Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Delays through connolly this morning because of congestion. It’s as if no one in Irish rail foresaw any of these problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

ixoy wrote: »
    Surely, since the issues seem to be overwhelmingly on the Northside, they need to run some longer ones there even if it means taking one from the southside? We don't know if they could cope but we do know that the Northside can't cope. Killester, where I am, seems to be suffering the worst after eight.

I pass through Fairview each morning and there are 2/3 DARTS parked up. What is the story with that?

One was getting graffiti washed off...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

PCros wrote: »
    I pass through Fairview each morning and there are 2/3 DARTS parked up. What is the story with that?

One was getting graffiti washed off...:rolleyes:

Service/maintenance you will never have 100% of the rolling stock deployed. Sets would need to taken out due to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Does anyone know the exact reason for this mornings delays? Every day since the new timetable was implemented there is a specific unrelated issue (mostly small enough) but which has significant impacts to any train going thru Connolly. There is now huge padding and longer journey times for Northern Suburban line, so plenty of time to make up from delays on Dart etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Don’t think anyone getting Malahide darts is feeling like a winner. The new timetable is worse in terms of crowding and not being anywhere close to the timetable journey times.

By 8.30am on a weekday Malahide has had 13 direct trains to Pearse. In contrast Maynooth has had 5.

Since all DARTs and all Northern Commuter trains stop in Malahide, overall it's possibly the best served station in the country after Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

n97 mini wrote: »
    Don’t think anyone getting Malahide darts is feeling like a winner. The new timetable is worse in terms of crowding and not being anywhere close to the timetable journey times.

By 8.30am on a weekday Malahide has had 13 direct trains to Pearse. In contrast Maynooth has had 5.

Since all DARTs and all Northern Commuter trains stop in Malahide, overall it's possibly the best served station in the country after Connolly.

Not really. The best service falls to those on the Dart spine since they get all the Darts. Not those on the branches like Malahide which get half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

devnull wrote: »
    Not really. The best service falls to those on the Dart spine since they get all the Darts. Not those on the branches like Malahide which get half.

True, they get a more frequent service, but they don't get the benefit of non-stop running for a lot of their services. I know people living in Malahide who refer to these as "bullet trains". Bit of an exaggeration but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

n97 mini wrote: »

But surely the population on the Dart line is a lot greater than the population on the Maynooth line.

Also commuters stop there because there is a connecting bus service to Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Of course it is, DART line has 2 lines combined, howth/malahide to Connolly and Connolly to bray/greystones compared to 1 on the Maynooth line

For reference , 3324 passengers used malahide station on census day in 2017 compared to 3126 using Maynooth station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Does anyone know the number of 4 carriage darts in service now? There are a few 6 and 8 carriage trains going north in evening rush hour between 5 and 6pm but it seems everything else is short trains.

Crush loading on short trains now extends from before 5 till well after 6 where before the trains were longer and much more manageable.

This new timetable is such a step backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It'd be interesting to try and build up a picture of it. The 18:09 service from Tara is a 4 carriage anyway, any time I've tried it.

It'd also be interesting to work out the 4/6/8 carriage DARTs that go southbound during the peak period (i.e. crossing through city centre from 17:00 - 18:30 ) versus northbound.
    Similarly in the morning (trains getting into the city centre for between 08:00 - 09:30) by checking the total number of DART carriages at a DART station like Kilbarrack versus, I dunno, Sydney Parade. A comparison against the previous time table for both would be great as the balance now seems completely off, even taking into account the commuter trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

thomasj wrote: »
    Of course it is, DART line has 2 lines combined, howth/malahide to Connolly and Connolly to bray/greystones compared to 1 on the Maynooth line

For reference , 3324 passengers used malahide station on census day in 2017 compared to 3126 using Maynooth station.
    Just bear in mind thats ALL passengers, it doesn't show direction, if you dive deeper into the numbers it will show who went away from Dublin not towards it

Just bear in mind thats ALL passengers, it doesn't show direction, if you dive deeper into the numbers it will show who went away from Dublin not towards it

In that case it's 2951 for malahide compared to 2886 for Maynooth

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Think there would be sufficient demand to run another, earlier, Maynooth-Bray commuter (eg departing Maynooth at 7:40am). Would take pressure off other Maynooth trains and DART connection, since a lot of passengers seem to be going to Tara St, Pearse, GCD and Lansdowne.

They'd just need to source another 8-car set!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,766 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the number of 4 carriage darts in service now? There are a few 6 and 8 carriage trains going north in evening rush hour between 5 and 6pm but it seems everything else is short trains.

Crush loading on short trains now extends from before 5 till well after 6 where before the trains were longer and much more manageable.

This new timetable is such a step backwards.

18.02 from Pearse to Greystones was a 4-car train last night. Ridiculous putting a 4-car on a peak service to Greystones, particularly as the next Dart to Greystones that used to be in the old timetable has been removed in the new one, so there's now a 40 minute gap to the next service (a Rosslare train).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

loyatemu wrote: »
    18.02 from Pearse to Greystones was a 4-car train last night. Ridiculous putting a 4-car on a peak service to Greystones, particularly as the next Dart to Greystones that used to be in the old timetable has been removed in the new one, so there's now a 40 minute gap to the next service (a Rosslare train).

Sound like a perfectly adequate service. There are ample bus connections from Bray to Greystones and it is only a twenty minute cycle.

Seems like a perfectly adequate service. It is regularity of service that matters not timetabling.

I suppose that the Kildare/ West Dublin people lack the extraordinary sense of entitlement of the Dartsiders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I suppose that the Kildare/ West Dublin people lack the extraordinary sense of entitlement of the Dartsiders.

Or they have bigger trains?

Struggle to get on the 8.14 in Donabate today again

naughtb4 wrote: »

Caused by idiots refusing to move down the carriage (you are not an idiot naughtybefore you are a victim of idiots).

I agree that the Dart should be reconfigured - most seats should be removed and the 'priority seating' rule should be enforced (ideally violently).

The longest possible journey is only an hour and a half - no fit person should need a seat for a journey of that length.

Conversely as you say Maynooth line trains should be lengthened and it would be nice if the free tea and coffee could be provided more regularly.

• Advertisement

Conversely as you say Maynooth line trains should be lengthened and it would be nice if the free tea and coffee could be provided more regularly.

While longer trains on the Maynooth line are needed the issue is that they have pushed the 8am-ish Maynooth bray train (the busiest commuter train according to the 2017 census) back and behind the Sligo train that the service is now unsuitable for anyone trying to get into work in the city before 9

These people are being pushed onto an earlier train (intercity type train) that is frankly not suitable for these numbers and a lot of people (according to twitter) are being left on platforms

This is one of the biggest screwups (and let's be honest, there's been quite a few!) Talk about shooting yourself in the foot !

naughtb4 wrote:

naughtb4 wrote:

You're joking ? People have been left on the platforms again this morning because they're now having to board a 4 coach intercity train instead of an 8 coach commuter.

This is all down to the screwed up timings .

Seems like a perfectly adequate service. It is regularity of service that matters not timetabling.

Yeah im sure when people are crushed inside the door of their train or not able to board on the platform and late for work they're smiling*, knowing that at least their trains are coming more frequently .

*Presuming they have enough room to move their mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

You're joking ? People have been left on the platforms again this morning because they're now having to board a 4 coach intercity train instead of an 8 coach commuter.

This is all down to the screwed up timings .

Or a population growth (and employment growth) that has not been met by increased train capacity on some key lines

Yeah im sure when people are crushed inside the door of their train or not able to board on the platform and late for work they're smiling*, knowing that at least their trains are coming more frequently .

*Presuming they have enough room to move their mouth
    Again problem very largely caused by the refusal of some idiots (NOT ANYONE ON THIS CHAT) to move down the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Sound like a perfectly adequate service. There are ample bus connections from Bray to Greystones and it is only a twenty minute cycle.

You obviously don't live south of bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Again problem very largely caused by the refusal of some idiots (NOT ANYONE ON THIS CHAT) to move down the train.

incorrect. the problem is caused by the fact the capacity isn't there to run both a 10 minute service and offer the necessary capacity to take all the people. + the suburbans apart from a couple no longer stop at the more major dart stations on the north side.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I can only imagine that you're intentionally trying to wind people up with this comment.

There is a half hourly weekday day service. My annual rail ticket does not cover bus.

With this type of attitude, no wonder we're so far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I agree that the Dart should be reconfigured - most seats should be removed and the 'priority seating' rule should be enforced (ideally violently).

Surely we want issues resolved “ideally peacefully” on trains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

loyatemu wrote: »

Sound like a perfectly adequate service.   There are ample bus connections from Bray to Greystones and it is only a twenty minute cycle.
    The 184 is only every half an hour.  The 84, while not as bad as it was...you are more likley to see a bald eagle than an 84 they are still infrequent enough.  You'd easily be waiting 30 min or more unless you were lucky enough to get an 84X.   Contrast that to the 145 every 10 min or the 46a where you could turn up anytime and not be waiting very long before one shows up.  Of course Delgany does not have the same population as Donnybrook or Stillorgan but it's not an easy service.  It's an akward as hell area to get out of and if you were trying to get to work and do so with enough flexibility built into the schedule so you're not constantly late, it would be very aggravating.
    Cycling is all well and good but as many have pointed out before, those of us who have to go to work in a shirt and tie can't go there on the bike because not only would the weather (esp in winter) destroy you but on those roads it would not be a safe journey (it's not exactly cycle lane central).  Thinking myself, I hit the gym each morning before my college/work day starts and naturally since you're not working out right if you 're not breaking a sweat, and unlike most who use the gym I'm serious about it, I sweat quite a lot, so I shower afterwards.  I would then have to either shower again at work (whos workplace has one?) or sit in less comfort during the day.  I realize cycling at moderate pace would not exactly bucket you in sweat, and you could stopgap things with a few sprays of antipersperant but there would be enough that when it dries it would leave you shifty and uncomfortable. 
    Most of us would start our day cleanly shaven and showered and feeling fresh and polished that feeling would be ruined by a cycle IMO
    I realize only about 1% of the country do things like hit the gym before work at the crack of dawn, but I'm pointing out that for a lot of people there are complications that would not make every option available to them.
    This is all before getting into the domino efffect the Rosslare train has on the DART....every ...SINGLE...F
    KING DAY....EVERY SINGLE DAY without fail.

Advertisement