Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Éireann city services

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. Most likely no longer calling to Mervue shops.

http://news.galwaytransport.info/2018/09/cancellation-bus-403-extension-bus-401-salthill-to-parkmore.html

We await the mafia response ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

http://news.galwaytransport.info/2018/09/cancellation-bus-403-extension-bus-401-salthill-to-parkmore.html

Mafia? :confused:

Mafia? :confused:

The Mervue Mafia. Older cousins of the Ballybane Taliban.

I guess you're from the west side, and don't how the locals in these areas describe themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Knocknacara cartel? The Geordies?

Good news: The bus I caught this morning did go down to Mervue shops. And it turned up right on time. So far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Good news: The bus I caught this morning did go down to Mervue shops. And it turned up right on time. So far so good.

How long will that last for? Here is a mail I received recently from the regional manager for BE services in Galway about why the 403 doesn't run at certain times. She basically said that they were aware that a bus service would not run as there was no driver timetabled to drive any bus at that time.
    Dear *****,

I refer to your email and I want to apologise to you sincerely for the difficulties you encountered with route 403.

The 18.15 service which you referred to was operating behind schedule and was in Parkmore at the time of 18.27.

The bus and driver at 18.27 in Eyre Square you referred to was finishing his shift at this time and was returning back to the Depot.

Unfortunately due to peak hour traffic the services can be severely disrupted and it can take up to 2 hours before they return to schedule. I can assure you that the 403 service is monitored continually and interventions are made where necessary and where possible to keep the services running to schedule.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
    Regional Manager's Office,
    Bus Eireann,
    Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The Mervue Mafia. Older cousins of the Ballybane Taliban.

I guess you're from the west side, and don't how the locals in these areas describe themselves.

Ah right - that's very USA.
    They sound like those ridiculous American Sports teams Franchise names.

Our new double-decker buses have middle doors!

In a few minutes I'll see if the driver is willing to use 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Our new double-decker buses have middle doors! In a few minutes I'll see if the driver is willing to use 'em.
    CityDirect have them. Drivers only use them if a wheelchair user is aboard or when it reaches its terminus. Plus CD don't do cash change, exact fare or else. Fast boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Our new double-decker buses have middle doors!

In a few minutes I'll see if the driver is willing to use 'em.
    They didn't use them this morning on my journey.

• Advertisement

They didn't use them this morning on my journey.

Nor mine either. But they were on routes 403 and 409 this afternoon.

Here's a quick look:

461542.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

I got this new bus tonight and the bus driver told me it was a nice bus and all, but they don't have radios!

They didn't use the side doors on my bus this morning either. Are they going to use them at all, or are they only for wheelchair access?

Double decker was welcome, as the number of passengers was very high.

FitzShane wrote: »
    They didn't use the side doors on my bus this morning either. Are they going to use them at all, or are they only for wheelchair access?

Double decker was welcome, as the number of passengers was very high.

Used on mine yesterday only in Eyre Square, not intermediate stops.

And no radios .... no death notices on the trip to work! About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,288 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dublin bus drivers threatened to go on strike when the trannies were taken away. DB relented to pressure. Now everyone on the bus gets to hear Liveline.

Eyre Square / bigger stops with lots of footfall and not every stop makes sense alright. I don't think the doors opened in Eyre Square this morning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Anyone know what the issue with the 402 was this morning? I was at the stop 15 minuets before it was due at 7.50, it never arrived. The next one zoomed past, full to bursting at 8.23! Seems like the earlier one simply disappeared, leaving me in a panic calling a taxi to work. When it does show it’s unbelievably full. For a bus that services numerous schools and the hospital plus lots of work places, it’s just crazy. Passengers having to temporarily get off to allow those standing down the back to get off. Shocking ‘service’ that needs adjusting to make it work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone know what the issue with the 402 was this morning? I was at the stop 15 minuets before it was due at 7.50, it never arrived. The next one zoomed past, full to bursting at 8.23! Seems like the earlier one simply disappeared, leaving me in a panic calling a taxi to work. When it does show it’s unbelievably full. For a bus that services numerous schools and the hospital plus lots of work places, it’s just crazy. Passengers having to temporarily get off to allow those standing down the back to get off. Shocking ‘service’ that needs adjusting to make it work properly.

As for their Saturday morning 'service"!:mad::mad::mad:, so many disappearing bus's on one route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭jkforde

BÉ operates to keep their unions happy, not their customer base. buses of the 405 when i used it from its terminus at Ballybrit used to disappear regularly in the evenings and then two would turn up, one would stop and the other wizzed off empty... and same answer was 'rush hour, what can we do'.... which would explain fully why two buses tailgating each other would turn up together.:P

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does anyone use the Real Time Ireland App for city services? For stop 5 in Eyre Square (Rahoon) it's pure fiction.
    The Real Time screen at stop 5 is rarely correct as well as buses just disappear from the screen. Why is this?

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Real Time Ireland App for city services? For stop 5 in Eyre Square (Rahoon) it's pure fiction.
    The Real Time screen at stop 5 is rarely correct as well as buses just disappear from the screen. Why is this?

Can't prove it, but I believe it shows timetable data when actual real- time data from the buses isn't available - and that there is something the drivers can do which stops buses from transmitting data.

Can't prove it, but I believe it shows timetable data when actual real- time data from the buses isn't available - and that there is something the drivers can do which stops buses from transmitting data.

It is such a common occurrence it makes a mockery of itself.
    Why wouldn't real time data be available from the buses? Is there a technological issue or what that can not be overcome? I could understand if it happened once in a while. I have no stats but Dublin Bus' real time ( from experience) would be 95% correct.

Am not quite sure what you mean by drivers doing something which stops the transmission of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭jkforde

...and that there is something the drivers can do which stops buses from transmitting data.
    this beggars belief... they invest millions in this real-time system and some driver off on a 'personal detour' can turn it off... yet another prime time candidate not that highlighting these things does a blind bit of good

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I wish when they update their timetables, that they would remove the old ones from their website so that a google search cannot return the older timetable.

bobbyss wrote: »

Am not quite sure what you mean by drivers doing something which stops the transmission of data.

Commercial drivers often don't like the idea of big brother being able to track where they are at all times.

We know that when they sign out of the ticketing system, eg when changing drivers, the bus disappears off the system for a few minutes. I suspect there are other methods too.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

What's going on with the 409 terminus stop at Eyre Square during rush hours. I assumed that the increase in service would mean that people wouldn't be waiting too long. I stood there from 6pm last night to 6.40 waiting for a bus.
    Saw several disappear from the electric schedule indicator as I waited.
    Then saw a load of them coming in the opposite direction when we did manage to get underway.
    Are they skipping Eyre Square in the rush hour? That can't make sense can it. I think some people were left waiting when the bus did get filled and leave. Plus people were told not to stand on the upper deck. Not seen that happening before, might be safer but would think it had to do with how many people were waiting too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I do know traffic has been very bad this week parkmore side, yesterday in particular was insane, the parkmore road and junction up to briarhill Dunnes just didn't move for an age, took close to two hours to get any real movement..
    Guessing that drivers were due shift changes or breaks then..

Stevolende wrote:
    What's going on with the 409 terminus stop at Eyre Square during rush hours. I assumed that the increase in service would mean that people wouldn't be waiting too long. I stood there from 6pm last night to 6.40 waiting for a bus. Saw several disappear from the electric schedule indicator as I waited. Then saw a load of them coming in the opposite direction when we did manage to get underway. Are they skipping Eyre Square in the rush hour? That can't make sense can it. I think some people were left waiting when the bus did get filled and leave. Plus people were told not to stand on the upper deck. Not seen that happening before, might be safer but would think it had to do with how many people were waiting too.

I share your pain. The 'old disappearing bus trick'. Fuming I would be. Often I have walked to my destination rather than put up with that nonsense. Sometimes the bus I had been waiting for passes me by. I swear I see it smirk at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was up in Parkmore last week and there were 5 409 buses there I can only assume that they are getting caught in our famous traffic and causing problems with their achedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Yet again, all week packed into the morning bus. Having to get off on Bohermore to allow passengers at the back disembark. Then on a Saturday at 2pm double decker drives past with maybe 8/10 people on board. Simply idiotic.

Advertisement