Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

It seems to be a delay on the Senate vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,251 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

aloyisious wrote: »
    Jeff Flake saying he talked to people from the opposite side of the floor, recommends a delay of a week to the vote so there can be an investigation into the allegations

Mitch can still force through

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Yep, one week delay for investigation

This, I believe has ramifications for the cases lined up from Monday if he is not voted on by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Pelvis wrote: »
    Wow!!

If the FBI get involved, I believe Kavanaugh will withdraw.

As soon as Mark Judge starts blabbing, the jig is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep, one week delay for investigation

There is no change.

Flake is saying what he would like to see happen toote yes on the floor (and we all know how firm he I'd in his positions) grassley has said he will advocate that position.

What you think McConnell is gonna tell them?

He will be the one who decides now the process has been passed out of committee

Feinstein actually has no idea what is happening , she is so poorly informed of her job it's incredible.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

If there is nothing in the FBI investigation, will Christine Blasey Ford be charged for lying under oath?
    Or if there is, will Brett Kavanaugh be charged for lying under oath?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Her friend said she believes her, she just doesn't remember the party. But when 4 older boys ply two fifteen year olds with drink that's not exactly surprising is it? The only person who said it didn't happen was Kavanaugh. Everyone else said they don't remember the party in question. Again, not surprising if they didn't know anything happened there. Judge is the only one who was supposed to have witnessed it and he doesn't want to give evidence because of anxiety issues caused by his alcoholism.

It's a bit like that quote from Street Fighter, of all things.
    "For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."
    You have a very different memory and perception of an event of significance in your life than you do if it blurs into other, similar events.

I can remember very few parties in detail from my youth but I can still remember the event where I was sexually assaulted by an adult man and nearly raped in quite a bit of detail, even though I was drunk.

And I didn't tell anyone about it either, bar one or two friends, years and years later. I still haven't and I don't intend to any time soon.
    I was a teenager and at a family event. On the off chance that someone could figure out who I am, I'd rather not get more specific. It'd make me incredibly sad to know that the family in question's event was ruined in retrospect because they became aware of what happened to me at it.

Even thinking about talking about it with my immediate family makes me feel ill.
    And it's not because I'm ashamed of it - perhaps I gained some measure of closure because I was able to fight him off after I recovered from being so drunk, and being in a state of shock, and when it was clear that "playing dead" to try and get him to stop groping and kissing me wasn't working.
    Nevertheless, it would be profoundly uncomfortable. I certainly bloody well wouldn't want to step up in front of the whole world and have a natter about it with a bunch of weasels who don't give a **** whether or not I'm telling the truth and will railroad through the perpetrator regardless.

There's some different dynamics at play between any incident like this, not least whether the victims are male or female, but it only takes a shred of imagination and empathy to be able to understand why it mightn't be straightforward to come forward about these kinds of accusations, or why it might be difficult to corroborate such a claim.

Obviously, I wouldn't expect the man who assaulted me to be locked up on my say so, and nobody else is making that claim in Kavanaugh's case. What they're saying is that if it's credible, then the plausibility of the event having taken place is reason enough to delay the appointment and investigate.

Even leaving all that aside, Kavanaugh's performance has made it clear as day that he's unsuited to the role; for his partisanship, his almost certain perjury and his clear disdain for due process. Appointing him to the SC would make an absolute farce of the institution, even if he's now cleared of sexual assault following an investigation.

And even if he's not ultimately confirmed, it's clear that the process needs to be revised. There shouldn't be even the opportunity for partisanship to interfere in the way it has.
    If the SC wants to be partisan, it requires term limits and a popular vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Will somebody please peel President Trump off the ceiling.

Listen to Feinstein like, she literally has no idea what's happening.

She seems to think they were voting in with an amendment. Absolutely clueless like.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

They didn't rule on the motion. :confused:

Farcical.

• Advertisement

Pelvis wrote: »
    They didn't rule on the motion. :confused:

Farcical.

There was no motion!

They voted on sending it to the floor, it passed. Like it was always going to pass!

Flake can want whatever he wants, hell Grassley can want whatever he wants. Its up to Mitch Mconnell now. The committee job is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

everlast75 wrote: »
    Mitch can still force through

If Mitch pushes a vote on the floor without reopening the FBI investigation, Flake is basically saying he is not married to that positon, and may vote Kav up or down. He wants a week for the FBI to complete due diligence.

Fair play, Jeff.. A difficult but honourable approach...

Now Grassley is playing another game with invoking a 2-hour rule... Don;t understand that...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,251 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

RobertKK wrote: »
    If there is nothing in the FBI investigation, will Christine Blasey Ford be charged for lying under oath?

If there is, lying under oath will be the least of his problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Everyone seems confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Listen to Feinstein like, she literally has no idea what's happening.

She seems to think they were voting in with an amendment. Absolutely clueless like.

Its damning on this office that two awful politicians like Grassley and Feinstein have such prominent positions. Which one is worse is a debate for another day, but Good Lord put both out to pasture please.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,574 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Umm Senator Grassley calling a halt to proceeding, citing a 2-hour rule on sitting of the committee. Some-how I reckon a conference call coming on, along with a meeting with JF in a private room to bend his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

If memory serves, I think the senate would need to refer perjury charges to the fbi. I don't think the FBI can just watch senate testimony and initiate investigations - they'd get nothing else done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If they can prove that she lied, then yes.

Flake and his supporters on the wish to delay for a week will need to be very strong getting the message across that they will be voting no if this is not done. They will also need to pry Joe manchin away from a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

This is more intriguing than most seasons of House of Cards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So there was a vote to move it to the floor of the senate which has happened. But was there a vote on the motion to delay the vote ? It cut out on me. So this suggestion from Jeff flake isn't binding on the senate unless Mitch McConnell agrees with it.

Graham can be very funny at times. :D

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So there was a vote to move it to the floor of the senate which has happened. But was there a vote on the motion to delay the vote ? It cut out on me. So this suggestion from Jeff flake isn't binding on the senate unless Mitch McConnell agrees with it.

No because they don't have that power. It's up to Mitch now what happens.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

everlast75 wrote: »
    If there is, lying under oath will be the least of his problems

Why exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

There wasn't a motion on the delay. Flake voted to move it to the floor, on the understanding that the FBI would be asked to do the required investigation to be completed within one week. Grassley said he can't guarantee that McConnell/Schumer will agree to that as it is beyond his control. So its down to McConnell 1) to agree/disagree and 2) to try and arrange the FBI gig. However, that will depend on Trump to ask the FBI..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,004 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Flake the only GOP member who has some kinda of back bone to go against trump

What is the harm in a week.....

No because they don't have that power. It's up to Mitch now what happens.
    Okay.

Hallie Jackson on MSNBC said trump is saying it's up to the republican senators.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

Brett will have other issues at that point.

No if Ford is lying. Republicans would block the investigation into Ford pretty quickly. If Ford is lying then the Reps get their man on the supreme court. If they go after Ford for lying then they are forced to admit that lying to the senate is a serious crime and Brett (and their majority) goes down due to his virgin pioneer act. We know Brett has lied. It is just about how much.

Note. They have a week so trial level proof may not be found either way.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    Flake the only GOP member who has some kinda of back bone to go against trump

What is the harm in a week.....

Don't be fooled

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement