Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Could be down to where there getting them from may not be BBC choice
    Don't mention the war

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Dont really care what order the golf is shown in on BBC. The most important thing is that its constant golf! Not commercial breaks every 5 minutes, shots of the flowers and back to the studio to listen to numptys talk about rubbish.

Give my back teeth for constant golf every single week and if it was 2 minutes behind every time I wouldnt give a monkeys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

I really enjoy the BBC coverage. No logos on the screen or text constantly popping up, and of course no ad breaks either. And then there's the soothing voices, particularly the older gentlemen who sounds like he was reared on liquidised Werther's Originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Ken 'left to right' Brown. His overuse of this phrase has lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭morphman

Who is yer one on BBC talking to Paul azinger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭nc6000

morphman wrote: »
    Who is yer one on BBC talking to Paul azinger

She's the presenter. ;)

nc6000 wrote:
    She's the presenter.

No **** Sherlock. Found her anyway Eilidh Barbour...

No **** Sherlock. Found her anyway Eilidh Barbour...

I think the other Scottish presenter who usually presents it is in Australia covering the Commonwealth Games.

Just wanted to know who she was as she is very easy on the eye ðŸ˜

Just wanted to know who she was as she is very easy on the eye ðŸ˜

You're in luck, she's now the BBC's golf TV presenter......

http://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/39428333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Green Peter

BBC were excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

BBC v Sky is like reading Joyce compared to reading the celeb gossip section of The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    BBC v Sky is like reading Joyce compared to reading the celeb gossip section of The Sun.

Butch Harmon is the best part of sky's coverage, find Ewan Murray a bore ,theres no one to touch Allis

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I don't usually have a problem with SKY, but find the constant giggling and supposed jokes between Ewen Murray and Rich Beem that seem to be constantly creeping in are starting to get on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I really enjoy the BBC coverage. No logos on the screen or text constantly popping up, and of course no ad breaks either. And then there's the soothing voices, particularly the older gentlemen who sounds like he was reared on liquidised Werther's Originals.

That sounds like something he would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It has always been like that but unfortunately Mr Joyce doesn't turn out very often.

You can always turn the sound down - I frequently do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Joyce is a f***er to read. Not to mention no one has read him .

But was class to have BBC. I know I'd have no golf most weeks without Sky. But the format of the guys talking on the chairs is too repetitive (at majors) and a bit too nicey and predictable.

They have gone away from that with a few other ideas on course , on range etc

But if BBC is on offer I'll take it every time - the ads alone , the ads on Sky actually alter your brains comfort and relaxation - a bit like Joyce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Did McGinley really say that Rickie isnt mentally strong after he shot 5 under on the last day of the masters? 4 under for the last 7 also. Seems an absolutely bizarre thing to say under the circumstances.

https://twitter.com/WestwoodLee/status/983116041336352768

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

But if BBC is on offer I'll take it every time - the ads alone , the ads on Sky actually alter your brains comfort and relaxation - a bit like Joyce.
    Yeah, I got fed up with the ads on Sky too. Not just that they interrupt your viewing, but they also mean you miss stuff as it happens. You often see the shots appear on the shot tracker on masters.com before you see them 'live'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

kiers47 wrote: »
    Did McGinley really say that Rickie isnt mentally strong after he shot 5 under on the last day of the masters? 4 under for the last 7 also. Seems an absolutely bizarre thing to say under the circumstances.

Would have to agree with McGinley that Fowler has a serious mental block, and has proven it many times, if he was in the fianl group no way would he shoot 67, always easier to do it when coming from off the pace, but when he has been out in front he was repeatedly folded.

• Advertisement

danganabu wrote: »
    Would have to agree with McGinley that Fowler has a serious mental block, and has proven it many times, if he was in the fianl group no way would he shoot 67, always easier to do it when coming from off the pace, but when he has been out in front he was repeatedly folded.

Ah stop. Perhaps he had in the past but he has given himself plenty chances in the past couple of years. Its not easy to win majors. They wouldnt be so compelling if it was.

He shot 65-67 on the weekend in the masters. I would hardly say that would equate to a mental block. He just was not good enough on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I think people seem to forget that Rickie won the Players! and great mental strength shown when he did! Maybe not a major but next best thing!

There are so many good players around. There is a big difference between not being good enough and not having the mental strength. While Rickie is an exceptional player he is probably not an elite player on the same level as Jordan/Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Ah stop. Perhaps he had in the past but he has given himself plenty chances in the past couple of years. Its not easy to win majors. They wouldnt be so compelling if it was.

He shot 65-67 on the weekend in the masters. I would hardly say that would equate to a mental block. He just was not good enough on the day.

Its not just in Majors, he has won very little for a guy of his talent and that's always at the top end of the leaderboard, he has I think 9 Top 5 finishes in majors withour ever actually looking like winning one, if he ever does get over the line - and it will probably be in a instance where he comes from off the lead, he will probably win a few.

danganabu wrote: »
    Its not just in Majors, he has won very little for a guy of his talent and that's always at the top end of the leaderboard, he has I think 9 Top 5 finishes in majors withour ever actually looking like winning one, if he ever does get over the line - and it will probably be in a instance where he comes from off the lead, he will probably win a few.

I think its 8 top 5's but either way if you keep giving yourself chances eventually you should get over the line.

I think he is a great player but just not as good as he is portrayed in the media due to his popularity.
    Although ive said it a few times i love his putting stroke. So simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Rickie also once came from 4 down with 4 to play to get a half in Ryder Cup singles so he definitely has some mental toughness.

I do agree he should've won more for someone of his talent however

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Well his own coach, Butch said the same thing pre-round yesterday. Being in a chasing group suits Rickie better.

I don't doubt he'll win a big one, but I think he'll stick a score on the door and have the leader(s) fall past.
    More than happy to be wrong though, he seems a good guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

Agreed. I am sure Fowler knew the score standing on the 18th tee. Nothing but a birdie would help and he got it. Mentally weak? BS.

McGinley's commentating credibility is really in question as -14 is normally there or thereabouts at winning the Masters. Offer that score to anyone on Thursday morning and they'd bite your hand off.

It all comes down the little moments, if Reed's initial putt on 17 doesn't glance the pin taking off some of the momentum then his putt would have stopped on the edge of the green at a minumum and he may have made bogey. He'd have needed a birdie to win on 18 then. No doubts he would have made one if needed. If and buts.

Fowler did as much as he could, his sole mistake was overshooting the 5th leaving himself a guaranteed bogey.

Ya rickie had one bogey in his last 2 rounds thsts pretty good going at augusta, there does be some amount of revisionism on golfers performances after a tournament depending on who they are and what they have won.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

I fancy him for The Open Championship. Very good links player is Rickie.

Advertisement