Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Saw a bus driver nearly take out a cyclist on the south quays just before Parliament Street yesterday.

I take it when a bus is pulling out from the bus stop bay and into the bus lane (adjacent to it), a cyclist already in that lane has right of way? This guy just lashed on the indicator and pulled out as she was nearly past him. I could see him in his mirror, he definitely saw her, but still pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

The bus lane on the New Nangor Road heading west is where I get most of my close passes and experience aggressive driving.

The first clip was my first time using Traffic Watch. I got a call from a Garda station a little over 2 months later. I was happy with how they dealt with it. Said fines / penalties for using the bus lane and driving without due care would be sent out.

I also reported the second clip. Had a missed call from a Garda station late one Saturday evening and over the next couple of weeks I called the station three times but they were not able to put me in touch with the person dealing with it. Shift change had just happened etc. I just left my details with the person on my last call and left it at that. I don't want to be the crank that is annoying the station! So I've mixed views from reporting these things.

After the second clip I make the effort to cycle to the right of the left-hand line that a car's wheels would use (if that makes sense). Just to stop those close passes. But it doesn't stop vehicles moving across and pushing you back into the gutter or coming up behind and beeping the horn. Hence the third clip from this Wednesday. It goes on a bit - just to show where the An Post driver comes from. I've no idea what he was at. I would like to think he was trying to get my attention because he seen what the white car did. I was shaking my hand at the end and pointing towards the driving lane hence why he was beeping. The fact he was driving on the bus lane line at the end when he overtakes me makes me think he was just a jerk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

That lane isn't wide enough for a vehicle to safely overtake, you should be cycling in the middle of it.

By sticking to the left it allows the driver make a bad decision, stick to the middle and make their decision for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

amcalester wrote: »
    stick to the middle and make their decision for them

I hear you amcalester and it's what I did yesterday evening after getting pi**ed off with an overtake. It's a 3km stretch from Naas Road to Clondalkin though and I feel a bit of a bad a** blocking the bus lane for that distance - but you are right - it needs to be done if I want to cut that crap out.

coward wrote: »
    I hear you amcalester and it's what I did yesterday evening after getting pi**ed off with an overtake. It's a 3km stretch from Naas Road to Clondalkin though and I feel a bit of a bad a** blocking the bus lane for that distance - but you are right - it needs to be done if I want to cut that crap out.

You're not blocking the bus lane, the motorists are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's a 3km stretch from Naas Road to Clondalkin though and I feel a bit of a bad a** blocking the bus lane for that distance -

If I'm taking the lane in a bus lane and traffic is moving I'm not bothered. Bus/taxis will be able to overtake. If traffic is slow/stopped, I'll occasionally pull right into the slow-moving traffic to allow a bus to pass in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

In the last few months I've started taking the bus lane completely inbound on the Merrion Road most of the time and let me tell you my life has gotten much more pleasant as a result. It's funny though, every single day at least one - usually more - taxis will pull in from the driving lane JUST to pass me close and then pull out again. To the point where I'm convinced they discuss this at the rank. I usually just miss rush hour so there are two emptyish lanes beside me and no need to close pass in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The bus lane on the New Nangor Road heading west is where I get most of my close passes and experience aggressive driving.

as soon as you encounter a situation where the lane to the right is full, you should always just take the lane to make it clear that no passing is permitted.

If there's honking, ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

The bus lane on the New Nangor Road heading west is where I get most of my close passes and experience aggressive driving....

some more fine examples of arseholery and self-entitlement from the motorists in those clips. or looked at in another way, using their motor vehicles to endanger the well-being of another person and hence should be subject to much more than just 2 or 3 penalty points for using the bus lane.

edited to remove massive quoted post.

mrcheez wrote: »
    as soon as you encounter a situation where the lane to the right is full, you should always just take the lane to make it clear that no passing is permitted.

Wear earphones, can't hear anything then :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ignoring it is good. Dramatically blowing kisses can be good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

It was mentioned previously on this thread that a lot of motorists are unaware how close they are when they pass you.
    I definitely believe some are from witnessing first hand but I believe the majority that close pass are fully aware what they are doing.

My example this morning :

Lets just say I had two stages of my cycle this morn.
    On stage one about a 6k route, its mostly made up of a decent bike lane which i occupied but there is a stretch of approx 1km that I'm on the road which is quite narrow. On this road I had 4 text book passes where the driver gave me ample room, crossed over otherside etc and only passed when safe.(very noticeable)

Stage 2 is about 10km I reckon(again a good part is cycle lanes) where I had approx 4 close passes that I remember on a similar road to stage 1. I had one proper safe overtake that I noticed after 2 hostile ones on the trot.

The only difference between stage 1 and 2 for me is that on stage 1, I had my child in tow and stage 2 I didnt.
    It was very clear to me that in general motorists will give u much more room when a child in tow which I can applaud but why then when I'm on my own do they feel the need to pass within inches. The difference between the two stages of my commute this morning was staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The only difference between stage 1 and 2 for me is that on stage 1, I had my child in tow and stage 2 I didnt.

Hmm, time to buy a doll and stick it on the back I think ...

Hmm, time to buy a doll and stick it on the back I think ...

depends what type of doll I suppose. You wouldn't want to be clearing flies out of an open mouthed one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

It was very clear to me that in general motorists will give u much more room when a child in tow which I can applaud but why then when I'm on my own do they feel the need to pass within inches. The difference between the two stages of my commute this morning was staggering.

I don't see any such difference on my route unfortunately.

On Tuesday evening I had the scariest close pass I've ever experienced. Taking off from the lights at Kevin St heading onto Dean St when a guy in an 07 merc tried to push me out of his way. He was about 200mm from my panniers and I was carrying my two kids too. He had pulled up behind me at the lights so its not like I passed him at the red. I caught up to him at every red from there to James' St. so I caused him no delay either. I have yet to edit down the footage but I'll be showing it to the Gardai as soon as I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Roundwood to Kilmac this morning. Totally unnecessary as can be seen by the space given by the car behind. Nothing whatsoever coming the other way on a fine, wide road. Wheels barely go over the centre line. Just an ar5ehole:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

To be honest I’d feel an a** ending up in A and E because some tool wants to save a few minutes getting to a red light. Plenty of spots around me that are designated bus / bike lanes - there’s no way a bus could safely pass me never mind a private car.

If in doubt, stay out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

i wouldnt call them close shaves but at least twice last week ive had cars zoom by me on bus lanes where the car lane is backed up, because you know turning left gives you permission to use a bus lane or somfing. should i just cycle in the middle of the lane unless i think i have a bus behind me? or just put up with it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

silverharp wrote: »
    i wouldnt call them close shaves but at least twice last week ive had cars zoom by me on bus lanes where the car lane is backed up, because you know turning left gives you permission to use a bus lane or somfing. should i just cycle in the middle of the lane unless i think i have a bus behind me? or just put up with it?

You should cycle in the middle of the lane even if it is a bus. If there’s no traffic next to the lane, there’s room for anyone to overtake. If there is traffic, then it’s likely to be a close pass.

There is also the case where there’s traffic but still room for an overtake, and in this scenario cycling in the middle of the lane will at least bring them down to your speed first, then you may move more towards the left, but I’d never go hugging a kerb to facilitate an overtake.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

credit to the truck driver here*

It looks like cyclists come from the other side too and the only traffic signal in view is red. Article doesnt give much additional detail. Either way it could have been a lot worse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6145747/Shocking-footage-shows-moment-lorry-ploughs-group-cyclists-London.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

It looks like cyclists come from the other side too and the only traffic signal in view is red. Article doesnt give much additional detail. Either way it could have been a lot worse

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6145747/Shocking-footage-shows-moment-lorry-ploughs-group-cyclists-London.html

Credit to him for plowing through a red light?

Here's the HD uncropped footage. Comments all confirm he ran the red while blaming cyclists for not looking right

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

site_owner wrote: »

Yes, that's it exactly :rolleyes:

It's at the point know where every time I cross the road at lights I'll count to 5 when I get green even then that might not be enough. Fresh red lights mean nothing to a lot of people. Had couple of close ones in the car stopping on an orange this week too as some assume you'll do what they'd do and sail through :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Fresh red lights mean nothing to a lot of people.
    The junction where leopardstown roadabout was is comical. Some of course will stop when it is amber but you see cars sailing past them for ages after. I have seen confused heads on the people who did stop, Their head darting around looking for some other set of lights they might be missing -thinking they should possibly still be going too.

By looks of amount of people crossing he was about to shoot through a light that has been red for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

credit to the truck driver here...

Actually, credit to the frankly brilliant emergency stop technology that is fitted to modern tractor units these days - here's a now-famous incident from Norway.

I'd imagine that the video above would not be fit for public viewing (and would be Police evidence) if the truck driver was driving something older.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

silverharp wrote: »

Middle of the lane in my neighbourhood. Laurel lodge in castleknock is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

By looks of amount of people crossing he was about to shoot through a light that has been red for some time.
    The company involved - Cemex - have history. One of their drivers killed a cyclist in a high profile case in the UK some years back. They have been part of a serious campaign to improve standards of truck drivers around cyclists, along with the family of the cyclist who was killed.

More to do by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

site_owner wrote: »

Here's the HD uncropped footage. Comments all confirm he ran the red while blaming cyclists for not looking right.

Has the video been cropped to intentionally create ambiguity? The black SUV on the left stopped a few seconds before the cyclists moved off. The white van and car probably broke a fresh red light. The truck driver has blown through a full red there for sure. The driver should be tracked down, charged with dangerous driving, and his license should be suspended for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Moflojo wrote: »
    Has the video been cropped to intentionally create ambiguity?

It absolutely has been edited to leave it open to interpretation, cutting out the green cyclist light, the stopped cars, the 3 that probably ran the amber/red, the cyclists on the other side who went on green too and then playing it in weird low-res/low frame rate slowmo

3 vehicles broke the light and the truck was a long time behind. Cyclists saved by the braking technology.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement