Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

If Collins, Murkawski and Flake all say they will not vote to confirm Kavanaugh without the FBI investigation, then McConnell can't force through diddly squat. He'll lose the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Christy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    RobertKK wrote: »
    If there is nothing in the FBI investigation, will Christine Blasey Ford be charged for lying under oath?
    Or if there is, will Brett Kavanaugh be charged for lying under oath?
    Brett will have other issues at that point.

No if Ford is lying. Republicans would block the investigation into Ford pretty quickly. If Ford is lying then the Reps get their man on the supreme court. If they go after Ford for lying then they are forced to admit that lying to the senate is a serious crime and Brett (and their majority) goes down due to his virgin pioneer act. We know Brett has lied. It is just about how much.

Note. They have a week so trial level proof may not be found either way.
    Shifting the responsibility away from himself. He must think his pick may fail at this point and wants to avoid admitting any blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Duck Soup wrote: »
    Will somebody please peel President Trump off the ceiling.

CBS are saying he is rather relaxed over it, he did actually like Ford Yesterday. It will be Mc Connell on the war path for now not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump talking on MSNBC. And he sounds normal and no bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Pelvis wrote: »
    If they can prove that she lied, then yes.

If they lie to the FBI, then the FBI can charge them but I'm not sure that the FBI will be looking for perjury charges arising from the senate testimony. Like I said, I'm not sure so I may need to be corrected on this. I have doubts because I thought that one of Mueller's perps was charged with lying to the senate. I'll go look it up and get back later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

Quite a photo..

DoIRvdJXsAEqy8d.jpg

Why did you post this particular screen shot?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If Collins, Murkawski and Flake all say they will not vote to confirm Kavanaugh without the FBI investigation, then McConnell can't force through diddly squat. He'll lose the vote.

Pretty big if

Looking forward to Trump's measured take on this later!

McConnell has Democrats he could work on too for the numbers. I'm hopeful of a week delay, but I'm not expecting it right now.

McConnell has spent his entire political life dedicated to a goal, I can't see how backing off it easily.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Don't be fooled

Yep he still likely to vote for Kav when the vote comes up. Its typical Flake, gives something to the left, but ultimately does what Mitch and Trump say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Rjd2 wrote: »
    CBS are saying he is rather relaxed over it, he did actually like Ford Yesterday. It will be Mc Connell on the war path for now not him.

DJT just on a spray along with some dude from Chile.... Seems quite sanguine about it alright. Quite measured and statesman-like in fact... Gave props to both Ford and Kavanaugh... Possibly he'll be screaming at the remote later, but for now that seemed very measured...

Yep he still likely to vote for Kav when the vote comes up. Its typical Flake, gives something to the left, but ultimately does what Mitch and Trump say.

Rinse and repeat

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Just seen the interview, he is genuinely relaxed and was very respectful towards Collins, Ford etc. Absolutely astonishing how respectful he was.

Probably tweeting madness in a few hours now I said that. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 39,627 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump was really measured and open to the idea and he praised Dr Ford and a very different tone.

Give him time, he was caught on the hop and as Graham said, someone is going to have to explain to Trump what has actually happened, which will probably be him :)

When he actually understands the potential ramifications we will see the real Trump appear

Pretty big if

Looking forward to Trump's measured take on this later!

McConnell has Democrats he could work on too for the numbers. I'm hopeful of a week delay, but I'm not expecting it right now.

McConnell has spent his entire political life dedicated to a goal, I can't see how backing off it easily.

True, but the red state Democrats would all be voting no to Kavanaugh unless there's an FBI investigation, not voting no against him under all circumstances. If that political point of principle is enough cover for Republican senators, it'll be more than enough for wobbly Democrats.

If they lie to the FBI, then the FBI can charge them but I'm not sure that the FBI will be looking for perjury charges arising from the senate testimony. Like I said, I'm not sure so I may need to be corrected on this. I have doubts because I thought that one of Mueller's perps was charged with lying to the senate. I'll go look it up and get back later.

OK. Sam Patten appears to have pleaded guilty to misleading the senate as part of his plea with Mueller so I don't know how this really works.

What Sam Patten pleaded guilty to doing

According to the criminal information document filed by the DC US attorney’s office, Patten and Kilimnik (who is not named but referred to as “Foreigner A”) founded a lobbying and consulting company together. They did campaign work in Ukraine and lobbying work in the US, and were paid over $1 million between 2015 and 2017.
    Specifically, the document claims that Patten contacted members of Congress and their staffers, State Department officials, and members of the press on behalf of his Ukrainian clients — all without registering under the Foreign Agents Registration Act, as required by law.
    Patten also admits to helping his Ukrainian oligarch client get around the prohibition on foreign donations to Donald Trump’s inauguration committee. The oligarch sent $50,000 to Patten’s company, and then he gave that money to a US citizen, who bought the four tickets. The tickets were given to the oligarch, Kilimnik, another Ukrainian, and Patten himself.
    Finally, Patten also admits to misleading the Senate Intelligence Committee and withholding documents from them during testimony this January.

Good point made on MSNBC - Flake wouldn't have put himself out on a limb on this unless he was absolutely sure he had back-up from Collins and Murkawski.

Good point made on MSNBC - Flake wouldn't have put himself out on a limb on this unless he was absolutely sure he had back-up from Collins and Murkawski.

Looks to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

If McConnell pushes forward I don't think Flake will stick to his guns.

Yup, Murkawski now confirming she's supporting Flake. I'd assume Collins will shortly follow suit.

Now, only Trump can order the FBI investigation, but without it McConnell will lose the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Just looking at some of the folks in the Senate, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one of them might die of old age between now and one week. Not surprising Republicans want to push forward.

• Advertisement

This is true. Interestingly it was speculated that Manchen was going to vote for Kav as he really likes the guy, this has stopped him and other nervous red state dems in there tracks.

Its crazy as it did look like Mitch had played a blinder in getting the party behind Kav and maybe even got a few red state dems, but this is up in the air now.

Mitch could push the vote through, but Flake and the red state dems will want the week at very least to investigate. Mitch even with all his ruthlessness and Koch brothers influence can't win this vote without the investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don at interview "Ford very compelling, very credible". I'm wondering if his missus or/and his daughter bent his ear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don at interview "Ford very compelling, very credible". I'm wondering if his missus or/and his daughter bent his ear.

Even trump is not stupid enough to attack so soon after her testimony. Give him a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,100 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

With all this thoroughly depressing rollercoaster, I hope the mods will facilitate a little levity...

https://twitter.com/misslaneym/status/1045734336849477633?s=19

(Contains bad language)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The grandstanding from both sides and talk of 'optics' is unseemly to the point of being uncomfortable. Not a backbone among them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Isn't that the way they have treated HC for all these years?

Trump ran his whole campaign on that very notion.

Now all of a sudden the GOP are worried about evidence.

Come on. You have got to see how hypocritical you are being.

For some reason this is like kryptonite to Trump supporters. I guess if they held him to any standards they wouldn't be his supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm seeing the fact that the matter is now back with Mitch is Senator Grassley passing the poisoned chalice along the GOP hierarchy-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Because it popped up in my Twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It is a fair reflection of his appearance yesterday...he was angry.

I am totally anti-trump and pretty strongly anti-republican in general but I must say I am torn over this whole thing. It is really a very tough situation all round but they do seem to finally have come to a sensible solution of a quick investigation. Even Trump is being pretty sensible about it so far (there's a thing I never thought I'd say).

As for Kavanaugh...I understand his anger yesterday and have no issue at all with that. If I was accused like that and innocent, I would probably react the same. On the other hand, he DID lie yesterday also repeatedly. Flatulence my arse!!! Drinking game? I don't think so.
    I honestly don't know though if he is actually guilty of something or just liked to party (which is fine). It is a no-brainer to investigate or at least just ask the only other person who was (possibly) there.

To sum up....Lindsey Graham and Grassley are dicks. Booker and Harris are dicks. Flake seems to have character and hopefully, he sticks to his guns and gets backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,159 ✭✭✭✭Water John

McConnell and to lesser extent Grassley knew they were up against the numbers.
    Collins has long said she wanted this type of investigation. This has now happened and its egg on their faces, having fought against it. Flake only asked for this because he knew he had Collins and others at his back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement