Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Putting Irish film cert stickers over English ones on DVDs and videos in a warehouse....mind numbing...while I finished college and was looking for a real job

I always presumed that that job was outsourced to Rehab. You were perhaps a little overqualified :p

arctictree wrote: »
    My sympathies are with the old nag that they bring in to get the mare aroused. He can spend hours at this caressing her while being kicked constantly. Just when she's ready and he's about to mount her, they throw him out in the field and bring in the stallion to finish the job!

I think I fulfilled that sort of role in a nightclub more than once. Didn't get paid though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I think I fulfilled that sort of role in a nightclub more than once. Didn't get paid though.

And to make matters worse, it didn't cost the nag a stitch. I have that sticker too:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Grueller

Picking strawberries
    Picking potatoes
    Rubbing down cars for a panel beater to spray them
    Feeding a cement mixer in a pre cast factory (using a 22 ton tipper load of aggregates every two days, with a shovel)
    Planting seedling trees in a coillte nursery
    Drawing silage
    Joiner
    Packing in a food factory
    Pouring concrete for a large building firm
    Teaching
    Addiction counselling
    Beef farming
    Landscape gardening
    Tile salesman
    Firewood processing
    They are the ones I remember, but the worst of all was mixing the slurry and straw together in a factory to make compost for mushroom growers. The rats were absolutely everywhere due to the filth and the loose grains in the straw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Bull sh1t story ( pun intended).

I think he would have been outside with his bucket at the other side of the bull for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

In a call centre in Belfast, just off the Falls Road. We were cold-calling senior citizens in England and selling them crap they didn't need. We were expected to be making calls constantly, had a few minutes to sell them stuff (they usually just hung up on us, anyway) and straight on to the next. What we sold changed frequently. But one, getting donations to some dodgy sounding animal charity, was a step too far for me. I'd been working there a month and I just unplugged the headset and walked out, unable to take it any more.

I worked there too. Horrible place, logging time spent going to toilet and trying to flog switching gas and electricity to pensioners in england.....worst place ive been in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If they were targeting OAPs not just ringing random numbers, how did they get the phone numbers?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

All of mine were in a 6 month period in Australia

I lasted 19 minutes working in a cold calling office selling solar panels to people over the phone. It was scripted and I made five phone calls, grabbed my back and left. The HR person who interviewed me seen me getting into the lift and asked what I was doing. I just said grabbing a coffee as the doors closed. Cringy looking back

I did door to door sales for 4 weeks, money was actuslly ok and the product was free energy bulbs and plugs which was easy to give away. I got home from work one night and they had a 7 news special about a bunch of Irish Travellers ripping people off doing driveways etc. Every door I knocked the next day, id half of them told me to **** off, I was only a dirty Irish gypsy :)

This led me to a job which was the most pointless I ever did. I worked for a mobile phone company and basically they offered a service instead of voicemail where me or a colleague would answer instead of it going to voicemail, we would then text the reciever of the call the message. I literally got about 400 calls a day where I had to say "Your message please?" The stupid thing is people were opted in automatically and on the weekends you could spend 20 mins on the phone to a person who was drunk, ringing their own phone that they had lost. They assumed you'd taken their phone while they were out etc. Money was stupidly good as I did shift work in there.

Farm work was a doddle compared to all that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard to say as I have enjoyed many things that were work... The Christmas Post was great especially when I got moved int o primary sorting.

At 16, I loved potato picking. Had I been older when War broke out, would have been a Land Girl

some of the supply teaching was hard; apprentices on day release to colleges of further ed who did not want to be there.
    Edifying listening to their hobbies, like "paki bashing"...:eek:

If they were targeting OAPs not just ringing random numbers, how did they get the phone numbers?
    Plenty of databases out there that contain DOB & phone number, back then they were widely available to be bought by marketing companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I dont know about targeting oaps but when i did it, it was either from electoral register or from a loyalty card from a certain big supermarket in Uk....both of which as we were calling during the day were more likely to get through to retired people as they were there to answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

368100 wrote: »
    I dont know about targeting oaps but when i did it, it was either from electoral register or from a loyalty card from a certain big supermarket in Uk....both of which as we were calling during the day were more likely to get through to retired people as they were there to answer

I used to pretend to be a crazy old woman when these sales reps used to call me while living in the UK. It was great craic turning the tables on them. They'd quickly realize there was no chance of making a sale and want to cut me off, but I'd keep them on the line for ages talking jibberish in an old womans voice. Maybe loads of people were at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Grayson wrote: »
    I worked in the supervalu in mullingar about the same time. We had the same sh1t there. The owner was a really religious woman who closed down the butchers on good friday so people wouldn't be able to buy meat. I remember the code for the lotto machine was 8246 because the movement around the keyboard was "the same as blessing yourself".
    :D ah jaysus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

:D ah jaysus!

Yes, and Father and Holy Spirit! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hard to say as I have enjoyed many things that were work... The Christmas Post was great especially when I got moved int o primary sorting.

At 16, I loved potato picking. Had I been older when War broke out, would have been a Land Girl

some of the supply teaching was hard; apprentices on day release to colleges of further ed who did not want to be there.
    Edifying listening to their hobbies, like "paki bashing"...:eek:

I think you're looking for the "Jobs you loved" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Selling outer wall paint door-to-door about fifteen years ago. About four of us would get in car and head to a set of streets and go around knocking, personally demoralising - one of the guys was excellent and was constantly getting referrals and people to sign up, but I was useless and you only got paid if you got X number of referrals - I lasted five days and hated every minute of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

I worked for a German retailer in Coolock, Dublin for two years.

the place really depended on the manager who worked there.

I had 3 in 2 years the one in the middle made the place hell.

she had no life outside the place and would regularly work 12-16 hr shifts herself and expected the same dedication from the staff there.

constant calls to come into work on days off, the same for coming in early on the days you were in.

customers were absolute savages, there was very few days without an incident (ranging from shoplifting to people sh*tting in the aisles)

Glad Im out now.

Door-to-door sales spouting canned yibberish, instructive lesson for a naive teenager.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

joe stodge wrote: »
    I worked for a German retailer in Coolock, Dublin for two years.

the place really depended on the manager who worked there.

I had 3 in 2 years the one in the middle made the place hell.

she had no life outside the place and would regularly work 12-16 hr shifts herself and expected the same dedication from the staff there.

constant calls to come into work on days off, the same for coming in early on the days you were in.

customers were absolute savages, there was very few days without an incident (ranging from shoplifting to people sh*tting in the aisles)

Glad Im out now.

People ****ting in the aisles ??????
    In a supermarket ? WHAT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

People ****ting in the aisles ??????
    In a supermarket ? WHAT ?

yep, no joke.

happened at least twice.

once in a box of broccoli.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Worst job for me was in a housing association in Belfast. I was taking calls from tenants who needed repairs done to their house/flat. It was just so demoralising and the sense of entitlement from some of the tenants was just unbearable.
    I regularly got shouted at for not booking a repairman to go change someone's lightbulbs. Or for not sending someone out to fix a thing that was constantly being broken due to misuse by the tenants. Or for not personally coming to fix a thing if there was no repairmen available to fix it. Or for not being able to get a repairman out to the tenant's house within the hour.
    Worst of all was the bad weather at Christmas 2011 (I think). A woman screamed at me for a solid 40 minutes about how she was going to hold me personally responsible if her mother died from the cold because I couldn't guarantee a repairman would be out to fix her boiler within an hour. Another customer threated to get the UDA after me because I wouldn't book a replacement radiator in for him. I think he had ripped the rad off the wall in a fit of rage about something else and expected us to replace it for free.
    Lasted a year and looking back it 100% impacted on my mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

This thread is beginning to make me think that most people are absolute cnuts. Managers, colleagues, customers: all seem to conspire to make the workplace as nasty a place as possible.

(Thank God I have a job that I love!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

joe stodge wrote: »
    yep, no joke.

happened at least twice.

once in a box of broccoli.

Was the broccoli in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Was the broccoli in it?

Plenty of sweet corn in it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I had a Job in a London Bakery taking the old bread and cakes off the Lorries when they returned from their rounds, feckin Stinking work, smelled like sour cream all the time

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Quantity surveyor and I’m still doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I worked in bookies on Pearse street in Dublin.

It was appalling. Dreadful work, dealing with awful people.

One day this regular came in with docket with odds on it for a horse at 11/1, the live odds on the screen we had said 9/1.
    I told him I had to change the odds on the docket and he went mental, and told me to "Just put it f**king on" so I changed the odds docket and put it on.

Horse came in and your man came to collect his money, he was €400 short as I'd changed the odds.
    He told me I was f**king dead. He was a total scobe so I ignored it for the most part explaining to him that he told me to put it on.

Anyway 5:30pm rolls round and I'm leaving, guess who's waiting for me across the road with a load of his mates with sticks and sh*t.
    Got chased to Pearse Train station.

Never went back.
    Worst. Job. Ever.
    me ..poker dealer ..same...boring nerds with no life and no social skills

also have friends who worked at the dog track ...punters are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Call center. Modern day Victorian work house.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Cleaning the sh1t out of cuckoo clocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

sligojoek wrote: »
    Cleaning the sh1t out of cuckoo clocks.

Better than rocking horses.

• Advertisement

Agricola wrote: »
    Call center. Modern day Victorian work house.

Did they ever allow you to work from home?

Advertisement