Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The BBC coverage is refreshing.
    Sky were just showing pictures of bushes and leaderboards the last two days interspersed with ads and interviews.
    BBC are showing non stop golf.

And that is why they cant show golf every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NIMAN wrote: »
    Could listen to Alliss all day and night.

"as my mother used to say, his trousers are full of legs"

Watching the British Open a few years ago, some guy hit an indifferent chip. Alliss: "It's like a prospective son-in-law; one's always looking for something better." His American co-commentator was rendered speechless for about 2 minutes...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

People who enjoy the sky pundits.
    May I present to you exhibit A. My eyes are burning a little. :pac: :pac:

https://twitter.com/Darth_Monty/status/983029575373459456?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Could listen to Alliss all day and night.

"as my mother used to say, his trousers are full of legs"

Watching the British Open a few years ago, some guy hit an indifferent chip. Alliss: "It's like a prospective son-in-law; one's always looking for something better." His American co-commentator was rendered speechless for about 2 minutes...:p

The old ones are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gary "I'm great" Player on BBC now if you need to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

PARlance wrote: »

Bloke’s not short on confidence anyway:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PARlance wrote: »

Is he like Johnny Giles?

"so Johnny, what do you think if real Madrid tonight"

"they remind me of the great Leeds team I used to play in"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is he like Johnny Giles?

"so Johnny, what do you think if real Madrid tonight"

"they remind me of the great Leeds team I used to play in"

Player(age 82) is more likely to say “I should be playing in that Real Madrid team tonight”:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Think McGinley is good. Articulate, sensible, seems to have a good relationship with the players. Certainly wouldn't have any issue with him, I enjoy listening to him.

He knows his limitations as a player, and often refers to it. I wouldn't hold it against the guy for hilighting his strengths either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,122 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Player(age 82) is more likely to say “I should be playing in that Real Madrid team tonight”:D

Playing instead of Ronaldo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

First Up wrote: »
    Don't know how often this has to be explained. CBS cover whats going on around the course and feed it all into the control room. Each broadcaster decides which shots to show and in what sequence. Its standard coverage of a tournament. Only reason its confusing people is because we have a choice of broadcasters so we get to see different coverage.

So again tonight, BBC is about 2 mins behind Sky ( Rory's approach on the 2nd as example) which is annoying as hell if your getting texts or checking Twitter etc.
    If they both have access to CBS feed why would BBC be delayed by that much?

Don't know how often this has to be explained. CBS cover whats going on around the course and feed it all into the control room. Each broadcaster decides which shots to show and in what sequence. Its standard coverage of a tournament. Only reason its confusing people is because we have a choice of broadcasters so we get to see different coverage.

So again tonight, BBC is about 2 mins behind Sky ( Rory's approach on the 2nd as example) which is annoying as hell if your getting texts or checking Twitter etc.
    They are not "two minutes behind". They are taking the shots they want in the order they want. CBS is offering probably 10 - 29 cameras and all broadcasters (including CBS) decide what to use and when.

They are not "two minutes behind". They are taking the shots they want in the order they want. CBS is offering probably 10 - 2O cameras and all broadcasters (including CBS) decide what to use and when.

If you switch between the different broadcasters you are going to see the shots in different sequences. Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And you will find on some shots they are ahead.
    That's just the way it is, no reason to complain about that.

They are not "two minutes behind". They are taking the shots they want in the order they want. CBS is offering probably 10 - 29 cameras and all broadcasters (including CBS) decide what to use and when.

They are behind. Everyone is watching Rory and Reed. Go to sky sports watch one of their shots and then go back to BBC and you'll see the same shot, this time about a minute behind ( the Rory chip). It's the same on all of their shots I've watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

They are behind. Everyone is watching Rory and Reed. Go to sky sports watch one of their shots and then go back to BBC and you'll see the same shot, this time about a minute behind ( the Rory chip). It's the same on all of their shots I've watched.

They're not. BBC showed Stensons putt first, then Rory's approach.

Sky did the reverse. I was flipping between the two.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    They're not. BBC showed Stensons putt first, then Rory's approach.

Sky did the reverse. I was flipping between the two.

Ok fair enough, for Rory/Reed sky are constantly ahead. About 3 mins on Reed's tee off on the 4th.

Words fail me.

• Advertisement

Ok fair enough, for Rory/Reed sky are constantly ahead. About 3 mins on Reed's tee off on the 4th.

Yea I notice that. Seems odd that the BBC would not keep pace with the coverage of the leaders. Bound to lose viewers over it (Myself included).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea I notice that. Seems odd that the BBC would not keep pace with the coverage of the leaders. Bound to lose viewers over it (Myself included).

Why so you can watch the ads on sky?

We'll let you know when Sky shows a shot before the BBC does so you can be furious at someone else.

Ha Ok... Furious might be a bit hyperbolic.

Seve OB wrote:
    Why so you can watch the ads on sky?

Yea that's annoying alright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Right. Back to the actual golf

Shocking putt again by Rory.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Right. Back to the actual golf

Shocking putt again by Rory.
    Yes indeed, back to the golf. I'm tired of flicking between channels with my stopwatch at the ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Why on earth are we watching Francesco Molinari tee off on 15? (BBC)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Why on earth are we watching Francesco Molinari tee off on 15? (BBC)

They are getting there pictures from wither Sky or America TV so not much they can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,794 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Could be down to where there getting them from may not be BBC choice

Advertisement