Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

F*** Sky Sports, the p*****! They won't be happy until they own the rights to all major sporting events. I miss BBC's excellent Open Championship coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

sligeach wrote: »
    F*** Sky Sports, the p*****! They won't be happy until they own the rights to all major sporting events. I miss BBC's excellent Open Championship coverage.

Come on tell us how you really feel??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You might as well say **** the R&A. After all no one forced them to accept the Sky Sports deal. Money as always is the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

You might as well say **** the R&A. After all no one forced them to accept the Sky Sports deal. Money as always is the bottom line.
    Not the only one. Sky offer far more hours of coverage. BBC Northern Ireland dropped Sunday afternoon coverage of the Open so they could bring us Armagh v Tyrone or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

First Up wrote: »
    Not the only one. Sky offer far more hours of coverage. BBC Northern Ireland dropped Sunday afternoon coverage of the Open so they could bring us Armagh v Tyrone or some such.

Sure BBC didnt even have live coverage of their World Cup semi final!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sky cut for an ad break as Lyle was walking to the green. At least they showed his birdie.

GreeBo wrote: »

Sure BBC didnt even have live coverage of their World Cup semi final!
    BBC and ITV split the WC coverage.
    The point about the golf is that they HAD the broadcasting rights but chose not to show it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Sarah Stirk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tim Barter was talking to Pat Perez and apparently he spent last week playing Portmarnock to get ready.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Is it just me or is Richard Boxall a really good commentator.

Easy the listen to, not much bull out of him and he seems to know his stuff.He's got a nice understated way to his commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Is it just me or is Richard Boxall a really good commentator.

Easy the listen to, not much bull out of him and he seems to know his stuff.He's got a nice understated way to his commentary.

I'd disagree. I think he's one of their worst commentators.

I'd disagree. I think he's one of their worst commentators.

I think him and David Howell have been good this week, both of them are very unobtrusive.

I think him and David Howell have been good this week, both of them are very unobtrusive.

Howell is easy to listen to, quite polished in a McGinley, but not as irritating somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In fairness to sky they're keeping the ad lengths to a minimum. Coverage has been excellent.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    In fairness to sky they're keeping the ad lengths to a minimum. Coverage has been excellent.
    It was one of the conditons under which they got the contract.

I guess its much easier when you are effectively the host broadcaster rather than relying on a feed.
    Also the fact that they have 12+ hours of coverage/access means they can do it whatever way they want.

I still miss the BBC though. Was nice to see Peter Alliss chatting with Tommy Fleetwood on the putting green.

I guess its much easier when you are effectively the host broadcaster rather than relying on a feed.
    Also the fact that they have 12+ hours of coverage/access means they can do it whatever way they want.
    No they can't. The frequency and duration of ad breaks was one of the conditions agreed with the R&A when they got the contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No break for ads in the states, when it comes to ad time the screen goes 50/50 and whilst the goof is muted you miss none of the action, straight through all day

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

No they can't. The frequency and duration of ad breaks was one of the conditions agreed with the R&A when they got the contract.

I don't believe I mentioned ad breaks?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Somebody get a damn barber onto Paul Lawrie asap!!!

I like Howell as an on course commentator, the fact that he's still playing at a reasonably high level I think gives him that little bit of extra credibility. Think he's good in the commentary box too.

Thought Van de Velde was good also, don't remember hearing him yesterday though

callaway92 wrote: »
    Somebody get a damn barber onto Paul Lawrie asap!!!

Looks like someone forgot to replace their divot.

10212325.jpg

Saw Bruce Critchley do a piece about Peter Thompson on Sky's show today, always like him as a commentator as he had a wonderful borderline toff accent and it suited golf commentary perfectly.

Saw Bruce Critchley do a piece about Peter Thompson on Sky's show today, always like him as a commentator as he had a wonderful borderline toff accent and it suited golf commentary perfectly.

The only thing I disliked about him was his anti-american bias but I agree he had the perfect voice for commentary. Seems to be effectively retired these days but I do enjoy the golf history pieces he does every now and then.

I don't believe I mentioned ad breaks?:confused:
    Were we talking about anything else?

Were we talking about anything else?

Well I was talking about the coverage....in the coverage thread.

Probably due a yellow card in fairness.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Paul McGinley looks beyond ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭Trampas

Did sky send Roe to wrong course to save all our ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Loved the line from Darren Clarke (I think): "Bet the guy who carves the name in the trophy is glad Schauffele didn't win".:P

Advertisement