Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Nah, they'll go for the quotas angle and give it to Sarah Stirk or Henni.

I wouldn't complain too much if it was Henni!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Watching BBC highlights

Poor Peter Allis showing his age - we may not enjoy him much more.

Caught a bit of last night's highlights, thought he sounded much the same as ever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I didnt see much of this apart from Friday. But jesus what i did see the coverage was shocking. Im not sure how you could **** up this seen as it is so straightforward and the script writes itself time and time again. But Sky certainly made an awful bollix of it. Odd one as they do such a good job at The Open.

Missing half the shots. Dodgy camera angles. Way to many pundits on the go, most of whom are unbearable. The list goes on.

Not enough Beemer this week, one of their best and most entertaining contributors, he should be one of the main commentators, wasted out on the course imo

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nah, they'll go for the quotas angle and give it to Sarah Stirk or Henni.

I don't like sarah at all.

• Advertisement

I've always like the partisan nature of Butch but his commentary on Patrick Reed's pretend shushing proves you can take the american out of america but you can't take the american out of the american

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Rikand wrote: »
    I've always like the partisan nature of Butch but his commentary on Patrick Reed's pretend shushing proves you can take the american out of america but you can't take the american out of the american

Yeah I remember that. He was ready to jump down Reed's throat and didn't even bother to wait to realise Reed was being tongue in cheek. Sense of humour failure from Butch.

My opinions on Reed swing back and forth. From what I read about and see of him he's probably an a**hole. But at least he's something! If you were on a night out with Webb Simpson and he went missing would anyone even notice he was gone?;-)

Reason #472 to despise Ewen Murray as a commentator

"i dont think I've ever seen Tiger Woods follow up a bad shot with another one"

Anyone else remember the time of one of the comebacks where Woods was fluffing all his chip shots ? bad shot after bad shot after bad shot.

Your sensationalist, written for the Daily Star, commentary is hideous Ewen. Just retire already

• Registered Users Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I like euen ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

I like euen ;)

Perfect voice for Golf I think, nice soft scottish accent.

He's very easy to listen to which is what a golf commentator should be.

• Advertisement

I find Andy Coltart very good at the on-course commentary

NDWC wrote: »
    I find Andy Coltart very good at the on-course commentary

He's excellent

Perfect voice for Golf I think, nice soft scottish accent.

He's very easy to listen to which is what a golf commentator should be.

But he talks completely out of his hole.

I guess its whatever you're into. But I like my golf commentators to not talk utter trollop, no matter how soft the tones are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'd be a fan of Ewen and enjoy his commentary. Now, Mark Roe is a different story.

Apparently the masters will be Butch's last tournament working for Sky. I for one will miss him as I think he adds a great blend of knowledge and humour.

He was the guest on the sky sports golf podcast this week and it's well worth a listen. Link

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Apparently the masters will be Butch's last tournament working for Sky. I for one will miss him as I think he adds a great blend of knowledge and humour.

He was the guest on the sky sports golf podcast this week and it's well worth a listen. Link

Do you know if he is giving it up altogether or just leaving sky?

Agree that he is one of the better and certainly easy to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,675 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

GreeBo wrote: »

I'd heard he was retiring which included coaching afaik.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

GreeBo wrote: »

I'd heard he was retiring which included coaching afaik.

From listening to the podcast it sounds like he's fully retiring. He did say he'd come back to do the Masters again if Sky asked him but apart from that he's done. On the coaching side of things he mentioned that Claude is gradually taking over so looks like he's phasing that out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

What ****e am I watching on Sky. Live coverage my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Live coverage not on till 8 is just ridiculous for a major. Those stuffy b'tards at Augusta need a good hard shake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Current commentators are underwhelming. McGinley bringing nothing to it.

backspin. wrote: »
    Live coverage not on till 8 is just ridiculous for a major. Those stuffy b'tards at Augusta need a good hard shake.

Its wierd as they are on the pulse with so much else compared to normal pga events or even other majors.

What they have done this year with the website/app is on another planet

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

When is the last time he did commentate for Sky? I thought he was already done and this is a special appearance because it is the last time he will be out on tour in any working capacity.

Remind me wrote: »
    When is the last time he did commentate for Sky? I thought he was already done and this is a special appearance because it is the last time he will be out on tour in any working capacity.

Ryder cup was his last time and it sounds like he didn't want to continue once Livingstone retired

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I’m liking Dougherty, squinting aside but they need to freshen it up, McGinley just waffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

McGinley just comes out with one liners.

Always thought he’d be gone as soon as Ryder cup was over when he was captain.

Where’s Roe we all miss him

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Butch is 75, didn't realise he was quite that old. Ewan Murray mentioned about his dad winning in 1948 earlier and Butch said he was actually present when it happened, a 5 year old kid being shepherded around by his mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

SeeMoreBut wrote:
    McGinley just comes out with one liners.

Far from it. Succinct comments from someone who knows what he's talking about. Expert.

SeeMoreBut wrote:
    Where’s Roe we all miss him

Not me. A hired sycophant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

And ESPN predictably pushing Tiger as far up the leaderboard as they can get away with. The practice of giving precedence to the player who has played most holes is suspended when there's a chance of pulling a few more impressionable viewers.

• Advertisement

Tiger show as always, even replays of his shots when there is others out on course doing better sigh.

Thank feck for the masters app

Advertisement