say:
    Former federal prosecutor Joseph Moreno discusses how Christine Blasey Ford’s ex-boyfriend claimed that Ford had helped her friend prepare for a polygraph test, despite her testimony that she had never given polygraph "tips or advice."

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/christine-blasey-ford-ex-boyfriend-224711993.html

He also said she has no fear of flying and never once during their 6 year relationship mentioned anything about being sexually assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,545 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

All I asked was for examples of the policies that have led to this. What difference have Trumps policies made that Obama's policies weren't already making?

I would have thought it a fairly simple question to answer, but yet again you fail to give any actual answer and instead go on on some tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Anyhoo, enough of Kavanaugh's hypocrisy, and more from Trump.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1048196883464818688

And here's the explanation behind that tweet

https://twitter.com/dave_brown24/status/1048203910010294272

Her ex boyfriend of 6 years had this to say:

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/christine-blasey-ford-ex-boyfriend-224711993.html

He also said she has no fear of flying and never once during their 6 year relationship mentioned anything about being sexually assaulted.

Did the author back up his claims when questioned by the FBI or the senate committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

It's great to see Donald continue the good work reaping the benefits of the Obama administration, isn't it?

Had to fix that post .... The reckless overspending by Trump is gonna hurt somewhere down the line ..probably from 2020 and then he can tweet from Trump tower that everything was better when he was president

• Registered Users Posts: 19,220 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Double standard number 1.
    So if she lied because her ex-boyfriend said so, can we therefore assume you will believe Kavanaugh's room mate who said he was an aggresive drunk, said that the Renatee was not a friendship reference and that Kavanaugh and everyone else knew what a devil's triangle was.

I mean, if you believe her ex-boyfriend and that means she is lying, then we should believe his ex-room mate and Kavanaugh was lying.

Double standard number 2.
    You dismiss the polygraph, yet do not acknowledge that the candidate Judge in question values them when determining cases before him, but dismissed the idea of taking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Double standard number 1.
    So if she lied because her ex-boyfriend said so, can we therefore assume you will believe Kavanaugh's room mate who said he was an aggresive drunk, said that the Renatee was not a friendship reference and that Kavanaugh and everyone else knew what a devil's triangle was.

I mean, if you believe her ex-boyfriend and that means she is lying, then we should believe his ex-room mate and Kavanaugh was lying.

Double standard number 2.
    You dismiss the polygraph, yet do not acknowledge that the candidate Judge in question values them when determining cases before him, but dismissed the idea of taking them.

And even on double standard one, the woman who she supposedly helped with the polygraph test said she didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jesus, could you imagine Pence voting no in the event of a tie. That would throw the White House into chaos especially as Trump can't fire him.

Unlikely to happen but I'd love to see it for the pure drama and Donald's tweets - "Pathetic Pence is a democrat puppet. Sad!"

• Advertisement

Pence will vote yes if he ever wants to be President.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement