Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

(Worst and best)

Teaching! Having to deal with bull**** every day! The students were cool though!

Being a pupil - Some teachers were ok but the others gave you bull**** to deal with every day

Didn't get paid either and my "co-workers" were assholes

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

South Dublin IT buisness, basically computer repar and sales. I done the repairs with a couple of others, the pay was terrible but the work was grand and normally interesting enough.
    The problem was the boss, he was a clueless bully. He actually thought we were in competition with Micrsoft and used to bad mouth Bill Gates to customers, it was cringy.
    He also held the company back, I remember he sold the motherboard of a pc I was using for work for 20 euro but it meant I couldn't use the pc which meant I lost days of work. When he went on holiday every year I think productivity picked up.
    If I wasn't physically picking something up or moving something he thought I wasn't working despite the fact I have 4-5 pcs on that I was fixing. He would stand over my shoulder watching me work and I'd have to tell him to go away.
    He would regularly try to keep me late which meant I constantly missed my bus and had to wait another hour for one.

The worst thing about him was the bullying though, he made the girls that worked there cry all the time and their was a really timid foreign guy that he used to really pick on , shouting at him in front of customers.
    We nearly came to blows a couple of times and it got to the stage where we didn't speak and he ask the other staff to tell me stuff.
    It was common for people to ring in sick every couple of weeks, it was just so stressful and toxic working there.
    One day he tried to threaten my job in front of his new girlfriend so I just said fine and walked out, he proceeded to follow me telling me "You're not being fired, you're not being fired". I still remember leaving that place as one of the best days of my life.

The company is still going and the same moron is running it. He is a complete spoofer trying to pretend they invented a product when all they have done is get it rebranded in China and pretend they make it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

When I was 21 I worked in a small run Summer camp in the town, as it was so small some days we'd accept walks ins, the 'camp' was more like a cheap childminding service for passers by who wanted to do their shopping in peace. I was often left alone to mind the kids and manage the business while the owner wasn't bothered showing up.
    Mostly it was fine, the pay was terrible, most of the income went on rent payments, insurance and supplies so there wasnt much left over for wages but it was all I could get at the time.

What made it a horrible place to work was the parents, now I understand that they want their kids to be safe and looked after and sometimes parents would insist on staying with their child which I had no problem with generally except for a few occasionas..

One time this man came in with his little girl, he sat down at the arts and crafts table and questioned me like I was a criminal trying to kidnap his child. - I was a very timid 21 year old trying to make a bit of money between college mid terms - He gave me a death stare asking intimidating questions, the other children were picking up on it, usually the room was filled with children chattering/shouting/playing and generally having fun. but throughout him being there, the room was total silence, the atmosphere was heavy and uncomfortable. He eventually left just after he threatened to kill me if I upset his child, after he left he kept walking by the building and peering in the windows.
    Another parent came in and insisted on staying with her newborn baby who screeched and screamed continuously, so much that we couldnt play any of the planned games or activities. When I suggested she leave she refused.
    Another parent questioned everything I was doing and wanted to know why I was using cheap poster paints, why I wasnt using more expensive materials, why I was helping a child (who had Dyspraxia) cut shapes out of a sheet of paper, why I wasnt paying more attention to her child, why I wouldnt allow her child to take home some of the Summer camp materials, then she argued the price and refused to pay when leaving.
    Another time a group of rough kids walked in off the street, threatened a few kids, stole some money, ripped art work off the walls, threatened to beat me up and knocked over a couple of tables. When I finally got them out I locked the doors, after which they hung around outside banging the doors and windows trying to get back in.

Not the worst job I ever had but not something id be interested in doing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

HSE middle manager. Frustrated by incompetence at all levels, waste of resources, penny-pinching about the wrong things (penny wise & pound foolish), union intransigence aided and abetted by HR from time to time, perpetual overspend with no commensurate increase in quality of care, endless policy documents which rarely are implemented in full, senior management never seem to stay long enough to be held accountable for failure to change in any meaningful way..... I could go on and on...……… Roll on retirement!

Advertisement