Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rob and Lenny's cross dressing 2018/2019 cyclocross season thread ,

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

That was good fun. Finished way back but having done zero training I was happy to survive.

Hard ground, dusty rather than mucky and fast. Much easier to corner at speed than usual and also to pick up speed on the grass sections.

Forgot to wear gloves and subsequently have a massive blister after hanging on to the bars too tight. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Hi,

Im a road racer who has never tried cross before and id like to. Id love to improve my bike handling and Id like to add a bit of spice to the winter training as its a long time till March.

Should i try turning up at a cross race and racing? This is probably a bad idea on road racing, people usually say, do a few club races first? Is there club races? Id have to join a club for that i guess!

Can unattached riders, ride them?

I guess an entry level cross bike would be grand for trying it out?

Whats cross racing like? I hear its real fast and intense. I think theres an A and B category. A is i guess similar to A1/A2 level in road and B is kind of A3/A4 level?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Savage racing, no high intensity done, so was definitely a leg and chest opener, rolled a tub halfway through the last lap, was comfortable around 20th before that, I love cx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Chumpski wrote: »
    Hi,

Im a road racer....Should i try turning up at a cross race and racing? ...Can unattached riders, ride them?......I guess an entry level cross bike would be grand for trying it out?

Whats cross racing like? I hear its real fast and intense. I think theres an A and B category. A is i guess similar to A1/A2 level in road and B is kind of A3/A4 level?

Yes to the first 3 questions.

Depending on where you live there are leagues in Ulster, Munster, Connacht and Leinster and one off races in Navan, Dublin, Belfast and so on.

Enter a B race and see how you go. If you go very well and win the B race you'll be upgraded to the A race for the following event (if in a league)
    Cross racing is high intensity effort for about 50 minutes so you need to be sure that's a good thing for your training if the road season from March is the main goal.
    It helps if you can corner as you can then get recovery in corners.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

Any dates up for racing in Connacht this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

25sean wrote: »
    Any dates up for racing in Connacht this year?

Just announced on Friday.
    1. Sep 23rd  Castlebar CC
    2. Oct  7th  Westport Convey Wheelers
    3. Oct 21st  Ballina CC
    4. Nov  4th  Eire Óg CC, Sligo
    5. Dec  2nd  TBC

Source: https://www.facebook.com/connachtcx/photos/a.533160473454097/1413220535448082/?type=3&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭SuperSean

Hey guys, any mid-week after work CX practice sessions going?
    I'm around South Dublin area and was thinking of getting some training in on the way home over the next few weeks. I'll probably just hit the phoenix park but thought I'd ask to see if there's anything going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

First CX race at Kilternan (B race) and a brilliant experience - good hard honest racing and happy to bag a good placing so caught hook, line and sinker now!

Are there any photos from Saturday night? There appeared to be a good few people taking pictures and wanted to see if there were any taken and posted online. I looked at the Supercross Cup FB and nothing yet and wanted to see if anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Add this to the calendar:

https://www.facebook.com/EPICMTBDublin/?fref=ts
    EPIC CX Firhouse 21st Oct 2018
    A , B, Ladies Races, u/a
    Further updates on sign on 16th Sept

255jgyb.png

Very limited single race entries left for Supercross Cup in Grange Castle - missed B registration so in for the A race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Very limited single race entries left for Supercross Cup in Grange Castle - missed B registration so in for the A race!

I think I'll have to give it a miss so... I wish more people were pushed into A race. I know somebody that has placed in the B races for the last couple of years and still enters them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I think about a third of the B field would be happy out doing the A race.
    Look at the lap times from Kilternan - or any race from last year.

You'll still get a race with the additional brucie bonus of getting lapped by the leaders and getting to see how the top lads take the corners (for about 45 seconds)

And the A race doesn't seem to sell out so no last minute panic if you forget to hover over the internet at 9am on a Tuesday morning or whenever the race opens for entries..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Peterx wrote: »

You'll still get a race with the additional brucie bonus of getting lapped by the leaders and getting to see how the top lads take the corners (for about 45 seconds)

And the A race doesn't seem to sell out so no last minute panic if you forget to hover over the internet at 9am on a Tuesday morning or whenever the race opens for entries..

There are a lot of handicap bandits in the B races ...........

They make Freds like me seem even worse ;)

Peterx wrote: »

And 33% extra free in lap numbers!

Oldcastle have produced a "4 race league for local clubs", €10 per race for CI members, €20 otherwise.

CX League Announcement: from Oldcastle Cc on Facebook.
    R1 Oct 21st
    R2 Nov  4th
    R3 Nov 18th
    R4 Dec  9th

Events: https://www.facebook.com/pg/oldcastlecyclingclub/events/

I think "Local Clubs" means the list that the mentioned on Facebook:
    Moynalty Cycling Club, Virginia Triathlon & Cycling Club, Team Cavan Racing, Trim Cycling Group, Sheelin Flyers Cycling Club, DB Cycling Club, Feel Good Bicycles, Navan Road Club and Bohermeen Cycling Club.

Oldcastle are also good for putting on a CX/MTB Sportive in very late December, no word on that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Oldcastle have produced a "4 race league for local clubs", €10 per race for CI members, €20 otherwise.

