Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm thinking of getting getting a rear facing camera, like the Fly6[v] or equivalent. Do i need to download software to use these? I only have a work laptop, and i can't install anything on it.

I know with some CCTV etc you need to install specials players etc to view footage. What's the story with those cameras?

no special software required to review footage etc. can you access a USB drive on the work laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

no special software required to review footage etc. can you access a USB drive on the work laptop?

Yeah, i can transfer photos from my phone onto laptop, so it should be same for the camera.

Punishment pass this morning from a dingus in a white van, he drove up behind me in the bus lane just past the lights at the triangle on the way to Harolds Cross (towards town). He was right up behind me, swerved to go around and then pulled back into the bus lane (where he shouldn't have been). I then went past the flute as he was stuck in traffic.

Stupid, impatient driving.

This is why i need a camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I'm thinking of getting getting a rear facing camera, like the Fly6[v] or equivalent. Do i need to download software to use these? I only have a work laptop, and i can't install anything on it.

I know with some CCTV etc you need to install specials players etc to view footage. What's the story with those cameras?

If its a mac it may not be able to play the cycliq format (avi) by default, I know I had to download VLC player to view or handbrake to edit. Windows should be fine however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The cycle / bus lanes in the south and north quays are quickly becoming lawless. Motorists using them with impunity, punishment passes by taxis and buses. I get it that it's an unpopular move among Dublin's car dependents, but getting frustrated motorists venting on me is water off a duck back. take center lane, stops any silliness and every one gets to work happy (me at least!).

This morning was the turn of a guy on a motorbike - looking at the footage from my rear camera, I'm guessing a 500cc machine. I actually don't mind motorbikes using the shared lanes, but it's when people act like cnuts that it spoils it for everyone. So this morning, matey on the motorbike barged through the advance bike box to the top of the lights at Capel St bridge, then as cyclists overtook him on green, buzzed the guy behind me before skimming me, horn beeping. I told him to "fook off an stop using the cycle lane". He pulled along side me, threatening me (presumably, as his mouth was muffled under his helmet) all the way down to the quays to the halfpenny bridge. Pulled behind me and swerved in and out of other cyclists before having another close pass at me. What the fook is wrong with people? l've no reg, but assuming this is his regular route I'll be keeping an eye out for him tomorrow to get details and report this tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

They record in 10min chunks, so if you want to upload you'll need software to trim the files. I use a very simple one (free video cutter and joiner) but it still needed to be installed.

There might be online tools you can use

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    The cycle / bus lanes in the south and north quays are quickly becoming lawless.
    I've stopped using the north quay for this reason. Prefer to go down dame street and across the bridge, more lights and take more time but can't be dealing with that sh1t that goes on the quays. Regular AGS checkpoints needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Seanmk1

A different kind of near miss this morning. At a red light, and going up the cycle track inside of a white van to stop on the ASL, the van suddenly pulled onto the cycle lane. The passenger then rolled down the window to apologise. He then began to express admiration for my bike. In such a way that made me think that if I hung around much longer, I would no longer be the owner of said bike.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The cyclist got clearly ahead of the van before the van started to move. He was nowhere near his blind spot, and if he was, the blind spot is the van driver's problem to fix.

Just an aggressive, bullying punishment pass - doubt if Gardai will do anything, but any half-decent employer should.

Actually a cyclist needs to be aware of the driver blind spot also and not just rely on the driver "to fix the blind spot".

Its statements like this that encourages cyclists to take silly risks but one should remember its the cyclist that will come out on the losing side.

Your not helping things with your statement
    I beg to differ. It is statements like "oooh you have to watch out for his blind spot" that creates a victim blaming culture. This lets drivers and buyers off the hook, and encourages them to continue to buy and operate dangerous equipment on the public road.

Your (sic) not helping things with your statement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I beg to differ. It is statements like "oooh you have to watch out for his blind spot" that creates a victim blaming culture. This lets drivers and buyers off the hook, and encourages them to continue to buy and operate dangerous equipment on the public road.

The overtake by the van was awful. However, if that cyclist was clipped on the turn or just at the change of lights then they would have had to hold their hands up and realise it was a completely stupid maneuver to make.

You do have to watch out for a blind spot. Saying that does not create a victim blaming culture. No-one is defending the driving, it's awful (and not just because of the danger).

Just because the van was wrong to be forward at the junction, doesn't mean the bike should follow suit.

The safest and quickest approach, is the common sense approach. If you're obstucted, indicate and move out. If some a$$ blocks the lights, wait behind if it seems safer. Don't try and be smart and nip in and out every time, just because being on a bike affords that, don't be one of those people who shout at people for every minor transgression when out on the road. I say this as someone who can get angry quickly, it's not worth it.

• Advertisement

Driving this morning for a few chores as it was raining and heading home coming up to lights everyone getting ready to stop so slowing, luckily, as the clown in front of me had to jam on as he was about to pass a woman on on her bike. Reason? He'd suddenly remembered the lengths of skirting board sticking up and out of his front passenger window by around half a meter or so away from the side of the car :mad:

I've no idea if the woman even noticed how close she was to being lanced in the head/back off her bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

If you put yourself in the drivers blind spot, how do you not share responsibility for the outcome? Irrespective of legal responsibility, you've a responsibility to yourself to be safe. I've a set of traffic lights near me where cars near-constantly break the pedestrian light at high speeds. No point in me just walking out in front of the cars because I'm "in the right".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Blind spots are called that because you're invisible when you're in them. If you don't know you're in a blind spot you're foolish, if you know you're in a drivers blind spot get out of it asap. pointing it out to other cyclists is the right thing to do if you think they are unaware of their position.

Regarding victim blaming sometimes the injured party is to blame whether wholly or partially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

ganmo wrote: »
    Blind spots are called that because you're invisible when you're in them. If you don't know you're in a blind spot you're foolish, if you know you're in a drivers blind spot get out of it asap. pointing it out to other cyclists is the right thing to do if you think they are unaware of their position.

Regarding victim blaming sometimes the injured party is to blame whether wholly or partially.

Invisible? That's a bit much, it's not as if a camouflage cloak drops from the sky when you enter a blind spot. All the driver has to do is look, and they'll see you.

There's also a self-fulfilling prophesy here - if nobody is ever in a blind spot, why would anyone check them?

buffalo wrote: »
    Invisible? That's a bit much, it's not as if a camouflage cloak drops from the sky when you enter a blind spot. All the driver has to do is look, and they'll see you.

There's also a self-fulfilling prophesy here - if nobody is ever in a blind spot, why would anyone check them?

because it is the diligent and correct thing to do.

It's the old 'life saver.' I always use it. I spent too much time driving on motorways and changing lanes and know it can be easy to be caught out.

Always astounded me the amount of times people just lash on the indicators and turn/change lane and give the mirrors the briefest of looks.

I see the same with people on bikes too, just lashing out the arm and not bothering to look at all.

because it is the diligent and correct thing to do.

But it's the cyclist/driver's fault for being in my blindspot - they should know better. If I don't bother or forget to check it, it's at least partially their fault from the below posts.
    xckjoo wrote: »
    If you put yourself in the drivers blind spot, how do you not share responsibility for the outcome?
    Blind spots are called that because you're invisible when you're in them. If you don't know you're in a blind spot you're foolish...

PS I love the phrase 'put yourself in the drivers blind spot', as though that was the person's main purpose for being there, not that they were overtaking stopped car traffic or something.

But it's the cyclist/driver's fault for being in my blindspot - they should know better. If I don't bother or forget to check it, it's at least partially their fault from the below posts.

Dear god these blame games are tiresome. I should have known better than to get involved in the first place. Nobody seems to be capable of understanding nuances anymore.

I'll make my stance on the subject super simple:

Take responsibility for your own safety whenever you possibly can

Being "technically in the right" won't fix broken bodies
    PS I love the phrase 'put yourself in the drivers blind spot', as though that was the person's main purpose for being there, not that they were overtaking stopped car traffic or something.

PS. How else do you end up in the blind spot of a stationary vehicle?????

PS. How else do you end up in the blind spot of a stationary vehicle?????

By using the road? Put it this way - if a 12 year was cycling to school and 'put his or herself in the blind spot' of a fully licensed driver, would you partially blame the cyclist if the driver didn't check it and hit the cyclist?

I'd assume not.

How does it become less the driver's fault for not checking their blind spot because of the physical characteristics of the victim?

I'd agree it's good roadcraft to be aware of where blind spots are and how to avoid them, but it remains fully the driver's responsibility to check their blind spots and no blame should be attached to somebody who's unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time without eyes in the back of their head.

By using the road? Put it this way - if a 12 year was cycling to school and 'put myself in the blind spot' of a fully licensed driver, would you partially blame the cyclist if the driver didn't check it and hit the cyclist?

I'd assume not.

How does it become less the driver's fault for not checking their blind spot because of the physical characteristics of the victim?

I'd agree it's good roadcraft to be aware of where blind spots are and how to avoid them, but it remains fully the driver's responsibility to check their blind spots and no blame should be attached to somebody who's unlucky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time without eyes in the back of their head.

Drivers need to be watching the car infront, car behind, car in the opposite lane, right blindspot, left blindspot, right wingmirror, left wingmirror. road signs, road markings, dashboard dials and pedestrians at all times.
    Watching the blindspots takes the drivers eyes off the rest so the less time cyclists spend in blindspots the safer it is for every road user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

A number of portable apps here that dont require installation, just run from a USB..

https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

The old fly 6 was difficult to download, met a guy with the new fly 6, he uses the garmin virb software, says it is very good.

I've a set of traffic lights near me where cars near-constantly break the pedestrian light at high speeds. No point in me just walking out in front of the cars because I'm "in the right".
    Actually, there is a point in walking out, carefully, in a way that doesn't endanger yourself. Letting them see you walking out is taking back the pedestrian junction for pedestrians. It's yours - so take it, if you can do so safely. If not, wave or shout or slap or do whatever it takes to make it clear that their behaviour is not acceptable.

If you do nothing, it's going to keep on happening.

Weepsie wrote: »
    The overtake by the van was awful. However, if that cyclist was clipped on the turn or just at the change of lights then they would have had to hold their hands up and realise it was a completely stupid maneuver to make.

You do have to watch out for a blind spot. Saying that does not create a victim blaming culture. No-one is defending the driving, it's awful (and not just because of the danger).
    It's not about defending the driving, it's about letting owners/drivers off the hook for buying vehicles with blind spots. If they're going to buy them, they need to buy vehicles with minimal blind spots, and/or fit extra mirrors or cameras, and /or provide extra crew on watch. The blind spot is their problem to fix, not mine.

And sometimes this kind of thinking avoids getting at the root cause of the issue.

Dear god these blame games are tiresome. I should have known better than to get involved in the first place. Nobody seems to be capable of understanding nuances anymore.

I'll make my stance on the subject super simple:

Take responsibility for your own safety whenever you possibly can

Being "technically in the right" won't fix broken bodies
    Fully agree - and letting owners and drivers off the hook will ensure the root cause is never addressed.

By using the road? Put it this way - if a 12 year was cycling to school and 'put myself in the blind spot' of a fully licensed driver, would you partially blame the cyclist if the driver didn't check it and hit the cyclist?

I'd assume not.

+100
    Drivers need to be watching the car infront, car behind, car in the opposite lane, right blindspot, left blindspot, right wingmirror, left wingmirror. road signs, road markings, dashboard dials and pedestrians at all times.
    Watching the blindspots takes the drivers eyes off the rest so the less time cyclists spend in blindspots the safer it is for every road user.
    Well, if it's all too much for them, maybe they need to get extra crew on watch to help them out. If that still a bit much for them, maybe they should get a cargo bike instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wonder do you see the issue with your statement. All of the above checks are routine, quick and easy.

You state the driver should check blindspots, and you are correct.

Having a cyclist in the blindspot (or not) does not negate this so the second part of your statement makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

car this morning passed me on a bend with a speed bump, and although its a ridiculous place to pass, looking back on the video he seemed to giving me some room and not flying along but then about halfway through cut in very tight due to oncoming traffic.

from my perspective while cycling, a car passed me with its wheels almost touching the cycle lane, and my trailer clears the cycle lane by about a foot

passed the driver a few 100 meters up, i was turning right he was going straight, and was given a bunch of fingers to remind me to stay out of his way in future or not react to getting buzzed

By using the road? Put it this way - if a 12 year was cycling to school and 'put his or herself in the blind spot' of a fully licensed driver, would you partially blame the cyclist if the driver didn't check it and hit the cyclist?

I'd assume not.

I don't think it becomes less of the someone elses responsibility if you take some responsibility for your own safety. It's just taking responsibility for your own life and not relying on everyone else to do it for you.

Actually, there is a point in walking out, carefully, in a way that doesn't endanger yourself. Letting them see you walking out is taking back the pedestrian junction for pedestrians. It's yours - so take it, if you can do so safely. If not, wave or shout or slap or do whatever it takes to make it clear that their behaviour is not acceptable.

If you do nothing, it's going to keep on happening.

Did you just advise me to walk in front of moving cars and imply that not doing so makes it the pedestrians fault the driver ran the light? And yet you complain that advising people to stay out of a drivers blind spot is akin to "victim blaming" :confused:

I'll leave the playing in traffic to you Andrew. To everyone else I'd say, please don't follow his advice. Pressure on local council would be the way to address this type of situation.

Edit: Can we all just move on? Everyone agrees that drivers should check their blindspots right? But for all you cyclists out there, be aware that they don't always so watch out when you're on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Outside D6 Dental (Rathmines) earlier. Taxi does a Uey to head back to town in front of an oncoming bus and cyclist (parallel). Gets the first swing done then reverse back across the median just as the bus is about to pass behind him. Bus swerves to dodge and manages to hit neither the cyclist on his left or the taxi on his right. Good work by the bus, useless driving by the taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Came across a car on its side just before Castleknock College this morning. Driver was out and being assisted - looked dazed but uninjured. Saw a cereal bowl beside the car on the ground and wondered if this was a factor in this incident....bit worrying that someone on my commute on a narrow country road could be enjoying a bowl of cornflakes coming against me.....

Did you just advise me to walk in front of moving cars and imply that not doing so makes it the pedestrians fault the driver ran the light? And yet you complain that advising people to stay out of a drivers blind spot is akin to "victim blaming" :confused:

I'll leave the playing in traffic to you Andrew. To everyone else I'd say, please don't follow his advice. Pressure on local council would be the way to address this type of situation.
    I've absolutely no idea where you got the "and imply that not doing so makes it the pedestrians fault the driver ran the light" from. It didn't come from me.

For the record, I've done the "pressure on local council" thing. I've done the "pressure on local Gardai" thing. I've done the "here's video evidence showing the driver driving through the red lights at speed, Garda". None of them work.

It's time to take back the roads and make them safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Saw a cereal bowl beside the car on the ground and wondered if this was a factor in this incident....bit worrying that someone on my commute on a narrow country road could be enjoying a bowl of cornflakes coming against me.....

I'm sure the cereal bowl won't figure in his statement to his insurance company...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement