Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Éireann city services

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed. Most likely no longer calling to Mervue shops.

http://news.galwaytransport.info/2018/09/cancellation-bus-403-extension-bus-401-salthill-to-parkmore.html

We await the mafia response ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

http://news.galwaytransport.info/2018/09/cancellation-bus-403-extension-bus-401-salthill-to-parkmore.html

Mafia? :confused:

Mafia? :confused:

The Mervue Mafia. Older cousins of the Ballybane Taliban.

I guess you're from the west side, and don't how the locals in these areas describe themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Knocknacara cartel? The Geordies?

Good news: The bus I caught this morning did go down to Mervue shops. And it turned up right on time. So far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,033 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Good news: The bus I caught this morning did go down to Mervue shops. And it turned up right on time. So far so good.

How long will that last for? Here is a mail I received recently from the regional manager for BE services in Galway about why the 403 doesn't run at certain times. She basically said that they were aware that a bus service would not run as there was no driver timetabled to drive any bus at that time.
    Dear *****,

I refer to your email and I want to apologise to you sincerely for the difficulties you encountered with route 403.

The 18.15 service which you referred to was operating behind schedule and was in Parkmore at the time of 18.27.

The bus and driver at 18.27 in Eyre Square you referred to was finishing his shift at this time and was returning back to the Depot.

Unfortunately due to peak hour traffic the services can be severely disrupted and it can take up to 2 hours before they return to schedule. I can assure you that the 403 service is monitored continually and interventions are made where necessary and where possible to keep the services running to schedule.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,
    Regional Manager's Office,
    Bus Eireann,
    Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The Mervue Mafia. Older cousins of the Ballybane Taliban.

I guess you're from the west side, and don't how the locals in these areas describe themselves.

Ah right - that's very USA.
    They sound like those ridiculous American Sports teams Franchise names.

Our new double-decker buses have middle doors!

In a few minutes I'll see if the driver is willing to use 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Our new double-decker buses have middle doors! In a few minutes I'll see if the driver is willing to use 'em.
    CityDirect have them. Drivers only use them if a wheelchair user is aboard or when it reaches its terminus. Plus CD don't do cash change, exact fare or else. Fast boarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Our new double-decker buses have middle doors!

In a few minutes I'll see if the driver is willing to use 'em.
    They didn't use them this morning on my journey.

• Advertisement

They didn't use them this morning on my journey.

Nor mine either. But they were on routes 403 and 409 this afternoon.

Here's a quick look:

461542.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

I got this new bus tonight and the bus driver told me it was a nice bus and all, but they don't have radios!

They didn't use the side doors on my bus this morning either. Are they going to use them at all, or are they only for wheelchair access?

Double decker was welcome, as the number of passengers was very high.

FitzShane wrote: »
    They didn't use the side doors on my bus this morning either. Are they going to use them at all, or are they only for wheelchair access?

Double decker was welcome, as the number of passengers was very high.

Used on mine yesterday only in Eyre Square, not intermediate stops.

And no radios .... no death notices on the trip to work! About time.

Dublin bus drivers threatened to go on strike when the trannies were taken away. DB relented to pressure. Now everyone on the bus gets to hear Liveline.

Eyre Square / bigger stops with lots of footfall and not every stop makes sense alright. I don't think the doors opened in Eyre Square this morning though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Anyone know what the issue with the 402 was this morning? I was at the stop 15 minuets before it was due at 7.50, it never arrived. The next one zoomed past, full to bursting at 8.23! Seems like the earlier one simply disappeared, leaving me in a panic calling a taxi to work. When it does show it’s unbelievably full. For a bus that services numerous schools and the hospital plus lots of work places, it’s just crazy. Passengers having to temporarily get off to allow those standing down the back to get off. Shocking ‘service’ that needs adjusting to make it work properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone know what the issue with the 402 was this morning? I was at the stop 15 minuets before it was due at 7.50, it never arrived. The next one zoomed past, full to bursting at 8.23! Seems like the earlier one simply disappeared, leaving me in a panic calling a taxi to work. When it does show it’s unbelievably full. For a bus that services numerous schools and the hospital plus lots of work places, it’s just crazy. Passengers having to temporarily get off to allow those standing down the back to get off. Shocking ‘service’ that needs adjusting to make it work properly.

As for their Saturday morning 'service"!:mad::mad::mad:, so many disappearing bus's on one route.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

BÉ operates to keep their unions happy, not their customer base. buses of the 405 when i used it from its terminus at Ballybrit used to disappear regularly in the evenings and then two would turn up, one would stop and the other wizzed off empty... and same answer was 'rush hour, what can we do'.... which would explain fully why two buses tailgating each other would turn up together.:P

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does anyone use the Real Time Ireland App for city services? For stop 5 in Eyre Square (Rahoon) it's pure fiction.
    The Real Time screen at stop 5 is rarely correct as well as buses just disappear from the screen. Why is this?

• Advertisement

bobbyss wrote: »
    Does anyone use the Real Time Ireland App for city services? For stop 5 in Eyre Square (Rahoon) it's pure fiction.
    The Real Time screen at stop 5 is rarely correct as well as buses just disappear from the screen. Why is this?

Can't prove it, but I believe it shows timetable data when actual real- time data from the buses isn't available - and that there is something the drivers can do which stops buses from transmitting data.

Can't prove it, but I believe it shows timetable data when actual real- time data from the buses isn't available - and that there is something the drivers can do which stops buses from transmitting data.

It is such a common occurrence it makes a mockery of itself.
    Why wouldn't real time data be available from the buses? Is there a technological issue or what that can not be overcome? I could understand if it happened once in a while. I have no stats but Dublin Bus' real time ( from experience) would be 95% correct.

Am not quite sure what you mean by drivers doing something which stops the transmission of data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

...and that there is something the drivers can do which stops buses from transmitting data.
    this beggars belief... they invest millions in this real-time system and some driver off on a 'personal detour' can turn it off... yet another prime time candidate not that highlighting these things does a blind bit of good

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I wish when they update their timetables, that they would remove the old ones from their website so that a google search cannot return the older timetable.

Am not quite sure what you mean by drivers doing something which stops the transmission of data.

Commercial drivers often don't like the idea of big brother being able to track where they are at all times.

We know that when they sign out of the ticketing system, eg when changing drivers, the bus disappears off the system for a few minutes. I suspect there are other methods too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

What's going on with the 409 terminus stop at Eyre Square during rush hours. I assumed that the increase in service would mean that people wouldn't be waiting too long. I stood there from 6pm last night to 6.40 waiting for a bus.
    Saw several disappear from the electric schedule indicator as I waited.
    Then saw a load of them coming in the opposite direction when we did manage to get underway.
    Are they skipping Eyre Square in the rush hour? That can't make sense can it. I think some people were left waiting when the bus did get filled and leave. Plus people were told not to stand on the upper deck. Not seen that happening before, might be safer but would think it had to do with how many people were waiting too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I do know traffic has been very bad this week parkmore side, yesterday in particular was insane, the parkmore road and junction up to briarhill Dunnes just didn't move for an age, took close to two hours to get any real movement..
    Guessing that drivers were due shift changes or breaks then..

Stevolende wrote:
    What's going on with the 409 terminus stop at Eyre Square during rush hours. I assumed that the increase in service would mean that people wouldn't be waiting too long. I stood there from 6pm last night to 6.40 waiting for a bus. Saw several disappear from the electric schedule indicator as I waited. Then saw a load of them coming in the opposite direction when we did manage to get underway. Are they skipping Eyre Square in the rush hour? That can't make sense can it. I think some people were left waiting when the bus did get filled and leave. Plus people were told not to stand on the upper deck. Not seen that happening before, might be safer but would think it had to do with how many people were waiting too.

I share your pain. The 'old disappearing bus trick'. Fuming I would be. Often I have walked to my destination rather than put up with that nonsense. Sometimes the bus I had been waiting for passes me by. I swear I see it smirk at me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Was up in Parkmore last week and there were 5 409 buses there I can only assume that they are getting caught in our famous traffic and causing problems with their achedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Yet again, all week packed into the morning bus. Having to get off on Bohermore to allow passengers at the back disembark. Then on a Saturday at 2pm double decker drives past with maybe 8/10 people on board. Simply idiotic.

The 409 I was on a bit after 4pm today needed its double-deck: 75% full for some parts of the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Odd I thought they specifically ran single deckers in the rush hour.

405 has been consistently worse ever since they implemented the new timetable. (And by new timetable I mean nothing actually changed as there are no increased service, no changes times etc).

Nothing will ever be done to fix this route. It's a joke.

Either no bus shows up for 40+ mins at a stop or else 2 show up at the same time. BE have a special ability to not be able to have services provided during peak hours.

Again the buses get stuck in the traffic created by the private cars, particularly during rush hour - hence why they are late repeatedly.
    It is not the bus driver's fault.

The majority of the time, yes that it correct.

But some drivers are just not utilizing the buses to their full capacity. What is the point in having buses with middle opening doors if the middle doors do not open at stops and still force everyone to leave the bus through the front door before allowing new passengers to enter the bus. Causes delays.

BE / NTA doing nothing to help them either. Service is getting worse, they are aware of it but no changes or additional services will be made or provided.

• Advertisement

405 really does get the raw end on the deal in terms of unscheduled cancellations.

Its almost like someone in BÉ management hates Rahoon.

Has anyone ever called an inspector while waiting for a delayed bus to get an explanation or update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Waiting for the 401 at Caesar’s Palace in Salthill this evening and the real time info online was way off. The bus was late but looking at the “real time” info on my phone, apparently the bus was at Fr Griffin Road at the same time it actually arrived at Caesars Palace. The system is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I seriously doubt the Real Time is working off GPS. I reckon it's counting down the timetable

flazio wrote: »
    I seriously doubt the Real Time is working off GPS. I reckon it's counting down the timetable
    Definitely doesn't work solely to timetable, there are differences from bus to bus.

• Advertisement

flazio wrote: »

It's a mixture of both.

Sometimes it's spot on for late buses. Sometimes its not.

Waiting for the 401 at Caesar’s Palace in Salthill this evening and the real time info online was way off. The bus was late but looking at the “real time†info on my phone, apparently the bus was at Fr Griffin Road at the same time it actually arrived at Caesars Palace. The system is a joke.

It's worse than a joke. Last week there were two 404s and one 405 dancing a jig on the real time at Eyre Square stop. Some of them disappeared for a short time then returned for an encore. Changing times forward and backwards. Meanwhile the phone was telling a different story. It had just gone six o'clock and I had thought of ringing the inspector or whoever but thought as it was past five they would have all ....ed off home and what was the point any way.
    Dublin Bus realtime thingy is correct I would say 95% of the time. Is it not the same system? Why is it not working in Galway? The issue is constant and long standing.

Waiting for the 401 at Caesar’s Palace in Salthill this evening and the real time info online was way off. The bus was late but looking at the “real time†info on my phone, apparently the bus was at Fr Griffin Road at the same time it actually arrived at Caesars Palace. The system is a joke.

It's worse than a joke. Last week there were two 404s and one 405 dancing a jig on the real time at Eyre Square stop. Some of them disappeared for a short time then returned for an encore. Changing times forward and backwards. Meanwhile the phone was telling a different story. It had just gone six o'clock and I had thought of ringing the inspector or whoever but thought as it was past five they would have all ....ed off home and what was the point any way.
    Dublin Bus realtime thingy is correct I would say 95% of the time. Is it not the same system? Why is it not working in Galway? The issue is constant and long standing.
    It's called traffic.

It's called traffic.

Its is not traffic that causes the real time signs to display inconsistently. I'm about 80% sure it's something the drivers do.

It's called traffic.

Its is not traffic that causes the real time signs to display inconsistently. I'm about 80% sure it's something the drivers do.
    Not on every occasion but a lot of it is traffic related, I see it any time I use a bus, it's not that hard to figure it out. As an example the RT board shows 5 minutes, 6 later it's 3, traffic is heavy, end result is a delayed bus.

You mentioned this previously. I would reckon that Dublin Bus Realtime is over 90% spot on anytime I use it. Very impressive it is. I have never heard anything about them doing anything to interfere with it. Are you suggesting something nefarious in the west? What would they be doing and why?

+1
    I'm a regular user of the 402 service to Knocknacarra. Most workday evenings, if there is no service after 5pm until 6:15pm or later.

The realtime signs and app are a complete joke.
    The times on the official app are completely different to the signs at the bus stops, and neither of these correspond to when the bus actually arrives.

There is obviously a setup issue in the way the realtime info for the 402 bus has been commissioned. For example, the 402 realtimes for buses travelling from Merlin Park towards Eyre Square show the times for Prospect Hill, the last stop immediately before Eyre Square, to be a few mins after the times for Eyre Square.

I've tried complaining to the NTA - their realtime report an issue page hasn't worked in months - it gives an error when you try to save a complaint. I've called them 4 or 5 times since, and each time they have said that a 'developer' would call back.

It's frustrating because as bobbyss correctly points out, the signs and app are very accurate in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

It's called traffic.

In this day and age they should have their realtime app synced with Google maps that would provide a more accurate eta

BusEireann stated that their average bus speed in Galway rush hour is 7.5kph
    The worst in the country.

That is only marginally faster than walking!

Got a 402 from NUIG at 6.20pm last week heading to Seacrest. The driver told me he left Merlin at 4.30pm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement