Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

And even on double standard one, the woman who she supposedly helped with the polygraph test said she didn't.

Yeah but I'm pretty sure that they believe that a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's /s.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,110 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pelvis wrote: »
    True, both Collins and Murkowski voted yes for Betsy Devos in Cloture but voted no in the end.

Even if she does vote no, as Manchin is voting yes I think they'll need Flake to flip also.

I don't see Murkowski voting yes after this as she has no political reason to, she is untouchable when it comes to the wrath of Mitch etc.

However the Dems need 2 from Collins, Flake and Manchen and that's really hard to see happening. Flake for me is nearly certain to vote yes and then Collins from the sounds she is making is a yes. Manchin is popular in his red state and has a nice lead so I don't see how he gets hurt politically voting yes. He's to the right when it comes to a lot of issues anyhow.

It is proof though if Manchin votes yes then Chuck is useless, all he had to do was hold the line and hope some Republicans flipped. He had one person to work on and it looks like he could not even get him in line. Dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Pelvis wrote: »
    Pence will vote yes if he ever wants to be President.

I would say the opposite. he needs Donald to be impeached if he wants to take the top job. 2020 is nowhere near a sure thing for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah but I'm pretty sure that they believe that a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's /s.

You're dealing with a small but powerful demographic that still sees genders in very ... 'traditionalist' views, mixed up with this narrative of women as essentially being victims or creatures to protect and coddle; breadwinners, white knights etc.. there to shield, or indeed cage. Then you add in the particularly nasty strain of Christian chastity & piety that quietly insinuates a woman might have deserved any assault - given that pure, good people neither rape or get raped. It's messed up and goes way beyond a Supreme Court nomination really (witness Kavaunagh's own tactic of emphasising his virginity and all the women he didn't rape). So stands to reason that within this toxic mindset, any woman who stands up for herself, has the temerity to be empowered, or even confrontational, is either hysterical or impure - and thus easily discounted. IMO it's a big part in why women have tended not to run for the Presidency.

Curious question here - what if the AMA disbar him?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

everlast75 wrote: »

Interesting. This could give wavering republicans an out. Though the last line to the effect that the original rating still stands will be seized upon by republicans. Without that last line, this would have been hugely powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,436 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

51/49 in favour so looks like Trump will have his way and Democracy gets another nail in it's coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,360 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So he can be a supreme court judge but be turfed out of the Bar Association. Curiouser and curiouser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

So he can be a supreme court judge but be turfed out of the Bar Association. Curiouser and curiouser.

They are re-opening their consideration of his rating with respect to suitability for the SC job. Thats a long long way from turfing him out of the ABA, or disbarring him.

51/49 in favour so looks like Trump will have his way and Democracy gets another nail in it's coffin.
    One Republican and one Democrat voted against party. Decisive vote is on Saturday.

drkpower wrote: »
    They are re-opening their consideration of his rating with respect to suitability for the SC job. Thats a long long way from turfing him out of the ABA, or disbarring him.

Indeed. But it's on the road to turfing him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,161 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well if the ABA rate him as unsuitable, that will look very odd to have the Senate endorse him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Nermal

Double standard number 1.
    So if she lied because her ex-boyfriend said so, can we therefore assume you will believe Kavanaugh's room mate who said he was an aggresive drunk, said that the Renatee was not a friendship reference and that Kavanaugh and everyone else knew what a devil's triangle was.

I mean, if you believe her ex-boyfriend and that means she is lying, then we should believe his ex-room mate and Kavanaugh was lying.

Double standard number 2.
    You dismiss the polygraph, yet do not acknowledge that the candidate Judge in question values them when determining cases before him, but dismissed the idea of taking them.

Indeed, it's almost as if a criminal trial were the proper place for allegations of this nature, rather than the media circus and grandstanding politicians...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Double standard number 1.
    So if she lied because her ex-boyfriend said so, can we therefore assume you will believe Kavanaugh's room mate who said he was an aggresive drunk, said that the Renatee was not a friendship reference and that Kavanaugh and everyone else knew what a devil's triangle was.

I mean, if you believe her ex-boyfriend and that means she is lying, then we should believe his ex-room mate and Kavanaugh was lying.

Double standard number 2.
    You dismiss the polygraph, yet do not acknowledge that the candidate Judge in question values them when determining cases before him, but dismissed the idea of taking them.

Polygraphs can't be used to decide a trial, with coaching one can fake a polygraph test.

