Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I used to work in the jacob's biscuits factory.

I had to leave after I found out how they put the figs in the fig rolls. Disgusting.

Ha, how? My Mam used to tell me the figs were spiders legs and I believed her.

Anyway.. not near as bad as all of yers, but a few months ago working as a ‘chef’ in a new place, little did I know he actually was just serving frozen chips goujons oven pizzas and onion rings etc. had me hacking onions and tomatoes off with a scissors when customers wanted a ‘margarita’ :o the poor guy didn’t have a clue. I was 19 and I’d know how to run the excuse for a restaurant better myself.

He also pretended I’d have another lad in the kitchen with me but then left me completely alone, working until 2/3 hours after I was supposed to finish, scrubbing the place from top to bottom while they all joked and laughed at the bar with nothing else to do. They’d come in and **** all the dishes there with not even so much as a wipe. No sense of ‘kitchen respect’ what’s so ever. The place is an absolute joke. Wasn’t long leaving. I remember the last night I was there crying with the back pain and frustration of being in that ****hole, 5 min break for a 9 hour shift, all I do now is laugh at the poor ****er thinking he knows how to run his own business, reminiscing on the times he’d run in and tell me to ‘HURRY Up!!’ When he was the one taking ten orders at a time and putting in all them at once, hence making his own mess, and screaming at me to ‘deep fry a frozen goujon’ faster. The place didn’t even have an oven.

Everyday I want to post a review on Facebook, from the employee perspective!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I’m working in a call centre for the hse at the minute. And I do debate leaving everyday. The repetitiveness is very very very frustrating. Sitting in front of a computer screen all day.... but until I find what I actually wanna do I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

door to door sales selling frozen fish...with half the time dealing with disinterested people slamming the door in my face *utterly miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Nobody here has mentioned retail. I work in a store in Cork. We often had holidays booked for us with zero consultation, 4:00am sale shifts after preparing the place for sale late the night before, no breaks and other frequent employment rights violations such as no pay for bank holidays, disciplinary action over nothing, stupid short shifts of about 3 hours and to top it all off I had to deal with the most disgusting customers I have ever met.

One particular scenario that would arise frequently was customers would tell you that it was illegal to not sell at the price displayed and that we were obliged to accept returns on non-faulty items. Quicky shut their mouths when I explained I am a trainee lawyer.................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Not my worst job but the post about retail made me remember -
    Worked in a builders merchants when I was 16. This was a long time ago. So this guy comes in and orders half a dozen items. It took time and the shop filled up with people waiting. I asked the guy if he had an account. "Yes", he replied. "What's your name?" I ask.
    "Everybody knows me", came the reply. "Yes," I said, "but I need your name."
    "Everyone in the town knows me". The Customer is Always Right - to hell with that.
    "Well I don't know you and if you don't give me your name you're not getting the goods"
    The manager came in, knew him, sorted it out and I got a roasting.
    Then he decided I was not an asset to the retail trade and I was "let go".

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^

seems like you're man fancied himself as a small town celebrity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Sal Butamol

Retail is hell

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Telemarketing for a local rag in a dodgy part of Dublin part time during my Masters. Soul destroying and my boss was a total shyster and did me out of commission I was due. Delighted to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Putting Irish film cert stickers over English ones on DVDs and videos in a warehouse....mind numbing...while I finished college and was looking for a real job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I know I've spoken about it before on Boards so I'll not bore people now, but I did work as little better than a slave at one point. As you can imagine, it wasn't pleasant, but oddly not where I was most miserable.

That award goes to being a cleaner (in private houses). I was studying and it was something I could work somewhat around my course, so I thought it would be a good idea. I actually enjoy cleaning my own home, it's just the tidying I don't like. However, what I didn't account for is that people are disgusting. People who take "if it's yellow, let it mellow" far too seriously and I would have to cover my face to walk in to flush the toilet, pungent smells of unknown origin, stains of unknown origin, mouldy food left under sofas so it could near walk off by itself, people leaving their kids baby teeth on the kitchen table... a lot of things I didn't want to touch or go near. It was a stomach churning experience.

• Advertisement

people leaving their kids baby teeth on the kitchen table...

good god! surely not?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

fryup wrote:
    good god! surely not?

Yup, and I really, really hate teeth. Despite having to clean a weeks worth of piss off the rim of toilets, moving the tooth was the closest I'd come to retching.

