Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking forward to budget.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Emme wrote: »
    OK then. It seems that some pay restorations are more equal than others.

That's how percentages work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ace2007 wrote: »
    I take it you've never been to a third world country - been a little bit more than dramatic with that comment.

Luas is run by a private operator last time I checked so they can pay whatever they wanted. Problem is thought they serve the public and can strike their way to more money and don't give a sh!t who they annoy. The majority of people who serve the public could do the same, except the majority won't play the nuclear card cause they think of others.

I think that's been categorically disproven

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Idbatterim wrote: »
    It’s hilarious, during the last boom, they had billions to throw everywhere each budget. Now because of massive budget demands from most departments, the minuscule tax decreases and even welfare hikes, though im against them , wouldn’t even cover inflation!

Budget 2018 a worker on e30k received a e1.50 a week usc cut, while welfare wasters received a e5 week! Expect more of the same in budget 2019! Varadkar doing what he does best , ie lying!

No he wasn't lying - how dare you - he was just on about those who get out of bed early to sign on. Shame on you if you misinterpreted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

How about instead of getting our fiver we all get to nominate where the fiver we are forgoing goes, could be anything the local GAA club, roadworks, social housing, specific education or health initiatives and so on.

Nobody is going to miss a fiver and we would all get some sense of control over when a tiny bit of our money goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

In last week's The Irish Field (horse industry publication) we had the usual article asking for an increase in tax on betting, with vague references to online gambling and helping problem gamblers.
    Besides telling the government to tax their customers, they also want the government to give the proceeds to the horse industry.
    I assume all betting taxes on soccer, GAA, horseracing, other sports should go to the horse industry, because, like, employment and stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

SteM wrote: »
    Can someone explain this line to me please?

What does 'and demographics' mean in this context?
    More old people (pensions, medical card, travel pass, fuel allowance), more young people (schools, children's allowance, GP cards), more babies (maternity payments, less tax take) etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

public sector getting a huge chunk as per..while productivity decreases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Specialun wrote: »

Productivity has actually increased. I can't go on the sick as often as I used to.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    We have defence forces personnel amongst others, paid a pittance. Nurses and doctors rightfully leaving the country in droves. Working people. Low income earners over e34k losing half their salary over that amount, insane anti worker, anti enterprise rates. Rubbish infrastructure, massive national debt. I think it’s fair to ask why the over the top world class welfare rates should be hiked one F*cking red cent , given the state of affairs here !

Yeah good point, we should get rid of the defense forces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ace2007 wrote: »
    You would soon be finding a job if you knew your SW was going to be cut to €21.60 a week.

Thankfully, that'll never happen. I was on jobseekers benefit for a few months this year and it was difficult enough to get by on €198 a week. The figures are currently being massaged to suggest that we have full employment (people on 'activation schemes' like the disastrously wasteful and unhelpful 'Jobpath' are removed from the live register, despite still being unemployed), but the truth is that it can take time to actually find a job. I got lucky after months of searching, but Jesus, the whole process was soul-destroying.

tl;dr? You can fuck right off with your "you'd soon be finding a job" bullshit and just be thankful that you have one.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Screw the worker even more to fund the fleadh for the rock and rollers. The Cash one for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Jimmy. wrote: »
    Screw the worker even more to fund the fleadh for the rock and rollers. The Cash one for example.

Go on the rock and roll then, and reap the colossal 198 euro :rolleyes:

Go on the rock and roll then, and reap the colossal 198 euro :rolleyes:

You only able to count to 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭enricoh

Increase stealth taxes to increase social welfare and public sector pay. Employers have to increase pay to compete with the dole and the public sector. Making Ireland less competitive.

Increase in diesel just before brexit kicks off a right kick in the nuts for hauliers, farmers , fishermen etc... The unsung grafters in the country.

Hotel vat rate increased just cos Dublin hotels are overpriced. Should help close cafes, restaurants pubs and hotels around the country that are barely hanging on. Whatever money is made by increasing it should cover increased numbers on the dole and less income tax!

Time for another bust n let the imf run the show! No budgets that have to buy a few votes with them boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Specialun wrote: »

Pay restoration , for the money that was cut previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,743 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

enricoh wrote: »
    Increase stealth taxes to increase social welfare and public sector pay. Employers have to increase pay to compete with the dole and the public sector. Making Ireland less competitive.

Private sector employers do not have to compete with wages in the public sector. Because there are about six times as many employed in the private sector. They have to compete with each other. And at the top end, salaries in the private sector are many multiples of what anyone can earn in the public sector.

Can you give an example of a stealth tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It’s just a holdover budget while they hope and pray things keep going well into 2019, when we have a huge bond rollover and can get far more favorable rates, pending a favorable debt to GDP ratio. If that comes to pass, they can then start the real spending on projects like Dublin Metro, Galway Ring, M20/NRR.

snotboogie wrote: »
    It’s just a holdover budget while they hope and pray things keep going well into 2019, when we have a huge bond rollover and can get far more favorable rates, pending a favorable debt to GDP ratio. If that comes to pass, they can then start the real spending on projects like Dublin Metro, Galway Ring, M20/NRR.

It will be all spent on council houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

If hotel vat rate increases, and wedding is booked and deposit paid for next year, could the hotel increase the cost of the wedding to include the increase?

If hotel vat rate increases, and wedding is booked and deposit paid for next year, could the hotel increase the cost of the wedding to include the increase?

They will of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,278 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Jimmy. wrote: »
    They will of course.

Aye.

And understandably.

Tax is based on when the activity takes place. Not when you booked.

The dildo is always hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

noodler wrote: »
    Aye.

And understandably.

Tax is based on when the activity takes place. Not when you booked.

And if I paid the remaining balance beforehand, would it still increase?

And if I paid the remaining balance beforehand, would it still increase?

Wait to see what happens in the budget. If the VAT rate goes up, contact the hotel to discuss the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's going to be fun looking for the issue that will cause FF to go off in a huff, only for the government to modify it somehow and make FF look like a hero (as if FF won't know the full details before it comes out). Watch for the FF politicians sticking their necks out on budget day to see which item causes the most "outrage".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,473 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Pay restoration , for the money that was cut previously.

Restoring to the unsustainable levels caused by the previous housing bubble you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

astrofool wrote: »
    Restoring to the unsustainable levels caused by the previous housing bubble you mean?

What a waste of time and effort that Croke Park charade inevitably turned out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

astrofool wrote: »
    It's going to be fun looking for the issue that will cause FF to go off in a huff, only for the government to modify it somehow and make FF look like a hero (as if FF won't know the full details before it comes out). Watch for the FF politicians sticking their necks out on budget day to see which item causes the most "outrage".

Yep. The routine is getting old.

Oh you wont increase the pension till March.
    Huff!!!!
    Media!!!!!
    Look look increase in mid February.

No need to thank us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I judge a government by its actions rather than its words. By that measure, looking at the budget, we appear to have a centre-left government.

- 2:1 spending/taxes
    - Union demands met
    - Tax bands unlikely to be indexed with inflation
    - Welfare increases to meet/exceed inflation
    - Concessions to the middle classes to be clawed back in other tax increases

There are parties whose main interest is the low-paid and the unpaid, but no party fights for the interests of the middle classes.

This is all fine for now, but at some stage there'll be a party to fill that gap in the market. When the day comes, I hope it won't be a party too far to the right (e.g. a mirror image of the PBP/AAA-type groups). We'll see. It's happened in other countries when large groups felt unrepresented.

• Advertisement

animaal wrote: »
    I judge a government by its actions rather than its words. By that measure, looking at the budget, we appear to have a centre-left government.

- 2:1 spending/taxes
    - Union demands met
    - Tax bands unlikely to be indexed with inflation
    - Welfare increases to meet/exceed inflation
    - Concessions to the middle classes to be clawed back in other tax increases

There are parties whose main interest is the low-paid and the unpaid, but no party fights for the interests of the middle classes.

This is all fine for now, but at some stage there'll be a party to fill that gap in the market. When the day comes, I hope it won't be a party too far to the right (e.g. a mirror image of the PBP/AAA-type groups). We'll see. It's happened in other countries when large groups felt unrepresented.

Middle can mean different things to different people. Middle income is €70K to €80K for a full time working couple in my view. What do you mean by middle?

Advertisement