Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's The Worst Job You Ever Had?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Although my year in Dell also sucked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Connecting a new housing estates sewer to the main town sewer during the summer. Really sh1t job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    Working in a potato factory. 10+ hours days standing on the grader where you would pick off any potatoes not worthy of being displayed on the shelves in Tesco and throw them down a shoot, to be sold on for cattle feed. Took me ages to realise the sprained wrists I was somehow waking up with were actually repetitive strain injury :pac:

Speaking of potatoes to earn some pocket money for the Summer holidays my friend and i used to work for a farmer picking potatoes and footing turf. I still suffer today from back pain as i would spent eight hours a day bending and in severe pain. I wouln'd wish it on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

In Australia, myself and a friend applied for a job in 'marketing'. Our first day in the office we were told we would be working 'out in the field'. Not til we got off the bus did I realise I would be spending the rest of the day knocking on peoples doors in suburban Melbourne asking them to sign up for monthly direct debits to a charity. Not even selling them anything. I somehow suffered through 2 and a half days before packing it in.

I got another job as a labourer for a company doing roadworks. I was literally digging trenches in 40 degree heat for 12+ hours at a time. That job was a dream in comparison to knocking on doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Night shift in a biscuit factory where I wore a stupid plastic hat and sat on a tall chair in front of a wide white conveyor belt that wound around the entire warehouse. I had a long handled spatula thing, and my job - my ONLY job! - was to turn over the chocolate biscuits that were facing down. I kid you not. 10 hours, 5 nights a week of brown dots moving hypnotically on a white background in front of my eyes. I was saving to go traveling, otherwise I would have lost my mind. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Worked as a cleaner cleaning office blocks in Manchester a little while back.

People were sound, but the work was incredibly tedious.

Malayalam wrote: »
    Night shift in a biscuit factory where I wore a stupid plastic hat and sat on a tall chair in front of a wide white conveyor belt that wound around the entire warehouse. I had a long handled spatula thing, and my job - my ONLY job! - was to turn over the chocolate biscuits that were facing down. I kid you not. 10 hours, 5 nights a week of brown dots moving hypnotically on a white background in front of my eyes. I was saving to go traveling, otherwise I would have lost my mind. :P

Jaysus the lenghts some of us went to earn a few bob. Your employer took the biscuit when offering you that job.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

BIGT4464 wrote:
    Although my year in Dell also sucked

Dell was a a great place to work, I earned loads of money in the years I worked there from 2002-2005.

My worst job was Smart telecom. A week of broadband training, which was not too bad, until I got onto the sales floor. They used the same network as magnet which gave you a very limited customer base. I was revved up and ready to go, then to be told that one day you will work your way up to sell broadband...

Anyway, I was given a desk in a room of about 100 reps and told we had to sell telephone packages, the target was 5 sales per day or 25 per week, based on 300 calls per day. Basic maths tells you 5x100 reps is 500 expected sales per day.

The management team had told us that 50% of the reps were hitting or overachieving their targets.

The majority of the poor people we were calling had been called at least once by other reps that day already and were basically being harassed.

On the first day, there were 8 sales on the entire floor, 5 the next day and I didn't go back for day 3..

Disgraceful company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Hotels for me.

Zero hour contracts and idiot "Managers".

if you weren't in the smokers crew you got the late shifts and where the first to have your hours cut when it came to quite periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭yogi37

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    Working in a potato factory. 10+ hours days standing on the grader where you would pick off any potatoes not worthy of being displayed on the shelves in Tesco and throw them down a shoot, to be sold on for cattle feed. Took me ages to realise the sprained wrists I was somehow waking up with were actually repetitive strain injury :pac:

I did this for a few summers as a young lad. Did not actually mind it myself. There was probably a bit more variety for me than just grading spuds but thats what I did a lot of the time. I suppose I didnt mind it seen I was a 15 year old with £100 or so in my pocket on a Friday. I dont imagine I'd enjoy it as much now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Rubbish recycling centre, miserable work for miserable pay.

Freezing in winter and flies everywhere in summer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Working in Abrakebabra during a college summer or telemarketing. Awful.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

tedpan wrote: »
    Dell was a a great place to work, I earned loads of money in the years I worked there from 2002-2005.

My worst job was Smart telecom. A week of broadband training, which was not too bad, until I got onto the sales floor. They used the same network as magnet which gave you a very limited customer base. I was revved up and ready to go, then to be told that one day you will work your way up to sell broadband...

Anyway, I was given a desk in a room of about 100 reps and told we had to sell telephone packages, the target was 5 sales per day or 25 per week, based on 300 calls per day. Basic maths tells you 5x100 reps is 500 expected sales per day.

The management team had told us that 50% of the reps were hitting or overachieving their targets.

The majority of the poor people we were calling had been called at least once by other reps that day already and were basically being harassed.

On the first day, there were 8 sales on the entire floor, 5 the next day and I didn't go back for day 3..

Disgraceful company.

Some companies really take the ****ing piss ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Production line in medtronic. Twas awful brain numbing sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

yogi37 wrote: »
    In Australia, myself and a friend applied for a job in 'marketing'. Our first day in the office we were told we would be working 'out in the field'. Not til we got off the bus did I realise I would be spending the rest of the day knocking on peoples doors in suburban Melbourne asking them to sign up for monthly direct debits to a charity. Not even selling them anything. I somehow suffered through 2 and a half days before packing it in.

I got another job as a labourer for a company doing roadworks. I was literally digging trenches in 40 degree heat for 12+ hours at a time. That job was a dream in comparison to knocking on doors.

Ended up in something similar in Perth, started selling gym memberships. I’ll never forget when a fella in a wheelchair opened the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I remember also (jaysus I've worked some ****E jobs) working in a pharmaceutical place.
    It was a temp job while looking for decent work after I returned from traveling.
    The job was basically watching pills go by and removing damaged ones from the conveyor belt - mind numbingly sould destroying crap - and the noise in the place was really terrible.

The manager was sound when I started , really dead on - too sound in fact.
    After about 2 weeks I got a techy job
    When I gave my notice, he turned into an ignorant rude prick - like he couldn't stand I was leaving for a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Picking lobsters out of Jayne Mansfield's arse.

Look it up. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Malayalam wrote: »

I never did shift work but worked in a manufacturing plant and some of the lads and girls from another department did the night shift. One week on, one week off. Id still see them cause of my times and you could always tell their mood was so different depending on the day or night shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I like this thread. Makes me feel better abouty ****ty jobs in my youth.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BilboBagOfCans

Cleaning toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Cleaning toilets.

Yes, as a girl I worked for 3 months as a contract toilet cleaner in a central train station in a city in Europe - men and womens toilets....I am cheerful by nature but that job was almost enough to make me lose my faith in humankind.

673.jpg

Cleaning toilets.

That really must have been a sh***y job.

you do know what a fluffer is, right?

I don't can you tell me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I worked lift maintenance , it had its "ups" but it also had its "downs".

I worked lift maintenance , it had its "ups" but it also had its "downs".

I had a friend who worked as a grave digger anytime he got himself in to trouble he dug himself a deeper hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

When I was around 11, these lads asked my friends and I to deliver some leaflets for them around the estate and said they'd give us a pound each but when we finished, they wouldnt give us the money! :pac: Meanies :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I worked doing lv2 tech support in a call center.

10 hour days of being screamed at by people over issues with there computers phones tablets watches accounts billing you name it.

I had to know each product inside out. targets were crazy have a issues fixed in less then 13 mins. The 1st few mins of the calls was going over what the last person might have done and ask the same quastions again.

IT was also work from home and never meet anyone I worked with it was soul distrying 6 months!!.

A on site job came up I asked can I go for it was told no I was needed on the phones handed in my notice the week later as I had allresdy got a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

valoren wrote: »
    Left college in 2002 in the dip following the dotcom crash/911 recession. IT jobs were scarce and I ended up taking a job as a 'Reservation Sales Associate' with a worldwide chain of hotels. I only took it for the money which wasn't much anyway.

My rota was the US market so hours were 3.30pm to Midnight and the role was to field the toll free number to help people booking rooms. The 'sales' aspect was essentially to convince them to upgrade and extol the virtues of these better rooms. I hated it with a passion and the calls were just relentless. To keep my sanity I kept note of daily call volumes which amounted to 125 calls per day on average. I actually marked them on my note book in the same way a prisoner marks their days with an X. It looked like a matrix of X's with the dates for each shift.

The soul destroying aspect was that foreign language speakers were less busy. So much so that one of the french speakers took to reading a variety of novels with his feet up and was lucky to get perhaps 12 calls a day. Le Meh! It didn't help to know they were paid 20% more because they had the skill of speaking their native tongue. You also needed to log the time you used for the toilet, you were secretly listened to on occasion by supervisors for 'training' purposes and after getting sufficient warnings about my complete lack of enthusiasm I was let go to my immense and utter delight.

I still regard that day as a peak experience. A burden had been lifted. Now it wasn't like I'd been working in a coal mine but these kind of jobs run it close. To this day I actually hate using office phones and would never ever be rude or condescending to any call center workers ringing me.

Just change the nature of the calls and you've got my story. No-one believes now that there was a recession at the time...

Lorelli! wrote: »
    When I was around 11, these lads asked my friends and I to deliver some leaflets for them around the estate and said they'd give us a pound each but when we finished, they wouldnt give us the money! :pac: Meanies :(:)

Myself and my friends got caught loads of times. When I was in primary school this man would be standing outside the school gate waiting for us after school. If he did that now he would be arrested. He would have hundreds of leaflets and would promise us if we delivered some leaflets for him he would pay us. We would dump them in the nearest bin. He must have been following us or else he was physic because we never got paid. We thought we'd pull a fast one but the last laugh was on us. To make matters worse we chanced our arm a few weeks later and got caught out again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bells2018

My list is extensive, but the worst job was in 2008 when I worked as a cleaner at the end of Elctric PicNic (the next day). I got the job though an agency from Dublin.
    To sum things up, the supervisors treated us like ****. They would shout at you as if you were a dog or something like that. There was no safety training and we had to bring our own gloves(!!!) to pick up the rubbish from the ground...
    There was a hailstorm during the day so a couple of people and I got under a tent as the hail was really hurting us. One of the "lovely" ladies was raging and came across the field to the tent we were in. Once there, she started to shout and scream like she was possessed by Lucifer himself, telling us to leave the tent immediately. I explained to her that the hail was husrting us and we would move as soon as it stopped (most people working looked for shelter ). There was no negotiation. She nearly grabbed me by the arm to pull me away from the tent. Oh boy...I told her not to get near me or I would call the gards, etc. Anyways, stayed inside the tent and only left when the storm stopped and did little work after this. Herself and the other ladies all carried those huge , strong umbrellas, btw.
    This was supposed to be a week's long job, but needless to day I did not show up for my next shift. It was hell on earth!
    All this $ht for only €60 net payment for 10 hours working.

Advertisement