People are disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Jack hammering in a basement,non stop for nearly a month,old science lab,walls mass concrete,rooms tiny,noise, sweat,filth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Spent a day picking stones out of a field for a local farmer with a few friends years ago. He said he'd "look after us"

He did, with a packet of polo mints between us.

Learned a valuable lesson in negotiation and labour that day.

Other crap jobs:
    • filleting herring and hanging them on hooks to smoke and make kippers , Jesus the smell from the overalls every Monday morning...
    •weeding and packing straw under strawberries
    •filling shampoo in bottles and screwing on the tops. By hand.

Jack hammering in a basement,non stop for nearly a month,old science lab,walls mass concrete,rooms tiny,noise, sweat,filth

Was it under a laundry?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

natashaob6 wrote: »
    I don't know about the worst job in the world but the most boaring job must be working as a security guard. I know there are risks involved and it can be a dangerous job but if i was doing a twelve hour night shift in a large building on my own I would go insane how would you put down the time?

I did this for a few years too, after I first moved to Ireland. The long hours were grim, but I read a mountain of books so seldom got bored.

Some sites were OK, quite comfortable and not much to do. Others were like horror film sets. I spent a couple of months doing 12 hour shifts in a factory that had burnt down - sat in a little sentry box with no electricity, no heating, no running water and no bathroom facilities for £3 per hour (bring your own toilet roll and plastic bag, ugh) :mad:

Having said that, I still hated retail security far more, particularly a Dunnes Stores in the northside of Cork City, where the managers tended to treat you like you were something they'd trod in.

At the time, I had two young children, so I had no choice but to put up with all the crap. Apart from this short period, I've actually been blessed to have jobs that I have thoroughly enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭LolaJJ

I spent about a year working for a department store where I would be dressed by the shop every morning and then have to hang around the areas where the clothes I was wearing were located, but posing as a shopper carrying loads of the department store bags. Was totally confidential too so when people asked me what I did I had be like "I'm in the office doing eh, paperwork"

It was so incredibly boring and I didn't even get to keep the clothes, half the time they put them back out for sale

^^^^^^^^^^

and what was the point in that? in the hope people would buy the clothes you were wearing?

seems strange..is that a common practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Do Pig **** actually exist ? or is that just a made up bull**** job for shock value ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Do Pig **** actually exist ? or is that just a made up bull**** job for shock value ?

They exist alright. A cousin of my ex worked on an industrial pig farm in Cork. They had people that collected the semen from the pigs. All very scientific like :pac:

D3V!L wrote: »
    They exist alright. A cousin of my ex worked on an industrial pig farm in Cork. They had people that collected the semen from the pigs. All very scientific like :pac:

Jaysus, and how long would it take ? I mean would they need to be whacking away at the pig for minutes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

It works a lot quicker with 2 people. One 'stroking' and the other one prods the pig up the bum with an electric rod and and hey bingo there you go!
    Jaysus, and how long would it take ? I mean would they need to be whacking away at the pig for minutes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

duffysfarm wrote: »
    It works a lot quicker with 2 people. One 'stroking' and the other one prods the pig up the bum with an electric rod and and hey bingo there you go!

Cannot remove this image from my mind now :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Working for the Child Support Agency in the UK - death threats and once followed to the train by someone saying "you took my family bitch, I'm going to kill you" - over and over again.

I hadn't btw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Bet he doesn't buy dinner afterwards....

:pac:

ah jaysus!
    direct prostate stimulation! Im clenching here just thinking of it...

A third whispering in his ear.....

"Who's a filthy pig...you are, oh you filthy dirty little piggy...another reacharound? you filthy little swine....

An xgirlfriend of a friend of mine was into breeding horses, when they brought a mare to be covered, sometimes she'd have to "lend a hand" with the stallion. They eventually broke up, I reckon because he could never get over the feelings of inadequacy when she, ahem, held him in her hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

In a former life I was an AH Mod. Dealing with scumbags every day only upside was the free coke and hookers.

Frankie is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

A third whispering in his ear.....

"Who's a filthy pig...you are, oh you filthy dirty little piggy...another reacharound? you filthy little swine....

An xgirlfriend of a friend of mine was into breeding horses, when they brought a mare to be covered, sometimes she'd have to "lend a hand" with the stallion. They eventually broke up, I reckon because he could never get over the feelings of inadequacy when she, ahem, held him in her hand.

You b**tard!!!

My boss now knows I wasn't looking at a Word doc!!

I had to leave the room!!!

Advertisement