Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Loved the line from Darren Clarke (I think): "Bet the guy who carves the name in the trophy is glad Schauffele didn't win".:P

I don't mind Darren, think he was a lot more relaxed compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I really missed it not being shown on traditional channel BBC or whatever. It was a classic last round. I had the Open app going but the live commentary part of it didn't give the time of the last updates so was useless really.

I would have been glued to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bobbyss wrote: »
    I really missed it not being shown on traditional channel BBC or whatever. It was a classic last round. I had the Open app going but the live commentary part of it didn't give the time of the last updates so was useless really.

same

was full sure that the weekend at least would have been on the BBC

The Open on the BBC has always been associated with summer in my mind - same way as Wimbledon I suppose. Sad to see it gone the way of every other pay to view event.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

bobbyss wrote: »

In fairness to Sky, I thought they did the coverage of the Open, (and other European Tour events), very well and compares favourably with what the BeeB used to do.
    This is in complete contrast to the coverage they take from the Golf Channel, (or wherever), of the US PGA events. I get it very hard to watch those American channels with all their commercial breaks, interviews, bloody awful commentary and very little actual golf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

lawred2 wrote: »
    same

The Open on the BBC has always been associated with summer in my mind - same way as Wimbledon I suppose. Sad to see it gone the way of every other pay to view event.

Are the BBC broadcasting the US PGA next month? As far as I remember they did last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭bren2001

Are the BBC broadcasting the US PGA next month? As far as I remember they did last year.

See here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057763519&page=7

But in short, nothing has been confirmed. Rumors are that Eleven Sports won the rights for UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

lawred2 wrote: »

I thought so too, is this the first year it wasn't? But to be honest I'd probably have stuck with Sky even if it was, except for the ads or whatever. I've been watching Sky golf so long now Ewen, Bruce etc. sound just as reliable and reassuring as the Beeb crowd.

I thought so too, is this the first year it wasn't? But to be honest I'd probably have stuck with Sky even if it was, except for the ads or whatever. I've been watching Sky golf so long now Ewen, Bruce etc. sound just as reliable and reassuring as the Beeb crowd.

The BBC have not broadcast the Open live since 2015. Highlights only since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The BBC have not broadcast the Open live since 2015. Highlights only since 2016.

Oh right, I thought they had been showing the last few hours on Sunday (and maybe Saturday) live up till this year.

Oh right, I thought they had been showing the last few hours on Sunday (and maybe Saturday) live up till this year.

No.They still show the last two rounds of the Masters live though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Where was Rob Lee? Does he just do US tour events now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,202 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Roger_007 wrote: »
    In fairness to Sky, I thought they did the coverage of the Open, (and other European Tour events), very well and compares favourably with what the BeeB used to do.
    This is in complete contrast to the coverage they take from the Golf Channel, (or wherever), of the US PGA events. I get it very hard to watch those American channels with all their commercial breaks, interviews, bloody awful commentary and very little actual golf.

I am not a golf addict by any means but I would be watching the last rounds of the majors for sure especially if Irish interest is there. Sometimes I see the Golf channel on about 6:30 in the evening and its mainly talk. I don't mind that to be honest but I get the whiff from the presenters there of money and wealth and privilege. I get the feeling that unless you were not a millionaire, then well... .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I miss the live BBC live coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I miss the live BBC live coverage.

I missed Ken on the course :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

GreeBo wrote: »

Agreed, Ken on the course is much more interesting/entertaining then having a random pro hit a couple of balls on the range/in the studio as Sky were doing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

GreeBo wrote: »

I watched ken on the course every evening. The BBC highlights package still had the ken on the course bits. Brilliant as always!

Agreed, Ken on the course is much more interesting/entertaining then having a random pro hit a couple of balls on the range/in the studio as Sky were doing

Ah I didn't mind that part to be fair, but I'd still prefer to watch Ken potter around the greens!

Radar & Beem make it watchable, Howell was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Can’t link as I’m on mobile but I just read an Irish Times article saying US PGA won’t be on BBC or Sky Sports as the rights have been secured by Eleven Sports who will show it on their website (presumably for a fee)

I’m due to renew sky sports next month, not the sure thing it used to be.

Can’t link as I’m on mobile but I just read an Irish Times article saying US PGA won’t be on BBC or Sky Sports as the rights have been secured by Eleven Sports who will show it on their website (presumably for a fee)

I’m due to renew sky sports next month, not the sure thing it used to be.

Sky Sports have not broadcast the US PGA since 2016. BBC did cover it last year albeit mainly on the red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Rikand wrote: »
    I watched ken on the course every evening. The BBC highlights package still had the ken on the course bits. Brilliant as always!

They used up the entire budget on the graphics intro to Ken on the Course too I reckon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I have Facebook on my Smart TV so hopefully that bit will be watchable. But I'm damned if I'm paying yet another subscription to watch one event - or watching golf on my phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

Fcuking great ordered sky again as my dodgy box packed in to be honest I was sick of it. I had to use Sky go to watch The Open as the engineer won't be out till this Sat and the last Major of the year won't even be on Sky! :rolleyes:

Jesus, can someone get Trevor Immelman a Dulcolax or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

anyone hear the guy on pga.com when showing Shane lowrys highlights.
    he quoted Sunday bloody Sunday by U2.
    sweet baby Jesus the cringe was epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭lostatsea

anyone hear the guy on pga.com when showing Shane lowrys highlights.
    he quoted Sunday bloody Sunday by U2.
    sweet baby Jesus the cringe was epic.

I heard it - it was weird. Think he tried to put on some kind of Irish accent as well which didn't come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

The coverage on Eleven Sports seems very low rent, even more so than last year when the BBC lads were at a studio in London

Edit: They just had an interview with a Rickie Fowler lookalike. Jesus wept

I really enjoyed Sky Sports' coverage of the recent big tournaments, now I realise it was because Rob Lee wasn't part of the commentary team. He's awful

They're not showing enough shots on Sky for me, there's four matches going on, we don't need to see full practice routines from lads laying up out of the rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NDWC wrote: »
    They're not showing enough shots on Sky for me, there's four matches going on, we don't need to see full practice routines from lads laying up out of the rough.

Sky show more ads than golf shots. Ruins it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is that Butch’s son on Sky too?

Advertisement