Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i presume the bone shaker came back on the early service this morning?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

i presume the bone shaker came back on the early service this morning?

Nope 17.05 which is a 7 car works 05.40. 29 prob on 09.00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Howth Junction to Pearse 45 minutes today from entrance to exit.

Just an update for those that told the thousands of late existing customers to wait a week or two to see how this great new service for imaginary new customers has gone. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

Northbound trains are a complete f'up at 17:49 and 18:09!

Before I would never have an issue boarding the train at Tara station but after these changes the only way I'll board the train is if I'm standing exactly where the doors open or I'm in the front of the group. At this point I've resorted to boarding any northbound train that stops at Howth Junction and then wait there till the next Malahide bound train arrives.

I may be missing something here but these new time tables were supposed to introduce 10 minutes services? I'm seeing 20 minutes difference with significantly shorter carriages that has no hope in carrying everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

thomasj wrote: »
    Exactly!

And at the end of the page they apologise for the inconvenience it may cause.

FFS. How ironic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Kh1993 wrote: »
    Howth Junction to Pearse 45 minutes today from entrance to exit.

10 mins to cross the loopline bridge the other day.

At least the view was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It's an unmitigated ****show.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Zulu wrote: »
    It's an unmitigated ****show.
    Northside DART users are extremely unhappy. Northern Line Commuters are really unhappy. Maynooth/Sligo line users are also very unhappy with the new time table and southsiders, while obviously not suffering to the same degree, don't appear that pushed about it either.
    Twitter, not only talking about people not getting on, has daily cases of people fainting on the over packed trains.

What will it take for them to revert the time table changes? Is it stubbornness by management? The NTA? Too many people put out by this compared to the small few who benefit. They need to sort out the capacity issues and if they can't arrange their trains properly then revert until they have enough carriages. It's really straight forward and I don't understand why it's the passengers who have to point this out to them.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

ixoy wrote: »
    Northside DART users are extremely unhappy. Northern Line Commuters are really unhappy. Maynooth/Sligo line users are also very unhappy with the new time table and southsiders, while obviously not suffering to the same degree, don't appear that pushed about it either.
    Twitter, not only talking about people not getting on, has daily cases of people fainting on the over packed trains.

What will it take for them to revert the time table changes? Is it stubbornness by management? The NTA? Too many people put out by this compared to the small few who benefit. They need to sort out the capacity issues and if they can't arrange their trains properly then revert until they have enough carriages. It's really straight forward and I don't understand why it's the passengers who have to point this out to them.

Add Greystones to that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

You would imagine a prerequisite of running a rail system would be understanding the supply and demand of the system at specific times. This has been planned for ages, the fact they got is so badly wrong is mind boggling. It's such a basic thing. Management appear to have a lot to answer for here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

First Sligo now in excess of ten minutes late to Maynooth. What is causing this delay every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yet another failure this morning of an out of service DART blocking the northbound line outside of Kilbarrack. Going to be another shhtshow this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

LEIN wrote: »
    Add Greystones to that list.

Can I ask, what are the issues in Greystones?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So no dart appearing at portmarnock this morning. Do I risk waiting for the next one? No an already overcrowded service needs to be shared further. Good job guys.

I'm sure those Eastpoint users are counting their blessings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Zulu wrote: »
    So no dart appearing at portmarnock this morning. Do I risk waiting for the next one? No an already overcrowded service needs to be shared further. Good job guys.

I'm sure those Eastpoint users are counting their blessings

See post above

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can I ask, what are the issues in Greystones?

longer running times, no increase in frequency (in fact a couple of services have been removed); still terrible frequency on the weekends. Also what was a clockface timetable is now a mess.

loyatemu wrote: »
    longer running times, no increase in frequency (in fact a couple of services have been removed); still terrible frequency on the weekends. Also what was a clockface timetable is now a mess.

Longer running times would be an issue alright.
    Nothing can be done about the frequency(single track).
    Timetable at the weekends looks decent to me but I suppose that's subjective.
    Don't see the issue with not having a "clockface" timetable tbh, smacks of looking for something to complain about.

In general I'd say Greystones is very well served by public transport, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

I have also noticed there is total inconsistency as regards where the train actually stops on the platform - it varies from driver to driver and means people from both ends tend to have to run and those carriages become over loaded. How hard is it to implement a system and make passengers aware - e.g. next train is 4 carriages

I remember being in Lyon in 2007 on Erasmus as the platforms had different coloured tiles where the doors would be and the train always stopped there....it used to amaze me!! This is a city about the size of Dublin that 11 years ago had 2 metro lines, 2 tram lines and lots of trolley buses that all connected...imagine if we had functioning transport system!

Longer running times would be an issue alright.
    Nothing can be done about the frequency(single track).
    Timetable at the weekends looks decent to me but I suppose that's subjective.
    Don't see the issue with not having a "clockface" timetable tbh, smacks of looking for something to complain about.

In general I'd say Greystones is very well served by public transport, imo.

Add, delaying a live DART with 100s of paying customers on board to move to empty trains, as witnessed in Bray at circa 17:00 yesterday afternoon.
    Many delays getting through Bray because of the length of time it's taking to move the previous terminated service from the platform.
    The driver changeover in Bray that can take up to 4 minutes because of no driver waiting or the changing drivers to finish chatting about the football. There are many issues that paying customers should not be subjected to.

I agree with L re weekend services. Especially daytime hours.

• Advertisement

Add, delaying a live DART with 100s of paying customers on board to move to empty trains, as witnessed in Bray at circa 17:00 yesterday afternoon.
    Many delays getting through Bray because of the length of time it's taking to move the previous terminated service from the platform.
    The driver changeover in Bray that can take up to 4 minutes because of no driver waiting or the changing drivers to finish chatting about the football. There are many issues that paying customers should not be subjected to.

I agree with L re weekend services. Especially daytime hours.

On your first and second points(if I'm reading it wrong, apologies)are you not just stating the same thing? You have a point btw but listing every incident is akin to hyperbole.

On the driver changeover, agreed. I've witnessed this myself and its infuriating.

Your second last point probably needs to be more specific tbh.

Just to note I'm not here to defend Irish Rail by any means but I'm a sucker for verifiable facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Just to note I'm not here to defend Irish Rail by any means but I'm a sucker for verifiable facts.
    Precisely and remember guys the plural of anecdote isn't data.

On your first and second points(if I'm reading it wrong, apologies)are you not just stating the same thing? You have a point btw but listing every incident is akin to hyperbole.

On the driver changeover, agreed. I've witnessed this myself and its infuriating.

Your second last point probably needs to be more specific tbh.

Not sure why but an empty DART came from a south siding to platform one and remained empty and headed back south.
    Another empty train came from a south siding to platform one, this was entering service to Drogheda.
    This is while a fairly busy DART sat on platform two awaiting a clear line to Greystones.

It's common for a DART that terminates in Bray for the driver to leave the cab (fair enough, he/she are finished their respective shifts), the DART can be left sitting there for multiple minutes waiting for another driver to bring it to the siding. While this is unfolding, a DART is sat on the Dargle bridge waiting for the free platform.

Separate issues.

Greystones Station is a busy place at weekends. There are usually decent crowds waiting for each DART. I'm a regular weekend user. Early morning and late evening service is adequate at every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,768 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones Station is a busy place at weekends. There are usually decent crowds waiting for each DART. I'm a regular weekend user. Early morning and late evening service is adequate at every hour.

this wouldn't even cost much to improve - every second Dart going to Greystones at the weekend would give a half hour service which would be fine. Would probably only require rostering an extra couple of drivers each day. I don't use the Dart at weekends because I don't want to be sitting around waiting for up to an hour (or possibly more) for a return journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bullpost

skeogh82 wrote: »
    I have also noticed there is total inconsistency as regards where the train actually stops on the platform - it varies from driver to driver and means people from both ends tend to have to run and those carriages become over loaded. How hard is it to implement a system and make passengers aware - e.g. next train is 4 carriages

I remember being in Lyon in 2007 on Erasmus as the platforms had different coloured tiles where the doors would be and the train always stopped there....it used to amaze me!! This is a city about the size of Dublin that 11 years ago had 2 metro lines, 2 tram lines and lots of trolley buses that all connected...imagine if we had functioning transport system!

I get depressed about our ****ty public transport every time I visit the numerous continental cities with great options as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭thomasj

Maybe time to change the title of the thread. More than just DART affected here .

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

When this was being introduced did nobody at IE say to the NTA "this won't work without new rolling stock as well as the new drivers".

..and what was their answer?

I'm getting sick of this money excuse. I've already explained on other threads and this one how lack of investment in PT has literally turned many businesses off coming to Ireland in the last few years (thus COSTING us more money than the investment in PT would cost itself) including those running away from the UK BrexitTannic who specifically cited our PT system as well as our "out not up" housing policy. A top up of rolling stock of the newer type we ordered in 2000 surely can't be that pricey compared to the likes of DU? This is really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

L1011 wrote: »
    First Sligo now in excess of ten minutes late to Maynooth. What is causing this delay every day?

Its losing 3-4 minutes between Sligo-Longford, today was made worse by a TSR taking affect near Longford.

Old Timetable
    05.45-06.57 & dep 06.59 (72m)

New Timetable
    05.40-06.46 & dep 06.47 (67m)

There is no factual basis for them to have reduced the journey time as the majority of services cannot match the new schedule. They have the data but have chosen to ignore it.

The 05.40 this week so far:
    Monday +3
    Tuesday +6
    Wednesday +6
    Thursday +11

Looking as far as Maynooth shows the real problem:
    05.45-08.13 (2h28m)

New
    05.40-07.56 (2h16m)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there ever a single day where every single DART actually turns up? Serious question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Is there ever a single day where every single DART actually turns up? Serious question.

I dunno they have this soviet union style standards system where 5 minutes late counts as "on time" hence all the posters bragging about 94% of services being "on time".

It's not just IE's incompetence though (and as an institution they are) it's the infrastructure it's just overloaded

Advertisement