CX League Announcement: from Oldcastle Cc on Facebook.
    R1 Oct 21st
    R2 Nov  4th
    R3 Nov 18th
    R4 Dec  9th

Events: https://www.facebook.com/pg/oldcastlecyclingclub/events/

I think "Local Clubs" means the list that the mentioned on Facebook:
    Moynalty Cycling Club, Virginia Triathlon & Cycling Club, Team Cavan Racing, Trim Cycling Group, Sheelin Flyers Cycling Club, DB Cycling Club, Feel Good Bicycles, Navan Road Club and Bohermeen Cycling Club.

Oldcastle are also good for putting on a CX/MTB Sportive in very late December, no word on that yet.

I'm involved in arranging the CX League, we ran it last year and had people from not so local clubs so to speak, Swords, Balrothery, Lucan etc. If anyone is interested just bang off an email to OldcastleCC@gmail.com and we'll see if we can accommodate you.
    It's a varied course with grass/forest and not to be taken too serious, we try where possible to get everyone their lap times but don't want to add expense of chipped timing to keep the cost low for racers and encourage those new to the sport also.
    The Adventure X sportif is also in the planning stages and details are usually released end of October.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I rode the Lurgan race today. First one in 4 years. I had forgotten how hard they are. That memory came back quick enough though. Such an intense effort. Course was non-technical and very dry... hence fast. I sucked at the cornering for the first couple of laps. Got better as I went on, but still not great. Too much time lost on them. Only the spiders in my shed have been using my CX bike for the last 4 years so I guess I'm pleased enough. Pizza and wine time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭25sean

first step is the hardest... good to see you out again, now Pizza! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Rode the first race of the Munster league today in Killarney, run by my own club. The weather was dry and warm, and the course fast and hilly with lots of technical hairpins and a spiral. Richard Maes from Killarney cycling club won, Niall Somers from Worc second and Richard Barry from St Finnbarrs in 3rd,Kevin Keane in 4th. I came in 7th overall, 3rd M40. the field has gotten tougher every year, but no CX race is never easy anyway.
    St Finnbars are hosting next weeks race in Novartis in Ringaskiddy, should be a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Hoping to do some CX this year, skipped last year, was woeful year before! Anybody any recommendations for non bank account bursting wheels/tyres. Have a Caadx (disc) with two concrete blocks for wheels that need replacing! Hoping to do Oldcastle & Navan races

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Registration is now open for our first Blackwater Park CX race of 2018. Course has had some fettling with some changes. All the NRC crew have been hard at work!

0SGzOLwl.jpg

Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/NavanRoadClub/posts/2530567683635091?comment_id=2531010590257467&notif_id=1537812742668026&notif_t=feed_comment

Direct register link.

https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/BlackwaterParkCX

Parking as before, strictly in Navan Aura Leisure just across the road from Blackwater Park entrance

48B5wXWl.jpg

Hope to see some of you guys there. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Registration is now open for our first Blackwater Park CX race of 2018. Course has had some fettling with some changes. All the NRC crew have been hard at work!

0SGzOLwl.jpg

Facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/NavanRoadClub/posts/2530567683635091?comment_id=2531010590257467&notif_id=1537812742668026&notif_t=feed_comment

Direct register link.

https://register.primoevents.com/ps/event/BlackwaterParkCX

Parking as before, strictly in Navan Aura Leisure just across the road from Blackwater Park entrance

48B5wXWl.jpg

Hope to see some of you guys there. :cool:
    Interesting, A race before B race. Why not I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 G-monee

Does anyone know if a date or venue has been decided for the Leinster champs yet? What about a venue for the Nationals?
    Not that it's my year or anything 😜!
    Just trying to book the time off.
    Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

G-monee wrote: »
    Does anyone know if a date or venue has been decided for the Leinster champs yet? What about a venue for the Nationals?
    Not that it's my year or anything 😜!
    Just trying to book the time off.
    Ta!
    I havent heard a leinster champs being announced yet. I think applications were requested to host it on the 9th of December. Nationals are 13th January in Munster . I don't know where.

Interesting, A race before B race. Why not I guess.

B-Race finally getting some respect and top billing. :D

Although it comes at the risk of ****ty parking spots. I seen a fella in that Blackwater carpark taking up four spaces two years ago.

There is also American Football practice competing for the carpark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

1st round of Connacht Cyclocross league was on Sunday in Castlebar. great weather and a hilly course. fair play to Castlebar CC for organising.

anyone out west want a hard session then there are a few rounds left.

https://www.facebook.com/connachtcx/

462207.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

looking for recomendations for a half decent budget shoe ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

woody1 wrote: »
    looking for recomendations for a half decent budget shoe ..

ive a pair of these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-xc51-mtb-spd-shoes-black-white-2017/rp-prod127720
    from 3 years back and are really comfortable. i dont MTB so use just for CX with a pair of Shimano Pedals.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-m520-clipless-spd-mtb-pedals/rp-prod3759

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

B-Race finally getting some respect and top billing. :D

Although it comes at the risk of ****ty parking spots. I seen a fella in that Blackwater carpark taking up four spaces two years ago.

There is also American Football practice competing for the carpark too.

The car park is in Aura Leisure across the road, not the public car park for Blackwater Park. Part of our stipulations we have to adhere to continue use of the public park.

In the past we felt the A Race's had a much 'emptier' feel than others with a regards to spectating. Trying it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Anybody have a link to watch the World Cup races from Waterloo?

Advertisement