Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking forward to budget.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Xcellor wrote: »
    Glad to see measures to help the squeezed middle. Increases on the price of fuels and coal etc. Those who are forced to move further away from their jobs because they can't afford accommodation end up getting hit because there is no viable alternative than to drive.

I'm expecting this budget will put a few euro back in one pocket while robbing a few notes from the other.

https://www.independent.ie/business/budget/diesel-coal-and-cigarettes-everything-we-know-about-budget-2019-so-far-37375162.html
    Sarcasm or I'm confused.

Same as evey other year, rich get richer etc, HSE will squander billions while getting worse etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

2.6 Billion in public sector pay hikes.

I'd like to see the break down of that, if actually true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭SteM

Can someone explain this line to me please?
    The Government has €3.4bn for new spending next year, but €2.6bn of this has already been committed for public sector pay hikes and demographics.

What does 'and demographics' mean in this context?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

The Government is also likely to push the line that Ireland is viewed as lagging behind when it comes to actively tackling climate change.

Carbon tax is used internationally as a way of changing habits and encouraging people to use more green energy.

What "carbon tax" is being levied towards farming given its large contribution to emissions. Is "green diesel" going to be taxed? Is the production of animals going to be levied too?

Why is changing habits only about what motor vehicle people drive and not what food we consume? Tax on high carbon + environmentally unfriendly foods...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just hope they use some lube when then fcuk me over again.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Just hope they use some lube when then fcuk me over again.

The bad news is that they won't use lube because they have given themselves another pay hike so won't be able to afford lube when they screw over the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Quote:

Quote "The Government is also likely to push the line that Ireland is viewed as lagging behind when it comes to actively tackling climate change.

Carbon tax is used internationally as a way of changing habits and encouraging people to use more green energy"

Except in this country carbon tax is used as means of clawing back the paltry few euro they give back with absolutely zero other initiatives to encourage greener vehicle or energy use.

Carbon tax should be outlawed by Europe when its just another tax. The government have spent next to nothing on encouraging EV's or providing more charging points. I wouldn't buy an EV as the scant few charging points ALWAYS have a car parked in them when ever I pass them. The government couldn't care less about green or environmental issues, theyre only interested in taking more money off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭mikemac2

The rush to buy cigarettes before midnight

The publicans & hotels raising their prices immediately but if tax was ever cut they cry we bought the stock already bla bla

Should be a right cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

SteM wrote: »

Incremental payments maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

A week early.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

SteM wrote: »
    The Government has €3.4bn for new spending next year, but €2.6bn of this has already been committed for public sector pay hikes and demographics.

OAP's

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It’s hilarious, during the last boom, they had billions to throw everywhere each budget. Now because of massive budget demands from most departments, the minuscule tax decreases and even welfare hikes, though im against them , wouldn’t even cover inflation!

Budget 2018 a worker on e30k received a e1.50 a week usc cut, while welfare wasters received a e5 week! Expect more of the same in budget 2019! Varadkar doing what he does best , ie lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,832 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    OAP's

Greater numbers of them as the population ages.

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    OAP's
    The independent alliance now want oap exempted from lpt. Fg ff are concerned about just how vocal the ia are for pensioners and their to hell with everyone position. That’s saying something coming from fg and ff who will both want the pensioners vote and bend over backwards for it ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Any chance of introducing a pyjama/dressing gown tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Christ. If it’s 2.6B a year and increasing we are screwed.

Ff can get stuffed with their 2/1 sprnfing v tax cuts. It should be fifty / fifty. If I had my way, it would only be tax cuts. The departments value for money is appalling , simply freeze it and watch them get better use of the fortunes they are handed!

Christ. If it’s 2.6B a year and increasing we are screwed.

Yeah I’m concerned the exact same mistakes are being made , maybe a bit more restrained this time. But what happens it the **** hits the fan this time? Last time national debt was minuscule, this time it’s off the wall. Even with the booming economy, many are increasingly worse off ... of the **** hits the fan again , lol if they need another bailout. They would certainly have to make hard decisions next time round , unlike last time !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SW increases I'd say for those who can't/don't want to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Your Face wrote: »
    2.6 Billion in public sector pay hikes.

I'd like to see the break down of that, if actually true.

Pay restoration, .5% for people under 30k in Jan, 1.75% for everyone in September as well as the new entrant adjustments.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Yeah I’m concerned the exact same mistakes are being made , maybe a bit more restrained this time. But what happens it the **** hits the fan this time? Last time national debt was minuscule, this time it’s off the wall. Even with the booming economy, many are increasingly worse off ... of the **** hits the fan again , lol if they need another bailout. They would certainly have to make hard decisions next time round , unlike last time !

Hard decisions on pensions will, I guarantee you, affect future pensioners. Us.

Pay restoration, .5% for people under 30k in Jan, 1.75% for everyone in September as well as the new entrant adjustments.

Hmm. Well let’s hope that’s most of the 2.6B and is a once off.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    SW increases I'd say for those who can't/don't want to work.

We have defence forces personnel amongst others, paid a pittance. Nurses and doctors rightfully leaving the country in droves. Working people. Low income earners over e34k losing half their salary over that amount, insane anti worker, anti enterprise rates. Rubbish infrastructure, massive national debt. I think it’s fair to ask why the over the top world class welfare rates should be hiked one F*cking red cent , given the state of affairs here !

Hmm. Well let’s hope that’s most of the 2.6B and is a once off.

More pay restoration in 2020 and 2021, it's in the pay and pension act 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

The government couldn't care less about green or environmental issues, theyre only interested in taking more money off people.

The longer people sit in traffic and the more people commute long distances to work the higher the potential tax take for carbon taxes. Also anyone who uses public transport will be hit (except free travel pass holders of course). My annual rail ticket has gone up something like €300 per annum. It's a win-win for the government. Add to this the ridiculous time it's taking for the 3rd lane to be added to the M7 - more travel time, more carbon tax.

The government are screwing taxpayers to the hilt and giving them nothing in return while giving OAPs, single parents and those on jobseekers' allowance more every budget. Is this because taxpayers are too wrecked from working to go and vote in elections or else they are on the road and can't get to polling stations? OAPs and those not working have plenty of time to go and vote. The government seems to be planning its budget policies using this logic.
    More pay restoration in 2020 and 2021, it's in the pay and pension act 2017.

For many this is not in line with inflation and despite popular opinion not all public servants are guaranteed increments.

People attack teachers, nurses, firefighters, hospital, council, corporation and university workers when public service pay increases are mentioned but the reality is most of it goes to Leinster House (they've awarded themselves a pay rise already) while the rest of us get a paltry 1 or if we're lucky 2 per cent which isn't in line with inflation and certainly isn't in line with the extra taxes they keep saddling us with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

They know well the majority of people have diesels these days because we're all so broke. Cheers government!!

Emme wrote: »

People attack teachers, nurses, firefighters, hospital, council, corporation and university workers when public service pay increases are mentioned but the reality is most of it goes to Leinster House (they've awarded themselves a pay rise already) while the rest of us get a paltry 1 or 2 per cent which isn't in line with inflation and certainly isn't in line with the extra taxes they keep saddling us with.

What's the wage bill for Leinster house, how many billions?

TDs are paid on point 5 of the principal officer in the civil service scale. Pay restoration means they get a bump along with every other civil servant in the country. AFAIK Varadker and co have not accepted the bump.

What's the wage bill for Leinster house, how many billions?

TDs are paid on point 5 of the principal officer in the civil service scale. Pay restoration means they get a bump along with every other civil servant in the country. AFAIK Varadker and co have not accepted the bump.

Yes, they hit the same 1% as the rest.

• Advertisement

How many of us will be getting a f**cking Christmas bonus?! The young and relatively are being hammered to pay for the decades of pensioner buy offs and they continue to do it. And then you have those whom some class as “the vulnerable “ the wasters with guaranteed incomes, no job, no commute, no stress, no debt or serious debt anyway.

I reckon it will come to a head, that the continual decline in living standards for many , to keep the other group nice and cosy , won’t be tolerated forever!

Advertisement