Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,245 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

eyrie wrote: »
    I've never used any of the high 5 or any kind of electrolyte type things (high 5 tablets are electrolytes, right? :confused:). Do we really need them? If so I guess I should start trying them out...
    I think I've been going for blissful ignorance and ignoring all this stuff!

I dabbled a bit a few months ago running without gels, jellies, or even much water, based on the idea that if I was able to complete the runs without them it might prepare me better for running on empty in the marathon.

After a few runs and a bit of reflection, I realised that it didn't make much sense for a runner of my level, I'm not going to be doing any ultramarathons or spartan races, I don't need to adapt my body to burn this or that.

I think that no matter how fit you are, when you run and sweat you are burning energy, losing salts and dehydrating. You could train yourself to suffer that, or you could just save yourself the pain and replace them as you run.

Drinks and gels that replace those salts and sugars are a bit of a no-lose item as far as I can see, as long as you find one that suits you then there are no real drawbacks to taking them, but potentially a lot of benefits.

Maybe you could complete the run on nothing but flavoured water. But maybe you could take some tailwind or zero tabs, replace those lost electrolytes and still feel fresh while finishing it, maybe even fresh enough to finish it quicker or recover quicker and do another good run the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi guys, I have a problem. I got some bloods done recently as I wasn't feeling great. My potassium level came back quite high. They were rechecked and still very high. I've been advised to miss the PMP run tomorrow, at least, and to hydrate like there's no tomorrow.

Has anyone been through something like this before and were you able to keep training?

Thanks guys x

I haven’t but take the medical advice. Don’t worry about missing out on the pmp run. You have been doing great training. Maybe just do easy runs for the time being if you are allowed do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I haven’t but take the medical advice. Don’t worry about missing out on the pmp run. You have been doing great training. Maybe just do easy runs for the time being if you are allowed do them.

Thanks Kellygirl, I appreciate the reply.

Hi guys, I have a problem. I got some bloods done recently as I wasn't feeling great. My potassium level came back quite high. They were rechecked and still very high. I've been advised to miss the PMP run tomorrow, at least, and to hydrate like there's no tomorrow.

Has anyone been through something like this before and were you able to keep training?

Thanks guys x

Also, I just check The High 5 Zero tablets and they contain Potassium - just in case you are using them, you might need to check what you can take to keep your eelectrolytes balanced for long distance running. The amounts may be negligible- I don’t have a clue but better be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I dabbled a bit a few months ago running without gels, jellies, or even much water, based on the idea that if I was able to complete the runs without them it might prepare me better for running on empty in the marathon.

After a few runs and a bit of reflection, I realised that it didn't make much sense for a runner of my level, I'm not going to be doing any ultramarathons or spartan races, I don't need to adapt my body to burn this or that.

I think that no matter how fit you are, when you run and sweat you are burning energy, losing salts and dehydrating. You could train yourself to suffer that, or you could just save yourself the pain and replace them as you run.

Drinks and gels that replace those salts and sugars are a bit of a no-lose item as far as I can see, as long as you find one that suits you then there are no real drawbacks to taking them, but potentially a lot of benefits.

Maybe you could complete the run on nothing but flavoured water. But maybe you could take some tailwind or zero tabs, replace those lost electrolytes and still feel fresh while finishing it, maybe even fresh enough to finish it quicker or recover quicker and do another good run the next day...

This one made me laugh out loud!! Not that there is anything wrong with it but just remembering my DCM experience last year in relation to some of the things you say :pac:

For anyone who is thinking of doing this without fuelling ( which I think is nobody thankfully), forget it. Bring more than you will need. Not because it's necessary but because your head will start to play tricks with you. The price of failure will be too big. After I passed the 18m mark last year I took any water, gels, lucozade, sweets from kids on the roadside.....fook it if there was a black market for zero tabs I would have paid a tenner a tab!! Why you might ask...because I didn't want months of training and a well run race to that point to go to waste because I hadn't fuelled well. Better safe than sorry became my motto! Get it into ya! Don't give your mind a reason to let the body stop. :)

Another good run the next day! Then you didn't finish hard enough! :D

• Advertisement

Helenasca wrote: »
    Should high 5 tabs be taken aswell as energy gels? I was just planning on the gels and couple of small sips of water. Don't fancy drinking too much and it sloshing around.

The energy gels are just carbs and not for hydration. The High 5 tablets are to keep your electrolytes in check so my advice would be take a couple each day for a few days before a long run and I always have one in my water after my long runs too. I don’t take them during my long runs normally but do on race day when the pace would be faster and prob sweating more.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Helenasca

OK perfect. I got a tube of them in that set from halfords so will try them this wk during my LSR.

I ordered my new running top with my name on the front, so I'm excited to give that a spin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Thanks guys x

Sorry, I have no experience of anything like this. Just do what the doc says. Your health is most important. As K has said you are in a great place with your training and a short hiccup won't set you back.

OK perfect. I got a tube of them in that set from halfords so will try them this wk during my LSR.

I ordered my new running top with my name on the front, so I'm excited to give that a spin too.

Maybe try one the day before your long run. They have never given me any ill effects but just in case you don’t want to be in trouble on your long run.

Great idea having the top with your name on it. I had last year and it’s brilliant everybody calling your name - but I kept looking round me then in case I knew the person who was calling me too :D

I've already forewarned ppl I know to call me by my nickname sca or bells to avoid this happening ha.

• Advertisement

I've already forewarned ppl I know to call me by my nickname sca or bells to avoid this happening ha.

You are seriously organized!

Kellygirl wrote:
    You are seriously organized!

Haha. I just know I'll need everything possible to help me get me round it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bluestone

I ran this too & very enjoyable but tough enough course. Lovely morning for it too. Enough runners that you were never totally isolated. Did an easy 4 mile warmup and never arrived at the start feeling so ready for a race albeit I was about half a minute late for the off. Got around in 1.58 so delighted with that. If I can transfer that to Dublin I’ll be happy out. Agreed on the Great support at random houses along the backroads. Would run it again
    smeal wrote: »
    A friend invited me down to the Ros Go Run Half Marathon in Roscommon today. Very small but extremely enjoyable race with excellent support along the way!

Verrrry hilly and I was planning on just using it as an LSR but felt good and pushed on for the last few miles. Came in at a 2:08 which I was happy with. Didn’t wanna kill myself for fear of injury at this point but at the same time wanted a bit of satisfaction at the end. Was planning on doing an extra 2 mile after it but to be honest I got chatting to a few sound strangers at the finish line and was cooled down by that point.

Went to the sauna and icebaths after for a good recovery session and did a half hour of physio stretches so hoping to get out for a nice strong recovery run tomorrow evening.

Well done everyone on the 20milers this weekend!! Not quite there myself yet but soon..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Sorry, I have no experience of anything like this. Just do what the doc says. Your health is most important. As K has said you are in a great place with your training and a short hiccup won't set you back.

Thanks skyblue.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Busy week so far for myself. I got the first run in super early on Monday starting out just after 5:30am. So early I think I was the only one on Strava with a recorded run for the week! Followed that up with a PMP run on Tuesday evening. That one was eventful. I basically got in from work and got out. At about 3-4K I started to feel pains in my stomach. Felt like hunger pains to be honest. Didn’t go away and I resolved to turn my 13K run into an 8K Run. Mentally I was bashing and doubting myself, particularly after the LSR at the weekend not going entirely to plan. However, as I headed to the 5K mark, I started to collect myself and everything started to click. Kept my head down, kept running and got my distance in. So that was a big win in my head at least.

Last night was my tune up with the physio. She gave the legs a good working over. Good report card as well. Couple of tight spots on the upper legs to work on and keep an eye on, but nothing that can’t be handled. I know I’ve tended to focus on the lower legs anyway with the foam roller given past issues with plantar fasciitis anyway.

Given the timing of the session, I’m going to ditch the third midweek run to give some proper time for her work to settle in. Things are hectic over the weekend anyway. I’ve my graduation tomorrow, followed by a trip with the wife up to Belfast then to celebrate that. So won’t be back until late Saturday night. I want to have myself primed to tackle the 21K LSR. I’d rather be ready for that than trying to shoehorn in an 8K easy either late tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

racersedge wrote: »
    Busy week so far for myself. I got the first run in super early on Monday starting out just after 5:30am. So early I think I was the only one on Strava with a recorded run for the week! Followed that up with a PMP run on Tuesday evening. That one was eventful. I basically got in from work and got out. At about 3-4K I started to feel pains in my stomach. Felt like hunger pains to be honest. Didn’t go away and I resolved to turn my 13K run into an 8K Run. Mentally I was bashing and doubting myself, particularly after the LSR at the weekend not going entirely to plan. However, as I headed to the 5K mark, I started to collect myself and everything started to click. Kept my head down, kept running and got my distance in. So that was a big win in my head at least.

Last night was my tune up with the physio. She gave the legs a good working over. Good report card as well. Couple of tight spots on the upper legs to work on and keep an eye on, but nothing that can’t be handled. I know I’ve tended to focus on the lower legs anyway with the foam roller given past issues with plantar fasciitis anyway.

Given the timing of the session, I’m going to ditch the third midweek run to give some proper time for her work to settle in. Things are hectic over the weekend anyway. I’ve my graduation tomorrow, followed by a trip with the wife up to Belfast then to celebrate that. So won’t be back until late Saturday night. I want to have myself primed to tackle the 21K LSR. I’d rather be ready for that than trying to shoehorn in an 8K easy either late tonight.

Enjoy the graduation, I’m sure a lot of hard work went into it....can’t believe there’s life outside of Marathon training!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭racersedge

Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    Enjoy the graduation, I’m sure a lot of hard work went into it....can’t believe there’s life outside of Marathon training!

Thanks! Lot of hard graft Involved - particularly as I did it part-time while working. Signing up for the marathon was my way of making sure I didn’t follow up with the Masters! Traded one lot of hard work for another with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks! Lot of hard graft Involved - particularly as I did it part-time while working. Signing up for the marathon was my way of making sure I didn’t follow up with the Masters! Traded one lot of hard work for another with it!!!

Sounds familiar :p Enjoy the graduation. You deserve it!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Didn’t go away and I resolved to turn my 13K run into an 8K Run. Mentally I was bashing and doubting myself, particularly after the LSR at the weekend not going entirely to plan. However, as I headed to the 5K mark, I started to collect myself and everything started to click. Kept my head down, kept running and got my distance in. So that was a big win in my head at least.

This happens me more than I care to admit, at about 3 miles I say "I will stop at 5 tonight" and when I get to 5 miles I say "I am more than able to keep going for the planned distance.

Enjoy the graduation!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

I am currently laid low with a bad cold

I got a short run in earlier this week before the cold ramped up

Hoping to be able for the lsr at the weekend but will see how things go between no and then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Hi everyone - just a few questions....I'm still trying to figure out how to fuel etc - have been a bit adhoc in my runs to date just using whats in the cupboard but would like to have a set strategy for the day - tried a gel on one run and I didnt have any adverse reactions but didnt really like it. Thinking of trying chews which might be a little more palatable - they seem like they are basically just a gel but chewable - has anyone tried them??

DCM website recommends 50g carbs 1 hour after the start of the race and every hour thereafter - is this right? I remember skyblue posting something about up to date recommendations a while back?

Also - is there any reason not to drink the lucozade sport they hand out on the day - do you also need to try this out on a run? if you combine these with a gel or other fuel are you overloading? Is it possible to overload? TIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

Also - is there any reason not to drink the lucozade sport they hand out on the day - do you also need to try this out on a run? if you combine these with a gel or other fuel are you overloading? Is it possible to overload? TIA!

I drank a big bottle of lucozade sport and ate a gel before a game of football before and found it was too much for me during the match. I guess everyone is different but personally would take it handy on the lucozade if taking gels too..

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    Hi everyone - just a few questions....I'm still trying to figure out how to fuel etc - have been a bit adhoc in my runs to date just using whats in the cupboard but would like to have a set strategy for the day - tried a gel on one run and I didnt have any adverse reactions but didnt really like it. Thinking of trying chews which might be a little more palatable - they seem like they are basically just a gel but chewable - has anyone tried them??

DCM website recommends 50g carbs 1 hour after the start of the race and every hour thereafter - is this right? I remember skyblue posting something about up to date recommendations a while back?

Everybody has their preference so worth trying. I wasn’t gone on the chews but others are. I don’t like the thick gels but the already diluted High 5 Isogels or Aqua gels (new name) are very easy to take.

With the Lucozade Sport last year it was handed out in those large bottles that you wouldn’t carry for too long so people were taking small gulps and throwing the entire bottles away. The may give cups too, I’m not too sure. I think the only problem with having too much lucozade on top of gels would be the sloshing round your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

think the only problem with having too much lucozade on top of gels would be the sloshing round your stomach.

That much sugar may play havoc with some people’s stomachs to, if taking a gel, even an ISOGel try taking it with water rather than washing it down lith Lucozade sport, unless you have a stomach like a skip!!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

OOnegative wrote: »
    That much sugar may play havoc with some people’s stomachs to, if taking a gel, even an ISOGel try taking it with water rather than washing it down lith Lucozade sport, unless you have a stomach like a skip!!

I actually might have a stomach like a skip.... but the day to test that out is not the day of the marathon!!!! Thanks for the responses!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Rossi7

Try to test it out this weekend as your slowly running ( pardon the pun ) out of LSR to try out what best suits you. I bought those Cliff blocks, I was told afterwards that 3 blocks are the same as what one gel does. Don't fancy running around Dublin like a sweet shop so I'll revert back to the gels. I used two blocks on my 20m LSR on Saturday purely to take away the hunger in between two gels.
    If you check out the course of the DCM website they show exactly where and what they have at the water stations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

With the Lucozade Sport last year it was handed out in those large bottles that you wouldn’t carry for too long so people were taking small gulps and throwing the entire bottles away. The may give cups too, I’m not too sure. I think the only problem with having too much lucozade on top of gels would be the sloshing round your stomach.

The water station I assisted at last year (19 mile mark or so) had Lucozade sport in cups iirc. Made for sticky volunteers, but certainly less wastage!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Lads and lassies,

Dealz are doing energy Gels for 1.50 a pop(apple pie and raspberry ripple flavour so probably vile). Im running low and wont be near anywhere else that sells my normal brand so I bought a few just there.

Different brand from the ones I normally take but will give them a whirl on this weekends LSR

If I get through the weekend's run without ignominiously sh*ting myself I will let you know.

Come to think of it, if the above worst I will also let you know.

fingers crossed...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Rossi7 wrote: »
    Try to test it out this weekend as your slowly running ( pardon the pun ) out of LSR to try out what best suits you. I bought those Cliff blocks, I was told afterwards that 3 blocks are the same as what one gel does. Don't fancy running around Dublin like a sweet shop so I'll revert back to the gels. I used two blocks on my 20m LSR on Saturday purely to take away the hunger in between two gels.
    If you check out the course of the DCM website they show exactly where and what they have at the water stations

I'm curious on this as well, how many gels would you be recommended to take during the marathon? I'v tried the Clif Shot Bloks and found them very good, but having to take one every 2 miles or so could end up getting annoying.

I have some Tailwind samples that I'm gonna try this weekend as well to give me another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

Lads and lassies,

Dealz are doing energy Gels for 1.50 a pop(apple pie and raspberry ripple flavour so probably vile). Im running low and wont be near anywhere else that sells my normal brand so I bought a few just there.

Different brand from the ones I normally take but will give them a whirl on this weekends LSR

If I get through the weekend's run without ignominiously sh*ting myself I will let you know.

Come to think of it, if the above worst I will also let you know.

fingers crossed...

I bought a box of 20 High5 Energy Gels on Chain Reaction Cycles website for 22.50.

Advertisement