So if she lied, then you would still #IBelieveHer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Sweet Christmas. The man is lethal.

n an interview with The Washington Post published Friday, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said that Trump thought nuclear devastation was on its way shortly after he was elected. While discussing national security with the president at the White House, Graham said he was concerned about how to handle America's relationship with North Korea. Just then, footage of a missile launch came on the TV nearby. Before Trump declared himself "in love" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, he had less trust in the isolated nation's commitment to denuclearization. Despite the fact that Trump would be one of the very first people to know about a hypothetical nuclear attack, he thought that Fox News was reporting an incoming missile. In reality, it was an old clip the channel was using for a regular news segment.
    "That's old footage, old footage!" Graham recalls telling Trump. The senator said he changed his mind about the president and became his ally for just this reason — to make sure Trump doesn't wrongly believe he needs to rush to his nuclear button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Un-Employment jobless numbers were announced today and they hit 3.7%.. its been over 40 years since they saw that , and thats just one of the achievements of the Trump Administration... a shadow of itself.. I dont think so

Unemployment rate only dropped because more people are out of labor force and have stopped looking for work. Not a real recovery. Real number is around 42%.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jeff flake is saying he will vote yes baring something big coming up between the vote and Lisa murkowski has says she'll vote No on judge Kavanagh.

So is Susan Collins the crucial vote ? I know joe manchin is a democrat but is likely to vote yes although he said he hadn't finished reviewing the report yet.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Polygraphs can't be used to decide a trial, with coaching one can fake a polygraph test.

So if she lied, then you would still #IBelieveHer ?

You seem to be ignoring all my previous posts.

Perhaps you have amnesia.

So I'll pose a different question to you.

"If" she lied about it, which i don't think she did just because her ex accused her of something, which is disputed, but putting all that aside

1) do you think Kavanaugh lied at any stage throughout the proceedings
    2) if so do you think that disqualifies him and lastly
    3) do you think the partisan comments should stop him from ascending, as per a republican former SCOTUS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

There seems to be a lot of incidents where you think that Trump will not survive the fallout only for something else to happen. In 2 weeks time, Kavanaugh will be forgotten about as we move onto the next debacle. So what do you think have been the top 5 issues since his candidacy? Separating kids from their parents at the border? Russia collusion? Increasing the budget deficit? America's standing in the world? Climate change? By way of balance, name a positive for him. North Korea? Unemployment? Economy? Trade deals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

blackcard wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of incidents where you think that Trump will not survive the fallout only for something else to happen. In 2 weeks time, Kavanaugh will be forgotten about as we move onto the next debacle. So what do you think have been the top 5 issues since his candidacy? Separating kids from their parents at the border? Russia collusion? Increasing the budget deficit? America's standing in the world? Climate change? By way of balance, name a positive for him. North Korea? Unemployment? Economy? Trade deals?

For me his legacy and greatest sin is climate change. He has put the USA back years at a time when science is warning us that we don't have that amount time to waste if we are to arrest global warming.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post deleted. No more name calling please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Post deleted. No more name calling please.

What's this all about? I didn't call any boards.ie member a bad name.

ok. Let me try this again.

His legacy? Mostly for disparaging women and being a racist. Or is that name calling too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,574 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

FatherTed wrote: »
    What's this all about? I didn't call any boards.ie member a bad name.

ok. Let me try this again.

His legacy? Mostly for disparaging women and being a racist. Or is that name calling too?

Merely posting insults isn't good debate. No more discussion of this please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

You seem to be ignoring all my previous posts.

Perhaps you have amnesia.

So I'll pose a different question to you.

"If" she lied about it, which i don't think she did just because her ex accused her of something, which is disputed, but putting all that aside

1) do you think Kavanaugh lied at any stage throughout the proceedings
    2) if so do you think that disqualifies him and lastly
    3) do you think the partisan comments should stop him from ascending, as per a republican former SCOTUS?

You are trying to get away that Christine Blasey Ford is a liar. You have diverted away from her to Kavanaugh.

So many holes in her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ok sure but I just want to let it be known I did not call any board member any names as your previous comment implies. Thank you.

RobertKK wrote: »
    You are trying to get away that Christine Blasey Ford is a liar. You have diverted away from her to Kavanaugh.

So many holes in her story.

Ain't nobody gonna watch that. Provide your own argument.

So in an hour we know if Kav gets the spot as Collins will declare how she votes. If she is a yes then its game over.

I think its a yes as she has made some positive noises towards him since the investigation.

Anyone else disagree?

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    So in an hour we know if Kav gets the spot as Collins will declare how she votes. If she is a yes then its game over.

I think its a yes as she has made some positive noises towards him since the investigation.

Anyone else disagree?

Flake indicating that he will vote yes which means Kavanaugh almost certainly in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement