Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

ixoy wrote: »
    A far far bigger number, let's be honest. The ones who benefit, like those who are those starting early at East Point which is nothing next to the thousands who are trying to get just get into town without being crushed, delayed, or not even boarding the damn train (and that includes Clongriffin sometimes it would seem!)

Clongriffin does very well from a frequency point of view though, it was pretty much every half an hour first half of peak at the old timetable and now it's every 20 minutes so that's for sure an improvement. Remember little of the commuters would stop there, they didn't get to see the same number that Portmarnock saw for instance.

Those getting a Malahide DART in the evening time were shafted though with the 40 minute gap between them which was ridiculous, since often you'd wait for one, not be able to get on and the next one, 40 minutes later, you also could not be sure of getting on whilst you saw plenty of Howth's with plenty of room.

That being said, whilst the old timetable wasn't perfect for everyone as I've illustrated above,with the constraints of the rolling stock numbers we had, could they have fixed the issues in the old one without much bigger wider changes? Possibly, although Irish Rail spent years saying some of the above issues could not be fixed without mass changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

A few weeks are not over. The data PROVES that this is a better service for all commuters). You had become habituated and institutionalised to the old service but a new world of higher frequency and faster trains is just around the corner.

Where’s that data?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

it's not as simple as taking an 8 car from the southside as the 8 car doesn't just stay on the south side but comes north. to take an 8 car from the south side you are going to have to terminate short, meaning you take capacity from them and in turn quite possibly cause there to be a capacity problem where one possibly doesn't exist currently.
    Well I mean swap around a rush-hour train. Time it so that was a 8-carriage train coming from the southside hitting the likes of Tara Street around 08:45 is now a 4-carriage, swapped in for say the Howth southbound DART that arrives at the same time that is currently a 4 carriage. We're not terminating any trains, looking for any extra trrains, just changing the timings of their arrivals. Maybe it'll make things more uncomfortable for some southbound services but allow them to still get in without anyone having to miss multiple trains in a row.

Sure you're robbing Peter to pay Paul, but Paul is bloody broke now, cup in hand, "Can you spare some carriages for the trainless?"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

ixoy wrote: »
    Well I mean swap around a rush-hour train. Time it so that was a 8-carriage train coming from the southside hitting the likes of Tara Street around 08:45 is now a 4-carriage, swapped in for say the Howth southbound DART that arrives at the same time that is currently a 4 carriage. We're not terminating any trains, looking for any extra trrains, just changing the timings of their arrivals. Maybe it'll make things more uncomfortable for some southbound services but allow them to still get in without anyone having to miss multiple trains in a row.

Sure you're robbing Peter to pay Paul, but Paul is bloody broke now, cup in hand, "Can you spare some carriages for the trainless?"

yeah i get what you mean now. however there is still the problem of potentially causing a capacity issue on the south side where by the looks of it there isn't a capacity problem that we know of, which means the issues currently existing are extended further which would not be a good idea in my view.
    at least as things are the issues are contained to the north branches, which granted isn't any good to you and others effected, but at least there is the potential to slightly minimise the issues short term by stopping all the suburbans at portmarnock and clongriffen at rush hour if there is capacity on those services to help out.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

To be fair, I think some of the issues is timing

With schools colleges back I think we would have seen some of this anyways. More and more living Northside and commuting to town

New or old timetable it cannot cope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,167 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

naughtb4 wrote: »
    To be fair, I think some of the issues is timing

With schools colleges back I think we would have seen some of this anyways. More and more living Northside and commuting to town

New or old timetable it cannot cope

the timetable did not change until the 9th. the schools were back before then and we did not have the current problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Sh1t show again at Connolly last night. Train to malahide was late, arrived at about 18:05 and was full. At Connolly. Full. I pushed on, but few else up my end got on.

The service is an utter failure if it fails to service a centre station at peak rush hour

Bravo IE <slow clap>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

Zulu wrote: »
    Sh1t show again at Connolly last night. Train to malahide was late, arrived at about 18:05 and was full. At Connolly. Full. I pushed on, but few else up my end got on.

I was on that one from Pearse and totally agree - its not a full train like it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

the timetable did not change until the 9th. the schools were back before then and we did not have the current problems.

Were the colleges?

they need more/longer trains

Were the colleges?

I dont think all the colleges are back yet. But it is not the colleges or the schools that is the issue. We didnt have these issues last september. We are having them this september. Maybe it is just a coincidence that we are having these issues immediately after a timetable change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

A few weeks are not over. The data PROVES that this is a better service for all commuters). You had become habituated and institutionalised to the old service but a new world of higher frequency and faster trains is just around the corner.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Zulu wrote: »

The service is an utter failure if it fails to service a centre station at peak rush hour

Bravo IE <slow clap>
    There would have been a train following about 2 minutes later. The good news story is that the people who didn't push on got a comfortable journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Were the colleges?

That isn't on the cards for financial reasons. Irish Rail are doing more with less.

That isn't on the cards for financial reasons. Irish Rail are doing more with less.

Any chance of linking to the data you mentioned? The experience on the ground does not seem to match this "data".

There would have been a train following about 2 minutes later. The good news story is that the people who didn't push on got a comfortable journey.

source?

incorrect. irish rail are not doing more with less, but are doing the same as they were before, all be it they are now spreading their capacity thin via an increased frequency, which by the looks of the real data, isn't benefiting the people like it could and should.
    what are these "financial" reasons that are preventing longer trains from being on the cards? it's certainly not lack of money as there is plenty of money in the country. trains will take time to tender and order and build but that's nothing really to do with "financial reasons"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

And that train would have been going to Howth. Not a good news story for passengers going to Malahide, Portmarnock or Clongriffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Good girl Marie; top marks for entirely missing the point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually they are, the government has put aside 2 billion for the DART Expansion project and they are currently preparing a tender for a large number of new trains.

Of course that won't sort the immediate issues. Though the refurbishment of the 2,700 class which are due to be introduced around the end of the year, start of next year, will allow ICR's down the country to be moved to Dublin and boost capacity.

bk wrote: »
    Actually they are, the government has put aside 2 billion for the DART Expansion project and they are currently preparing a tender for a large number of new trains.

Of course that won't sort the immediate issues. Though the refurbishment of the 2,700 class which are due to be introduced around the end of the year, start of next year, will allow ICR's down the country to be moved to Dublin and boost capacity.

i'd be surprised if it isn't the 2800s they are swapped with or they don't stay in the dublin area themselves. either 27 or 2800 would offer a lot more capacity over all then an ICR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Lots of delays tonight [Friday]. Not sure what went wrong. Bigger problem seems to be delayed communication also. 1 hour delays to Maynooth, but also other routes. Lots of customer tweets unanswered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

i'd be surprised if it isn't the 2800s they are swapped with or they don't stay in the dublin area themselves. either 27 or 2800 would offer a lot more capacity over all then an ICR.

I would hope so the ICRs are not suitable for commuter work

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I would hope so the ICRs are not suitable for commuter work

completely agree. it doesn't look like that particular issue will be addressed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Lots of delays tonight [Friday]. Not sure what went wrong. Bigger problem seems to be delayed communication also. 1 hour delays to Maynooth, but also other routes. Lots of customer tweets unanswered.

I haven't seen the Irish Rail twitter tonight so can't comment on that specifically, but I have to say that whoever runs the Irish Rail account generally does a great job and has been getting through a trojan amount of work in the last couple of weeks with all the flak directed at them. I wouldn't want their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,255 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why don't they have 8 carriages on every single train between first train in the morning and 10am?

Why don't they have 8 carriages on every single train between first train in the morning and 10am?

basically as said already there aren't enough units to have all 8 car trains and run a 10 minute frequency. there are only enough units to allow either a mostly 6 to 8 car service at a lesser frequency, or a mostly 4/6 with some 8 car service at the 10 minute frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

So they should reduce the frequency, increase the train capacity and there will be fewer delays.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    So they should reduce the frequency, increase the train capacity and there will be fewer delays.

I went into town last night on the Dart. The train was running late, with a 15 min to next train, and then the driver left the doors open for a lot longer than normal, and drove the train slower than normal. The return journey was almost the same, with the driver slowing between stations, despite the previous train being at least 12 minutes ahead.

I think there is some sort of driver (in)action going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Cancellations tonight as per Irish rail Twitter:

17:30hrs Malahide Bray
    19:25hrs Bray Howth
    20:45hrs Howth Bray
    22:10hrs Bray Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Another bad night for customers on Darts, Maynooth and Drogheda trains. Aside from the published cancellations lots of delays to anything going near Connolly Sat evening. But main issue seems to lack of communication. Also with all the suburban trains @ weekend going from Connolly now, passengers missed their trains as they waited on the Dart platforms where they went from previously. Suggest they make announcements every few minutes @ weekends for next month reminding everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

Surely there must be a timetable run possible that has peaks inbound 8 Carr in the rush and outbound 8s in the evening, cover the missing other directions with a dmu you can’t tell me the whole fleet is on the road

Advertisement